snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Am I being stalked on myspace?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Am I being stalked on myspace?
Auntie Witch
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 218 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Every now and then, I've gotten messages on myspace from someone called "missouri". Their home town is listed as my home town (3000 people), but no identifying factors are given. The messages are always, "Hi, Caroline, thinking of your mom, hope she's doing well" or some variety on that, with the possibility of a holiday greeting (Merry Christmas, Happy Halloween, etc). I've tried adding the person to my friend list, with no success yet. The profile is set to private. All I know is it's a white male (only race in this town, unfortunately), aged 33. I did go to school here during seventh and eighth grades, and my uncle was senior then, and quite popular; so it's possible this could be a friend of his. Except my uncle doesn't have a myspace page. Nor could it be one of my former coworkers when I taught here, because there were only two men in the building, and both in their 40s.

So, the question is, am I being stalked? Should I worry? I'm not overly concerned, but it does pique my interest a bit that theres someone in my town that knows an awful lot about me, but I don't know who they are. Oddly, I'm much more comfortable knowing that "Marrya in New Zealand" knows my mother's full name and address! I guess it's because this person could find my house, and be there in less than five minutes if he wanted to be.

--------------------
"Feel my head! I feel like a puppy!" -My mother
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Myspace about my mom, kids

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd send a message and outright ask who this person is. I've done it a few times. "Do we know each other?" or "Thanks for your concern, have we met?"

I have a few people on my friends' list that started sort of familiar and I've asked them if we'd met or knew each other. Only one of them was someone I "knew" from my son's time in martial arts. The rest just read my blog and profile and happened to live in the area.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hubert Cumberdale
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hubert Cumberdale   E-mail Hubert Cumberdale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wouldn't worry too much. I've gotten many weird emails like this (none mentioned my mother though) on Myspace. My page is pretty bare and was set up as a joke with only one blog post, random pictures, and "Now you're a Man" by DVDA playing and I get messages from girls living in my town all the time who say I sound interesting and I should meet them at this other website. Do you say you're single on your Myspace page? Spammers look for that as an opportunity.
Posts: 835 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auntie Witch
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My myspace page has quite the blog on it. [Wink] There are updates on my mother's health, the things my kids did yesterday to drive me nuts, and during nanowrimo, updates on my word count, etc.

It's very obvious from my page that I'm happily married, with two children that are quite the handful! I just wish I knew what the deal with this guy was. He's sent me a message yesterday, and I'm hoping he just hasn't logged back on to add me. I think that is what's really bothering me, that I haven't been added or had a friend request. Kinda like, "I can see you, but you can't see me".

ETA: I guess I should add that if he truly knows WHO I am, he'll know I'm related to half the volunteer fire department, some of the local EMTs, the VP of the ambulance committee, one of the local teachers, the local plumber, a DJ service, the exterminator, and one of the local sawmill owners. Part of the reason I'm not too worried. [Wink] If he tries anything, we can burn his house down and nobody will come to put it out, take him to the hospital, or play music at his funeral. He won't even get anyone to dig his grave for him or help his beneficiaries rebuild. [Wink] [fish]

--------------------
"Feel my head! I feel like a puppy!" -My mother
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Myspace about my mom, kids

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm another who thinks the best thing would just be to level and send the person a message asking who they are. On my page I don't have any pictures that show my face very closely and I've occasionally forgotten that and just asked to be added to someone's friend list or sent them a fast message.
Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You can always block the guy by going to his page and clicking on the block button. No more worries.

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FuzzDuckie
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuzzDuckie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd ask. I've done that often enough on myspace as well as on IMs when I've forgotten who the heck a person is... kcm on here knows I did that to her on AIM lol (so sorry about that...).

Just zip him a reply and say... "what's up dude? Where the hell do I know you from or why/how do you know ME?!"

--------------------
Clever Waste of Time Invasion IV
An unique Riddle adventure.
PM me for more info. I'm on Brain Candy.
Purple Hell- Riddle Tools

Posts: 1551 | From: Georgia | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MissEltoe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissEltoe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You should definitely ask.

I have a weird feeling when people that I don't really know contact me on myspace too.

Once this girl wrote me a message saying something crazy like she had a friend that was in jail and needed someone to write to him.... WTF???

--------------------
Licorice of the Lord! This is classy stuff...Should I be wearing a tie? Or, at least, pants?
~I'mNotDedalus

Posts: 975 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages