snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » I need a travel destination...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I need a travel destination...
GoMeZu
A View to a Krill

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GoMeZu     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, so this is my current situation. I really love to travel, but for the last 3 years I was in college year-around and haven't got much further than northern kentucky (covington).

I am now out of college and have a job that gives me the opportunity to travel on two fronts. It pays well and every 5 weeks I get a 5 day weekend without having to use vacation or sick time (so if I do, it just makes for an even longer break).

So here is what I need, good travel destinations within 8 hours of Akron OH(I don't like to drive further than 8 hours in a day). Let me throw a few preferences out there. I like nature and great views. I like a fun drive, hills and the like. I HATE shopping and commercial crap and I have been known to drive 2 1/2 hours for good food (thus the trips to covington for the Behle Street Cafe)

So I need some help, I need somewhere to go.

Thanks in advance.

--------------------
That Damn Cow

Posts: 118 | From: Akron, OH | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just off the top of my head...

Niagara Falls. Go to the Canadian side - it affords a much better view, and is much, much cleaner. Yes, there's lots of touristy/kitchy stuff there, but the falls themselves are spectacular.

Hocking Hills

Mackinac Island. Okay, I've never been there myself, but I've heard great things about it.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hiking and camping in the Great Smoky Mountains (or other places in the Appalachians).

There should be plenty of white water rafting opportunites within your driving range; I've been on the Cheat River in W. Va. and the Youghiogheney in PA, but there are probably dozens of places available.

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
OmegaXL
Let's Go Cleveland Cavaliers!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OmegaXL   E-mail OmegaXL   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cleveland, Ohio is a great place to visit. You can see the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame & Museum, the Great Lakes Science Center, visit the many restaurants & clubs along the Cuyahoga River (The Flats), the "Emerald Necklace"....the system of parks within a city, the Metroparks.

Needless to say, I'm from Cleveland but I now live in Nashville and Nashville is another good destination....especially if you're into country music. Nashville is extremely hilly and usually the winters are a piece of cake (it's in the 50's). Also in TN, definitely visit the Smoky Mountains.....breathtaking!

Pittsburgh is another great place to visit....all of my family originated from there. Great food, especially Primanti Bros. & Fox's Pizza.

Like Nick said, whitewater rafting is a lot of fun. I've rafted the Yough before and it was a blast. Also, go to Seneca Rocks, WV....talk about gorgeous!!

--------------------
Biding time until I move to Alaska

Posts: 2 | From: Hendersonville, TN | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What about Michigan? I know, that sounds a bit scary, but the area around Ann Arbor is lovely. Shoot, you might be able to make the UP in eight hours.

However, I second the smoky mountain area. It is, without a doubt, the most beautiful section of the country I've ever visited. Asheville, NC is a kick-a** little town, and quite near all kinds of spectacular hiking (and it's only 2 min over your 8 hr time frame, according to mapquest).

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dawnda
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dawnda   E-mail dawnda   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe I'm prejudiced because I live here, but western MD, around Hagerstown & Frederick. It has the Appalachian trail (& the only 5 star restaurant I know of with no dress code sits right next to the trail), Antietam Battlefield, is just a few minutes from Harpers Ferry WV & an easy hour or so ride to Baltimore, DC & Lancaster PA, which is a more southern option for New England leaf-peeping in the fall. It is also a little more than an hour from Skyline Drive in VA, & there are caverns & mazes in between. Lots of hills, lots of greenery, scenery & historic houses, & hiking, biking, riverboating, rafting & tubing.

--------------------
Behind every good man there is a good woman and behind that another
man looking at her rear end.

Posts: 35 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For hills, nature, views and a fun drive, I would recommend the Hocking Hills, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, or upstate New York.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hop on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Lots of beautiful scenery, and there are lots of little towns with interesting things and good food along the way.

Asheville is also seconded.

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Keeper of the Mad Bunnies
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keeper of the Mad Bunnies   E-mail Keeper of the Mad Bunnies   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you want some nice scenery AND interesting architecture, check out Fallingwater.
Posts: 588 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Simply Madeline
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Simply Madeline     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Try Saugatuck or New Buffalo in Michigan.
Posts: 763 | From: Chicago | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No, no, Michigan is rather boring. Stay away. I mean, don't bother with Michigan. It's wintertime now anyway. You want to go south, where it's warm.

But if you are fool enough to make it to the UP, make sure you have a pasty. Do not leave without sampling a pasty.

Like there aren't enough durn buckeyes driving on our roads....

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you're into history, New Jersey and Eastern Pennsylvania have a lot of sites relating to the Revolutionary War. Princeton, especially, is quite nice.

I echo what others have said about Pittsburgh and Niagra Falls, as well as Maryland. Hubby and I went to Gettysburg, PA and Harpers Ferry, WV this summer, and it was beautiful there. You could get a book of Civil War battlefields and check a bunch of them out from where you live.

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
black roses 19
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for black roses 19   E-mail black roses 19   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Huntington, IN doesn't have a whole lot to offer, but I'd recommend going if only for The Sunken Gardens and the abundance of really sweet people there.

I also recommend going to Turkey Run State Park.

Both places have spectacular views.

--------------------
"I find them to be in contradiction of the basic principles of YOUR MOM!!!" -We've Got Mail

Posts: 1361 | From: Muncie, IN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GoMeZu
A View to a Krill

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GoMeZu     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tagurit:

[Big Grin]

How unfortunate for you michiganders that I am originally from Toledo, the lovely little piece of property that you thought you all wanted. I know how you people from the mitten drive around there.

These are all excellent suggestions, I've been to a few of these places, but some of the others sound really good. I LOVE a good nature walk.

--------------------
That Damn Cow

Posts: 118 | From: Akron, OH | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just poppin' back in to remind you that you to (re)register for the new message board. See the links in my sig for details.

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tagurit:

[Big Grin]

Well that shouldn't bother you too much, since half of Michigan is in Florida this time of year.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 603 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GoMeZu:
I know how you people from the mitten drive around there.

What, normal? At least the speed limit and in the correct lanes? [Wink]

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages