snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Automobiles » Nation's Worst Drivers: are they your neighbors? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Nation's Worst Drivers: are they your neighbors?
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got 100 and in thirty-odd years of driving have received only one ticket, so I suppose the test is right.

Got the ticket because an officer said I had not come to "a full and complete stop" at a stop sign before entering a highway, but had merely slowed down to 1 mph. Macheath, my son, at that time a teenager, was in the car with me. I said, "I thought I had stopped completely. Son, didn't I stop completely?"

"Actually, Dad, you almost stopped but didn't quite," he said.

I said to the officer, "This is my son. He'll be walking back home from Chattanooga."

She laughed at that but gave me the ticket anyway, and when I thanked her, she laughed again.

Brad "be polite to women who pack heat" from Georgia

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Megan'sMom
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Megan'sMom   E-mail Megan'sMom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got 90% and was totally unsurprised to find Washington DC and Massachusetts at the bottom of the list. The two cities with the worst drivers/worst traffic that I've driven in have been DC and Boston.

--------------------
Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of --
but do it in private, and wash your hands afterwards.

- Lazarus Long

Posts: 300 | From: Waldorf, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ieuan ab Arthur
The First USA Noel

Icon 02 posted      Profile for Ieuan ab Arthur     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi All:

Canada's Worst Drivers

Ta ra 'wan,

Ieuan "I'd rather walk" ab Arthur

--------------------
"I e-mail or I don't e-mail. The magic just happens" - From OP in We've Got Mail

Y Gwir Yn Erbyn Y Byd

Posts: 626 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
100% here (gloat!)

A few I wasn't sure of, but most seemed to be gimme's.

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy   E-mail Squishy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
9/10 for the Canadian quiz. Mudflaps are required by law?!?

--------------------
Respect the Tool.

Posts: 16 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
onein6billion
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onein6billion   E-mail onein6billion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
8/10 on the Canadian quiz, 80% on the American one. I got confused by the metric system.

--------------------
Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
"Divorce is not caused because 50% of marriages end in gayness." - Jon Stewart
my space on myspace--now showing "80's Video Of The Week"

Posts: 278 | From: Bel Air, MD | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PrincessLeia
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PrincessLeia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
95% - How can you pull off the pavement when the pavement doesn't end?
Posts: 185 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for bring this to the top again. Last time it was always to bussy to use.

100% right for me. I found all the questions pertty easy if you use logic and ask what would be the safest.

Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chiefs_lady
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chiefs_lady   E-mail chiefs_lady   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got a 95, and only because I misread one of the answers.

I was surprised to see Missouri as far up as #37 on the list. In my experience of driving across the country, I have seen more bonehead moves by Missouri drivers than anywhere else--like the driver who made a left turn from the far right lane on a divided highway in Denver, right in front of my car. I wasn't surprised to see New Mexico so far down--we have so many Native American drivers and Mexican illegals here who just DON'T KNOW HOW TO DRIVE!!!!

--------------------
The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches, but to reveal to him his own. -Benjamin Disraeli
----------------
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. -my friend Mary Ellen

Posts: 304 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
95% for me on the US test, I got the first one wrong. I only got 6/10 on the Canadian test, though. [Embarrassed]

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
9/10 on the Canadian test. Not being Canadian I think that is pertty good. I missed the distance to park from railroad crossing. I knew it had to be 10 or 15 meters and I gessed wrong.
Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Honey Bunching Oats

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Honey Bunching Oats   E-mail Honey Bunching Oats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Aced It!

And I ride my bicycle to work.

California drivers aren't that stupid they're just too selfish or lazy. "I don't need to use my turn signals. I'd have to put down my cellphone or latte." Or maybe they don't want to give away their intention. Someone might cut them off if they know what they're doing.

On my ride into work today I saw one car swerve right as if she was trying to get around the car in front of her because she wasn't going fast enough.

Sorry for those outside of the US there is no international standard for traffic signs. At least the US tries to avoid international standards. Look how the metric system took hold over here.

Honey Bun "Boy" Ching oats

--------------------
"When we talk about democracy, if the people's stomach is empty, democracy is also empty. Democracy cannot be installed by fiat; it must be achieved by the people themselves." Y.C. James Yen (1893-1990)

Posts: 146 | From: San Jose, California | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rogue

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rogue   E-mail rogue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, I got a 90%.

Missed the dust question, thought headlights would reflect and lower my visibility

Missed the pedestrian question. Isn't pedestrian R-o-W a local/state issue???

RICHARD W--You are correct, it does tell you the correct answers at the end...

--------------------
"'Cause you might enjoy some madness for awile."

Posts: 119 | From: Norman, OK | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rogue:
OK, I got a 90%.

Yes. Apparently (from what I've read) in some states pedestrians have the right of way anywhere and in some they don't.

In TN, pedestrians only have the right of way in a crosswalk.

Cite:

TN Code 55-8-134. Pedestrians' right-of-way in crosswalks.

Edited for brevity, but the code clearly states "in a crosswalk"

and 55-8-135 states:

(a) Every pedestrian crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Toys for big boys.
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toys for big boys.     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
65%. Not too shabby.

--------------------
I am not taking lectures on physics from a man in tights.

Posts: 236 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pondicherry Pi
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pondicherry Pi   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pondicherry Pi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rogue:
OK, I got a 90%.

Missed the dust question, thought headlights would reflect and lower my visibility

RICHARD W--You are correct, it does tell you the correct answers at the end...

I missed the dust one too. Thing is, the dust/smoke thing lept out at me on the list.

In all the other situations I would turn my lights on, but I didn't think that was necessarily the brightest idea in a dust or smoke situation.

Which is to say, I think you and I are right. [Wink]

As for the pedestrian issue, I missed that one too. See my location and Robbie's post for further information.

So, technically, I didn't miss that one. Although, since I don't relish the idea of killing people, I tend to give those bull-headed enough to cross outside of a crosswalk right of way.

Aren't I kind?

--------------------
If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

What the NFBSK is Glurge? Or, a link to Snopes Lingo

Posts: 218 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
85%... but I still am frightened by the states list. If Washington is #2 on the SAFEST I sure as NFBSK will never drive in the worst ones, it's scary enough here!

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
80%, and most of it does not even apply to Swediish conditions...

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms Congeniality
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms Congeniality   E-mail Ms Congeniality   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
80%

I also missed the dust question. I"m surprised Florida isn't lower on the list. But we do win the award for the rudest drivers in the US.

--------------------
Queen of Confusion

Posts: 311 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
65%. Not bad, considering most of it was guesswork.

I got 100% on the theory test in my own country though, UK snopesters will be glad to hear [Big Grin]

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dactingyl
Anchovy of a 1000 Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dactingyl   E-mail Dactingyl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Your score was: 85%
I got 30/35 on the UK one, which was the minimum for passing (back in the days when it was REALLY easy but you had to wait two weeks for your results).

quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
quote:
The lane closed sign is different here, and I got the pedestrian right of way wrong too.
Yes, those were two of the ones I got wrong too. The other was the first question about where you should park.
Erm..actually it's the same.

-

Admittedly we also have the blue signs with the red 'T' shaped thing on it.

What I find funny is that it asks you what colour a warning sign is five questions after showing you one, so even though ours are completely different it wasn't a difficult one to answer!

Our our white with a red border in either a circular or a triangular shape.

Triangles are warnings of what is to come
An 'O' is an order of what must be done.

ETA: The British one is here.

I got 71% and would actually have failed...whoops!

British Theory Test

--------------------
Dactingyl is meant to sound a bit like Christingle.

It's not very good but I couldn't think of anything else.

Sorry.

Posts: 257 | From: Hants, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wee wifey
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wee wifey   E-mail wee wifey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dactyl:
quote:
Your score was: 85%
I got 30/35 on the UK one, which was the minimum for passing (back in the days when it was REALLY easy but you had to wait two weeks for your results).

some of us have never taken a theory test in our lives, merely asked some pointless questions post test by a man desperate to get out of the car and have a fag to calm his nerves.

however on the American one there, I got 70%, which I was quite impressed by!

--------------------
once known as little miss

"I don't Pretend to be an ordinary Housewife" Elizabeth Taylor

Posts: 2416 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dlloyd
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dlloyd     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got 70% for the American one, not bad considering I've never been there.

I got 71% for the UK one, which is pretty bad. I got 100% when I had to take it for real.

Posts: 99 | From: Dundee | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Zebra crossings I get, I think.

But puffin and toucan?

Fascinating.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Scout
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got 70% for the american one, and 75% for the uk one, which is rubbish!! I got 33/35 when I had to take it for real back in 1997.

I can't really see why "what age will your car insurance get significantly cheaper?" is a relevant question to have on the theory test. I got it right, but I can't see what whether you have a feel for how expensive insurance is has to do with whether you're safe to drive a car.

Scout.

--------------------
"Abandon shop. This is not a daffodil, repeat, this is not a daffodil!"

Posts: 661 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
15 of 35 on the UK one (I'm with AnglRdr: what's a toucan?), but I scored 100% on the US one.

21 years licensed (22 in August), no tickets, no at-fault accidents. I even got out of bed last night to move my car for street cleaning this morning!

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dactingyl
Anchovy of a 1000 Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dactingyl   E-mail Dactingyl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Taken from here

Pelican Crossings

(PEdestrian LIght CONtrolled Crossings): At this type of crossing a person waiting to cross a road presses the push-button on a control box mounted on a traffic signal post. This activates the traffic light and briefly interrupts the vehicle flow long enough to let pedestrian(s) cross in safety.

Puffin Crossings

(Pedestrian User Friendly INtelligent Crossings): This new type of crossing is to replace the Pelican Crossing. A Puffin Crossing differs from a Pelican Crossing in that there is no flashing 'green man' period for pedestrians or flashing amber period for motorists. Instead detectors are used to:

* determine that there is still a pedestrian waiting to cross; and
* extend the 'green man' time while a pedestrian is on the actual crossing.

Toucan Crossings

(TWO CAN Crossings):
Another new type of crossing, the Toucan, operates in exactly the same way as the Puffin Crossing except that it is (usually) wider and is shared by both cyclists and pedestrians.

Zebra Crossings

These crossings do not have a pedestrian controlled facility, as in other types of crossings (Pelican, Puffin & Toucan Crossings).

ETA: The site doesn't mention Pegasus crossings but basically these are Toucan crossings with extra space for horses. Taken from here.

--------------------
Dactingyl is meant to sound a bit like Christingle.

It's not very good but I couldn't think of anything else.

Sorry.

Posts: 257 | From: Hants, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LikeHeyScoob
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LikeHeyScoob   E-mail LikeHeyScoob   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
National Drivers Test - Results
Your score was: 95%
A score of 70% or better is considered passing on a state written drivers test. The correct answers are highlighted below.

Yes! And me from Rhode Island, #51 out of 51.

That orange triangle question was the only one I got wrong.

LikeHey"It's the Ocean State, not the Highway State!"Scoob

--------------------
Support you local community newspaper! CNN.com probably won't be covering your child's spelling bee.

Posts: 609 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
95% here. Missed the one about when you should turn your wheels when parked.

And someone spent too much time thinking up those crossing system names. [Smile]

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rebochan the Retail Reindeer
Good King Wal-Mart

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rebochan the Retail Reindeer   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
60. Ouch. And to think I aced my driver's tests. Guess I'll brush up on it.

--------------------
"One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes

"Vote Republican! We won't burn you at the stake for your religious beliefs or slaughter your family and steal your land." -- Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 3555 | From: Florida | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Towknie
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Towknie   E-mail Towknie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
95% Yep.. I still got it.

--------------------
Towknie: Ryda-certified as wonderful, enlighted, and rational.

Posts: 1011 | From: Frisco, TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
80% I missed the lights in dust/smoke one for the same reasons others have stated. I also missed the one about which way to turn the wheel on a hill. Last week Mr S parked on a hill going up and he turned the wheel to the curb. I asked him about it, saying I thought it was supposed to be turned out toward the road. He said no, if you did that then your car would go into the road if it started to roll and that would be unsafe to other drivers. It made sense, but it bothered me that I'd thought it was the other way for so long.

So when I took the test I answered Mr S's way, and I got it wrong! So I guess I was right before, but it would make ones car go into the road. Why is that the right way?

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gavida
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gavida   E-mail Gavida   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A score of 70% or better is considered passing on a state written drivers test.
Your score was: 90%

Not bad for a german who has never driven a car in the USA, huh?

I got answer #3 (when to use the high beam headlights) and #14 (slow moving vehicles) wrong.

I wonder if I should apply for a driver's license in the States [Wink]

Gavida

--------------------
"He looked bigger when I couldn't see him" - Jayne Cobb

Posts: 359 | From: Essen, NRW, Germany | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dactyl:
quote:
The lane closed sign is different here, and I got the pedestrian right of way wrong too.
Erm..actually it's the same.
Doesn't that sign in the UK mean "road narrows on the right" (Higway Code page)? And it's a permanent warning. The "lane closed" sign has separate lines for each lane, with a red "T" cutting off the one that's closed (here) and it's a temporary sign.
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brrrtje

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brrrtje   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
65%. Not bad, given the fact that I don't even have a driver's license, and have never visited the US>
Posts: 142 | From: Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages