snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Automobiles » Unsafe is safe: Doing Away with Traffic Signs (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Unsafe is safe: Doing Away with Traffic Signs
bjohn13
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bjohn13     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Other pet peeves include people that hit their brakes and start their turn before they put on their blinker light. What is that about? Is that considerate?

People that don't stop before making a right turn on a red light. That is just scarey to me.

People that go past the stop sign, speedily, before stopping. Most drivers under 40 do this and if you are approaching an intersection, it is difficult to tell if they are going to stop.

People that don't merge into traffic on the expressway. They slowly enter the expressway, causing me to move over to the other lane, if that is possible, or brake, and then they speed up and pull away from me. MERGE knucklehead and we'll all get home safe.
[/QB]

Adding a few:

People who make a right hand turn at a red light when the oncoming traffic has a left turn signal.

People who skip a lane when trying to merge on the interstate. This is extremely dangerous for drivers like me who like to establish lane position before changing lanes.

Excessive lane changes in general. It's pretty frustrating to get cut off by the same driver five times on the same trip to work because he's in such a hurry to be the first one at the next stop light.

Finally, people who pass on the right on the highway have a special irksome place for me. I used to drive a truck, and this was another blind spot issue.

Posts: 23 | From: Fargo, ND | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bjohn13

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bjohn13     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nion:
I always make it a point to get into the passing lane on the highway if I think I'm going to be confronted with people on the on-ramp. I know that technically I have the right of way on the highway, but I also know I'm supposed to drive defensively. It's better to get into the passing lane (if safe!) than take the risk that the on-ramp person is going to be dodgy with the accelerator.

I don't like to make unnecessary lane changes, so if I see someone who is going to be merging into my lane during a heavy traffic period, I'll slow down and let him. I'll give him until my speed drops 10 MPH, and if he doesn't make a move to pull in front of me, I resume my previous speed.

What I hate even more than people who don't know how to merge is people who don't let others merge. Both situations are dangerous. Being the guy behind the non-merger can be dangerous if the non-merger decides to stop while I'm checking over my shoulder. Not letting someone merge happens to be just as dangerous because of the huge blind spot just behind my left shoulder. If you're in that spot while I'm trying to merge in front of you, I can't see you.

Posts: 23 | From: Fargo, ND | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bjohn13

quote:
Well, what do you expect them to do? If nobody ever stops, the pedestrian's never going to get across. As somebody who crosses a 5-lane road several times every day, I can tell you, it's bad enough already without having to just start walking into the road, hoping that everyone's paying enough attention to stop. [/QB]
Where I come from, we call this jay-walking.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages