snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Automobiles » Airbags and feet on the dashboard (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Airbags and feet on the dashboard
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Another thing to consider is that there are serious injuries which may not be immediately obvious, and which may be made worse by getting out of the car and moving around. Emergency personnel are trained in the proper way to move an injured, or possibly injured, person. Aside from the exceptions Troberg has mentioned, and assuming that help is on the way, the safest place is in the car, with your seatbelt still fastened.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BoKu
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoKu   Author's Homepage   E-mail BoKu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
...The angle and lens compresses the perspective, the bow was not as steep as it looks.

[meandering off-topic]

I think that the bow to which Troberg refers (painted orange in the lower photo) is the supporting arch of the bridge. Based on the video footage on the linked page, I think that that photo is of the bridge under construction ca 1960, and that the road deck had not yet been added. If true, then the towers and suspension cables in that lower photo are merely temporary support for the permanent arch. Permanent, that is, until struck by the freighter...

Bob "BoKu" K.

Posts: 2079 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mother of Nanaballis
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 214 posted      Profile for Mother of Nanaballis         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a neighbor who was driving on a residential street and a dog ran out in front of her. She swerved to miss the dog and hit a parked car. She was traveling 30mph, tops. The airbag deployed and since she wears glasses, she ended up with a broken nose and two shiners. She said it felt like getting slapped in the face with a pair of wet jeans. If the airbag hadn't deployed, she probably would have only had to deal with the insurance company for the car damage.
Posts: 23 | From: Charlotte, NC | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
assuming that help is on the way, the safest place is in the car, with your seatbelt still fastened.
If you are feeling woozy or suspect that you might faint, take off the safety belt. It happens that people slump forward and the air flow is restricted, especially short persons.

quote:
I think that the bow to which Troberg refers (painted orange in the lower photo) is the supporting arch of the bridge. Based on the video footage on the linked page, I think that that photo is of the bridge under construction ca 1960, and that the road deck had not yet been added. If true, then the towers and suspension cables in that lower photo are merely temporary support for the permanent arch.
You are probably correct, the ramps would not make sense otherwise, as most drivers prefer to not jump onto the bridge.

quote:
I had a neighbor who was driving on a residential street and a dog ran out in front of her. She swerved to miss the dog and hit a parked car. She was traveling 30mph, tops. The airbag deployed and since she wears glasses, she ended up with a broken nose and two shiners. She said it felt like getting slapped in the face with a pair of wet jeans. If the airbag hadn't deployed, she probably would have only had to deal with the insurance company for the car damage.
That's a good example of the risks of air bags.

It could easily had been much worse. Say that she had been travelling at some speed, having a light bump with another car. The air bag would probably make her lose control of the car, which could be lethal.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I should probably see about having the airbags in my car disabled. I'm not quite 5'1" and DD, at 13, is even shorter. Her seat is all the way back; mine is back as far as I can get it and reach the pedals, and then it's reclined very slightly to move my torso a little farther from the air bag.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nexus
I Am Curious, Yellowtail

Icon 108 posted      Profile for Nexus   E-mail Nexus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
All this reminds me of a debate topic from way back in college. We argued, quite sucessfully, that seatbelts and restraints cause people to be reckless.

The way to ensure everyone drives safely? Mount a needle sharp spike on the steering column, six inches long and about 3 inches from the driver's chest. If all vehicles were fitted as such, the accident rate would plummet. [Smile]

Posts: 29 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
It could easily had been much worse. Say that she had been travelling at some speed, having a light bump with another car. The air bag would probably make her lose control of the car, which could be lethal.

I've seen a demonstration on television that shows that, as long as you keep your head, you can keep control of the vehicle after a deployment. The airbag was set up for deployment via a press of a switch from a remote location. The driver did not know when or if the bag would deploy. Each time it did, he didn't even hardly swerve.

Granted, this didn't involve a collision with another vehicle. However, he also had no idea when, or even IF the airbag would deploy. If you know you are about to hit someone/thing, you have a second or two to prepare for what's coming.

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Q: How about the stupid people that stick their feet outside the window next to an airbag deployer? Would that still cancel your life?

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've seen a demonstration on television that shows that, as long as you keep your head, you can keep control of the vehicle after a deployment. The airbag was set up for deployment via a press of a switch from a remote location. The driver did not know when or if the bag would deploy. Each time it did, he didn't even hardly swerve.

Granted, this didn't involve a collision with another vehicle. However, he also had no idea when, or even IF the airbag would deploy. If you know you are about to hit someone/thing, you have a second or two to prepare for what's coming.

I doubt that was a fully loaded airbag. No serious researcher would put a person in front of a device that punch like Tyson and fire it when they don't expect it.

Also, even if they don't know exactly when it will happen, they are still mentally prepared and thinking about it.

As you say, it's also different if you are already in an emergency situation. If the car is skidding all over, it's easier to lose control.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
geminilee
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for geminilee   E-mail geminilee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Troberg, why wouldn't they fully load the airbag? After all, that is just the situation that airbags put everyone in all the time. If it is safe enough to use when you have the added force of your own forward motion, it would be safe when you are motionless from its frame of reference.
And, minor nitpick, if your car is skidding all over the place, you have already lost control.
I do have to agree with you on the mental preparedness thing, though. The subjects may not know when or if it is going to happen, but they are aware it is a possibility. I doubt it even enters the mind of most drivers.

--------------------
"Accompanied by the ghosts of dolphins, the ghost of a ship sailed on..." Terry Pratchett

Posts: 660 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

quote:
Troberg, why wouldn't they fully load the airbag? After all, that is just the situation that airbags put everyone in all the time. If it is safe enough to use when you have the added force of your own forward motion, it would be safe when you are motionless from its frame of reference.
Perhaps the test subjects don't fancy broken noses, black eyes, lost teeth and possibly broken arms and wrists. Air bags are not safe, they are just safer than hitting the steering wheel.

quote:
And, minor nitpick, if your car is skidding all over the place, you have already lost control.
Not really, a quick manouver to avoid an obstruction often leads to a controlled skid or a skid that is easy to regain control of, especially in the winter.

Heck, I spend almost the entire winter skidding around icy roads, sometimes because it's the quickest way around a corner, sometimes just for fun.

--------------------
/Troberg

Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The airbag was indeed fully-loaded. He barely flinched, and he was uninjured. The airbag only touched his arms, if anything. He didn't hit anything so he did not faceplant on it. *shrug*

I guess what it comes down to is I'd rather have my face plow into an airbag than a steering wheel.

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages