snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Business » The Golf Club

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Golf Club
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 207 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: This is a quote from #1 NYT Best Seller "Your Best Life Now" by
Joel Osteen. My bet would be that the story is not true. Have you heard
of this one?

-----------------

Years ago, a famous golfer was invited by the king of Saudi Arabia to play
in a golf tournament. He accepted the invitation, and the king flew his
private jet over to the United States to pick up the pro. They played golf
for several days, and enjoyed a good time. As the golfer was getting on
the plane to return to the United States, the king stopped him and said,
"I want to give you a gift for coming all this way and making this time so
special. Anything you want. What could I get you?"

Ever the gentleman, the golfer replied, "Oh, please; don't get me
anything. You've been a gracious host. I've had a wonderful time. I couldn't ask for anything more."

The king was adamant. He said, "No, I insist on giving you something so
you will always remember your journey to our country."

When the golfer realized that the king was resolute, he said, "Okay, fine.
I collect golf clubs. Why don't you give me a golf club?"

He boarded the plane, and on his flight back home, he couldn't help
wondering what kind of golf club the king might give him. He imagined that
it might be a solid gold putter with his name engraved on it. Or maybe it
would be a sand wedge studded with diamonds and jewels. After all, this
would be a gift from the oil-rich king of Saudi Arabia.

When the golfer got home, he watched the mail and the delivery services
every day, to see if his golf club had come yet. Finally, several weeks
later, he received a certified letter from the king of Saudi Arabia. The
U.S. professional thought that rather strange. Where's my golf club? he
wondered. He opened the envelope, and to his surprise, inside he
discovered a deed to a five-hundred-acre golf course in America.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
emperor_genghis_khan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emperor_genghis_khan   E-mail emperor_genghis_khan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had never seen this one but it has all the earmarks of a UL no names, dates or otherinformation that could be verified.

--------------------
Excuses satisfy only those who offer them. Your enemies won't believe them and your friends don't need them.

Posts: 211 | From: Ponce, Puerto Rico | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There are also no golf courses in Saudi Arabia, or there were none there when I lived there (that's a lot of theres) I also don't believe that King Fahd bin Abdul Aziz, King Khalid bin Abdul Aziz, or any of their brothers played golf to begin with.

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RangerDog:
There are also no golf courses in Saudi Arabia

Now that's just not true! [lol]

-

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dewey
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dewey   E-mail dewey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember that plot line in an episode of 77 Sunset Strip which ran from 1958 to 1964 except it was one of the detectives that was so rewarded. I have been searching for the episode but so far have been unsuccessful.

dewey

Posts: 2413 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Robigus, Frozen Mushroom
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robigus, Frozen Mushroom   E-mail Robigus, Frozen Mushroom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RangerDog:
There are also no golf courses in Saudi Arabia, or there were none there when I lived there (that's a lot of theres) I also don't believe that King Fahd bin Abdul Aziz, King Khalid bin Abdul Aziz, or any of their brothers played golf to begin with.

But the OP specifically says
quote:
He opened the envelope, and to his surprise, inside he
discovered a deed to a five-hundred-acre golf course in America.

I would read this as, it took the king a long time to get the gift to the golf pro because he had to find an American golf club to buy.
Posts: 724 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stan The Man
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stan The Man   E-mail Stan The Man   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Opened in 1994 - Four Seasons Riyadh

--------------------
"A horse may be coaxed to drink, but a pencil must be lead" - Stan Laurel

Posts: 249 | From: Dallas | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Robigus, responding to RangerDog writes:
quote:
I would read this as, it took the king a long time to get the gift to the golf pro because he had to find an American golf club to buy.
But the story starts off:
quote:
in a golf tournament. He accepted the invitation, and the king flew his private jet over to the United States to pick up the pro. They played golf
for several days, and enjoyed a good time.

So the golfer was over in Saudi playing golf.

Gibbie

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Robigus, Frozen Mushroom
The First USA Noel

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Robigus, Frozen Mushroom   E-mail Robigus, Frozen Mushroom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gibbie:
Robigus, responding to RangerDog writes:
quote:
But the story starts off:
quote:
in a golf tournament. He accepted the invitation, and the king flew his private jet over to the United States to pick up the pro. They played golf
for several days, and enjoyed a good time.

So the golfer was over in Saudi playing golf.

Gibbie

Actually, I see nothing that says the private plane flew the pro back to Saudi. It just says it flew him to a tournament, location unspecified.

ETA: Okay, I missed this on the first read.
quote:
The king was adamant. He said, "No, I insist on giving you something so
you will always remember your journey to our country."

So, they did play golf in Saudi. My bad.
Posts: 724 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Good research StanTUM, I left the KSA in 1985. The OP fiction mentions a long time ago, and I know there were no courses there then. Actually, we teamed up with the ARAMCO folks and made a couple of 3 hole courses on our compounds. They looked a lot like Jay Tea's picture! [lol] I have pictures somewhere.

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog

Jay Tea...you freakin' crack me up, Dude. We need to toss back a few pints sometime. (or some warm Gin [lol] ) And you have a good eye for photography to boot.

--------------------

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 210 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I heard a rumor that Arnold Palmer was once asked by a Saudi king
to come and play golf with him. Palmer wasn't sure if he should go, but
his friends convinced him. As he was playing the king told him he wanted
to give him a gift for coming to play with him. Palmer declined, but the
king was persistent. Palmer said he could give him a golf club. The king
said he would send it to him. After returning home Palmer got to wondering
what the club would look like. Solid gold? Diamond studded? The package
arrived, but it was not the size of a golf club. Palmer opened it and
found the keys and a deed to a golf club (resort).

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages