snopes.com
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Business » SIGNS that make no sense (Page 20)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22   
Author Topic: SIGNS that make no sense
Izzy Quigley
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 210 posted      Profile for Izzy Quigley   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
At a fast food restaurant somewhere in the midwest, I saw a sign which wouldn't have been strange except that the line breaks were in odd places and there was no punctuation:

CHILDREN MUST BE ACCOMPANIED
BY ADULT BURGER
KING NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ACCIDENTS

--------------------
A Viennese fellow is walking along the Karntner Strasse and notices a banana peel lying in his path. "Alas," he sighs, "now I must slip and fall down!"

Posts: 506 | From: Missouri | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JimYanni
Who, me?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JimYanni   E-mail JimYanni   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jw:
a street in gorey, wexford, ireland
 -

which way can you go?
can anyone make sense of this?

Possibly. I wouldn't want to be money on it (not even a quarter) but if I had to guess, I'd guess that the sign on the right has been turned 180 degrees and should be facing the oncoming traffic; it would be telling them (accurately enough) that they can't go straight ahead, and they can't turn left. That would leave the sign on the left for the traffic moving in the direction we are facing, saying that we can't go forward, and can't turn right (also accurate.)
Posts: 12 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
I'd guess that the sign on the right has been turned 180 degrees and should be facing the oncoming traffic; it would be telling them (accurately enough) that they can't go straight ahead, and they can't turn left. That would leave the sign on the left for the traffic moving in the direction we are facing, saying that we can't go forward, and can't turn right (also accurate.)
If this was right they can't go straight ahead because you can see the no entry paint on the road but they can turn right(allowing for 180 degree turn), as its a two way main street. I don't have the answer either. This was posted on our national radio station's website in the hope that someone could provide an answer. I'll be in wexford the weekend after next and will check out this street.
can anyone else spot something?

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shrek_Daddy
Deck the Malls

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Shrek_Daddy   Author's Homepage   E-mail Shrek_Daddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug4.7:
On the back of a truck (carrying grain?) I passed on the freeway today:

Not
Human

I heard this in my mind with a nice robotic voice [Smile]

--------------------
"We keep finding better ways to celebrate mediocrity"---Mr. Incredible

Assume at least one edit for typos..my keyboard and I fight alot :)

Posts: 275 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dlloyd
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dlloyd     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Might need to be British to appreciate this...

-

Posts: 99 | From: Dundee | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
not british but [Big Grin] top drawer!

--------------------

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bored and Dangerous
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bored and Dangerous   Author's Homepage   E-mail Bored and Dangerous   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I got it, and I'm not British. Or European, for that matter. Funny, though. [Big Grin]

--------------------
My blog

Watch?? I'm gonna pray, man! Know any good religions?--Zaphod Beeblebrox

Posts: 2366 | From: Harrisonburg, Virginia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Michael Churchill
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Churchill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by JimYanni:
quote:
Originally posted by jw:
a street in gorey, wexford, ireland
 -

which way can you go?
can anyone make sense of this?

Possibly. I wouldn't want to be money on it (not even a quarter) but if I had to guess, I'd guess that the sign on the right has been turned 180 degrees and should be facing the oncoming traffic; it would be telling them (accurately enough) that they can't go straight ahead, and they can't turn left. That would leave the sign on the left for the traffic moving in the direction we are facing, saying that we can't go forward, and can't turn right (also accurate.)
I'd agree. The signs on the other side of the junction (which are all you'd see if you stopped at the line) agree with the signs on the left hand pole. Similarly if approaching from the opposite direction, there ought to be some signs on this side for when you're stopped at the line and the signs that we can see on the right hand pole would be correct (if they were facing the other way).

Got that?

--------------------
We're sorry to bother you at such a time like this, Mrs. Twice. We would have come earlier, but your husband wasn't dead then.

Posts: 9 | From: Southampton, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by dlloyd:

-

I'm European, but i don't get it...

ETA quote

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Don Enrico:
quote:
Originally posted by dlloyd:

-

I'm European, but i don't get it...

ETA quote

Fanny = UK slang term for female genitalia.

ETA: Muffin = US(?) slang term for female genitalia.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Aaaah!

Thanks, Em!

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JimYanni
Who, me?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JimYanni   E-mail JimYanni   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
If this was right they can't go straight ahead because you can see the no entry paint on the road but they can turn right(allowing for 180 degree turn), as its a two way main street. I don't have the answer either. This was posted on our national radio station's website in the hope that someone could provide an answer. I'll be in wexford the weekend after next and will check out this street!

Oops! Missed the two-way traffic; when I looked at it (obviously not carefully enough) it looked one-way.

Posts: 12 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
My take on the street signs:
 -

As a couple of people have said, I think the signs have been rotated, but not by 180°. Rather, the "No Turn" signs should be visible from the two-way street but have been turned 90° to be visible from the one-way street.

In my second picture I've drawn the "No Turn" signs as if they were mounted on separate poles to make it clearer which direction I think they're supposed to be viewed from. The only ones you should be able to see from the photo POV are the "No Straight Ahead" signs.

--------------------

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

great diagram em, and it makes sense if this is case. But you're saying only one sign has been turned on each of the the two nearest signs?
seems a bit mischievous. no?
as i said earlier i'll be in wexford the weekend after easter and for sure i'm going to check out and ask about these signs

--------------------

Em
Happy Holly Days

If street signs are constructed there the same way they are here, it's possible to turn the individual signs on a pole, but not to turn the entire pole itself because it's concreted into the ground. It would actually be easier to turn only one sign on each pole because you wouldn't have to climb up to reach the top ones. The fact that turning only one sign adds to the confusion is just an added bonus.

--------------------

Richard Nixon
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard Nixon   E-mail Richard Nixon       Edit/Delete post 
Once I was passing by a restaurant in my hometown called 'Colonial Ica Cream' and only the letter 'colon' were lit up.
Posts: 92 | From: Crystal Lake, Illinois | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GrubbMeister

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GrubbMeister     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Travelling north on I-77 entering VA, for several years up until about a year or two ago, Virginia had an enormous white sign to welcome travellers into their lovely state, and to bid them to enjoy their time there. Ironically, it had huge yellow lettering across the top, and the friendly message read "EXILE" and perhaps displayed a few handgun graphics to the sides. While the traveller might become confused (or annoyed) with such a greeting as this, thinking the word EXILE means they will be forced to leave and not return, below in black lettering, the sign explained that having an illegal weapon in your possession could make your stay in Virginia, shall we say, most welcome. With such an item you could spend up to 5 or 10 years in some of their finest accomodations [i.e. complete with bed, meals three times a day, time in the courtyard, and visitation priviledges, but you must provide your own soap-on-a-rope].

Where I come from, EXILE isn't just another pretty word, it has a specific meaning such as "leave and don't come back". Ironically, where I come from is Virginia, and I paid enough attention to graduate with honors from their educational system.

In the face of so many ironies, someone finally took down the sign, and a new one appears within the same stretch, SPEED LIMIT ENFORCED BY AIRCRAFT, a program which proved entirely too costly in even its initial stages to be justified by the few petty speeding tickets they issued after identifying speeders and coordinating on-the-ground apprehension of minor traffic violators. Nevertheless, someone decided it would make a friendly first impression for travellers entering their lovely state.

Travel another 30 minutes northward, and with farmland on either side, a new sign informs travellers they are "Entering Virginia's Technological Corridor". I have left the state, but found these signs immensely amusing, and believe I am qualified to issue opinions in good fun.

Perhaps a new sign needs to be put up to inform travellers upon entering the Commonwealth, "WARNING: Geological Depressions May Appear To Us As Anatomical Features." This would be loosely translated, "We can't tell our butts from holes in the ground."

Posts: 3 | From: Lenoir, NC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
L
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for L         Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Em:
If street signs are constructed there the same way they are here, it's possible to turn the individual signs on a pole, but not to turn the entire pole itself because it's concreted into the ground. It would actually be easier to turn only one sign on each pole because you wouldn't have to climb up to reach the top ones. The fact that turning only one sign adds to the confusion is just an added bonus.

Although in this case it's clearly a case of the wrong sign being used. To rotate the sign round so a right hand turn is indicated, the red line through the middle would also be rotated. Therefore that must be a no right turn sign.

Of course someone could have taken it from another junction and swapped them that way.

Posts: 121 | From: Berkshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
NFBSK warning :)NFBSK warning :)NFBSK warning :)NFBSK warning :)NFBSK warning :)NFBSK warning [Smile]

I giggled inside when I walked by a nail shop today and some lettering said in red "WE DO FACIALS"

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by L:
quote:
Originally posted by Em:

Although in this case it's clearly a case of the wrong sign being used. To rotate the sign round so a right hand turn is indicated, the red line through the middle would also be rotated. Therefore that must be a no right turn sign.

Of course someone could have taken it from another junction and swapped them that way.

I think you misunderstand, L. The theory being put forth here is not that the signs were rotated about the X axis, making a no left turn sign into a no right turn sign (Or would that be the Z axis?). Rather, the signs were rotated about the Y axis, making a sign that was supposed to be visable to traffic coming from the other way visable from the point of view of the picture.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
L

Icon 204 posted      Profile for L         Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by WildaBeast:
quote:
Originally posted by L:
quote:
Originally posted by Em:

I think you misunderstand, L. The theory being put forth here is not that the signs were rotated about the X axis, making a no left turn sign into a no right turn sign (Or would that be the Z axis?). Rather, the signs were rotated about the Y axis, making a sign that was supposed to be visable to traffic coming from the other way visable from the point of view of the picture.
Cheers, Indeed I had.
Posts: 121 | From: Berkshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Niner
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Niner     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The other possibility with the no turn/no straight signs is that they're intended for their lane only.

IE from the left lane, you can't go straight, and you can't turn right. From the right lane, you can't go straight and you can't go left.

Sort of the negative version of "Left Turn Only Right Turn Only" signs you occasionally see in the US.

Henry

Posts: 441 | From: Between Flint and Lansing, MI | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 98 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
A road sign near my in-laws gives you a choice of having water or not:

-

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Angel With Wax Wings
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel With Wax Wings   E-mail Angel With Wax Wings   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
 -

I just thought this sign was funny...instant death AND a fine? Could things be any worse?

~Monica

--------------------
"Run for five minutes? Why don't you just shoot me now?"--Comic Book Guy (Simpsons)

Posts: 219 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Angel With Wax Wings
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel With Wax Wings   E-mail Angel With Wax Wings   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
 -

I just thought this sign was funny...instant death AND a fine? Could things be any worse?

~Monica

--------------------
"Run for five minutes? Why don't you just shoot me now?"--Comic Book Guy (Simpsons)

Posts: 219 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
YudanTaiteki
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YudanTaiteki     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
A KFC near my house has been sporting this sign for a few weeks:

FREEFAMILY
MASH

I'm not sure I even want to know what a "family mash" is.

Posts: 333 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JimYanni
Who, me?

quote:
Originally posted by YudanTaiteki:
A KFC near my house has been sporting this sign for a few weeks:

FREEFAMILY
MASH

I'm not sure I even want to know what a "family mash" is.

I speak whatever language that is: A "Family Mash" is a family sized order of mashed potatoes.
fictional lie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fictional lie   Author's Homepage   E-mail fictional lie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The name of a business in southern NH, USA -

Just Crafts
&
More

Curiously, how can they just have crafts AND more at the same time?

I've also seen a store called, similarly:

Only Auto Parts
&
More

--------------------
I am nothing but I'm more than you will ever be

Posts: 61 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dragonfrost
A Rolling Stone Gathers No Kate Moss

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dragonfrost   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
There is a sewing shop in my neighborhood which is called "Make It Sew".

For some reason, the first thing that always comes to my mind is Captain Picard stitching embroidery.... [Big Grin]

Melanie [fish]

--------------------
M is for Maud who was swept out to sea,
N is for Neville who died of ennui.
--Edward Gorey--

Posts: 29 | From: Detroit, MI | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PrincessLeia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PrincessLeia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
This picture isn't mine and I can't get it to appear so this will have to do: I stayed here last year.
Posts: 185 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PrincessLeia:
This picture isn't mine and I can't get it to appear so this will have to do: I stayed here last year.

I must stay there the next time I go to Tallinn.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brillo Bee
Wii Three Kings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brillo Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
OK, I don't need to do my ab workout today after reading this entire thread. [lol]

I used to go to this K-Mart that had several glass doors, half for entering and half for exiting, as many stores do. All the doors had signs that said, "Welcome to KMart," but half the doors also had signs that said, "Do Not Enter." Just didn't think it was very welcoming.

And while I knew what this next sign meant, it was funnier to take it at its word. At a camp I stayed at, the chef and the assistant chef had their own cabins. Outside one of the cabins was a sign: "Ass Chef"

Brillo ~I guess that's the chef who tosses the salads~ Bee

--------------------
People do not wish to appear foolish; to avoid the appearance of foolishness, they are willing to remain actually fools. -Alice Walker

Posts: 335 | From: Minnesota | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

quote:
Originally posted by PrincessLeia:

Running hot and cold women. [lol]

--------------------

NaNa

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NaNa     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I worked at a movie theater when the movie "Remember the Titans" came out. The whole name didn't fit on the board so it was shortened to "Remember the Tit".

--------------------
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" -Gandhi

Posts: 48 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
picunurse

Icon 1 posted      Profile for picunurse         Edit/Delete post 
There's a barbeque place not far from here that advertises "Mad Cows, Pissed off Pigs, and Upset Chickens" their ad in the phone book says they have the best food this side of prison.

A little mom and pop store in Seattle has handlettered on a railroad tie "NO Parkin Toein Way Zone"

In San Diego there's a DOT sign on I-5 that says "Cruise Ships Use Airport Exit" I lived ther for nine years and never saw a cruise ship driving on I-5.

Also in San Diego inside the parking structure at UCSD Medical Center was a sign saying "Street Level Enforced 24 hours"

Posts: 6 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages