snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Automobiles » More wishful thinking about how to avoid tickets

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: More wishful thinking about how to avoid tickets
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 221 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: i have heard a rumor that if you are being followed by a police
officer once you make 3 turns they are not allowed to follow you anymore.
can you please shed some light on this for me please.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Probably drawn from the advice circulated in email and other places, that if you think you're being followed by another car, make three right turns -- if after that the same car is behind you, you know you're being followed.

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Beechwill
I Am Curious, Yellowtail

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beechwill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, that one time when I was a teenager in Southern Ontario, the cop followed me through a lot more than three turns before I lost him. Sadly, I'm not kidding.

Of course, if any law enforcement officers are reading this, I'm totally kidding.

--------------------
"Death is not the end. There remains the litigation over the estate."
-Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 17 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kitoboo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitoboo   E-mail kitoboo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was in college I was riding with a couple of my girlfriends in the residential neighborhood near the college. A fire truck pulled up close behind us and briefly sounded the siren. Since there was no place to pull over my friend turned at the first right. The fire truck followed us as she frantically continued to make right turns trying to get out of the way until it finally passed us with all the firemen grinning and waving at us.

So I can't speak for police officers but I know firsthand that firemen will sometimes follow a car full of young women for more than three right turns.

kitoBOO

-

Posts: 399 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
black roses 19
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for black roses 19   E-mail black roses 19   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have always heard this too. I remember being really young and with my dad. He was getting pulled over and decided to make 4 turns. He told me that after 3 turns, it's considered "stalking" or "profiling" or something and they couldn't pull you over.

After making the 4 turns, he sped up and eventually lost the police officer.

Yeah, my dad is the kind of guy who gets pulled over on a monthly basis and if is in the right car will *always* try to outrun them [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"I find them to be in contradiction of the basic principles of YOUR MOM!!!" -We've Got Mail

Posts: 1361 | From: Muncie, IN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They can follow you to the end of their jurisdiction. But if they do, they either want you really bad, or they're really bored.

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If they want you bad enough, and have probable cause, they can follow you out of their jurisdiction. Case in point- the 18 wheeler that was hijacked here in the Metroplex a month or so ago. Dallas SWAT, DPD, and others followed the truck until TX Department of Public Safety relieved them west of Fort Worth (many miles west of Dallas).

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Griffin 2020:
If they want you bad enough, and have probable cause, they can follow you out of their jurisdiction.

This is known as "hot pursuit" and is perfectly legal.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Right, Griffin and Seaboe, but the OP was, I think, talking about the situation where you haven't done anything wrong yet.

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
pob14, the OP also didn't say anything about leaving the jurisdiction.

Within the jursidiction, why would a cop not be able to follow you?

I think the type of people who believe this sort of thing would do better to just study the traffic laws.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you make it obvious that you are trying to avoid the officer, he is going to pull you over for suspicion.

--------------------

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nappy Solo
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nappy Solo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I once called the local police to complain about being followed for a very long time by a marked patrol car. Probably the better part of three miles with many turns. They radioed the officer, and called me back at work. The officer stated that he thought I looked "suspicious". I was driving my SO's 1968 Opel. Maybe that was why. Anyway, no three turn rule was followed in this case. I did nothing, didn't really look suspicious, they just kept following.

--------------------
Virtue is its own reward. But, then again, so is vice....

Posts: 167 | From: Lincoln, NE | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
reflex
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reflex   E-mail reflex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If you make it obvious that you are trying to avoid the officer, he is going to pull you over for suspicion.

Suspicion of what? Many people get nervous when being tailed. I can remember one situation where a cop got up right behind me, then pulled me over after tailing me for a few minutes. He said I hadn't really committed any violations, but I had 'swerved' a little when he got behind me. He said he figured I was just nervous because he had pulled behind me, but wanted to make sure I wasn't intoxicated. A probable cause, maybe, but one where the officer himself *was* the probable cause! [Smile]

--------------------
The opinions expressed herein do not represent those of any rational human being and are solely for the purpose of entertainment.

Posts: 487 | From: Brick City (Newark), NJ | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Does an officer need "probable cause" to pull you over?

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

I do not think that they need PC to pull you over, but I know that if they look hard enough, they can find SOMETHING to ticket you for.

--------------------

Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 02 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I do not think that they need PC to pull you over,

Oh, yes they do.
quote:
but I know that if they look hard enough, they can find SOMETHING to ticket you for.

Seriously, why would they bother? Do you think there are so few asshat drivers out there that the cops need to make things up?

Seaboe

--------------------

Class Bravo
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SeabooMuffinchucker:
Seriously, why would they bother? Do you think there are so few asshat drivers out there that the cops need to make things up?

What I got out of that is that they can find a way to pull you over if they are suspicious that you have drugs in the car or something to that effect, not for traffic violations.
Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jamira
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jamira         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My brother in law is a member of the RCMP in Canada. Not 3 turn rule here, and they can and will follow you, observe you, and may pull you over if they have a reason to. They can't randomly pull someone over, but the suspicion can be stretched pretty thin. I know of a case where people were suspected of smuggling srugs, the constable had to wait until they were speeding a little before they could pull him over. No drugs were found, but they did find poached (not cooked, fished out of season) fish which was a contravention of the Wildlife Act.
Posts: 44 | From: Boundary, BC, Canada | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Back when I was a teenager and I was considering law enforcement as a career I did a few ride-alongs with my city's police department. I recall one night I was riding on patrol with an officer I knew pretty well and we saw an old beat-up car being driven by a dirty-looking guy that the officer had arrested before. The officer said something to the effect of, "Ah man, this guy is a f***ing tweaker" and we did a U-turn and started following the car.

Once we got behind him we saw that (a) his registration was expired and (b) the light for his rear license plate was burned out, so the officer pulled him over on that premise. Of course he was just trying to see if the guy had drugs in his car, which he did (crystal meth), so he arrested the guy and took him in.

Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
greenerben
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greenerben     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope this hasn't been dead for too long; I just wanted to add my two cents on this... For some reason completely lost on me, a lot of the cops I come across seem to think I look pretty darn suspicious (or fun to mess with, perhaps). In less than 4 years I've been pulled over around 15-17 times, and all but two (maybe three) of them were pretty frivolous. In fact, I've only gotten one ticket out of all those, and I got that dropped in court... To give you an idea of the diversity of these supposed offenses, I should point out that only two were for speeding at 5+ over the limit. For instance, my parents' house was on a really small, quiet street shared by only 3 other houses, yet on this street I've been pulled over twice for signaling less than 75 feet before turning (into an alleyway, no less). Although I'd still find it stupid, I MIGHT understand this (even though it was 12:30 at night, so NO ONE was around) IF it were possible to signal 75 feet before turning. Alas, it wasn't, as the alley was only about 30 feet from the end of the street. I've also been pulled over several times for going 2-3 MPH over the limit (once in a 25 and twice in a 30 zone). Seriously, the speedometer on a 1967 Volvo is not likely to be accurate to 2 MPH.

Anyway, my point is just that if an officer makes up his/her mind to pull you over, s/he won't have any trouble coming up with a reason. Honestly, though, those sorts of reasons just make me more frustrated than if they just said they didn't have one.

(Edited for clarity)

Posts: 70 | From: Seattle (and sometimes Tacoma), WA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tuff_gong
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tuff_gong     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Around here a majority of the drug possesion busts seem to happen during "routine traffic stops." I've always assumed that meant "confidential informant," but cops didn't want to admit to it - they'd rather make you paranoid.

--------------------
"Cops Nab Co-eds in Pot Orgy"

Posts: 18 | From: Springdale, AR | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mlocker
Bone Appétit!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlocker   E-mail mlocker       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Good info.

Michael Locker MD

--------------------
Michael Locker MD

Posts: 1 | From: Long Grove, IL | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dark Blue
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dark Blue   E-mail Dark Blue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
i have heard a rumor that if you are being followed by a police
officer once you make 3 turns they are not allowed to follow you anymore.

Not correct.....unless perhaps it's an department's policy.
quote:
Of course, if any law enforcement officers are reading this, I'm totally kidding.

Of course you are [Wink]

quote:
This is known as "hot pursuit" and is perfectly legal.

You don't have to be in hot pursuit to leave your jurisdiction and perform police actions.

quote:
Does an officer need "probable cause" to pull you over?

Yes

The big rumor/myth here is that an officer can't sit off the side of the road and clock people with a radar at night if he has his lights off. Which is not correct either.

--------------------
I'm a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf. -- On Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs by LTC. Dave Grossman, USA (Ret)

Posts: 675 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WingedBear
A View to a Krill

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WingedBear   E-mail WingedBear   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard a similar claim yesterday. I went out to the bar with coworkers a couple nights ago, and I happened to leave a little after one of the other guys, who had a bit more to drink than he probably should have. I knew that he was driving in front of me, but I found out that he didn't know it was me behind him. He thought I was a cop, so he jumped onto the first interstate ramp, because "they won't follow you onto the freeway."

I've never heard of that before.

Unfortunately, he was so nervous that he took the wrong ramp, in the opposite direction from the way he wanted to go, and which also happened to be the way I was going. And since I go the speed limit, and he wasn't going to go above the speed limit with a cop behind him, I ended up tailing him for quite a while before he tried getting off and finally saw it was me.

--------------------
If the sum of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the square on the other two sides, why is a mouse when it spins?

Posts: 90 | From: Cleveland, OH | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What about this one: http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/decoy.asp

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
UrbanReindeer
Deck the Malls

Icon 205 posted      Profile for UrbanReindeer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
but I know that if they look hard enough, they can find SOMETHING to ticket you for.

Seaboe [/QB]

It actually happened to me once. I'd just bought a used car, temporary registration prominently displayed, and was driving to work in the pouring rain. Right in front of my office I got pulled over for "illegally tinted windows". California law has weird restrictions on what windows you can have tinted and how dark; apparently my car had come from another state and was in violation. Now this was in south Santa Barbara, a rich area with probably hundreds of cars in violation.

Anyway, once he saw my temporary registration, he knew I could successfully contest the ticket, so he ticketed me for not having the correct address on my license.

What really made me mad is that I barely escaped being run over in crosswalks in this area on a regular basis. Where's the freaking cops then!?

--------------------
"He feeds the sparrows of the field, but He doesn't sit there and cram worms into their mouths." -- Mouse

Posts: 396 | From: Pasadena, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages