snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » goodbye, stupid little skin tag thingie

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: goodbye, stupid little skin tag thingie
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A couple years ago I noticed a little bit of skin, a small growth like a tiny mole, on the inside corner of my eye.

It hadn't gotten much bigger but it hadn't gone away either and just annoyed the CRAP out of me: looked like I had some sleep in the corner of my eye and just was totally annoying. Every time I rubbed my eye it rubbed on it and was like rubbing a mole, which just grossed me out. From five feet away you'd never see it but it just BUGGED me.

I got it stzitzed off today. It didn't even take 15 minutes, ten of which was waiting for it to numb. The doctor showed me the little bottle it was in (to be sent to pathology) and joked with me, asking if I wanted to say goodbye to it! Ew! and hah! Goodbye, stupid annoying unneccesary bit of skin! She said it was "viral in nature" which I think means it was some sort of a wart. eew!!

Has anyone else ever had wierd little skin tags in annoying places and did you get rid of it or just put up with it and do they ever go away on their own?

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
noftessa
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for noftessa   E-mail noftessa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had something like that on my lower eyelid. It never blocked my vision or anything, but whenever I rubbed or itched my eye, there it was.

One day, I woke up and it was just gone. Kinda gross to think that it was probably somewhere in my bed, or worse, that I had accidentally swallowed it in my sleep! Ack!

--------------------
Dude, do we want to discuss why I was just hit in the head with a thumb?

Posts: 833 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smackmac
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smackmac     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Probably TMI, but I had one where a woman realllly doesn't want one.

Took 10 minutes in the doctors office for it to be gone.

--------------------
"Maybe getting in the last word doesn't really mean you win." - The Clarks

Posts: 486 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I fell and hit my head, causing a 5 cm gash in the forehead (to the bone) and a piece of skin the size of a pea and the thickness of an eyelid to flap loose at the corner of my eye.

Once I got the bleeding under control, was able to see again (I couldn't see for a few minutes, my vision was blurry for a week or so and it took 4-5 days before I got the feeling back in the right side of my face), I taped the gash in the forehead with the help of a friend, then took the scissors on my Swiss army knife and cut off the skin flap (those never heal back anyway). I probably got a mild concussion as well, as I felt some dizzyness and nausea for a day or so.

Amazingly, the scar in my forehead is almost invisible, although it can be seen above the hair line, but it's still discreet. There is a tiny scar from the skin flap, but it's not very noticeable.

The lesson? If you take an afternoon nap, don't rush out of bed, and if you feel dizzy, sit down and stay down. When I felt the dizzyness pass, I stood up immediately, and blacked out as if someone had flicked a switch. And always keep your Swiss army knife handy!

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Virulaceous
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Virulaceous   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is also probably TMI.

I had one on my nipple for several years. Annoyed the hell out of me. One day though, it disappeared. Don't know what happened to it. I also get them occasionally on my armpit, which makes it hell to shave.

I've never been concerned enough about them to go to the doc to have them removed though.

--------------------
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

Posts: 86 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had skin tags on my arm and chest (between my breasts, big as a third nipple and my bra kept catching it). I froze them with ice and sliced them off with a sterilised scalpel.

I have another couple to remove when they grow bigger, but next time I'll use freeze-spray (to freeze them more and make them easier to cut). Really sharp nail clippers (sterilised) will do the job more safely than a scalpel.

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BluesScale
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BluesScale   E-mail BluesScale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a bunch of them on my inner thigh but I removed them with a sterile scalpel and dressed the area. Healed well.

Hurt quite a bit though.

Blues.

Posts: 207 | From: Woolhampton, Berks, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Toto
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toto   E-mail Toto   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My grandmother had one for the longest time when I was growing up. At first it stayed small and she just ignored it. (As a child or young adult that was the only thing you could see when you talked to her) Then as she got older it started to grow so she had it removed and examined like you would a mole. Nothing there just a skin tag.
My cousin and I do get them from time to time. I'm not sure what she does. But, mine annoy the crap out of me, and are always small enough that I just mess with them enough until they fall off. I know TMI!

Toto

--------------------
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

Posts: 35 | From: Kansas | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Maddie
Rejoice, Rejoice, I've Found the Manuel!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maddie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had one right under my lower lip, so it was in plain sight. Annoying as hell. Mine was also 'viral in nature', which means it was probably from me wiping my mouth with my hand that had three warts on it (which all miraculously fell off after I swam in a lake one day).

Fifteen minutes at the doctor's office [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I'm sorry for your loss. Your mother was a terribly attractive woman." - Royal Tenenbaum

Posts: 44 | From: Harrisburg, PA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr. Cookies had one in the fold of his eyelid. He took it off with a pair of toenail clippers.

My brother had a bunch on his neck, and I suggested the toenail clipper solution, but he had a plastic surgeon take them off - and was charged per mole. After he finished, the doctor said, "You know, you could have taken these off yourself."

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
magpie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie   E-mail magpie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My husband had one for the longest time on the inside of his leg, and I noticed recently he got another one on his other leg in the exact same place where his legs touch when they're together. I wonder if that's a bad thing. I get a few in my armpits from time to time but I think they get shaved off without me noticing.
Posts: 439 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would probably have nipped it off myself with whatever sharp and sterile instrument I had, but being as it was less than a millimeter from my eyeball (pretty much almost still in the moist membrane area of the eyelid) I went ahead and had the doc do it.

It might have fallen off, but after two years, I was tired of waiting for it to do that!

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bethntim
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bethntim         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
TMI but I don't care because it's about my hubby.

He has over 100 on his body, mostly on his armpits, gross, right? Some are teeny tiny and others are enormously gross. He also has various ones around his neck and sides. He's not a mutant I swear. Although that would explain a alot. [Big Grin] I digress, he went to have them taken off but when the receptionist called to verify his insurance benefits, since this was considered a "cosmetic" procedure in the doctor's office, and they said he had no skin tag removals on his policy, if he wanted them removed, he would have to pay on his own. With well over 100 there was no way he could afford it, so here he sits with his armpits all skinny and knobby and gross. I'm glad you had success getting yours froze off, now if only my hubby could do the same.

--------------------
Take only pictures, leave only footprints...

Posts: 255 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been trying not to post very much on the old board so as to help it die a natural death, but this warrants a comment.

My husband had a skin tag on his lower right eyelid, and it took me a long time to get him to see about it. He finally asked our doctor to cut it off for him, and she said she couldn't do that and sent him to another doctor. It turned out to be cancerous. Not melanoma, squamous, but still worse than basal. If left too long, it could have spread into his eye. Another one developed and had to be removed. At his last check, there were no more, so he doesn't have to go back for six months. Our doctor must have realized it was cancerous when she refused to do it, because she has since frozen several tags on his arm and one on his forehead.

So, while most skin tags are probably harmless, please don't get too blasé about them.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delia Darrow
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delia Darrow   E-mail Delia Darrow   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I get them, my DH gets them, in places where there is friction on the skin. I just clip mine of with toenail clippers, no sterile stuff, no freezing. I am talked into removing *one* of DH's tags every six months or so. After getting a sterile scalpel blade and freezing with Ethyl Chloride, I slice it off and he acts like I just hacked his arm off with a chainsaw. I always swear I'm never gonna do it again..

--------------------
Cogito, ergo Dei non est.

Posts: 70 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mrs.hi-c clown fishies
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrs.hi-c clown fishies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yuck...I've noticed a few skin tags on my chest creep up during the pregnancy. They're almost annoying as the little red dots that have appeared as well. They almost look like chicken pox, but they're not--just red freckles.

--------------------
This song has no title...just words and a tune.

Instant Hi-C--Just add water...

Posts: 1620 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dewey
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dewey   E-mail dewey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magpie:
My husband had one for the longest time on the inside of his leg, and I noticed recently he got another one on his other leg in the exact same place where his legs touch when they're together. I wonder if that's a bad thing. I get a few in my armpits from time to time but I think they get shaved off without me noticing.

I have exactly the same situation at your husband. I've had them for years and occasionally they get sore but otherwise they are no problem. I have lots of them and would have to pay to get them removed since it is considered cosmetic surgery.

Many years ago I belonged to an HMO and a doctor just snipped away all the ones on my upper body with scissors. It took no more than 15 minutes. Now they want a surgeon to do it. Ridiculous.

dewey

Posts: 2413 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
surfcitydogdad
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surfcitydogdad     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Egads! Some of you people have brass balls. I cut of a skin tag once, and it bled like crazy. I prefer to err on the side of caution.

I go to my dermatologist for my annual molecheck and skin cancer exam. I already had to have one little spot on my cheek pre-emptively removed. Moles and skin tags merit some medical attention, especially if you are of northern European descent, or have blue eyes, or are blonde, or especially if you have red (ginger)hair and freckles.

It was a far better idea to go to the doctor, 30+ years ago, when I had a couple of annoying moles removed. One was on my neck - a hazard shaving - and the other both a mole and a skin tag, under an arm. I got a little shot of anesthesia to the site, then they were fried with an electric gun of some sort. They fell off in a few days and healed nicley, except that there is no pigment in that spot on my neck. But, who can really tell, since I'm so lily-white, anyway?

--------------------
Only when we remake ourselves can we remake the world.
- Outer Limits (2001)

Posts: 559 | From: Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Birgie
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Birgie   E-mail Birgie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As surfcitydogdad did, I too sliced one off of my neck and it bled profusely!
When I was pregnant I had loads of them all over, I discovered that if you twist them for a few days the blood supply is cut off, they turn black and fall off. I have only tried this with the skin colored ones though.

--------------------
"of all tyrannies, the tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Posts: 49 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mrs.hi-c clown fishies:
Yuck...I've noticed a few skin tags on my chest creep up during the pregnancy. They're almost annoying as the little red dots that have appeared as well. They almost look like chicken pox, but they're not--just red freckles.

What ARE those things anyway? I have one right near my crotch area, and it's annoyed me for years because it's like a bright red freckle. I have no idea what it is!

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages