snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Business » Change a light bulb, starve the Saudis (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Change a light bulb, starve the Saudis
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 214 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Hello,
Can you please do some research and let me know if the following email I
reived today is true. I couldn't find anything about it on this website.
Thanks for you help!

Following is a copy of the email:
"I just saw this from some energy guru on CNN. So I am starting this (what
I hope to be a "chain" mail)
If everyone in the states changes just 1 regular light bulb in their house
to a florescent bulb that would save the country 1.3 billion barrels of
oil a year, save you $$$, help air quality and most important put a huge
dent in the Saudis bank accounts."

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 605 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If everyone in the states changes just 1 regular light bulb in their house
to a florescent bulb that would save the country 1.3 billion barrels of
oil a year, save you $$$, help air quality and most important put a huge
dent in the Saudis bank accounts."

As long as the world's demand for oil exceeds the supply, our using less oil isn't going to "put a huge dent in the Saudis bank accounts." It just means the Saudis will sell more of their oil to countries other than the U.S.

And, in any case, the people whose bank accounts would be the most dented by decreased U.S. oil imports would be Canadians.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LikeHeyScoob
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LikeHeyScoob   E-mail LikeHeyScoob   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, see, I would do that, but my local store has a one day sale on fluorescent bulbs. The one day is Sunday. Bill O'Reilly says I can't buy gas on Sunday. I can't get to the store with no gas.

I'm torn.

--------------------
Support you local community newspaper! CNN.com probably won't be covering your child's spelling bee.

Posts: 609 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KennRice
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KennRice   Author's Homepage   E-mail KennRice   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if the calculations for those savings included the amont of oil it would take to make and distribute the florescent light bulbs for over 100 million households? And of course the oil needed to make the money to buy all those florescent light bulbs, and the gas needed to drive to the store to buy the florescent light bulbs.

I seriously doubt that a single light bulb, in a year, used as much energy as it takes to manufacture a florescent light bulb, and the transportation costs involved in sending it to the store, and driving to the store to buy it.

Not to mention the disposal costs of the non-florescent light bulb.

Ken

Posts: 140 | From: Arlington, VA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'mNotDedalus
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 605 posted      Profile for I'mNotDedalus   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'mNotDedalus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Compact Flourescent Bulbs-- From the Smart Office Web Site: http://smartoffice.com. Replacing an incandescent bulb with a compact fluorescent one offsets the burning of about 528 pounds of coal, the release of one ton of carbon dioxide, 20 pounds of sulfur dioxide, and the equivalent of a barrel of oil.
(I wouldn't normally rely on such a site for this kind of information, but they do back their claim with facts provided by the SDIC)

Comparison of Electricity Cost

The next step, obviously, would be to compare this 1 fluorescent to 1 barrel of oil ratio to the most recent U.S. Census information (specifically, housing information: located here; for giggles, the 2000 Census tallied 281,421,906).

I'm too damned literary to do the math, so the googleless can make do with the citations above.

Although, I think snopes hits the mark. This business of "putting a dent in the Saudis' purse" is ridiculous. In a globalized economy, there is no longer such a thing as win/lose economics. Incidentally, Saudi Arabia is the largest U.S. export market in the Middle East. If their economy suffers, the U.S. itches like an old man scratchin' at an amputated stub.

--------------------
The salty fragrance of LEau DImNotDedalus - made entirely of and entirely for sea turtles.

Posts: 1983 | From: Chicagoland, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Davros
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Davros   Author's Homepage   E-mail Davros   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
in Australia most of our electrical power is generated with coal with under 8% approx from oil or gas(natural gas not petrol)
some info
so changing a light here would not help at all

we use more hydro power than oil and gas for power generation

--------------------
Wake up --- time to die
So I'm Evil Get over it

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people

Posts: 1551 | From: NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
EthanMitchell
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EthanMitchell   E-mail EthanMitchell   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We have changed over entirely to CFs, except in one fixture that has a dimmer switch, which they can't handle. We did it, oh, two years ago, and we're quite happy. Here are my thoughts.

When we looked at the numbers, we were very impressed at the energy savings, especially because CFs tend to last much longer than incandescents, so incidental costs like the oil consumed in shipping them are amortized over a longer time.

However. They are fairly easy to break, and they contain a small quantity of mercury, so they are not a nice thing to break. They should really only be used in fixtures that have a dome or some other shielding, and I find that the domes also make the fluorescence less obnoxious.

Most hardware stores have a deal where they will periodically sell CFs for giveaway prices--less than incandescents, which use more power per lumen, and burn out sooner. To me, it's not a matter of starving the Saudis or the Canadians or whoever. Wasting money in order to waste energy is just plain stupid.

Posts: 330 | From: New Haven, VT | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There are now dimmer-capable CF bulbs, tri-light CF bulbs, even 150W-equivalent CF bulbs that are the size of a mason jar and only consume 40W of electricity.

The "cost" of energy for manufacture or shipping of a CF bulb is built into the price. The only cost that is missing is the cost of disposal, but that will still be trivial over the lifetime savings of the bulb.

At 10 cents per kwhr, a 100W equivalent CF bulb breaks even with a 100W incandescent bulb at only 430 hours of operation (based on how much they cost here in Canada). This is less than half the typical 1,000 hour life of an incandescent bulb. A CF bulb is usually rated 8,000 to 10,000 hours. So while they last 10 times as long, they pay for themselves in less than the life of one regular bulb.

The low prices of CF bulbs are here to stay. I've noticed in the last 3-4 months that prices have dropped in all stores, especially now that there are 60W CF bulbs the exact same size as a regular "Type A" incandescent bulb.

--------------------
"The fate of *billions* depends on you! Hahahahaha....sorry." Lord Raiden - Mortal Kombat

Posts: 1587 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I recently bought a three-pack of 100W equivalent CF bulbs (the kind that only use 40W of energy but are supposed to be as bright as 100W incandescents) and honestly, they're not as bright as the incandescents I've used in those same light fixtures all these years. I don't know if it's the particular brand or style that I bought (I don't have the package) but I am rather disappointed with the brightness level. I was going to put one in my reading lamp but I'm glad I didn't.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I love my CFs! We have replaced nearly all the bulbs in the house with them (those we haven't are the 3-way lamps; we haven't seen the 3-way CFs in the stores yet, but will be looking).

The brightness factor was, at first, an issue, but it was pretty minor and we adjusted fairly quickly.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
EthanMitchell
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EthanMitchell   E-mail EthanMitchell   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Were you using 100W incandescents or something even stronger? There is a little difference in the color of the light, but luminosity is pretty much objective. If you really aren't get the stated number of lumens, maybe you have defective bulbs.
Posts: 330 | From: New Haven, VT | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:
I love my CFs! We have replaced nearly all the bulbs in the house with them (those we haven't are the 3-way lamps; we haven't seen the 3-way CFs in the stores yet, but will be looking).

Try Lowes. I found one there. The ones they have only go up to 150W equivalent, so not as good as a regular 250W for reading.

Oh, and the US only gets about 3% of it's electricity from oil. 51% of it is from coal, 20% nuclear, and 17% natural gas.

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was watching a show a while back that was talking about the advantages of CF bulbs, but that there is a difference between individual bulbs, as far as brightness levels go. The point of which was that you had to be careful to match bulbs in a fixture to each other. This was several years ago, however, and I don't know if this is still an issue.

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
250? I don't think I've ever seen a lamp that takes a 250-watt bulb.

And for me, brighter is not necessarily better for reading. I've got some photosensitivity issues, and have a very difficult time with glare on paper (magazines are very difficult for me to read with any sort of artificial light).

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have them in all but the 3-ways and dimmers and the halls (the CFs have a delay in turning on). I bought one of the 3-ways, but hated it.

They keep the house much cooler.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Almost every fixture in our home is dimmable. Normal CF's can't handle that, and the ones that can are hideously expensive (like $50 a bulb).

If someone finds me a $10 dimmable PAR-30 style indoor CF flood that doesn't have that horrible hospital-white look, I'd start switching out immediately.

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lotta Palaver
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 605 posted      Profile for Lotta Palaver         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you have a Fred's in your area (mostly the South), you can get flourescent bulbs fairly cheap there. Cheaper than WallyWorld.

But I don't see how using less of the wattage produced by the nearby nookyooler [Wink] plant will have any effect on the Saudis!

--------------------
Your ultimate source of superfluous flummery.

Posts: 595 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dimmable "Type A" (regular looking) light bulbs cost only about $13 CDN for a 100W equivalent light. Indoor CD floodlights aren't there yet, but in only 6 months I've seen the 60W CF bulb shrink in size by a huge amount. I really think that in less than 18 months, they'll be universal.

The slightly different colour of CF bulbs is really a personal preference issue - I notice almost no difference when I use them inside a shade or globe.

Another issue of incandescent light bulbs is the actual voltage of electricity. Power varies as the square of voltage, so if you have 90% of the "rated" voltage, you only get 81% of the power output. For an incandescent bulb, this means you only get 81% of the output lumens. You also get about 20% longer life at the lower voltage.

"Heavy-duty" and "long-life" incandescent bulbs are often rated at 130V, while normal incandescent bulbs are rated for 120V. A bulb rated for 60W @ 130V only puts out 85% of the wattage at 120V. Many areas have 115V or less as the "nominal" voltage in household distribution.

And you can get regular "Type A" bulbs in up to 300W, with 250W being good for floodlights and reading lights.

--------------------
"The fate of *billions* depends on you! Hahahahaha....sorry." Lord Raiden - Mortal Kombat

Posts: 1587 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hero_Mike:
Another issue of incandescent light bulbs is the actual voltage of electricity. Power varies as the square of voltage, so if you have 90% of the "rated" voltage, you only get 81% of the power output. For an incandescent bulb, this means you only get 81% of the output lumens. You also get about 20% longer life at the lower voltage.

Hmmm...my circuits book says P=VI, not P=VI.

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Finite Fourier Alchemy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Finite Fourier Alchemy   E-mail Finite Fourier Alchemy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Delta-V:
quote:
Originally posted by Hero_Mike:

P = VI = I2R = V2/R

Increasing voltage over a given resistance increases the current proportionally. If you're changing voltage and keeping resistance constant, power changes with the square of the voltage.

--------------------
Thinking about New England / missing old Japan

Posts: 2603 | From: Virginia | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

quote:
Originally posted by Finite Fourier Alchemy:
quote:
Originally posted by Delta-V:

P = VI = I2R = V2/R

Increasing voltage over a given resistance increases the current proportionally. If you're changing voltage and keeping resistance constant, power changes with the square of the voltage. [/QB]

Oh, Duh! That's what I get for posting late at night...

--------------------

wolbeer
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wolbeer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
I recently bought a three-pack of 100W equivalent CF bulbs (the kind that only use 40W of energy but are supposed to be as bright as 100W incandescents) and honestly, they're not as bright as the incandescents I've used in those same light fixtures all these years. I don't know if it's the particular brand or style that I bought (I don't have the package) but I am rather disappointed with the brightness level. I was going to put one in my reading lamp but I'm glad I didn't.

Even after 10 minutes? Most CF-bulbs take 5-10 minutes to get to their max. output. In Belgium you only need a 20W-CF lamp to have the same output as a regular 100 w incandescent lamp. But we have 230 v, so that might be the reason for the difference.

In 2004 every household in the flemish region got a CF-lamp for free. over 1 mio CF-lamps have been distributed and each household saves over 180 kwh by using the free CF-lamp.

Posts: 18 | From: Lier, Belgium | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Same in the UK (240V). The bulbs do start off dimmer when you switch the light on but they don't take long to become as bright as a conventional bulb.
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jennakatze
Big Hunk o' Love

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jennakatze   E-mail jennakatze   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember years ago when I got my first CF bulbs, the packages had a warning label on them that they should not be used in enclosed receptacles. Is that no longer true? All of the lights in the apartment I live in now have fully enclosed receptacles (covered with glass domes), except in the solarium, so I switched back to regular incandescent lights. I would love to go back to my fully CF bulb ways, though.
Posts: 565 | From: PA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just have to say that I keep reading this thread topic as "Change a light bulb, save the Saudis"--directly opposite of the actual meaning.

[Big Grin]

Seaboo

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 602 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wolbeer:
Even after 10 minutes? Most CF-bulbs take 5-10 minutes to get to their max. output. In Belgium you only need a 20W-CF lamp to have the same output as a regular 100 w incandescent lamp. But we have 230 v, so that might be the reason for the difference.

A 100W equivalent CF lightbulb in North America is between 23W and 29W, depending on the style, size, colour, etc. I found CF bulbs at Home Depot which are higher wattage but are a more "natural" colour of light.

But in general, electrical equipment is more efficient at higher voltages.

--------------------

WildaBeast

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wolbeer:
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:

Even after 10 minutes? Most CF-bulbs take 5-10 minutes to get to their max. output.
That's the thing I noticed with the inexpensive CF bulbs I have. They're not very bright at all when I first turn them on, but after a few minutes they get brighter. The better quality CF bulbs I ordered from here don't seem to have that problem.

That site also has dimmable bulbs starting at $6.50 and three-ways starting at $9.25.

quote:
I remember years ago when I got my first CF bulbs, the packages had a warning label on them that they should not be used in enclosed receptacles. Is that no longer true? All of the lights in the apartment I live in now have fully enclosed receptacles (covered with glass domes), except in the solarium, so I switched back to regular incandescent lights. I would love to go back to my fully CF bulb ways, though.
I think the last time I bought one they still had that warning. However, I have used them in enclosed fixtures in spite of the warning and for me there never was a problem; they worked fine.

I wonder if it perhaps it shortens the life of the bulb. I had one that had been previously been used in an enclosed fixture burn out recently.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I really love using the fluorescent bulbs (mostly mini coils). We have a hallway fixture upstairs that has no switch (I don't know hwy, it just doesn't) so we use one in that. Even being on 24/7, bulbs have lasted more than a yaer in the fixture. In fact, of all the mini coils we have I think that one and the downstairs hall light (which is on the most of any light that does have a switch) are the only bulbs we have had to change. I don't know about a difference on the electric bill but I do notice the difference in my wallet.

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Unknown Soldier
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unknown Soldier   Author's Homepage   E-mail Unknown Soldier   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm just curious... When an incandescent light burns out it will usually flash and pop as a result of the filiment burning in two. What happens when a CFL "burns" out?

--------------------
Clickity Click!

Posts: 69 | From: Alabama | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
strange_little_girl
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for strange_little_girl   E-mail strange_little_girl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have an energy saving light bulb which I was given free by the toddler group around 7 years ago which is still going strong. It does take a few minutes to light up fully but the newer ones I've got in other fixtures seem to reach full output almost immediately.

--------------------
I tried to get in touch with my inner child, but she isn't allowed to talk
to strangers.

Posts: 674 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deranged LunaTech
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deranged LunaTech   E-mail Deranged LunaTech   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As long as the world's demand for oil exceeds the supply, our using less oil isn't going to "put a huge dent in the Saudis bank accounts." It just means the Saudis will sell more of their oil to countries other than the U.S.
OPEC will ensure that supply will never exceed demand.... That's part of their function - much like the Federal reserve regulates the interest rate to control inflation, OPEC controls production rates to regulate market price.

--------------------
"Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing." --William James

Posts: 8 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morseman
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
[QB] in Australia most of our electrical power is generated with coal with under 8% approx from oil or gas(natural gas not petrol)

The part about hurting the Suadi economy is, as has already been said, a none starter.

However, saving energy and reducing CO2 emmissions is correct.

For instance, each kWh of electricity used that has been generated in the UK (a mix of mainly Coal, gas and a little hydro plus a small % of renewables) is calculated to release 0.43kg of CO2. The figures are calculated by DEFRA every few years to take into account the different mix of fuels used to generate electricity in the UK.

The figure for a kWh of gas used, in the UK, is 0.15kg of CO2 released.

Since electricity and gas prices are going up, so the value of a saving made this year will increase next year is the tariff increases.

Hope this helps people calculate the cost and effects of using gas and electricity.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morseman
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Unknown Soldier:
I'm just curious... When an incandescent light burns out it will usually flash and pop as a result of the filiment burning in two. What happens when a CFL "burns" out?

All that happens is that, one day, you switch the light on and nothing happens, or it flickers and doesn't 'strike'. In simple terms, striking is the gas inside the tube charging up and 'ignighting'. It's more complicated than that, but unless you are a chemist, who cares? [lol]

The traditional long straight flourecent tubes sometimes flicker if the starter unit breaks down, and replacing that usually restarts the light, but in the ones we are talking about the starter is encapsulated in the base, so once something goes, you have to replace it. However, they should last for a lot longer than the filament bulbs.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Donovan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donovan   E-mail Donovan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I tell you what, not having to change the three lights in my hall (which I swear ate incandecents for lunch) has made the cost of CFLs worth it to me.

I gotta wonder how long before the new LED technology bumps the CFLs and traditionals right off the shelves.

Donovan Ravenhull

--------------------
Illius me paenitet, dux (Latin for fun and business)

"It's like trying to hawk pork chops at a kosher PETA banquet." - Esprise Me

Posts: 429 | From: Alabama | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Be happy you only have to feed 'em once a day [Smile]

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages