snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Automobiles » Nation's Worst Drivers: are they your neighbors? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Nation's Worst Drivers: are they your neighbors?
Daniceguy
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 606 posted      Profile for Daniceguy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As reported on CNN.com , a national driving test by GMAC insurance has shown that 1 out of 11 drivers nationwide would not pass a state driver's exam.

The worst drivers (according to the test) are clustered in the northeast, while the best are in the northwest. State-by-state rankings are listed here .

If you're interested, you can take the test here .

Poysonally, I don't know what they're talking about. I live in Massachusetts and I scored an 85 (70 is passing)! Could I be the best driver in Massachusetts? Of course I could - just ask me! [Wink]

--------------------
"Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes!"

"No it isn't."

Posts: 171 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Veronika
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Veronika   Author's Homepage   E-mail Veronika   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank god they can't TAKE your license for failing that test!

I wish they told you which ones you got wrong.

Posts: 1 | From: Clifton Heights, PA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NaNa

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NaNa     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yikes!! I got a 65. I always thought I was a really good driver.

--------------------
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" -Gandhi

Posts: 48 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Thank you for taking the GMAC Insurance National Drivers Test. A score of 70% or better is considered passing on a state written drivers test. Based on your answers, you have the following score: 100.0"

Seaboe, who was a little surprised to see Washington as #2 on that list.

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glisp42
I'm Dreaming Of A White iPod

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glisp42   Author's Homepage   E-mail glisp42   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
gloat mode ON

Woo Hoo! I got a perfect 100!

/gloat mode

--------------------
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK" and other lingo mean?

And we'll collect the moments one by one I guess that's how the future's done. -Feist

Posts: 1641 | From: Kansas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HotBlondeMom:
Yikes!! I got a 65. I always thought I was a really good driver.

Most people think they're really good drivers.

Personally, I think I'm an adequate driver. [Big Grin]

Seaboe

ETA: this test does not measure your driving skill, it measures your knowledge of the rules of the road.

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JOJO

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JOJO     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you for taking the GMAC Insurance National Drivers Test. A score of 70% or better is considered passing on a state written drivers test. Based on your answers, you have the following score: 80.0

...I don't have a full license yet.

Posts: 129 | From: uOttawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RichardM

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RichardM   Author's Homepage   E-mail RichardM   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I only got a 95. I wish they told you which one(s) you got wrong.

And I am a better driver than most. I have the trophies on the mantle to prove it. :-)

Posts: 129 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Agreed. I'm not a particurly good driver, but I am a safe and careful driver.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dead Duck

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dead Duck     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Thank you for taking the GMAC Insurance National Drivers Test. A score of 70% or better is considered passing on a state written drivers test. Based on your answers, you have the following score: 95.0
The only reason I think I am a safe driver is because I am on my motorcycle. Can't follow to close, can't cut people off, can't drive aggressively and most importantly you always assume the other guy is going to do the most boneheaded thing possible.

--------------------
Never waste a good panic.

Posts: 160 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dog Friendly
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dog Friendly   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dog Friendly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
95 here. I had to guess on the one about the orange triangle, and picked "slow-moving vehicle". I wish they'd tell you which one you missed, but I'm guessing that was it.

Dog (Good Driver Discount) Friendly

--------------------
"Nobody ever got stoned and beat up his old lady" -- Spence, snapdragonfly's friend

Posts: 768 | From: North Hollywood, CA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dog Friendly
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dog Friendly   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dog Friendly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, Duck, assuming the other guy is going to do the most boneheaded thing possible is pretty good advice in any set of circumstances.

There's no such thing as a foolproof plan, because you can always find a bigger fool.

Dog (IMHO) Friendly

--------------------
"Nobody ever got stoned and beat up his old lady" -- Spence, snapdragonfly's friend

Posts: 768 | From: North Hollywood, CA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
shedenjo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shedenjo   E-mail shedenjo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got a 100 also. Dog Friendly, that was my answer on that one too, so you must have got it right. I do have to admit that I've taken defensive driving more than once for speeding tickets, so that probably helped.
Posts: 24 | From: Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dfresh
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dfresh   E-mail dfresh   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dog Friendly:
95 here. I had to guess on the one about the orange triangle, and picked "slow-moving vehicle". I wish they'd tell you which one you missed, but I'm guessing that was it.

I picked the same answer, and got 100%, so you guessed correctly...but guessed incorrectly about which one you got wrong.

Now I just have to print out the results for the next time the police stop me. See officer, I couldn't have been doing anything wrong, I got 100!

ETA: and spanked.

Posts: 420 | From: Oxford, PA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
animal73
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for animal73   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I also got 100, you may have missed the one about when the roads are the slickest?

--------------------
Never take a sleeping pill and a laxative the same night.

Canton Maddogs Rugby

Posts: 440 | From: Canton, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JetEd73
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JetEd73   E-mail JetEd73   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
90%

I think part of the problem is that some people simply "go for a ride" when they should be driving.

example=people going slow in the left hand lane oblivious to the faster cars behind them.

--------------------
America=Land of the perpetually offended!

Posts: 223 | From: Cleveland, TN | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DonSample

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonSample   E-mail DonSample   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Nope. That wasn't the one you got wrong.

--------------------
Signature? I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Posts: 41 | From: Ottawa, Ontario | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DonSample

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonSample   E-mail DonSample   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, there is probably a poor correlation between how well you scored on that test, and how good a driver you really are. You can know all the rules of the road, and still tailgate, speed, be unable to parallel park, talk on your cell phone while eating lunch at 70mph, etc.

--------------------
Signature? I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Posts: 41 | From: Ottawa, Ontario | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Also, it's possible to have excellent reflexes and ability to control the vehicle, but still be a bad driver because you don't always wear your seatbelt, drive too fast, drive after a few beers, take stupid risks, etc. (Yes, ex, I am looking at you).

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Niner
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Niner     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
ETA: Replied to what was in my head, not in the post [fish]
Posts: 441 | From: Between Flint and Lansing, MI | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dog Friendly
Carol of the Bills

Ahh. Bet it was the slick roads. I thought sure it was when it starts to rain after a dry spell, figuring there'd be dust and suchlike on the road that would turn slick before it washed away. Did y'all who got 100 say "Heavy Rain" for that one?

Dog "But 95 ain't bad..." Friendly

--------------------

Nappy Solo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nappy Solo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
95, not sure what I missed - either the rain or maybe something about where you look when somebody has on their high beams. I may have missed one, but the dumb ass who wrote the test should check their spelling. Anyone else see "break" when they should have used "brake"?

--------------------
Virtue is its own reward. But, then again, so is vice....

Posts: 167 | From: Lincoln, NE | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

quote:
Ahh. Bet it was the slick roads. I thought sure it was when it starts to rain after a dry spell,

That's correct, too, DF. Try again? [Big Grin]

Seaboe

--------------------

Seaboe Muffinchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Nappy Solo:
...where you look when somebody has on their high beams.

You look at the white line toward the right. If that's what you said, you got it right.

Seaboe

--------------------

Dog Friendly
Carol of the Bills

I looked toward the right. Guess I got that one right, too.

OK, how about my high beams? I should use them as little as possible, right? Because I don't want to dazzle anybody else?

Dog (After this, I give up) Friendly

--------------------

Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chloe:
Also, it's possible to have excellent reflexes and ability to control the vehicle, but still be a bad driver because you don't always wear your seatbelt, drive too fast, drive after a few beers, take stupid risks, etc. (Yes, ex, I am looking at you).

Hey, I always wear my seatbelt!

We have this annoying habit in this country of giving a person a written test on a few road signs and practices, declare them a 'good driver', and give them a license. Very few people get any driver's training other than basic operation of the vehicle. IMHO, demonstrating a basic knowledge of emergency handling and skid recovery should be manditory to getting a license. Driver's ed should have at least a day on a wet skidpad.

There was a video on CNN yesterday (and hosted on www.wilx.com) of an SUV rolling over. Classic example of how to overcorrect and lose control.

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

quote:
OK, how about my high beams? I should use them as little as possible, right? Because I don't want to dazzle anybody else?

Nope, you should use them whenever it is legal and safe. The desire not to dazzle is covered by the "safe" aspect of the answer.

Seaboe

ETA: and if you use them as little as possible, you may not be able to see as far as you can.

--------------------

Dog Friendly
Carol of the Bills

Thank you Seaboe. That's a load off my mind, I can now sleep tonight. Much obliged.

Dog Friendly

ETA: "a"

--------------------

DaphHime

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaphHime   E-mail DaphHime   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow I got an 80%. Not bad for someone whose never driven in her life. [Razz]

Though most of these were common sense anyway.

--------------------
"I was in one of those rare states where you curse someone else's misfortune."-Rikudo Koshi

Posts: 125 | From: Villa Park, IL | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
emperor_genghis_khan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emperor_genghis_khan   E-mail emperor_genghis_khan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you for your interest in the GMAC Insurance National Drivers Test. Due to an overwhelming response of drivers wanting to take the test, we are unable to accommodate you at this time. You will find the questions and answer key, or you are welcome to try to take the test again later, at gmacinsurance.com. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience. We wish you safe travels this holiday weekend!

Oh well guess i will try later

--------------------
Excuses satisfy only those who offer them. Your enemies won't believe them and your friends don't need them.

Posts: 211 | From: Ponce, Puerto Rico | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy   E-mail Squishy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry for digging this up after half a month, but I haven't been able to check these boards for a while. The "Right lane ends" sign is kind of confusing me...is that how the sign looks like in the States? Over here in Ontario, that sign means the right lane will be narrower in about 100 ft; the best example I can think of is on the elevated Gardiner Expressway, where the right lane is twice as wide for snow removal purposes - it narrows in some areas and that sign is used. Our "Right lane ends" sign has dotted lines:
 -

ETA: That was the only question I missed

--------------------
Respect the Tool.

Posts: 16 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got 75% and my entire experience of US roads comes from films.

I took account of you lot all driving on the wrong side of the road too [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It does tell you which you got wrong, doesn't it? At least, it tells you the correct answers and so if you can remember how you answered you can tell which you got right.

I got 85% just by applying "common sense" - I'm a terrible driver and don't even drive in this country!

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
85% too. Considering some signs are different here, I thought I did OK, and it was easy to check the ones I got wrong as they put the correct answers on your result sheet. Click back on your browser button if you can't remember the answer you gave!
The lane closed sign is different here, and I got the pedestrian right of way wrong too.
I didn't know that passenger buses had to stop at all railroad crossings.
Guess that's one job I won't be doing anytime soon.

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The lane closed sign is different here, and I got the pedestrian right of way wrong too.
Yes, those were two of the ones I got wrong too. The other was the first question about where you should park.
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages