snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Automobiles » To Elvis, Love Priscilla

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: To Elvis, Love Priscilla
Lee Bruns
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lee Bruns   E-mail Lee Bruns   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a heads up, as I've set a hoax into motion that may end up being reported as fact here. A few years ago I purchased a '70 Harley FLH that I found in a pigbarn in Louisiana. I hauled the bike up here to South Dakota and proceded to fix it up. I built a rather nice custom bike out of it. In the proces of repairing it, I took the liberty of making up a brass plate that said "To Elvis Love Priscilla" and riveted it on the top of the rear fender, under the seat. Well, once the bike was done, and I rode it for a year I decided to sell it off and build yet another bike. The new owner was sadly ignorant of HD history, but just HAD to have a 'hawrley'. So, he headed back to Rochester MN, bike in tow. (I guess RIDING it was out of the question). So, at some point I expect that there will be a rash of stories out of Minnesota of a 'found' Elvis bike. I do have all of the documentation to prove that it was never owned by the King, but with that brass plate under the seat, its just a matter of time.
Elvis plate

Posts: 2 | From: Watertown, SD | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
emperor_genghis_khan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emperor_genghis_khan   E-mail emperor_genghis_khan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So you are debunking a nonexisting urban legend?

--------------------
Excuses satisfy only those who offer them. Your enemies won't believe them and your friends don't need them.

Posts: 211 | From: Ponce, Puerto Rico | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by emperor_genghis_khan:
So you are debunking a nonexisting urban legend?

Takes all the hard work out of it.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lee Bruns
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lee Bruns   E-mail Lee Bruns   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, let me spell it out. There is a myth out there. The myth has been around for a long time, and has been told to me on over two dozen occasions. Now there is also a bike with the same plate as in the myth.
My post was to let you in on the joke. People to continue to spread the myth don't read Snopes, no matter how many times they've been told to. If you don't find the joke funny, thats not a problem either.

Posts: 2 | From: Watertown, SD | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't heard that particular myth about Priscilla giving Elvis a Harley. Is there something more to the story, because it doesn't seem particularly compelling.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morrigan
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morrigan   E-mail Morrigan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Neither have I. I just googled it (not the most reliable source, either) and didn't come up with anything.

Morrigan

--------------------
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost, Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening

Posts: 1701 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When you're looking for ULs, I recommend this site.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh cr*p! Are you telling me I just paid $250,000 plus shipping for Elvis' hog, and it's just a fake? On the plus side, it rides nicely Lee, so good work. Could've used new spark plugs though. [Smile]

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ariadne
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ariadne   E-mail Ariadne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend in college told me this legend about a friend of his (or maybe a friend of a friend of his...). He swore it was true.

Lee, welcome, and just so you know, I think you are deliciously evil.

--------------------
saxea ut effigies bacchantis prospicit eheu | prospicit et magnis curarum fluctuat undis
-Catullus

Posts: 435 | From: Iowa | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morrigan
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morrigan   E-mail Morrigan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Em-google didn't even bring up that page!

Morrigan

--------------------
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost, Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening

Posts: 1701 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I vaguely remembered reading it a couple of years ago, so I knew where to look. Is that considered cheating?

ETA: What were your search terms? I just tried Googling "to elvis love priscilla", and it was the first listed.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't believe Lee's story at all. Sounds like it's made from whole cloth and some of the cover from the ironing board. But I do look forward to seeing the pictures, since nothing comes up on the link for me.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morrigan
Happy Holly Days

I googled "Priscilla gave Elvis Harley." Which is probably what did it.

Morrigan

--------------------

Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No offense intended by my skepticism but it doesn't look like the kind of thing that would fool many people. Then again, you find them under bypasses adoring madonna-shaped pacthes of concrete drool -- so who knows?
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages