snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Automobiles » Watch out if you own a Ford!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Watch out if you own a Ford!
BlueStar
Happy Holly Days

Icon 22 posted      Profile for BlueStar     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just had passed on by someone that their security guy at work told them to warn drivers of Ford cars to be extra careful about security at the moment. The story goes that there's a chip in standard Ford car stereos that can be used to modify set-top boxes (The boxes used to receive digital TV here in the UK) so they can get premium channels for free. Hence, nefarious characters have been targeting Ford cars to steal their radios at the moment.

Sounds very ULish to me! Anyone heard anything similar?

Posts: 1710 | From: Newcastle, UK | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Towknie
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Towknie   E-mail Towknie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Meh, my Ford is owned by my company, which is selling us off this coming year. Maybe I'll just leave the door unlocked!

--------------------
Towknie: Ryda-certified as wonderful, enlighted, and rational.

Posts: 1011 | From: Frisco, TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bjohn13
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bjohn13     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think its hogwash. Most digital set top boxes actually have a hard drive and processor. Software is required to "unscramble" the signal.

There are ways to hack this software, but I doubt anything you'd find in a Ford radio would help.

Posts: 23 | From: Fargo, ND | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Electronics today are too complex, I find it highly unlikely that it will work unless it's a trivial component, in which case it could be bought from any electronic component seller for almost no money.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose the point is not whether components from a Ford car radio actually can be used to modify a set-top box (which I too find unlikely.) It's more - do enough idiots who are inclined to try it believe it will work. If they do, they will still go around stealing Ford radios.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bjohn13
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bjohn13     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eddylizard:
I suppose the point is not whether components from a Ford car radio actually can be used to modify a set-top box (which I too find unlikely.) It's more - do enough idiots who are inclined to try it believe it will work. If they do, they will still go around stealing Ford radios.

Good point.
Posts: 23 | From: Fargo, ND | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 216 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's more - do enough idiots who are inclined to try it believe it will work. If they do, they will still go around stealing Ford radios.
Apparently so:

'Urban myth' sparks stereo theft

Police have said 205 cars were hit by car stereo thefts in Cardiff over the weekend - four times the usual number.

Reports showed 95% of them were Ford models. The car firm believe this is in light of an "urban myth" that they can be used to decode digital TV boxes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/south_east/6168916.stm

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages