snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Automobiles » Rental switcheroo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rental switcheroo
Illuminatus
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Illuminatus   E-mail Illuminatus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was reading a Car and Driver or similar mag at the dentists' office a few days ago, and they mentioned an interesting UL. Supposedly, Hertz used to (and will soon again) rent Shelby Mustangs in certain high-end markets. According to the UL, they discontinued the practice in the 60's because people would rent the cars, and spend the weekend swapping out the engines for a much less powerful Mustang engine. Anyone heard this?

--------------------
"DEAR APPALLED: I see no harm in a group of young women playing strip poker at an all-girl slumber party." -Dear Abby

Posts: 532 | From: Champaign-Urbana, IL | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BoKu
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoKu   Author's Homepage   E-mail BoKu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard this one too, in a couple of versions. In one, the renter substitutes an entirely different car for the rental - returning a repainted and rebadged Mustang in place of the Shelby.

I can see this happeneing once; I doubt it ever would have been a common practice.

Posts: 2079 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just heard a story on NPR today that's sort of similar. Back in the early days of NASCAR, when they raced actual stock cars (as opposed to the cars they race nowadays that only minimally resemble actual production cars), a driver once rented a car from Hertz in the morning, raced it and won $200, and then returned that evening.

Ok, so "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" has been taken in by ULs before, but the story supposedly came from the driver did it.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amethyst Dragon
Deck the Malls

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Amethyst Dragon   E-mail Amethyst Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
according to the greasemonkey sitting next to me, swapping parts has happened. one of the rental companies here sent an '02 Isuzu truck to the dealership next to his for a check engine light being on. it showed a transmission code, so they checked it....it was a transmission from an '00.
Posts: 255 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amethyst Dragon
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amethyst Dragon   E-mail Amethyst Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
*poof* goes the annoying double post [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 255 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WildaBeast:
I just heard a story on NPR today that's sort of similar. Back in the early days of NASCAR, when they raced actual stock cars (as opposed to the cars they race nowadays that only minimally resemble actual production cars), a driver once rented a car from Hertz in the morning, raced it and won $200, and then returned that evening.

According to NASCAR.com on March 8th, 1951, NASCAR held it's first West Coast race in Gardena, CA. Frank Mundy, unable to land a ride in a race car for the event, rents an automobile from a rental car firm and finishes 11th, winning $25s. Mundy waited until after dark to return the car so the attendant wouldn't notice the bald tires.

The winner was driving a Hudson Hornet. Not sure what Hertz was renting at the time. Apparently rental cars weren't uncommmon as drivers chasing points were known to fly in without a ride and rent a car.

The Hertz Shelbys were intended as rent-a-racers. Don't know if anyone ever won with one. Certainly not in NASCAR, of course.

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I doubt anyone would swap something as big and noticable as an engine, especially when it should be easy to track them down.

However, I wouldn't put it past people to try to pinch smaller, less noticable parts.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Berus
Miso Horny

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Berus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In any case, it is true that Hertz did offer the (Mustang) Shelby GT 350 H as a rental car back then. The letter H indicated the special rental car series produced for Hertz.

They now plan to do the same thing again with the 2006 Mustang. Photos here, among many places in the web.

As for the engine swap story, it seems that Carroll Shelby himself, the creator of the original GT-350H Mustang, said so:

"They'd rent 'em on a Friday, race 'em on the weekend and some would bring 'em back on Monday -- after they replaced the engine with a smaller one," he said with a laugh at a dinner to announce the program."

from here

Now that is also just a quote, not proof. But it does not sound impossible to me that it may have happened.

Posts: 2 | From: Saarbruecken, Germany | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RichardM
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RichardM   Author's Homepage   E-mail RichardM   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, it happened more than once. And it is not that hard to swap engines. Actually, the engine you would swap for wasn't any bigger. The Shelby had better compression, camshaft and carburators compared to the stock 289s.

As for my cite, I am a 25 year member of the SCCA and at least one FOFA did it. [Smile] But it did happen.

Also, several GT350Hs were run in autocrosses. But this is a type of race you can run in your every day street car without damaging your car.

Posts: 129 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RichardM:
Also, several GT350Hs were run in autocrosses. But this is a type of race you can run in your every day street car without damaging your car.

'cept for maybe the tires. I know several people who have hit a local event in their rental when out of town on business. Then there's the 'common car' autocrosses where everyone drives the same (rental) car. I've also seen a rented Maxima with a 100-shot NOS system at a dragstrip.

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glisp42
I'm Dreaming Of A White iPod

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glisp42   Author's Homepage   E-mail glisp42   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to my hot rod buddy, Car and Driver did a story about a guy who did it in the sixties.

edited for clarity

--------------------
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK" and other lingo mean?

And we'll collect the moments one by one I guess that's how the future's done. -Feist

Posts: 1641 | From: Kansas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?
Carol of the Dells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Could he be thinking of NHRA, not NASCAR?

--------------------
"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, EVIL stuff... and I want in."- Homer Simpson

Posts: 2161 | From: Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Biker
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Biker   E-mail Biker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nocturnal Goddess: In The Backseat:
Could he be thinking of NHRA, not NASCAR?

It is NASCAR.

--------------------
Everyday is a good day to ride.

Posts: 18 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know someone who rented a Corvette and swapped the tires (new set of four tires for a late model Corvette runs in the $2000 range, at least, from the Chevy dealer).

Robbie -hmmm...I wonder if...- V

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages