snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Automobiles » Park on the curb regardless?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Park on the curb regardless?
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 221 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My parents have always taunted me, you must park your car on the curb or someone will hit your car.

But are people that careless to end up hitting your car or is it illegal to not be parked on the curb in the first place?

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You're 25, and have presumably travelled in cars which your parents were not driving. Where did they park? Where do cars park in movies and on tv?

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always thought, why risk reparking hitting the car behind me and in front of me just to be on the darn curb. I'm there and parked. The person in front of me should move forward if he cared or install side wheelers on the newest cars.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have no idea what you're talking about.

--------------------

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Some places you are supposed to park on the curb and if you don't you run the risk of getting hit by someone that expects you to be on the curb. Some places you are not supposed to park on the curb and you will get a ticket for obstructing the sidewalk.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Really? I've never parked on the curb in my life. I heart my tires.

--------------------

wanderwoman
Bluetooth Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wanderwoman   E-mail wanderwoman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to say I have led a sheltered life. I have never been anywhere where you're supposed to park on the curb and didn't realize there were such places. But then, I don't get out much. [Smile]

--------------------
"But I'm adding this to my reasons why I never really liked really good looking men much. Sheesh, what good is good looking if you have to stuff a sock in his mouth." - Sara at home
NFBSK, IIRC and other mysterious Snopester language

Posts: 851 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Joseph, do you perhaps mean "at" the curb or "next to" the curb rather than on it, with your wheels on the sidewalk?

--------------------

Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If we're talking "at" the curb, NYS law says you must be within 12 inches from it.

quote:
S 1203. Additional parking regulations. (a) Except where angle parking is authorized, every vehicle stopped, standing, or parked wholly upon a two-way roadway shall be so stopped, standing, or parked with the right-hand wheels of such vehicle parallel to and within twelve inches of the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway.
From here.

So I think the answer to your question, Joseph Z, is yes, it is illegal, in New York State at least, to not be parked "on" (that is, next to) the curb in the first place.

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chloe:
Really? I've never parked on the curb in my life. I heart my tires.

Usually places that want you to park on the curb the curb is sort of round instead of square IME.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smackmac
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smackmac     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here we have some very narrow streets. Some people who have parking on both sides of their street and are afraid of being hit, so they park on the curb. But you will have some houses on the streets with signs in their yards saying "Please don't park on curb." I guess they get tired of repairing the sidewalks.

I have never heard that you must park on the curb or you'll get hit. It's just a preference, AFAIK.

--------------------
"Maybe getting in the last word doesn't really mean you win." - The Clarks

Posts: 486 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When the business at the corner had employees who drove company vehicles (so that their personal vehicles clogged all of the surrounding residential streets), many of these people parked their cars with one set of wheels up on the parking strip. There're a number of parking strips that have been paved over either to accomodate this practice or because the owners didn't want to mow them (they're too narrow for trees).

I carefully placed a sharp hunk of granite in my parking strip to prevent such behavior (actually, since there's a "no parking" sign in front of my house, people weren't supposed to be parking there at all). No one ever complained to me (although one really bad driver did hit the rock and chip a piece off of it) and I note that since the business has changed the location where they store the company vehicles, parking with one set of wheels up on the parking strip has essentially stopped.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joseph Z:
My parents have always taunted me,

Aw, you couldn't've been THAT funny-looking a kid.
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages