snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Automobiles » Honda Legacy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Honda Legacy
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 09 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: There was a marketing disaster here in Australia a few years ago
with the Honda Motor Company. They introduced a new model car which they
wanted to call the Honda Legacy. The problem is that Legacy is the name of
a major Australian charity - that raises funds and supports the surviving
families of deceased war veterans, many of whom were veterans of the war
against Japan and some inmates of the Burma Railroad or Japanese POW camps
such as Changi! As a result of some very vocal protests, the car that
Honda markets as the Legacy elsewhere is called the Legend here in
Australia!

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This reminds me of something quite unrelated.

Buick has a new car called the Lucerne. Nothing wrong with that except Lucerne is also the local dairy manufacturer.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
As a result of some very vocal protests, the car that
Honda markets as the Legacy elsewhere is called the Legend here in
Australia!

Well, as Subaru already sells a car called the Legacy here, I would think Honda would have a bit of legal trouble if they tried to sell a car with that name. I wonder if this person is thinking of the Subaru Legacy? Is the Subaru Legacy sold in Austrailia, either under that name or a different one?

There was the Acura Legend, and I think all the Acura cars were branded as Hondas in other parts of the world.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 84 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Either way, "Legacy" is a pretty common word. It's not as if they named the car the "Red Cross" or the "Salvation Army" or something similar.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
me, no really
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me, no really   Author's Homepage   E-mail me, no really   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Subaru Legacy is sold here. I also Googled Honda Legacy and couldn't find any worldwide.

me

--------------------
Check out my handmade pens
Check back often because the page changes often

Posts: 831 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Different names for different markets is common enough. The Honda Fitta became Honda Jazz in Sweden as fitta is Swedish for c*nt. I think you can guess the avalanche of joke that caused...

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Charmed I'm Sure
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charmed I'm Sure     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A workmate of mine has a Subaru Liberty. He was looking on the internet for a copy of an mechanical manual (or something) and couldn't find one anywhere. Then he discovered that it was sold elsewhere in the world as a Subaru Legacy.

It would appear it is called the Liberty in Australia because ...
Wiki Cars
quote:
In Australia, where it is sold as the Subaru Liberty (due to Australia's Legacy Clubs rejecting use of their name)
Australia's Legacy Clubs
http://www.legacy.com.au/

Edit (to add a point to the post)
So it appears that the OP was partially correct (except for almost all of the details)

Posts: 38 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But what's wiki's cite for that? Isn't it just as likely someone who heard that edited it in?

And the second website you provided makes no reference to Subaru.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TwoGuyswithaHat
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwoGuyswithaHat   E-mail TwoGuyswithaHat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It looks like their is a current model Subaru Liberty in Australia which is marketed as the Legacy elsewhere. However, I'm finding older references to an early 90s model of Subaru in Australia by the name Legacy.

--------------------
In politics, absurdity is not a handicap - Napoleon Bonaparte

Posts: 1801 | From: The Forest City, Ontario | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Charmed I'm Sure

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charmed I'm Sure     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:
But what's wiki's cite for that? Isn't it just as likely someone who heard that edited it in?

So what you are saying is that Wiki is not a good website to use for sites? [Wink]

This site http://www.factbites.com/topics/Subaru just says that it was renamed out of respect for that organisation. But the writer of the site might just have heard that and put it in there too.

quote:
Subaru's best-known vehicles are high performance turbocharged versions of its Impreza, and Legacy (known as Liberty in Australia—it was renamed out of respect for the Legacy Australia Foundation, which aids veterans and their families during and after wars), which offer ...
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:
And the second website you provided makes no reference to Subaru.

I just put the reference there so you could have an idea of what Legacy organisation is. Not to back up the argument.
Posts: 38 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 201 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sunday Mail (Queensland, Australia)
August 4, 2002, p. 46
"Dingo? What a mongrel name for a car"

quote:
Legacy is the name used by the Subaru Liberty in Japan and elsewhere, but it was changed for the Australian market in deference to the ex-servicemen's organisation.

jamira

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jamira         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Car companies often sell the same car under different brands, such as the Subaru Outback is the same (with a little difference in body trim) as a Saab model (nicknamed the Saabaru), the Honda Passport and Isuzu Rodeo are the same vehicle, as are Ford Rangers and Mazda B series trucks, a Land Rover Freelander is essentially an upgraded Ford Escape, etc. With a lot of the car companies merging, there are becoming more and more models being shared with platforms, powerplants, and pretty much everything else. What does this mean for Honda Legacy? Just that it is quite likely a differently branded car somewhere else in the world. As previously mentioned, Acuras are sold as Hondas in other parts of the world, and many Chryslers are interchangeable with Mercedes products. (Crossfire/SLK, Pacifica/R class Mercedes, and others) and Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe are essentially the same car. There are lots of other examples, but this post is getting lengthy...
Posts: 44 | From: Boundary, BC, Canada | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages