snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Automobiles » Fill 'em with pure nitrogen, please

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fill 'em with pure nitrogen, please
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 01 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Tire retailers are beginning to offer pure nitrogen gas as an alternative to compressed air, which has been the standard as along as pneumatic tires have been on the market.

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/highway1/la-hy-wheels9feb09,1,2456215.story

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RealityChuck/Boston Charlie
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RealityChuck/Boston Charlie   Author's Homepage   E-mail RealityChuck/Boston Charlie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So instead of being 80% nitrogen, they're 100%?

I suppose it'd be slightly less reactive than air, but how often do tired go bad from the inside?

Posts: 675 | From: Schenectady, NY | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Depends on how long you keep your tires. Since I usually burn through the tread within 2 years, it's not a problem. And the outside is subject to much worse than water and oil...they get hit with salt, sun, and whatever's leaked on the road.

The main benefit is the nitrogen has no water content. Water, flashing to steam as the tires heat up, can cause a noticible change in tire pressure. That's why some race cars (which can be sensitive to even 1psi of pressure change) use nitrogen. Using a water trap on your compressed air line works just fine for everyday use.

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
2 years? Perhaps you should rotate more often.

But I noticed that Costco was offering nitrogen tire fills the other day. Perhaps I'll check it out.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lawguy
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lawguy   Author's Homepage   E-mail lawguy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Theoretical advantages.

Real world profit margin. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"I've argued in front of every judge in this state, often as a lawyer."

Posts: 1021 | From: Northwest Indiana | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But it'll take quite awhile to pay off the equipment.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RoofingGuy
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RoofingGuy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr is for Lovers:

Tires are offered in a wide range of tread life... anything from below 60,000km (37,000 miles) to over 180,000km (112,000 miles) is not uncommon. When I was going to college, I was putting over 1200km (746 miles) on the car a week (and some people use their car even more than that). At that rate, the tread on a low-end tire would be gone in just under a year (50-ish weeks), regardless of rotation and proper inflation.

--------------------
I refuse to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed person...

Posts: 724 | From: Ontario, CAN | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spicyitalian
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Unless the tires are evacuated at the time they are put on, there's still going to be air in them. Tires already have air in them even at 0 psi. So first they have to be inflated to seat the beads, then they have to be evacuated and hopefully not unseat the beads, then refilled with nitrogen. I'm not seeing it happen with me anytime soon.

BTW: I generally go through tires quicker than most because of how I like to drive. Different compounds have vastly different tread life. Some good R coumpounds will wear through the 'tread' in about 4 hours of track time, that's not even counting the professional ones used for indy, nascar, etc...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ilwrath
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Unless the tires are evacuated at the time they are put on, there's still going to be air in them. Tires already have air in them even at 0 psi. So first they have to be inflated to seat the beads, then they have to be evacuated and hopefully not unseat the beads, then refilled with nitrogen. I'm not seeing it happen with me anytime soon.
Hmm... Good point. I wonder how they deal with that? Doesn't say what they do about the ~1 bar of air that starts in the tire when it's fit to the rim.

As for myself, unless it's a free service from one of the local tire shops, I can't see myself going for it, either. I only get about 2 years out of the tires for my Mustang (ZR-rated 30,000 mile) so I doubt that Oxygen is causing them much harm.

Plus it would be such a pain trying to keep people from adding regular air to them. Everytime you go to get an oil change you have to explain to the kid that you have Nitrogen in your tires, while he looks at you like you grew another head... [lol]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

quote:
Originally posted by RoofingGuy:
quote:

Tires are offered in a wide range of tread life... anything from below 60,000km (37,000 miles) to over 180,000km (112,000 miles) is not uncommon. When I was going to college, I was putting over 1200km (746 miles) on the car a week (and some people use their car even more than that). At that rate, the tread on a low-end tire would be gone in just under a year (50-ish weeks), regardless of rotation and proper inflation.
Let me just say this: I have always been able to make tires outlast their tread warranty.

My guess is style of driving affects treadwear as much as rotation and inflation.

--------------------

Fowlplay
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fowlplay   E-mail Fowlplay   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I spend about half of my days in my truck. I put on roughly 40k per year, so 80 thousand miles (2 years) on a truck tire is about as good as you can expect. And that is with a lot of highway miles too. Plus I pull a trailer and go to a lot of construction sites. I'm usually lucky if I can get a tire to last it's full life without impalling itself on something that makes it un-repairable, but even when I do and even when I take very good care of them, the treadware rarely goes too far past their posted rating.

--------------------
"Sometimes it will be fluffy bunnies and cotton candy. Sometimes it will be napalm and defoliants. Sometimes it is roasted bunnies." -Rhiandmoi

Posts: 627 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RoofingGuy
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RoofingGuy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RoofingGuy:
quote:

Let me just say this: I have always been able to make tires outlast their tread warranty.

My guess is style of driving affects treadwear as much as rotation and inflation.

So, if Fowlplay drove "better", that'd get over 80k out of a 35k tire?

--------------------

Posts: 724 | From: Ontario, CAN | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Uh, I didn't say that.

I said my tires outlast their treadwear warranty.

--------------------

RoofingGuy
The First USA Noel

Ok, I've had tires oultast their "performance rating" too... but I don't see what that specifically has to do with your original "2 years?" comment.

The post of mine you quoted said that some tires are "rated" as low as 37k (or lower), so the
quote:
seemed to be implying (seeing as how it was all stemming from the "2 years?" question) that driving style could extend tire life by that much.

--------------------

AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

I was really just offering some advice, RoofingGuy.

I have never had tires that lasted only two years, regardless of their treadwear rating. And since tires cost me ~$500/set, even six more months of wear is worth it to me.

--------------------

Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think I've ever bought a tire with any treadwear warranty for my car. Generally, low treadwear-rated tires don't have one. But my excessive tire wear has more to high-g cornering and aggressive alignment settings. This set might last me more than 2 years simply because I've got 2 cars now to split the driving between. I'm guessing I won't get much mileage out of the Goodyear F1 Supercar tires on the other car...at least the rear ones. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Robigus, Frozen Mushroom
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robigus, Frozen Mushroom   E-mail Robigus, Frozen Mushroom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure about the cost consideration. At my work, we "rent" (purchase the gas contents of the cylinder with a signed agreement to refill the cylinders only from them. If we stop using the cylinder, we have to return them) cylinders from a local supply house, and a replacement/refill of a medium tank of nitrogen is around $15. A tank this size would allow me to do several fill and flushes of both my vehicles, and have enough nitrogen left to keep the pressure up for the entire life of these tires, and perhaps the next set as well. For a commercial enterprise, this might be too expensive, but if for my personal use, I think I could swing the price.
Posts: 724 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

The article in the OP seems to talk about a very different type of system, Robigus.

--------------------

Robigus, Frozen Mushroom
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robigus, Frozen Mushroom   E-mail Robigus, Frozen Mushroom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The system in the OP is basically a filter that removes everything but the dry nitrogen, and uses it to fill tires. I'm just saying, for the cost of what the article says the stores are charging customers, I would get my own nitrogen, rather than pay the store price, IF I were inclined to run nitrogen in my tires
Posts: 724 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

It also depends on if you burn rubber a little too often as well that can effect your tire efficiency. Can drop it below 2 years too.

Racers have to replace their tires 4-10 sets a day depending on how many laps to run because of the high burning they do whether from the pit road or burnout from crash or otherwise.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 212 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: THERE IS A WHOLE BUNCH OF TALK ABOUT PLACED PUTTING NITROGEN IN
PLACE OF AIR IN CAR TIRES - IT DID NOT THINK ABOUT IT WHEN I PICKED IT
UP -NUMEROUS CHAT SITES DISCUSS THIS BUT, AS A CHEMICAL ENGINEER, I DO
NOT TRUST ANY OF THESE OPINIONS.
THE ONLY THING I CAN ESTABLISH THAT HAS ANY BIT OF POTENTIAL TRUTH IS THAT
NASCAR AND THE AIRLINE INDUSTRY MAY USE N2 IN THEIR TIRES - BUT APPARENTLY
ONLY OUT OF CONVENIENCE (NOT NEEDING A COMPRESSOR ON SITE TO FILL).
THERE ALSO MAY BE SOME TRUTH ABOUT ELIMINATING MOISTURE IN THE TIRES WHICH
CAN CAUSE SOME MORE ERATIC PRESSURE CHANGES AS TEMPERATURE CHANGES. THE
REST ALL SMELLS LIKE SNAKE OIL.
THE INTERESTING THING IS THAT APPARENTLY CAR AND TIRE STORES ARE SELLING
THIS AT AND IN SOME PLACES AT A PREMIUM. AS AN EXAMPLE I NOW HAVE GREEN
VALVE STEM CAPS AND I REMEMBER SOMETHING BEING MENTIONED ON ONE OF THE
MESSAGE BOARDS BEHING THE CLERK.
THE ONE THING I KNOW IS IT IS PROBABLY NOT BAD BUT I HAVE A HARD TIME
BELIEVING THAT AIR (78% NITROGEN AND 20% OXYGEN) IS NOT EXACTLY HARMFUL OR
DANGEROUS...
ANYWAY...
DO Y'ALL KNOW OF ANY FACTUAL INFORMATION FROM A REPUTABLE SOURCE THAT CAN
CLEAR THIS UP?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wolf333
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolf333     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone has already mentioned the expansion of the air in the tire as it heats up, and that is exacly why we use nitrogen in aircraft tires (along with contraction during cold weather.

--------------------
"We take evil really seriously"

Posts: 175 | From: Tokyo, Japan | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nod
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nod     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi - long time not been around!

Just spoken to a mate who's involved in motor racing. The tyres are filled with Nitrogen because of it's low coefficient of expansion. Even the 22% of other gasses is enough to make a noticeable difference to pressures at racing speeds and temperatures.

Aircraft tyres are subject to much bigger temperature changes from the -50* centigrade at cruising height to the fairly extreme temperatures caused by friction on landing.
Hope this is of help.

--------------------
Many a True Word Spoken in Jest!

Posts: 73 | From: Devon, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The other reason for using N is moisture. You do not want any water in a tire that will go from -60C to +140C. The water can REALLY change the expansion coefficient.

For a car, however, it is more or less BS.

ETA: Sorry, somehow missed Delta-V's post.

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 602 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug4.7:
The other reason for using N is moisture. You do not want any water in a tire that will go from -60C to +140C. The water can REALLY change the expansion coefficient.

For a car, however, it is more or less BS.

Actually, it isn't BS. If the temperature where you live goes below freezing, one of the dangers that you face are having the moisture in your tires freeze/thaw along the rim or in the valve stem (which can cause slow leaks). You also have the issue of corrosion around the bead.

Most garage air compressors will have a water trap, and some will have an in-line oiler (because the air is used primarily for air tools), but few use a refrigerant-type air dryer (such as that used for instrument air), which is what you would like, just to keep any moisture out of your tires.

--------------------
"The fate of *billions* depends on you! Hahahahaha....sorry." Lord Raiden - Mortal Kombat

Posts: 1587 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How about using helium? Then I could finally have the flying car they promised me back in 1956!

Brad "they were supposed to deliver it in 1981" from Georgia

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CheseJRS
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CheseJRS   E-mail CheseJRS   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For what its worth, we put dry nitrogen into aircraft tires, some of which are pressurized to 200+ psi. Here is a clip of a rejected take of test gone wrong that shows the dangers of tires in aviation tires at least http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhMEN959voE Wait until about 4 minutes or so.

--------------------
-- John

Posts: 16 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
How about using helium? Then I could finally have the flying car they promised me back in 1956!

Brad "they were supposed to deliver it in 1981" from Georgia

Helium is so small it will most likely leak right thru the tire wall.
Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages