snopes.com
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Business » SIGNS that make no sense (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  20  21  22   
Author Topic: SIGNS that make no sense
Hairballfairy
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Etienne:
Around here, they have signs that basically say "Caution, Children playing - It could be yours!"

Some of them actually have a drawing of a roadkilled kill on them. Yep, glurge roadsigns.

The common answer to them are to check around the car, say "Hey, I don't have kids!" and gun the engine.

Recently I've been seeing more and more signs in small towns around my area that I think are put up by the local Apex clubs. I think the message is supposed to be along the lines of "Slow Down. Kids don't bounce" Fair enough.

Except the sign is arranged like this:

Slow down
Kids
Don't Bounce

Which always makes me expect to see kids bouncing down the footpath.....

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pak Protector:
For future reference, might I contact the admins. in order to go about massaging my username?

To change your display name, just click up at the top right hand corner of the page where it says "My Profile" in little red letters. It will bring you to a page of options. Choose Edit Profile, and there will be a box for you to enter a Publicly Displayed Name. That's what will appear with your posts. The little quotes under your avatar indicate your member status and you can't change them.

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pak Protector

Thank you! [Smile]
WonderWoman
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WonderWoman   E-mail WonderWoman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Oh, I just thought of another one that doesn't make any sense. There's an auto supply store here that has the following painted on the outside of their building: "If its in stock, we've got it!" Um, yeah, that's what having something in stock means. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 107 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lavender blue
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lavender blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
quote:
Originally posted by DarkDan:
I always get amused when I see a sign saying "Speed Hump."

There's a similar sign on my parents' street that just says "HUMP".

I have always wanted to steal it and hang it in my bedroom. [Wink]

In high school I had an acquaintance that used to be a big flirt, and had reputation for being 'easy' sexually. On the street outside her house there was a sign that said "Dip", warning of a ditch in the road. There were a number of us back then that thought it quite appropriate. [Wink]

lavender 'sophomoric humor' blue

--------------------
catagenesis [evol]-evolution leading to decadence and decreased vigor.

Posts: 480 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ben Who
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben Who   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ben Who   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Four Kitties:
quote:
Originally posted by SparkStalker:
There's an area near Wytheville, VA where you can be travelling north on I-77 and south on I-81 at the same time...the signs right next to each other are quite amusing...

We have that here, too, only it's I-93 South and I-95 North.

Four Five Kitties

I'll go one better. There's a point in Brunswick, ME where US Route 1 North and South are traveling in the same direction. Two lane blacktop, left lane is North, right lane is South.

They split into a divided highway further up, and the fact that both travel lanes are pointed in the same direction is a consequence of the acrobatics and curlicues the roadway takes as it does so while connecting with I-95. Goes for about a quarter mile like that, too. The signs are hilarious. Plus, just to make the ride even more fun, the road is actually traveling in a sort of west-southwest direction.

Ben Who?

"Where's that road go?" "Don't go nowhere, just lays there all day long."

Posts: 404 | From: Portland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mgbdriver
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgbdriver     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Reminds me of two signs I used to see regularly.

On a supermarket: "Open 24 hours, 7 days a week, except Saturday and Sunday."

My personal favorite: A large marquee sign, at the top, "Allen Park Rectal Clinic". Right below that it read, "Eye Exams."
Obviously, it was for people with their head up their ass.
[Cool]

--------------------
"Chuck E. Cheese called. They want their band back."

my blog
Help me clean my basement!

Posts: 2717 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Minstrel gone caroling
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The menu boards at the snack stands at Cedar Point (amusement park) used to have this:
"Cheese on a stick....... $2.00
With cheese.... $2.25."
Cheese on a stick was basically a huge deep-fried mozzarella glob on a stick like a corn dog.... but apparently without the extra quarter all you got was the stick and breading!

I may have been mistaken, as I drove by it pretty quickly, but I would have sworn that in Elkins, WV a few years ago, I saw a sign which said, "Urology Clinic: Dr. C. M. Wee."

detroit "see 'em wee! get it? get it?" minstrel

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.
My blog. The Adventures of the Fish O'Thwacking.
Countdown: 177 days (or less!)

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rinoz

a motel in our neighboring city says it has nise room.

Rino"Sounds nise"Z

Cat in the Wizard Hat

I used to live near a small clothing store called "One Price." Obviously, everything in the store was the same price.

At some point, I guess they changed ownership, because someone added to the sign out front so it said, "One Price...and More!" I was curious, so I went in the shop, to find it more normal--different prices on everything.

I guess the new owner was too cheap to take down the original sign, but what the hell? One Price and More? There's a great name for a store. [Razz]

Blue "One brain cell...no more" Wizard

Logoboros
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Logoboros   E-mail Logoboros   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
While driving in Georgia, I took a picture of a marquee outside a roadside fried chicken restaurant that said only: "Hot Wangs."

--Logoboros

Posts: 1025 | From: Memphis, TN & Columbia, MO | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Black River Falls

I found this one at Coney Island:

-

BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
What's wrong with all beef hamburgers? Some companies add fillers.

Though on a related note, I was surprised when someone at Taco Bell asked me if I wanted Beef, chicken or steak tacos.

Beach...because I don't wanted my steak tacos to be beef...Life!

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pak Protector

My question is, what is that thing holding up the burger and beer supposed to be? With that goofy hair?
Doc Mew-cury

Hot corn french fries? Wha?

I used to drive past a roadside fruit stand whose sign boasted "Home Groin Maters."

And going back to an earlier post in the thread, I can't help but find "Slow Children At Play" darkly amusing.

Midge

Icon 210 posted            Edit/Delete post 
There's a senior citizen apartment/assisted living/nursing home complex here in town that used to have a sign next to its driveway that said, "Caution: Pedestrians Walking."

Whenever we drove past it, my hubby and I used to try to come up with other things pedestrians might possibly be doing.

Midge "Caution: Pedestrians Snowboarding While Playing Chess" G.

DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
"Do not cross tracks while lights are flashing." On the surface, this might seem reasonable until you really think about it - anyone who would cross the gates that block the road as soon as the light start flashing at this intersection and cross, probably wouldn't be too deterred by the sign.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ALadUnsane

Howabout at the gas station, when pumping the gas, the sign reads "Pump is Pumping."
HelloLlama
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HelloLlama     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Once at Target ther was a sale sign for some crocheted purses. Only problem was that the sign read "Crotched Purses". Anybody want to tell me why these purses had crotches?
Posts: 498 | From: Ypsilanti, Michigan | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
In a building where I used to work there was a sign announcing "Back Prevention Month". I think it was supposed to be "Back Pain Prevention", but it sounded like they wanted spineless employees. Oddly enough, the engineers threatened to strike later that year...

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
L. Name

Not really a sign, but I love the braille pads on (ETA Drive-up) ATM machines. Yeah I know, blind people need cash too...

ETA: I was referring to Drive Thru ATM's as was Kitties below.

Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
What gets me is the braille pads on drive-thru ATMs.

Four Five Kitties

Edited to delete snark.

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Paul Unwin

There's a sign on the downtown Seattle waterfront that reads:
DO NOT FEED THE PIGEONS SEAGULLS OK

Uh... okay.

STF
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ALadUnsane:
Howabout at the gas station, when pumping the gas, the sign reads "Pump is Pumping."

Marty McFly: ...Flux-capacitor... fluxing...

Not a sign, but I immediately thought of that from Back to the Future.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tabbymago
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Tabbymago   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tabbymago   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Unwin:
There's a sign on the downtown Seattle waterfront that reads:
DO NOT FEED THE PIGEONS SEAGULLS OK

Uh... okay.

You'd have to mince 'em up pretty fine, I imagine.

-Tabby
the princess with claws

--------------------
If you don't appreciate the irony, the irony appreciates.

"Sappiness and medieval violence: it's a wonderful combination. Like chocolate and peanut butter for the mind." -me on my fantasy novel-in-progress

Posts: 2281 | From: Arizona | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
 -

-

-

-

-

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Snow-Dog
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snow-Dog   E-mail Snow-Dog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
There used to be on in Wakefield RI just off of route one. All it was was a question mark with an arrow pointing into town.

Snow-what's in town? who knows-Dog

Posts: 474 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cat in the Wizard Hat

quote:
Originally posted by HelloLlama:
Once at Target ther was a sale sign for some crocheted purses. Only problem was that the sign read "Crotched Purses". Anybody want to tell me why these purses had crotches?

Thanks the NFBSK a lot. I almost choked. On an eggplant sandwich. What a way to go. Choking to death on an eggplant sandwich, laughing your ass off at purses with crotches. I should totally sue you.
Fuchsia
Xboxing Day

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Fuchsia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
In some town in North Carolina's Outer Banks, a mom & pop type restaurant proclaimed they had "CRAB MUFFINS." That became my husband's term for me when I was cranky.

This, however, has to be my all-time favorite weird sign. Courtesy of Ebaum's World
 -

--------------------
Nothing makes sense, so let's have no more nothing and stop making sense.

Posts: 1353 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morrison's Longhaired Himalayan Cat

Wizard Cat:

The estate of Momma Cash might sue you back for infringing on their urban legend. [Big Grin]

--- G.

Black River Falls

Ah, super Fuchia, I was just thinking of that sign!
Bestrest

My favorite road sign..
A classical direction sign.. only the town names were (in Estonia):
<- Tapa 7 km
22 km Loobu ->
Tapa means (to) kill
Loobu means give up

Nolly
Fin City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nolly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Around the corner from my house, there are two signs in front of a rest home situated by a park. The first sign on the post reads:
"ELDERLY CROSSING"
Underneath it:
 -

I giggle everytime I pass it.

Nol "Hey grandma! How's about a game of b-ball?" ly

--------------------
DON'T waste money on expensive paper shredders to avoid having your identity stolen. Simply place a few dog turds in the bin bags along with your old bank statements..

Posts: 102 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SparkStalker
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SparkStalker   E-mail SparkStalker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Fuchsia:
This, however, has to be my all-time favorite weird sign. Courtesy of Ebaum's World
 -

I could swear that sign's at the Asheville, NC zoo...mind you, it's been 10+ years since I was there...
Posts: 277 | From: Virginia | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tangueray and Whine
Deck the Malls

Icon 214 posted      Profile for Tangueray and Whine   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tangueray and Whine   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
When I lived in Mansfield, Ohio, there was a little hot dog place that sold lottery tickets. The sign out front was supposed to read, PLAY ALL LOTTERY GAMES HERE, but some of the letters had fallen off so that it read, LAY ALL OTTER GAMS HERE. [lol]

--------------------
If ignorance is bliss, then why aren't more people happy?

Posts: 332 | From: Arizona | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  20  21  22   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages