snopes.com
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Business » SIGNS that make no sense (Page 21)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22   
Author Topic: SIGNS that make no sense
Purple Cow
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Cow   E-mail Purple Cow   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brillo Bee:
And while I knew what this next sign meant, it was funnier to take it at its word. At a camp I stayed at, the chef and the assistant chef had their own cabins. Outside one of the cabins was a sign: "Ass Chef"

Brillo ~I guess that's the chef who tosses the salads~ Bee

At the camp I worked at, we always called the health officers the HOs. ...and the assistant health officer was the Ass. HO.

--------------------
No one ever wants the super boob.
-Dr. Heisler, American Dad

Baby Alex!

Posts: 233 | From: Roanoke, VA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
boogers
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for boogers   Author's Homepage   E-mail boogers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I knew a guy who was in charge of organizing a get together of several student religious groups at UNM. He put a sign up listing the groups but didn't know how to abbreviate association. As a result the "Bahai Student Ass" and the "Jewish Student Ass" were listed.

A couple weeks ago I saw one of those signs that lists the current time and temperature. It said the temperature was 257 degrees. I hear a lot about global warming but I didn't know it was that bad.

Posts: 1111 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JimYanni
Who, me?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JimYanni   E-mail JimYanni   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by boogers:
A couple weeks ago I saw one of those signs that lists the current time and temperature. It said the temperature was 257 degrees. I hear a lot about global warming but I didn't know it was that bad. [/QB]

Degrees Kelvin, perhaps?
Posts: 12 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JimYanni
Who, me?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JimYanni   E-mail JimYanni   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 

Posts: 12 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PrincessLeia
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 203 posted      Profile for PrincessLeia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by JimYanni:
quote:
Originally posted by boogers:
A couple weeks ago I saw one of those signs that lists the current time and temperature. It said the temperature was 257 degrees. I hear a lot about global warming but I didn't know it was that bad.

Degrees Kelvin, perhaps? [/QB]
If it was about -16C or 3F maybe.
Posts: 185 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
die daagliks phosdex
Monster Mashed Potatos & Grave-y

Icon 303 posted      Profile for die daagliks phosdex   Author's Homepage   E-mail die daagliks phosdex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Em:
quote:
Originally posted by Don Enrico:
quote:
Originally posted by dlloyd:
Might need to be British to appreciate this...

-

I'm European, but i don't get it...

ETA quote

Fanny = UK slang term for female genitalia.
Actually, "fanny" is American slang for "arse."

Which recalls where the British film Fanny by Gaslight had to be retitled for American release.

--------------------
"Nie lees die hoofopskrifte--lees die daagliks phosdex in plaas ..."

Posts: 1316 | From: Winona, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bouscal
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bouscal         Edit/Delete post 
Not exactly a sign but close;
on the plane today on the back of the package of peanuts, directly underneath the ingedients which list 'peanuts' as one of them is a warning that the product was processed in a plant which MAY also process peanuts... ummm, hello? anyone home?

--------------------
whoops!! I guess I might need that when they invent stereo...

Posts: 1 | From: Tracy, CA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
"Signs of Love"

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Archie2K
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archie2K   Author's Homepage   E-mail Archie2K   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Another to add to the list of misplaced quote marks.

Fresh food served "all" day, "every" day

I can't even begin to comprehend what that is actually saying.

Posts: 1985 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I'm sure it means, as opposed to, "from 4-7 on Wednesday and Friday only. Other times, you get the old crap from the previous week."

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by bouscal:
on the plane today on the back of the package of peanuts, directly underneath the ingedients which list 'peanuts' as one of them is a warning that the product was processed in a plant which MAY also process peanuts... ummm, hello? anyone home?

Did the warning specifically say "peanuts" or just "nuts"? If it's the latter, technically peanuts aren't nuts, so the warning would be for people who are allergic to real nuts but not peanuts.

Otherwise, I would guess that it's just cheaper to stamp that warning on everything that factory.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by WildaBeast:
quote:
Originally posted by bouscal:

Did the warning specifically say "peanuts" or just "nuts"? If it's the latter, technically peanuts aren't nuts, so the warning would be for people who are allergic to real nuts but not peanuts.

Otherwise, I would guess that it's just cheaper to stamp that warning on everything that factory.

Or it is the law that says "everything processed in a factory that also processes peanuts must have a warning label" without saying "unless it's obviously peanuts, stupid!".

Don "I wish laws would be written like that sometimes" Enrico

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Archie2K:
Another to add to the list of misplaced quote marks.

Fresh food served "all" day, "every" day

I can't even begin to comprehend what that is actually saying.

I like those quotation marks as a sign of stressing something. "Fresh" food in a "comfortable" athmosphere doesn't sound to me like it was probably intended [Smile]

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BluesScale
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BluesScale   E-mail BluesScale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
With regard to the peanuts post, I did once buy a bag which said "Salted peanuts" on the front and under the ingredients title on the back, it just said "See front"

Blues

Posts: 207 | From: Woolhampton, Berks, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Hey, first post so be gentle with me.

My own personal favourite sign is a road sign near where I live. It's to a town called Wetherby and says "For Wetherby follow existing signs". Made me wonder who would follow nonexistant signs and why you would put up a sign solely to refer to another sign!

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst hringi
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
notgillcup
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for notgillcup     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I always follow the nonexistant signs. Hmmm, maybe that's why I get lost so often.
Posts: 264 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Think that's probably where I have been going wrong too.

--------------------
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
notgillcup
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for notgillcup     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
This may not precisely belong in this thread, but...

I always get annoyed at the signs around schools that say something along the lines of "Drug-free zone". I presume what is meant by this is that there are tougher penalties for drug-related offenses in these areas near schools - designed, I suppose, to more harshly punish drug dealings around schools, and help prevent drug dealers preying on school-age children.

But, to me, the sign doesn't really say that. Instead, it implies that outside of the "drug-free" zone, drugs are a-ok. Which they aren't.

Posts: 264 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by notgillcup:
...snip...
But, to me, the sign doesn't really say that. Instead, it implies that outside of the "drug-free" zone, drugs are a-ok. Which they aren't.

Sort of similar;

When I see a "speed zone ahead" sign, I always think to myself, "Great. It's ok to speed now."

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Don't think we get those over here . . . just those damn non-existant signs to confuse people!

Saw a good one today though:

Toilets closed due to unsociable behaviour

--------------------
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

notgillcup
Deck the Malls

Yeah, I've always thought those [speed zone] signs were weird. Couldn't a different phrase be used to more accurately convey the intended meaning? Speed Limit Changes or Limit Change Ahead, or something like that. Or Lower Speed Ahead, or Slow Down Soon. Or simply Slow Down (as I think - but I could be wrong - the signs refer to a zone where the speed limit is lowered).

Hmmm - "unsociable behaviour". That's a good one. The mind reels thinking of what specific unsociable behavior would cause a restroom (I think "restroom" is the USian equivalent to "toilets" in this example) to be closed.

The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

It just conjured up an image of an unsociable toilet sulking in the corner to me!

--------------------
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

notgillcup
Deck the Malls

[lol]

Or, perhaps toilets spewing water at people, or slamming down their lids at awkward moments - that would be pretty unsociable.

WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Yeah, I've always thought those [speed zone] signs were weird. Couldn't a different phrase be used to more accurately convey the intended meaning? Speed Limit Changes or Limit Change Ahead, or something like that. Or Lower Speed Ahead, or Slow Down Soon. Or simply Slow Down (as I think - but I could be wrong - the signs refer to a zone where the speed limit is lowered).

It seems like different states might use different signs to convey that message. In North Carolina the signs usually read something like "Begin 35 500 feet ahead," which I was used to, but someone not familiar with them would probably find confusing. California (or at least this city) has signs that are much clearer in my opinion; they simply read "25 zone ahead."

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

quote:
[lol]

Or, perhaps toilets spewing water at people, or slamming down their lids at awkward moments - that would be pretty unsociable.

[lol]

My imagination's gone crazy! Getting an image of gangs of rogue toilets mugging old ladies, flushing unsuspecting bystanders and waving their lids in a menacing manner!

--------------------
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

notgillcup
Deck the Malls

quote:
Originally posted by WildaBeast:
quote:

It seems like different states might use different signs to convey that message. In North Carolina the signs usually read something like "Begin 35 500 feet ahead," which I was used to, but someone not familiar with them would probably find confusing. California (or at least this city) has signs that are much clearer in my opinion; they simply read "25 zone ahead."
Yeah, now that you mention it, I've seen some signs like that as well. "XX zone ahead" is so much clearer. Maybe the generic "Speed Zone Ahead" signs are used when there isn't enough money in the budget to spring for the fancier, more specific signs [lol] . I've lived and/or travelled in many states, and haven't really noticed a pattern, but I wasn't looking for one ... I was probably going too fast to take notice, anyway. [Wink]

It's always been sort of odd to me anyway. It seems a sign saying "Speed Limit" at the spot where the 35 MPH limits starts would be good enough. I guess it's just an extra warning.

Around here, as with most cities, I'm sure, it seems like it's more of a suggestion anyway more than an actual law. [Wink]

Robbiev -I don't understand the problem officer, I *was* going at least 70, just like the sign says- 427

--------------------

Victoria J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 301 posted      Profile for Victoria J   E-mail Victoria J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The little shop in Walthamstow bus station has just got a machine for Slush Puppy iced drinks (actually not that brand, but similar ice and syrup mixed by churning machine). The sign they have put up is rather more disturbing :

quote:
Slash Puppy Drink Here
Victoria J - Glad to be vegetarian.

--------------------
Post accompanied by maniacal laughter.

Posts: 577 | From: London, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Victoria J:
The little shop in Walthamstow bus station has just got a machine for Slush Puppy iced drinks (actually not that brand, but similar ice and syrup mixed by churning machine). The sign they have put up is rather more disturbing :

quote:
Slash Puppy Drink Here
Victoria J - Glad to be vegetarian.
Don't slashed puppies belong in Glurge? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Victoria J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 221 posted      Profile for Victoria J   E-mail Victoria J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Well slashing puppies to make soft drinks has to be worse than bonsai kittens...

Victoria J.

--------------------
Post accompanied by maniacal laughter.

Posts: 577 | From: London, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I saw a sign last night on a fire exit stating "Warning - door alarmed" and the first thing that popped into my head was that it must have been frightened by some anti social toilets. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

That's going to stay in my head for days now! [lol]

--------------------
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
On the "speed zone" subject:

Iowa uses "Speed Zone Ahead" most of the time. Minnesota seems to prefer "Reduced Speed Ahead". My wife, a MN native, always thought the IA signs were weird, but I grew up with them so it was normal to me...

My assumption is that these date back from the days of unposted speed limits in rural areas. It's my understanding that at one point, the speed limit on rural Iowa roads was "as fast as conditions allow". So "speed zone ahead" makes more sense in that context: it's saying that coming up ahead is a speed-restricted zone.

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
notgillcup
Deck the Malls

Icon 98 posted      Profile for notgillcup     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stoneage Dinosaur:
I saw a sign last night on a fire exit stating "Warning - door alarmed" and the first thing that popped into my head was that it must have been frightened by some anti social toilets. [Big Grin]

Okay, that's the second time in two days that you have made me literally laugh out loud at my computer screen - before I even received the keyboard you owe me from yesterday. This silliness has got to stop. Stop, I say!

Rehcsif - I think you are probably correct about the signs.

To sort of go off topic, even Reduced Speed Ahead (I think I've seen those too) is also somewhat unclear. The speed limit is what is reduced. Reduced Speed Ahead sort of sounds like the vehicle's speed will somehow be automatically reduced, and the sign is saying to the driver "just so you know...". Hopefully, it is difficult enough to get a driving license to prevent anyone who really believed that was possible from being able to drive.

I know. I'm splitting hairs. [fish] But it is fun to think of alternate meanings of signs.

not"always sociable in the toilet"gillcup

BlushingBride
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlushingBride     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The signs along my commute used to say Reduced Speed Ahead. But this morning, I noticed that they were replaced by big yellow warning triangles with a picture of a speed limit sign inside. It's much clearer for the hairsplitters, but darned if my first thought wasn't that the sign meant "Warning! Dangerous signs ahead!"

--------------------
"In perfume, as in underwear, the scantiest of applications provides the greatest of returns." -Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 858 | From: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages