snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Automobiles » Busted by the light

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Busted by the light
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 213 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I heard one years ago. At night, a friend was flying down a
2-lane country road. As it so happened, a passing cop 'clocked' him.
While he turned around, my buddy floored it, heading to an oil well way
down off of the road. When he hit the drive, he turned off his lights &
killed the motor.
A very short time later (& to his surprise), there was the sheriff at his
window.

When he asked the cop how he had caught him, the cop calmly explained:

"You left me in the dust, and I thought you got away. Just remember next
time to take your foot off the brake pedal when you're trying to hide!"

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ILS
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ILS   E-mail ILS   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
He killed the motor, but left the ignition on?

The brake light would work if the engine was running, but if one turns off one's car, I do not beleive the brake lights would operate.

Posts: 287 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seltaeb
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seltaeb     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not true, ILS. With every car I've ever owned, the brake lights work whether or not the vehicle is running.
Posts: 109 | From: Lenexa, Kansas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Forgotten Fay
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Forgotten Fay   Author's Homepage   E-mail Forgotten Fay   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[lol]
Yes, it's true. Every car I have seen/own, the brake light still works when the car is off. I think it's a safty thing of some sort.

--------------------
"Smile for me when I cannot Smile anymore..." ~ Myself

Posts: 174 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mizu
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mizu   E-mail Mizu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, brake lights work even if the motor is off, my mother had a habit of leaving her foot on the brake while the rest of us were waiting for a key to open the trunk..and that was the '89 Celebrity. I thought that was kind of cool when I noticed it.

--------------------
"I am lost in the familiar streets
and created the other side of myself in the darkness" ~ Kawaita Sakebi~ Field of View

Posts: 302 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lydia Oh Lydia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I first read the title of the thread, I thought it was going to be more of a rant about red light cameras.

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glisp42
I'm Dreaming Of A White iPod

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glisp42   Author's Homepage   E-mail glisp42   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I first read the title, my next thought was, "revved up like a duece another runner in the night"
Which kinda makes sense with the OP.

--------------------
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK" and other lingo mean?

And we'll collect the moments one by one I guess that's how the future's done. -Feist

Posts: 1641 | From: Kansas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages