snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Automobiles » Leos called best drivers, Libras worst

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Leos called best drivers, Libras worst
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 212 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As if drivers didn't have enough to worry about when shopping for insurance, a new tongue-in-cheek study suggests predicting good or bad driving habits could be as simple as reading one's horoscope.

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/1213driving-astrology13-ON.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zman977
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zman977   Author's Homepage   E-mail zman977   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Does that mean even if I'm blind because I'm a leo I should be a good driver? Pass me the keys, let's find out.

--------------------
Check out the podcast at www.candidradio.com

Ever notice how we always fall in love? We never climb gently in to love, or step lightly in to love. If love is such a good thing than why is it described as a fall.

Posts: 918 | From: La Salle Illinois USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And as usual, the woo woo crowd will use this as 'proof' that this crap works.

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, the explaination is simpler than horoscopes.

Leos turn 16 (or whatever the driving age is) during the summer. During the summer, the sun is out much of the day, it doesn't rain or snow much, and kids aren't in school. So these drivers begin driving during ideal conditions, allowing them to learn the basic skills before being confronted with the harsher tones of driving. And since they can drive during non-rush hours, they don't learn the bad habits (tail-gate so other drivers don't pull in front of you) right from the start.

Libras turn 16 after school has started. So they don't get as much time to practice driving. If they do get a chance, it is going to school or before or after during rush hour. So their initial driving is in the dog-eat-dog world of rush hour and they get started on the bad habits from the get-go. Also, rain and other incliment weather are worse in the fall than summer.

Aquarius and Aries face the other end of the bad weather. They are both also driving during school, facing the rush hour crush. And they either face snow and sleet or rain during that initial driving period. They aren't quite as bad as Libra because they get good driving after a few months where Libras face over 6 months of bad driving weather.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If that were the case, GenYus, wouldn't Cancers be the best drivers since they get a month more of ideal weather conditions than Leos do?

I think, just like most other things, it's a matter of Leos being better drivers than members of other astrological signs. [Wink]

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Towknie
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Towknie   E-mail Towknie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, if I remember right, I started driving in driver's ed at 15 1/2 -- right in the middle winter.

Tow "drivin' leo" knie

--------------------
Towknie: Ryda-certified as wonderful, enlighted, and rational.

Posts: 1011 | From: Frisco, TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
tagurit, Towknie hinted at the answer. Cancers (June 22nd to July 21st) start their driver's training in January/December, bad weather time. That gives them one extra month of initial bad weather experiences to make them not quite as good as Leo.

Towknie, the driver's permit experience is not as important in the initial few months as you are extra careful and have an experienced driver. After about 2 months, you'll be starting into the habit forming portion of driving and that's when Leo's get the good weather time.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm...October Scorpio here, didn't start driving until February, and didn't encounter bad weather conditions until June (no snow; Florida winter is the dry season). Explain that. [Wink]

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How are we supposed to be harmonized & balanced when the rest of the a-holes on the road aren't letting us through! We Libras have a whole bunch of other stuff~(try our whole lives & yours) to balance!! So get off the road!! *plays calming music* [lol]

Squi(I have a Libra purse AND wallet!)shy

p.s. I'm losing it.

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus

quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
Hmm...October Scorpio here, didn't start driving until February, and didn't encounter bad weather conditions until June (no snow; Florida winter is the dry season). Explain that. [Wink]

Are you a good driver or a bad driver?

--------------------

jcdenton
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jcdenton   E-mail jcdenton   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Agree 100% with the weather/traffic aspect. Every one of my high school friends was in some kind of traffic accident shortly after getting their driver's license, and their accident rates dropped dramatically in later years after becoming more experienced. I think it's safe to say that those first few months after turning 16 are easily the most accident-prone, and you would definitely expect weather/traffic/road conditions to amplify that.

However, I disagree on the effect of weather/traffic on shaping "driving habits" over the long-term. It could just as easily be argued that drivers who learn how to drive in high traffic, poor weather conditions become better drivers, and develop superior driving abilities, than those who learn to drive in ideal conditions and are then unprepared to handle poor conditions. Of course, I'm not saying that's true either. Personally I tend to doubt that the overall weather/traffic conditions during the months where you are learning to drive have much affect, if any, on driving habits in the long run. I would expect any effect on learned driving habits to be temporary at best.

An additional factor to consider is that all three of the "safest signs" are also celebrating their birthdays in summer months, when driving conditions are ideal. I would expect accident rates (for all drivers regardless of sign) to be higher around the birthdays for a variety of reasons: drivers are likely to be excited about their birthday celebration and more likely to be distracted on the road. They are more likely to be driving under the influence of alcohol. They are more likely to be hung over, increasing their risk of accidents. And they are more likely to get a new car (purchased or as a gift) which they are unaccustomed to driving, and/or are going to drive more recklessly while testing out its limits. And again, you would expect weather/traffic/road conditions to amplify this risk even further, thus increasing the overall accident rate (however slightly) among those with birthdays in higher-traffic, poorer-weather, shorter-day months.

Posts: 5 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus

I wasn't saying that my theory was the explanation. I was just trying to show that the fact that your astrological sign determines the time of year when you could start driving would be a much more likely cause than the astrological sign controlling your driving.

jcdenton's theory is good too.

--------------------

Watch Your Kidneys
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Watch Your Kidneys   E-mail Watch Your Kidneys   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Even if it weren't true, a good Leo would be too proud to admit it [Wink]
Posts: 163 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ravynwriter
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ravynwriter   E-mail ravynwriter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a Libra. I've only been in one accident and I was sitting PARKED while someone else hit ME (he got a ticket, too). I've never so much as had a speeding ticket and I'm 31.

I'm the safest driver in my family. My older sister is an accident magnet. She's totalled five cars (all proven not her fault) and been a passenger in three other accidents. None fender benders, these are all BAD accidents.

She's a Leo.

My other sister totalled my mother's car. This was TOTALLY her fault (though she'll deny it up and down). She rearended someone on the freeway going fifty.

She's an Aries.

All of my sisters (I have many), have either gotten tickets or been in accidents...well, except the ones not old enough to drive yet!

Except me. And believe me, we've pretty much got the entire horoscope worth of signs covered.

Posts: 58 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jamira
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 602 posted      Profile for jamira         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen at least two versions of this "study", the one quoted above, as well as one from a different company, and one from Canada. All have different rankings for signs. All put Aquarius above Virgo. My ex (Aquarius) had 5 accidents, as well as numerous flat tires (from doing things like driving over a box in the road), all within 2 years. I (Virgo) have had one accident in 25 years, none before I was 25. It doesn't have anything to do with weather, I got my licence during a harsh winter in January, but did not drive regularly until the end of June, since I was away at school. she got her licence in February, but didn't have an accident until July.
Posts: 44 | From: Boundary, BC, Canada | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Paulie Jay
O Little Down-Payment of Bethlehem

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paulie Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've found that Capricorns are the most skeptical drivers.

--------------------
All the way with Paulie Jay

Posts: 476 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages