snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Automobiles » Nation's Worst Drivers: are they your neighbors? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Nation's Worst Drivers: are they your neighbors?
2ys4u
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2ys4u     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Your score was: 80%

--------------------
"Guns and butter."

Posts: 966 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lonely Mountain
Jingle All the Layaway

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lonely Mountain   E-mail Lonely Mountain   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got 90%. I got the slick road one wrong (I still think that's an urban myth) and the one about crosswalks because I thought it was confusing. What the heck is an "unmarked crosswalk"? If it's not marked, how do you know what's a crosswalk and where the stupid thing is?

Also, the reason you turn your headlights on in dust, smoke, or fog is not to improve your visibility but to make your car more visible to others.

One more thing, Pennsylvania should have been lower on the list. I'm probably biased because I have to deal with them everyday [Big Grin]

ETA: fixed my wretched spelling

--------------------
"Tis too much proved that with devotion's visage and pious action we do sugar o'er the devil himself." - Hamlet

Posts: 344 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mycroft
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mycroft   E-mail Mycroft   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lonely Mountain:
I got 90%. I got the slick road one wrong (I still think that's an urban myth) and the one about crosswalks because I thought it was confusing. What the heck is an "unmarked crosswalk"?

During a prolonged dry spell rubber and oil build up on the road surface. When it next rains this layer is dislodged and forms a slippery surface. Subsequent rainfall will wash this away.

I assume that in the question "unmarked crosswalk" means everywhere except a marked crosswalk; as pedestrians have right of way on almost all roads (in UK except motorways - I presume US highways have similar restrictions as to who can use them)

Posts: 135 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kaki0401
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kaki0401     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dead Duck:
The only reason I think I am a safe driver is because I am on my motorcycle. Can't follow to close, can't cut people off, can't drive aggressively and most importantly you always assume the other guy is going to do the most boneheaded thing possible.

I most definetly agree with you on this stuff. I've resorted to only driving my car since moving home (I won't dare ride a bike in LA). But I guess no matter where you are defensive driving on a bike is always the best way to go.

Kaki ~ I really miss my Intruder ~ 0401

Posts: 26 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
spe934
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spe934   E-mail spe934   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got a 95%. The unmarked crosswalk is the only question I got wrong.

--------------------
Marriage is a relationship in which one person is always right, and the other is a husband

The main difference between men and women is that women need a reason to have sex, and men just need a place.

Posts: 206 | From: Evansville, Indiana USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jimmy101
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimmy101   E-mail jimmy101   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mycroft:
I assume that in the question "unmarked crosswalk" means everywhere except a marked crosswalk; as pedestrians have right of way on almost all roads (in UK except motorways - I presume US highways have similar restrictions as to who can use them)

Nope. In the states there is a crosswalk at all intersections. Doesn't matter if the crosswalk is marked or not, it still exists. A pedestrian does not have the right-of-way at other places unless there is a marked crosswalk. Crossing at anything but an intersection, or a marked crosswalk, is illegal ("jay walking") and the pedestrian does not have the ROW.

In addition, a pedestrian does not have the ROW at a controlled intersection. They must obey the traffic signals just like vehicles.

Posts: 629 | From: Greenwood, IN | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PrincessLeia
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PrincessLeia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Starla:
80% I missed the lights in dust/smoke one for the same reasons others have stated. I also missed the one about which way to turn the wheel on a hill. Last week Mr S parked on a hill going up and he turned the wheel to the curb. I asked him about it, saying I thought it was supposed to be turned out toward the road. He said no, if you did that then your car would go into the road if it started to roll and that would be unsafe to other drivers. It made sense, but it bothered me that I'd thought it was the other way for so long.

So when I took the test I answered Mr S's way, and I got it wrong! So I guess I was right before, but it would make ones car go into the road. Why is that the right way?

When I was taking driving lessons, I was taught the acronyn LUC - Left Uphill with a Curb. Assuming you are parking on the right hand side of the road, you will turn the wheel to the right unless you are facing uphill with a curb. If you are parking on the left hand side, reverse the directions.

I work it through as follows:

If you are facing downhill with a curb or without, turning the wheel to the right will cause your car to hit the curb or go further onto the shoulder instead of on to the road should the car begin to roll.

If you are facing uphill with no curb, turning the wheel to the right will cause your car to go onto the shoulder as well if it rolls downhill.

If you are facing uphill with a curb, you must turn the wheel to the left. That way if the car begins to roll downhill, the back of the front wheels will hit the curb before the car can roll into the road.

Posts: 185 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ophiuchus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ophiuchus   E-mail Ophiuchus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got an 85% and I am not the greatest driver in the world....
Well, I am an okay driver and a lousy parker.

Posts: 411 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DrMerkwuerdig
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrMerkwuerdig   E-mail DrMerkwuerdig   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got 90% on the US one and 54% on the UK one. But then, the UK test had a lot of British-specific questions and I was confused by the wrong-side-of-the-road problem. Oh, and - What kind of vehicle would use a flashing green light? I chose "breakdown vehicle", but that was just a guess.

--------------------
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

Posts: 91 | From: Vienna, Austria | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ophiuchus:
I got an 85% and I am not the greatest driver in the world....
Well, I am an okay driver and a lousy parker.

Without wanting to in any way judge your or any other's driving, there is only a correlation between "being good at the theory of driving and the rules" and "being a good driver". The things are not the same. While someone who doesn't know the rules and doesn't understand the physics will generally be a lousy driver, understanding it will not make you a good one.

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Misty

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Misty   Author's Homepage   E-mail Misty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got an 80%. Guess my license is safe for now..

--------------------
Misty Renee

Posts: 3 | From: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ceiling Fan

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ceiling Fan     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I got 85 %, and I'm not even American...

--------------------
~Why Dance to Someone Else's Tune?~

Posts: 15 | From: Oulu, Finland | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mommyrex
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mommyrex     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
95%.

I try to be a safe driver. I've had plenty of conversations with "good drivers" who think being a good driver has to do with skill at speed, not safe driving practices. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
We also ask that you follow the guidelines above and try not to over-think these guidelines.
- the transportation safety administration's permitted and prohibited items air travel list

Posts: 240 | From: Kansas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ladyknight
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladyknight     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got a 90%. I got the highbeams question wrong, and one other...don't remember which one. I would have gotten another wrong, but I read this thread before I took the test, so I got the answer off the thread.

--------------------
Triumphs cannot be given. They must be taken, and the worse the odds, and the fiercer the resistance, the greater the honor. -- A Civil Campaign, Lois McMaster Bujold

Posts: 638 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zamboni_Rodeo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zamboni_Rodeo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
95% here as well.

A friend of mine once said that when it comes to driving, NC is "Instant Idiots: Just Add Water!!!" He's absolutely right. It seems that rain and snow bring out the worst in people around these parts. Whenever precipitation starts to fall from the sky, the first thing everyone wants to do is get out and drive in it. To make matters worse, they all fall into either one of two catogories: those that slow way, wa-aa-ay down because, you know, it's wet out there; and those that speed up and drive like lunatics just to show what good drivers they are in the weather(this lot tend to drive huge luxury SUVs--remember, folks, that all-wheel drive means you don't have to maintain an adequate space cushion!). In Raleigh no one uses a turn signal or bothers to stop for a red light, in Asheville no one uses their brakes, and on I-40 no one will let you in if you signal when you want to merge.

And they said we were so courteous down South.

Zamboni "I was born and raised here, I can bitch if I want" Rodeo

--------------------
Where's the challenge in wassailing at Christmas? The place is lousy with wassail!

Posts: 232 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages