snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » What did you got for Christmas and your rating for it? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What did you got for Christmas and your rating for it?
Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo
Deck the Malls

Icon 303 posted      Profile for Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I will most likely get chowed for it, but can't find a thread like this around here.
Now, dear snopesters, what did you get for Christmas/Hanukka/Kwanzaa/First Hatching/Generic Holiday? And what is your rating for it (be frank, unless the giftgiver watches over your shoulder).

1. DVD "Pirates of the Caribbean 2":
Haven't watched it yet. N/A

2. 160 gbyte Harddrive
I love it, it was really needed. Rating: 10

3. Mug with "Beatles" on it.
Hmm. Not really a big tea or coffee drinker, but it's still a nice idea: Rating: 7

4. Otterbox for PDA
Perfect size for my LifeDrive and extra Memory Cards, crushresistent, waterproof. I LOVE IT: Rating 10

--------------------
~Reality, the refuge of those who fail in RPGs~
aka Darkfist Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Posts: 334 | From: Lancaster, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
iPod Shuffle - 5/5

Motorola Wireless Bluetooth Headset - 5/5

Lady in the Water DVD - 5/5

Twilight Princess Strategy Guide - 5/5

Now, most of these were bought with money I was given rather than given to me directly. So, the 150 something dollars given to me collectively also gets a 5/5, by proxy.

The only one of those I was given was the bluetooth headset.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Salamander
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Salamander   E-mail Salamander   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Guitar Hero II - 10/10

--------------------
"victory thru self-deception"

Posts: 2211 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Raven Waift
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raven Waift   Author's Homepage   E-mail Raven Waift   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Crayola Cutter- I love this gift! I can't stop playing with it 5/5

Tabletop fountain- It wasn't something I asked for, but my sister surprised me with it. It is really pretty (and my cats have a new waterdish)- 5/5

Massaging chair thingy- the thingy where you sit it on top of the chair. I really love this- and it was a really surprising gift. 4/5

I got a 1G stick of RAM, but I haven't put it in my comp yet. It's a 5/5 if it works. Luckily my mom saved the receipt.

--------------------
Whereas as you are dancing happily in the fields of ignorance through which the stream of stupidity bubbles and flows. -BlushingBride
My my space.

Posts: 656 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
1GB stick of RAM is always awesome. I hope it works. If it doesn't and you want to try another place, go here:
http://www.4allmemory.com/index.cfm?pid=313&kwd=4%20all%20memory

They have a tool that will identify exactly what kind of RAM your computer takes.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gavida
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gavida   E-mail Gavida   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got:

A Set of Saltshaker and Peppermill.
Since I complained to my friends several times this year about not having a good set they gave me a really good set as a gift. 5/5 for that [Smile]

A framed picture of the older daughter of my best friend.
The little one is very dear to me, although I am not blood related to her I am kind of the "uncle".
I complained to my friends about not having a picture of her several times this year as well. 7/5 for that one [Big Grin]
(Now I have to nag because I still have no picture of the youngest, it might work with my birthday being less than a month away, hehe.)

Deadwood Season II from my brother. I already got Season I from him last year and I loved the show. So he was dead on with that one, 5/5

Stargate SG-1 Season 7.... oh wait, that was the joke present my brother made when he returned the box in gift wrapping after I lent it to him last month. [Big Grin]

Gavida

--------------------
"He looked bigger when I couldn't see him" - Jayne Cobb

Posts: 359 | From: Essen, NRW, Germany | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got a 1.0 GB USB memory stick- 10 (we've already used it many times for my daughter's computer art projects from school- we have a newer version of photoshop than the school does, so she does her work at home, saves it to the flash drive and takes it to school).

Celtic knot topaz earrings- 10

Dixie Chicks "Taking the Long Way" CD- 8 to 10

"Son of a Witch" (book sequel)- haven't read it yet, so NA.

And my parents gave us cash- 10 out of 10. [Wink]

I was pretty satisfied this year- the memory stick and earrings were a total surprise (from LittleDuck and my friend in Australia, respectively). The cash was a big surprise. And the book and CD I was expecting- and I was given a verbal "rain check" for another CD I wanted but was sold out every time my husband went to the store. (Bowling for Soup's new one)

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My BIL got me a Bluetooth headset for my cell phone. I opened it to charge it up. The charger was not for North America. I'm not sure where it was for. He's ordered a replacement, though.

My family all pitched in and got me a nice set of stainless steel cookware. Haven't used it yet, but I will soon. I can't wait! [Smile]

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ghijkmnop
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ghijkmnop   Author's Homepage   E-mail ghijkmnop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got a set of 120 Faber-Castell watercolor pencils, and a nice book to work in.

After years of being a geek musician, it'll be nice to get back into traditional media art.

--------------------
http://www.smokedsalmonband.com/forum

Posts: 41 | From: Augusta, Maine | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Evil_eyes
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evil_eyes   Author's Homepage   E-mail Evil_eyes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Laptop 10/10
Sansa Mp3 player 10/10
A nice Cashmere tank top 8/10
Bag with a zipper 5/10
Perfume 9/10

After christmas I was allowed to shop for accessories for my laptop, so that gets a 10/10 since I got to choose the things I wanted.

I love my SO and his family they were very generous to me this year and it was very thoughtful of them to think of me.

E*E

--------------------
"Taking all the pain I give you
Loving blindly in return
And I need you more than ever"
WWW.Myspace.com/E_E2000

Posts: 1243 | From: Northern VA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Max_Renn
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Max_Renn   Author's Homepage   E-mail Max_Renn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A new microwave oven to replace the 15-year-old Yugo-sized one with the broken door. Works great so far and takes up far less counter space. 9/10

The first season Saturday Night Live DVD box set. I've only watched a couple of episodes so far, and it's hit and miss. Too much music (the second episode had maybe one actual sketch and most of the rest of the show was a Paul Simon concert) and the Muppet films are just terrible. On the other hand, I never thought I'd ever get to see Albert Brooks' short films in my lifetime and I know Michael O'Donoghue has some great stuff coming up. 7/10

The new Tom Waits 3-CD set. 10/10

Max "I would like to feed your fingertips to the wolverines" Renn

--------------------
Sister Ann: DRIVE! DRIVE
Crow T. Robot: Look, I'm already driving, there's no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase! If you want me to go faster, you should say so.

Posts: 579 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Technically, I didn't get it, Ma did, but it's three pictures of Da that Steve got out of Da's house before my idiot sister and the witch (I mean her mother) threw it out as garbage the day after he died. One is of him being sworn in as a Lt. in the police force, and two are studio shots of him in his late teens/early 20's. One was a picture he had given Ma when they were dating or just married, I can't recall when. I've just spent the past few days staring at that thing constantly. Makes me a bit morbid, but it's still the best present in the house by far.

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Salamander:
Guitar Hero II - 10/10

Guitar Hero II - 11/10

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KaiTheInvader
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KaiTheInvader   Author's Homepage   E-mail KaiTheInvader   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Begoth" doll from my bandmate- 10/10, it's possibly my favorite present, and I wasn't expecting something so thoughtful.

clothes- ranging from 5/10 to 10/10, I didn't really need more clothes (especially not shirts) but at least they fit and they're within my range of tastes, and the dress my bf bought for me (well, I chose and he bought, then wrapped up) is perfect.

henna set- 10/10, my bf's mom got it for me, it's something I didn't even think to ask for even though I really needed more, and she knew enough to buy the good kind instead of the cheap pre-made paste-in-a-tube stuff most people get me.

magic 8 ball- 7/10, it's a pretty cool gift, though I'd rather have the "ask jesus" statue, but my dad had no way of knowing that and it shows he was thinking of what I would like.

perfumes- 5/10, I love perfume, especially the green tea one (it used to be my favorite scent) but the Rag Doll perfume has kind of become my signature scent to my bf, and he doesn't like anything else on me.

friendship bracelet kit- 6/10, my baby sister obviously re-gifted this, but she doesn't actually have any money and I was more charmed that she actually thought to get me something she knew I would enjoy.

purses- 4/10-9/10, I don't actually carry purses around, especially really nice purses (nowhere nice to go), but I do use a messenger bag that was falling apart, and someone got me the nightmare before christmas one I wanted.

jewlery- 8/10, I wear bracelets until they rot of my wrist pretty much, and I needed more earrings, plus my bf's step-dad got me a hematite bracelet which I love.

magic(k) reference book- 8/10, to replace the one that got stolen, hopefully this will get me motivated to start being more serious with things again, now that I actually have some of my books back.

wood carving tools and wood burner- 12/10, this is actually my birthday present, and it's the exact one I wanted (and really, needed.) thank goodness my parents thought to ask my bf exactly what I wanted, I would've felt bad if they'd thought of getting me this, but only bought the 600 or 750 degree one instead.

--------------------
Resurrection of mankind to careen in silent pace. Feeling lonely. I am the dream that nobody dreams of, but will you dream of me, and dream of eternal desire? If you dream of me, will you live for me? Will you? Will you?

Posts: 344 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa   Author's Homepage   E-mail SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Let me see

2 pairs of shoes-10/10, they were needed. My only pair of shoes were wearing out.

Thermal Underwear-11/10, windy days on the Hill can get pretty cold. I hate windburn.

Three Stooges movies-10/10, I love the Stooges. 'Nuff Said.

2 pairs of Headphones and a splitter for my MP3 player-7/10, not the headphone I wanted although the splitter was a cool idea. Now my friend and I can both plug in when we're studying together.

--------------------
You have the Right to Remain Silent. Anything you say CAN and WILL be twisted around, taken out of Context and used against you.

All we need is love and beer. Old school metal and some holiday cheer to be happy.

Posts: 711 | From: Bowling Green, KY/ WKU | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pirateslife
Deck the Malls

Icon 221 posted      Profile for pirateslife   Author's Homepage   E-mail pirateslife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Picture of a Wii- 10 out of 10, My husband and his family all went out a week ago Sunday morning (DH never gets up that early) and attempted to get me a Wii. They each went to a different store. They were unsuccessful in their search, but Jonathan printed out a picture of a Wii on some photo paper and wrote me an adorable note that told the story of how they tried, so it's a rain check for a Wii. "Merry first married Christmas." So cute, and I can keep the photo/note and remember how sweet he is.

Wedding picture- 10 out of 10. This is wonderful- DH's dad is an excellent photographer with an excellent Nikon digital camera. He snapped a beautiful pic of DH and me laughing as the rose petals were flung at us. FIL printed this pic on canvas (he also has a superior printer) and framed it in an elegant frame. Above and beyond anything I was expecting from them; this blew me away.

Lush bath products- 10 out of 10. I love baths, and I love Lush products. They got me all the products on my wish list, which I was NOT expecting, plus a few more. My in-laws spoiled me rotten this year.

Lavender scented rice bag- 10 out of 10. Not only does it smell good, but it can be secured, making this the best rice bag I own. I can velcro it around my middle when I'm having a bad back day. Which would be today.

Animaniacs two volume set- 10 out of 10. I now own a ten DVD set. A collective 1081 minutes of Animaniacs. Faboo! [Big Grin]

Disney's Robin Hood- 10 out of 10. Watched it with DH on Tuesday night for a bit of comfort.

Getting my transmission fixed- 10 out of 10. Thanks, Mom and Dad!

Molly living through Christmas- 10 out of 10. DH's Westland Terrier was 17 years old, and she made it though Christmas. She was sick, but she lived. We said goodbye to her on Tuesday morning. [Frown] We miss her, but she lived a full and unexpectedly long life. Good Molly.

All in all, I had a perfect Christmas. A very merry first married Christmas indeed.

Edited for spelling

--------------------
If the world were logical, men would ride sidesaddle. -Mama

I won't ask "Am I weird?" because that ship sailed long ago. -Kahuna Burger

Posts: 394 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'mNotDedalus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'mNotDedalus   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'mNotDedalus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Slightly Used Rubberband - 8/13: Only a smudge of dirt visible.

Carton of Cigarettes - 88%: Smoke up son; they're grrrrrreat!

Guitar Villain VIVIVI - Three Talons Up: Would be even more of a glorious gift if I knew what the hell Guitar Hero was.

And finally...

IND Building and Loan - Undetermined: Was off on my way, about to explore the world, when my old man keeled over and left this shabby establishment to me. Not sure, but I'm thinkin' of sellin' it to the ole’ miser who lives in town. He seems like a stand up guy, like he’ll take good care of it.

--------------------
The salty fragrance of L’Eau D’I’mNotDedalus - made entirely of and entirely for sea turtles.

Posts: 1983 | From: Chicagoland, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got, among other things, Simpsons Season 9, the last volume of Dangermouse, Final Fantasy XII, and Mortal Kombat: Armageddon. My coolest present came from my sister, who found me a Cars diecast set with the Woody car and Buzz car that appeared at the end of the film. I didn't even know they made them!

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Noemi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
kitchen gadgets, socks and gloves from Mom - 10/10

selection of really good lotion for sister & brother in law - 10/10

candle and candle holder chosen by neice - 10/10

new shirts and cardigan from in-laws - 10/10

30 gb iPod - 25/10

stuffed T-Rex named Mr. Gobbly - 25/10

Noemi

--------------------
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
My blog, no guarantees about witty or intelligent content. My current projects.
Coveted Beads <---- our eBay store, new items being added somewhat regularly

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The only thing I'm going to list is my George Foreman Grill, and I give that a 10, completely.

I LURRRVE the thing. Man oh man have we had some yummy stuff! Grilled sourdough panini sandwiches - grilled hot dogs (split them in half lengthwise and serve on sourdough bread with relish or saerkraut) - I made toast on it this morning it was wonderful - and I'm going to grill chicken breasts and eggplant tonight.

I might not use my stove for some time. I think I'm going to make pretty much everthing but soup on this grill.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BluesScale
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BluesScale   E-mail BluesScale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got:

An expresso maker
Another expresso maker
A Cappuccino maker
A Jacket 7/10, nice jacket, a little dull

As for the coffee makers, well, I love coffee but that makes 6 coffee makers that I have now. Really, that is plenty. So, sorry to be ungrateful but 3/10 for each one. 9/10 total but more of the same doesn't really help :-)

Blues "Able to type REAL fast now" Scale

Posts: 207 | From: Woolhampton, Berks, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smackmac
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smackmac     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Clothes - 10/10 - since I gave explicit directions
Aquamarine necklace & earrings - 10/10
"Deadwood" Season 1 - 10/10 - one of the best shows ever
2 Stone Sour CDs - ?? - I haven't listened fully to them yet. I know I like one song on each, but that's not enough for a recommendation.
New Cordless mouse - 10/10
New printer/scanner/copier/fax - 10/10 - I had noticed my SIL's and mentioned to DH that I would like one for my birthday in March, since I knew he had already done his shopping for me. He bought it anyway.
Lottery ticket worth $500 - 10/10
"Homicide" Seasons 1 & 2 DVD - 10/10 - another one of the best shows ever

Snoopy tree ornament - 5/10 - Now I love Snoopy, don't get me wrong. I have Snoopy all over my desk at work and home. I wear Snoopy shirts all the time. My son's room was done in Snoopy/Peanuts when he was little. What I don't like is that my SIL, who knows I only put handmade decorations on my tree, couldn't have put a little more thought into this gift when I made sure what I got her was something she could actually use and wouldn't get put into a box of Christmas decorations that would probably never see the light of day until I decided to clean out. The only reason it got 5/10 was because it was Snoopy.

--------------------
"Maybe getting in the last word doesn't really mean you win." - The Clarks

Posts: 486 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evil_eyes:
Laptop 10/10
Sansa Mp3 player 10/10
A nice Cashmere tank top 8/10
Bag with a zipper 5/10
Perfume 9/10

Oooh I love my Sansa e260! Which model did you get?
I did a lot of research before choosing it and I think the Sansa e2xx models are way better than ipod nano... I got mine for my birthday (well, half the price of it was paid for, for my birthday).

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Evil_eyes
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evil_eyes   Author's Homepage   E-mail Evil_eyes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got the Sansa e250, it holds 500 songs and I don't think that I will fill the thing up anytime soon, and I can always delete some sonfs, which reminds me I need to delete those preloaded songs on there.

I also got the armband for it as well, for when I decide to go back to the gym which is suppose to happen next week.

For now I love it, its sitting in my coat pocket behind me, I can't really jam out to Per Gessle songs at work, though I wish I could. It is much cooler then the SO's mp3 player so I am having fun teasing him about it.

It was a very thoughtful gift from my SO's father to give to me. I wanted one but I could have waited, I sort of feel bad now that all I got him was a one cup coffee maker, and a laptop lap desk. But I was on a budget.

E*E

--------------------
Loving blindly in return
WWW.Myspace.com/E_E2000

Posts: 1243 | From: Northern VA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd recommend getting a cover for the Sansa if you haven't already... They tend to scratch easily. That's the only down side I've had so far for my Sansa! I got a cover that covers the screen and then a silicone cover that covers the rest of the player.

Another nice thing about the Sansa is that they have the memory card slot, so if you DO fill the thing up you can still add more songs. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Evil_eyes
We Three Blings

Great suggestion, I didnt think about getting a cover for it, since my car is old I don't know if they make a car adapter that will work for me. So for now the use is going to be for when I go to the gym.

And I do like the fact that it has a memory card slot, on the off chance that I fill it up with songs, or recordings from the radio. Which is also a cool feature.

E*E

--------------------
Loving blindly in return
WWW.Myspace.com/E_E2000

Monster Joe
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monster Joe   Author's Homepage   E-mail Monster Joe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got a Dean Black Gold ML (that's a guitar) 8/10 because of a faulty switch and the case being delayed.
I'm getting most goodies tomorrow evening, but this was the best of the bunch.

--------------------
You're saying "Long Live Rock n Roll!" not "Let's go home and drink a beer"

Posts: 43 | From: Belgium | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CannonFodder Global Trotter
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CannonFodder Global Trotter   Author's Homepage   E-mail CannonFodder Global Trotter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Glock 35 4/5
Ducati Monster S4R Testatretta 5/5 (although I don't actually have it yet)
new coffee table 4/5
got to watch my 3 year old nieces go ballistic when they opened their princess barbies 5+/5

--------------------
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

Posts: 2776 | From: LSA Anaconda, Iraq | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cinnamon
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cinnamon   Author's Homepage   E-mail Cinnamon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
£20 HMV vouchers from my Dad - 7/10. It's easier than him trying to work out what I like and inevitably getting it wrong, but it's not exactly exciting.

£50 book tokens from my Mum - 8/10. A point higher than Dad because of the value.

2 bottles of wine and a box of pralines from Dad as thing to unwrap - 0/10. I've never liked nuts, he knows this, yet every year he buys me a box of pralines. And I stopped drinking in May. Get the impression my Father doesn't pay any attention to anything I say?

Motley Crue, Carnival of Sins DVD 2 disc set from my brother - 9/10 for effort, shame I bought it for myself about six months ago. However, I exchanged it this morning for the Carnival of Sins 2 CD set and the first album by My Chemical Romance.

Monopoly 'Here and Now' edition from my best friend - 10/10. I like toys.

Other than that, my bathroom is now overflowing with soaps and bubble bath. It would be a nice change, one year, to discover that people have actually made an effort on looking for things they think I might like. But then, I guess I don't matter much.

--------------------
My blog - a continuing obsession with my weight plus much randomness
My opinions on books, music, and other stuff

Posts: 845 | From: Gloucestershire, UK | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glisp42
I'm Dreaming Of A White iPod

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glisp42   Author's Homepage   E-mail glisp42   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Insignia 4 GB mp3 and video player: 10/10. I wanted the Sansa, but the Insignia was much cheaper and I couldn't justify another 60 dollars for the ability to record from the radio.

Money from my grandmother/uncle: 4/10. The rating will change when I can actually cash the check I was given. I took it to the bank to cash it yesterday only to be told that there wasn't enough money to cash it.

--------------------
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK" and other lingo mean?

And we'll collect the moments one by one I guess that's how the future's done. -Feist

Posts: 1641 | From: Kansas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Victoria J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Victoria J   E-mail Victoria J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cinnamon:
2 bottles of wine and a box of pralines from Dad as thing to unwrap - 0/10. I've never liked nuts, he knows this, yet every year he buys me a box of pralines. And I stopped drinking in May. Get the impression my Father doesn't pay any attention to anything I say?

I would actually give that at least -2/10, that is actually hurtful

My father's ex-girlfriend used to give me presents like that. I'm a vegetarian (and was wearing big boots from the "vegetarian shoe shop" so it was obvious it wasn;t just about food), and she kept giving me things made out of bits of animal. 3 or 4 presents in a row, ending with a dream catcher made of leather and gut that I couldn't actually bring myself to touch.

The odd thing was we got on quite well, I liked her and she never seemed hostile to me (unlike the woman my father later married).

Victoria J

--------------------
Post accompanied by maniacal laughter.

Posts: 577 | From: London, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Victoria J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Victoria J   E-mail Victoria J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And my own list :

The bag I had seen in a shop window (and turned out to have been the last one in the shop) 9/10

An elastic band powered helicopter to play with at the park with my little sister 9/10

New photo of my sister 10/10 (complete with gap from her first lost tooth)

A CSI computer game 5/10 (not bad just baffling)

Two shirts 7/10 (didn't like one, but now I've changed my mind, managed to lose a cuff button on the other)

Silver scarf 8/10 (very nice but sits slightly awkwardly - plus my mother brought me this because I liked the last scarf she gave me so much, but I don't want to stop wearing the other one which had pockets)

bath stuff 7/10 (I love it, but I already use it. It saves me money but I like getting new stuff I haven't smelled before. On the other hand it is hard to justify spending £15 on shower gel)

Earrings 8/10 (didn't like them as objects, but they look great on)

Necklace 8/10 (My mother thought I would hate this because I hadn't liked some "pointy" necklaces we had seen but the one she gave me was 500% better quality and is very nice. Hard to think what I will wear it with, and I still love my last necklace so much I'm inseperable)

DVD of Nightmare before Christmas 7/10 (had to cut holes in the box because the shop had left a security tag on. Loved the visuals, hated the music)

I did pretty well. I am slightly sad that there was no 10/10 pice of jewellery. What I got is very nice, but not something I fell in love with when I opened it. I think I am just getting too picky because I have such nice silver already (I like big silver "ethnic" jewellery).

The best presents are things you would want if you knew about, but you've never seen. Last year my mother tracked down a book of prints from an artist I like and ordered it from America for me. I didn't know there WAS a book, and if I had know I would have driven everyone mad wanting it. Perfect present.

I still find it hard to recogncile not being the youngest in the family, and now being a net exporter of Christmas presents because I buy so many for my sister (my father is very annoyed that when she opened books from him she was disappointed and said "Oh. Books." But when she opened the books I got her she said "Oooh ! Books" ...).

Victoria J

--------------------

Posts: 577 | From: London, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cinnamon
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cinnamon   Author's Homepage   E-mail Cinnamon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Victoria J:
quote:

I would actually give that at least -2/10, that is actually hurtful
I think it's thoughtless rather than being deliberately hurtful, but it isn't helping my general opinion that my Father is an idiot. As far as the chocolates go, I suspect he hasn't actually registered that pralines have nuts in. My family are very keen on the 'must have something to unwrap' concept, so in addition to the money she sent me I had a box of chocolates from Grandma (Dad's Mum) as well - Ferrero Rocher. *sigh* Fortunately my Mum kindly offered to swap my two boxes of chocolates I wouldn't eat for a very nice box of mint chocolates from Thorntons the vicar had given her - which also means I benefit from not having so much chocolate around to nibble on.

With the alcohol, I don't think my Dad (or that side of my family as a whole come to think of it) can get his head round the concept of someone giving up drinking so it hasn't sunk in. Either that or he is just a jerk of course.

--------------------
My blog - a continuing obsession with my weight plus much randomness
My opinions on books, music, and other stuff

Posts: 845 | From: Gloucestershire, UK | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Victoria J
Jingle Bell Hock

quote:
I think it's thoughtless rather than being deliberately hurtful, but it isn't helping my general opinion that my Father is an idiot.

Oops. I didn't mean to suggest he was being deliberately hurtful, more that the lack of thought shown was hurtful. As in my example; my father's girlfriend wasn't being unpleasant but the lack of consideration, or any suggestion she knew or cared about my tastes, was upsetting.

What I meant, instead of what I said [Wink] , was that I felt that a 0/10 should be a gift you had no interest in, but a gift that actually upset you should get a negative rating.

A much more important question is - How can anyone not like pralines ? My favourite, and I also love Ferrero Rocher (or however you spell them. I eat them, I don't read them). If you ever have any going spare...

ETA I am having very meandering thoughts today. Now I can't stop thinking about chocolates "going spare" - jumping up and down shouting, losing their temper, starting fights...

Victoria J

--------------------

callee
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for callee         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got the corded electric impact gun that I have been wanting, and I solidly give it a 10000000000000000000000 out of 10. Next time I hear some hot shot mocking canadian tire tools, I'm going to get out my impact gun and hit him over the head with it. This thing is nfbsking awsome. all metal gears, 250 foot pounds of torque, one-handed rocker switch, and best of all I know mrs. callee got it on sale for only $50 canadian dollars.

Just today a friend and I had to replace the drive axel on our 1990 buick. The main drive axel nut was a big one, 36mm to be exact, and it had been there tight and rust for 17 years. They guys at the part store were sure we were going to have to soak it in lube and then ream on it with a 6 foot johnson bar to get it lose, but before we did all that I convinced my buddy to let me try my new impact gun on it. "that canadian tire tool isn't going to move that!" my buddy said. even the guys at the canadian tire store said it wouldn't be able to do it. But, first try, with no hesitation, it totally spun that sucker right off! It was so freaking awesome, I can't even say.

--------------------
a moment for old friends now estranged, victims of the flux of alliances and changing perceptions. There was something there once, and that something is worth honoring as well. - John Carroll

Posts: 3375 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages