snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » New Years Resolutions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Years Resolutions
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 220 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know its not the end of the year yet but I thought I'd go ahead & start a resolution thread. Here are mine:

1. Book buying diet: I have *way* too many books & really need to trim down so I am only getting 'new to me' books in 3 specific situations:
  • Bookins-since its not buying, only trading
  • I recieve a giftcard to a book-specific store (Borders is OK, Wal-Mart is not) {still on the fence about Amazon}
  • The 2 weekends per year when Borders has its Teacher Appreciation Sale but only if I have a DiscoverRewards giftcard.
I'm hoping it will help me trim down & weed out some of my overgrown stash. I should also mention that the library is also OK as I'm not buying.

2. Do Rachel Brice 15-minute yoga workout at least 5days/week, working up to the 30 minute workout. I know its not much, but I need to do something.

3. Limit myself to 1 Dr. Pepper per day & switch to Diet Red Diamond Tea. Seems to me a simple way to cut calories & still get my 'fix'.

So, don't let me be the only one to 'bare my soul'. Post away!

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Several years ago, I made the only resolution I've been able to keep:
Never make any more New Year's resolutions. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Echinodermata Q. Taft
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Echinodermata Q. Taft   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't make formal resolutions, because the quickest way to get myself not to do something is to make it into an obligation. However, what I hope to do in the new year:

(1) Get a new job.
(2) Excercise at least a *little*. A walk once a week would be better than nothing.
(3) Engage in some form of political activity beyond jawing. In particular, volunteer for the Obama in '08 campaign, if there is one.
(4) Find some more occasions to crossdress, and some new people to crossdress around.
(5) Actually have sex with another person. Or, at least find a woman willing to keep me tied up for a while. [Smile]

--------------------
http://eqtaft.blogspot.com

Hope for the future! http://www.runobama.com

Posts: 3218 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kmcm
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kmcm   Author's Homepage   E-mail kmcm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I will continue to regress back to my teens.

I will continue to not care about what other people think.

I will attempt to quit smoking yet again.

I will attempt to find an exercise program which does not aggrivate my chronic pain and make it worse.

I will start being comfortable with myself, no matter what i think.

I will expose and help defeat the penguin conspiracy.

--------------------
Of course this land is dangerous! All of the animals are capably murderous. Especially the penguins.

i'm a figment of my own imagination, sometimes i don't exist

Posts: 1099 | From: Kitsap County, WA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago, G.R.I.T.S.:
Several years ago, I made the only resolution I've been able to keep:
Never make any more New Year's resolutions.

I'm with you. If it's not important enough for me to commit to during the rest of the year I don't see why putting up a new calendar will convince me to put any effort into it. I might as well make April 17th Resolutions. January 1st holds no more significance for me than needing to remember a new date when writing the rent cheque.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
1) Get happy and stay happy.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Morgaine La Raq Star:
1. Book buying diet: I have *way* too many books & really need to trim down so I am only getting 'new to me' books in 3 specific situations:

An idea I got from a friend when I was in a similar situation was to set up a credit system. For every book you own that you complete (or get rid of), give yourself a credit towards buying a new book. You can pick your credit based on how out of control you are. For example, for every one you complete, you can buy 1.5 books, or one book, or half a book.

It must be books you own, no cheating by crediting a completed borrowed book. I personally chose to apply it only to spending money of my own; if I got a gift card I could spend it outside of my credits. I don't actually use this system anymore because through doing it I learned to be more thoughtful and selective about what I was buying.

At least once a year I try to go through all of my books and weed my collection. There comes a time when I must admit that despite my best intentions and interest at one time, I will simply never read certain books and it would better for them to go to a new home and for me to free up the space on my shelves.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't make resolutions anymore. I start stressing over the fact that I haven't kept it and I already have plenty of stress in my life without creating more.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buckleupp
Away in a Manager

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buckleupp   E-mail Buckleupp   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For the first time in my life, this year, I kept my resolution. I have not eaten a tiny bite of McDonald's food the entire year (so far), even toughing through the tempting monopoly game and the McRib comeback. Yay me!

In 2007 I plan to expand this to all fast food. Now I know I can do it.

--------------------
HA! That's so funny I forgot to laugh...excluding that first Ha. -Stewie Griffin

Posts: 112 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My normal resolution is to not make any. But this year mine is to lose at least 75lbs.

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Each year, I resolve
all my communication
will be in haiku.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I made these resolutions in October but what the hell:

1. Prepare my portfolio to apply to grad school.
2. Spend less time vegging and more time reading, crafting, watching all those movies on my list, writing, cleaning, making my room awesome, and interacting with my loved ones.
3. Save twice as much money as I have been.

ETA: 4. Stop eating so much crappy food.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Howard
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Howard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I like to keep mine rather modest:

1. Lose enough weight to fit into my new dress pants (even though they are supposedly the same size as the ones I'm wearing now).

2. Get back in to a regular workout routine.

3. Find a new girlfriend.

--------------------
"I believe you believe that, but I just think you're confused."

Posts: 311 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mythophobia
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mythophobia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
1 - Live a healthier lifestyle. More salad, less chocolate, preferably lose a few pounds.
2 - Cut down on soda. No more than a litre a day.
3 - Do something cultural and social at least once a month. See a concert, visit a gallery, go to the movies, etc.
4 - Read at least 30 minutes a day, or do something at home for at least 60 minutes with both the TV and the computer turned off.
5 - Learn how to cook. Goes with #1, I guess. Got a beautiful book of over 1,000 basic recipes for Christmas, complete with all the help a kitchen nublet could ever dream of.

Alternatively, I could just sum it up in one point:
6 - Become a better person, girlfriend, friend and human being. *sigh*

Posts: 49 | From: Denmark | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NorthernLite
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorthernLite     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I will not be making any New Years resolutions. It's not that I am perfect by any stretch of the imagination. After forty six years I have pared my vices down to the ones that I enjoy the most and I ain't a-givin 'em up.

--------------------
You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons. -Blazing Saddles

Posts: 1074 | From: High Level, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My resolution for the next year: 1280x1024 on 32 bit.

Erm... Do the laundry more often, help with the dishes and finish projects I begun before starting new projects. Especially the "ElfQuest - Journey to Sorrows End" novel, that I have halfway OCR'd.

--------------------
~Reality, the refuge of those who fail in RPGs~
aka Darkfist Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Posts: 334 | From: Lancaster, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa   Author's Homepage   E-mail SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I only have 1 resolution:

Lose 40 pounds and get into shape.

--------------------
You have the Right to Remain Silent. Anything you say CAN and WILL be twisted around, taken out of Context and used against you.

All we need is love and beer. Old school metal and some holiday cheer to be happy.

Posts: 711 | From: Bowling Green, KY/ WKU | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Max_Renn
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Max_Renn   Author's Homepage   E-mail Max_Renn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
1. Pull the ol' electric guitar out of the back of the closet, get the bridge fixed and the high E string replaced, and start taking lessons for the first time since the late eighties.

2. Stop feeling so bummed out when the internet dates don't turn into relationships. Go out on dates with new people at least twice a month.

3. Keep up my current pace of working out, at least four, sometimes five trips to the gym per week.

4. Intensify the new job hunt. Fire off a c.v. every week.

5. Finish one new screenplay by March, and a second one by the end of the year. Re-contact all the agencies with fresh introductory letters.

Max "and find a new apartment" Renn

--------------------
Sister Ann: DRIVE! DRIVE
Crow T. Robot: Look, I'm already driving, there's no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase! If you want me to go faster, you should say so.

Posts: 579 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I try to have a theme for the year, rather than a goal - one year it was Be Happy. This year it's Their Stuff is Their Stuff - a reminder to not let other people's weird behavior be an affront to me - it's not personal.

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jeffrey814
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeffrey814   E-mail Jeffrey814   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I usually keep mine.

This year:
1. Eat more cheese.
2. Smoke more.

Last year I didn't do so good -- I think it was to drink more top shelf booze.(low on $) I stuck to my 2004 resolution to eat more cheesecake though.

Jeffrey

--------------------
A little nonsense now and then...

Posts: 478 | From: Wonder Lake, IL | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I did accomplish one resolution I made last year. I resolved to volunteer less. It made my life much more relaxing. Maybe I'll pick up the band-momming thing again this year, but I really needed that year off.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
2ys4u
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2ys4u     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Only one: Stop complaining so much.

--------------------
"Guns and butter."

Posts: 966 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages