snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Automobiles » Car batteries and concrete floors (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Car batteries and concrete floors
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 212 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I just heard on a TV program that storing automotive
batteries on concrete WILL NOT drain them. This is contorary to
everything I've heard since 20 years old. I'm now 47.

What's the truth????

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry no cite handy, but Click & Clack debunked this one. Your TV program is correct.

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bad Company
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bad Company   E-mail Bad Company   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It used to be true. The older batteries were made from natural rubber and it would "leak" energy. Modern batteries are made of plastic and no longer have this problem.
Posts: 24 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a bunch of batteries stored on concrete for several years, with no problems. I also can't see how it could drain them, so, just this time, trust TV.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
EmeraldCityAlchemist
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 215 posted      Profile for EmeraldCityAlchemist   E-mail EmeraldCityAlchemist   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, the role of the Earth in grounding does not come from any role in the "circuit" but is because the earth serves as an enormous sink into which a great deal of electrical charge can be conducted without changing the voltage. The Earth is considered to be zero volts - a point of reference. If I take a 220-volt electrical power line and plunge it into the Earth, the voltage will discharge into the Earth (the electrons will flow into/out of the ground) but the voltage of the Earth will not change significantly (except it may change a tiny bit locally, depending on what the ground there is made of). It does not "complete a circuit" in the sense of returning any electrical current to the power station. It DOES serve as a common reference point... the "zero" voltage for both your house and the power station. If I touch a live wire, the voltage will discharge through me into the Earth, since the Earth is always zero voltage relative to the wire. If I touch the "neutral" wire (from the power supply) nothing happens, since the neutral wire has the same voltage (zero) as the Earth.

--------------------
I wish I knew what the hell I was doing.

Posts: 47 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EmeraldCityAlchemist:
Actually, the role of the Earth in grounding does not come from any role in the "circuit" but is because the earth serves as an enormous sink into which a great deal of electrical charge can be conducted ...

How does this tie into the topic?

Straight question, not being snarky.

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
HollowMan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HollowMan     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There were a few posts on the first page speaking of the ground completing a circuit to drain the battery. I believe this is what ECA is talking about

--------------------
Heisenberg may have slept here.

I got an idea... an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about.

Posts: 291 | From: Greenville, SC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FullMetal
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FullMetal   E-mail FullMetal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
well, this is from my dad, and why he doesn't do it, but he was told the draining circuit thing, but what he really found was that concrete hold the cold more than wood, and putting on the concrete floor, (as it's more often in winter when you remove car batteries for extended periods) it doesn't drain the battery. but the cold concrete floor ends up causing the plastic casing to crack, spilling battery fluid all over the floor. so now he has a cabinet he puts the batteries in and hasn't had one freeze since
Posts: 153 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 203 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FullMetal:
... what he really found was that concrete hold the cold more than wood ...

There is no such thing as "hold the cold". What happens is that wood is a much better insulator than concrete and does not transfer as much heat to you (or from you in this case) when you touch it.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages