snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Automobiles » California Man Caught in 'HOV' Lane with Dummy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: California Man Caught in 'HOV' Lane with Dummy
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 213 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The California Highway Patrol gave Kevin Morgan, 28, of Petaluma, a $351 citation for driving in a high occupancy vehicle or "HOV" lane with a kickboxing dummy propped in the passenger seat.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20051104/D8DLD00GJ.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deansinger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deansinger   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Whew, fortunately they never caught me driving in the HOV lane with my old roommate.. oh, wait, you meant like a mannequin type dummy.. ohhhh.

--------------------
It doesn't matter if you're wrong.. Be Wrong Loud!

Posts: 398 | From: Fallon, NV | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd thought about doing that before, but never seriously enough as to ever really consider doing it. I've never seen a CHP officer in this area being so thorough as the one in this article--it says he was standing in his door railing and looking down into passing cars. Around here, I usually just see an officer on a motorcycle or in a car cruising along in the carpool lane, and at 65+ mph I always thought a dummy might be enough to get you by in a passing glance.
Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Still, it has GOT to be safer than paying a bum the $2 to sit in the passanger side seat. [Big Grin]

SW

--------------------
Peter: You better watch who you're calling a child Lois, because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedophile, and I'll be damned if I'm going to stand here and be lectured by a pervert

Posts: 354 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Slrman
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My first thought was, "How could they tell?" I thought all those California dummies looked alike.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is news? They have been doing that for years in the DC area. It has become so bad the police will sometimes stop EVERYONE and ID each passenger.

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wintermute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wintermute     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How funny. I always thought this was more of a urban legend then anything. retired CHP officers had told me this story many times of pulling a person over for another violation and finding a dummy in the car. I always assumed it was more a joke then based in any reality.
Posts: 4580 | From: Walnut Creek, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It does sound pretty urban legend like, although sometimes life imitates art. I recall an old and over used joke about comedians getting pulled and saying "check the trunk". Sadly our city doesn't have such lanes or I would've tried the stunt when I was allowed to take the hearse out for a spin (I worked a haunted attraction and did some advertising stunts so its not as sick as it sounds).

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug4.7:
This is news? They have been doing that for years in the DC area. It has become so bad the police will sometimes stop EVERYONE and ID each passenger.

Why do they have to ID the passenger once they determine that it's a person and not a dummy?
Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MapMaker
Maximillian Andorra

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MapMaker   Author's Homepage   E-mail MapMaker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess my question is: if cops can set a car up on the side of the road with a dummy in it dressed as a cop, then why can't we use a dummy to ride in the HOV lane?

--------------------
"I'm looking over your shoulder, but only because I've got your back" -Stephen Colbert

Posts: 468 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Class Bravo:
quote:
Originally posted by Doug4.7:

Why do they have to ID the passenger once they determine that it's a person and not a dummy?
Sorry, bad choice of words. They will stop the cars and VERIFY each occupant as human (dogs don't count, yes someone tried that one too). They way they do it is just peek in the car, and in our case, it was obvious there were 5 occupants in the car (kids DO count), so we didn’t even have to stop (it was a slow roll). Now I have not been there when the actually had someone with a dummy, but I remember reading stories about it in the DC papers. BTW, this was on I-66 into/out of DC.

Yes it is a funny visual of an officer demanding ID from a blowup doll. "Ma'am, please close your mouth and hand me you ID..." [lol]

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Geeto67
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geeto67   E-mail Geeto67   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not a lot of people in NY do it, and the cops are vicious about it.

I got popped twice in the HOV lane. Once because my grilfriend wasn't feeling well and decided to lie down in the backseat of my car (should have known better).

The second time I was kinda asking for it. A buddy of mine and I were heading home after a bachleor party (we slept at a friends house). He was pretty hung over and wanted to sleep in the back. Having learned from the previous expirence I threwa blow up doll (gag gift at the party) in the front seat with a hat and coat and proceeed to drive the HOV lane which was the only open lane on an otherwise traffic chocked morning. Cop saw us, pulled us over, and had a big laugh at the whole thing. Then he gave me a drunk test (bastard, but my friend did reek of alcohol). No DWI, no ticket, but I have come to realize that HOV lanes are basically giat speed traps, They isolate cars from the rest fo trafic and give the officers a nice clear view to hit you with the radar gun. YOu are better off in regular traffic.

Posts: 163 | From: NYC | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I recall a case from just after I joined here, where a pregnant woman made the claim that the TWO of them could ride in the HOV lane. I don't recall how it turned out.

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember hearing about a guy who threw a cap on a football. I was intercepted and a penalty was awarded.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NickFun

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NickFun   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got the same ticket for traveling with my ex-wife!

--------------------
"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family." —George W. Bush, Greater Nashua, N.H., Jan. 27, 2000

Posts: 102 | From: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
maybe they were on a date?

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mau
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mau   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mau   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Even worse was the woman who was pulled over in the HOV lane and claimed that there were two people in the car - her unborn child counts, too, you know! [^^]

*goes to try to find that*

Posts: 37 | From: WA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mau

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mau   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mau   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
(last post wasn't showing up yet, so..)

Mom-To-Be Calls Unborn A Passenger

Posts: 37 | From: WA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alkatr0z

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alkatr0z   E-mail Alkatr0z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Funny to see all those people on that link stressin bout that pregnant lady figuring a loophole in the law. Personally I say "Good on her", considering all the debate over abortion & stem cell research you could certainly argue that a foetus becomes a person the moment the cells start dividin so you are with someone [Smile]

As a note: no carpool lanes here so I'm mystified why the carpool lane is 75mph and the rest are 40mph, why not have them all at the same speed? Generally reduced speed is because of being in built up areas so traffic lights & pedestrians but it seems to ruin the point of it if some people are still travelling at 75mph...
That's like 120km/h, 10 km/h over the speed limit on the freeway here.

Posts: 116 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually I think this 40/75 comparison was down to the fact that the non-carpool lanes are jammed at rush hour, thus you cannot go faster than 40 on average, while you have a mostly free lane with only legal limitations to the speed you go.

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alkatr0z:
As a note: no carpool lanes here so I'm mystified why the carpool lane is 75mph and the rest are 40mph, why not have them all at the same speed? Generally reduced speed is because of being in built up areas so traffic lights & pedestrians but it seems to ruin the point of it if some people are still travelling at 75mph...
That's like 120km/h, 10 km/h over the speed limit on the freeway here.

The limit is the same in both lanes. The lack of traffic in the HOV lane makes it easier to drive speed and easier to get caught.

That doesn't make it a speed trap, IMO. A speed trap is an area where the speed limit is suddenly, and for no good reason, reduced, for the specific purpose of generating ticket revenue. The most famous speed trap in America used to be just outside of Columbus -- New Rome, Ohio.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mau

Here, the speed limit is 55 in the normal lanes, 65 in HOV.
Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
The most famous speed trap in America used to be just outside of Columbus -- New Rome, Ohio.

Hmmmm... wasn't a "neutral POV" one of the principles od Wikipedia?

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages