snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » How do you get red wax out of carpet?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do you get red wax out of carpet?
pirateslife
Deck the Malls

Icon 15 posted      Profile for pirateslife   Author's Homepage   E-mail pirateslife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
FIL lost his grip on a box and knocked over a red wax candle. Anyone actually had to get wax out of new (ivory coloured) carpet before? We're searching on Google, but we've never tried any of the methods.

Also, some wax got in DH's Blackberry and some of his Christmas presents. Vibes for him, and any advice on getting wax out of a Blackberry or clothes (his new Mythbusters shirt [Frown] ).

We'd appreciate all input.

--------------------
If the world were logical, men would ride sidesaddle. -Mama

I won't ask "Am I weird?" because that ship sailed long ago. -Kahuna Burger

Posts: 394 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mycroft
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mycroft   E-mail Mycroft   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One method a friend has used (not a FOAF, he really did use this method and it did work) is to iron brown paper on the wax, the melted wax soaks into the paper. I assume you want fairly coarse paper and a cool iron. If the carpet is synthetic or treated (eg ScothGuard) I would not use this method (it ia an old traditional technique and would have evolved for wool carpets) in such I would recomend fine tweezers and lots of patience, aided by a freeze spray or ice

First method should also work on a cotton tee shirt, but be carefull of any design.

Hopefully the wax would not have penetrated the case of the blackberry, in which case the chill (to harden) and chip method should be effective. If it has penetrated and does not work then unfortunately the warranty would probably not be honoured, if it still works then it would be OK to leave it, further damage should not occur.

Posts: 135 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never tried it but I've often heard this method recommended. Maybe a mild peroxide bleach afterwards if any dye stains remain? Should work on the carpet and the shirt, though test the peroxide on a small inconspicuous area first.

My method - get a free-standing ornament, or small piece of furniture and place over affected area of carpet. [Wink]

As for the blackberry, if it still works, scrappe what you can off of the outer casing with a fairly soft instrument (plastic knife, fingernail, guitar plectrum.) I can't think of any way of cleaning the innards.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Ota Faction
Happy Holly Days

Icon 201 posted      Profile for The Ota Faction   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Ota Faction   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My wife says to set your iron on the lowest setting, then put a piece of cloth you can throw out (old t-shirt, diploma, whatever) over the wax and iron it. I've never tried it before, but she says that she has done it, and it does get the majority of the wax out, and whatever is left can be seperated from the carpet with a pet comb (small metal teeth set closely together).

--------------------
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are." - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
"That lonely recluse who lives down the road is crying out. So is that pregnant teenager. And the prostitute. And the drunkard."
Join the Free State Project - I did!

Posts: 1516 | From: *sigh* Elmira, NY | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Depending on whether you like your FIL or not:

Cut out an 8'X 8' section out of the carpet and roll his body up in it. Replace the carpet with wood floor.

[Smile]

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pirateslife
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pirateslife   Author's Homepage   E-mail pirateslife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
YOMANK, Roadie! Fortunately, FIL is wonderful, and it was an accident that could have happened to anyone. We all had to get on to BIL for being mean to his dad about it. Poor FIL feels rotten enough without BIL adding to it.

Thank you all so much for the suggestions. The warm iron on a towel is working wonderfully (they don't have any paper bags).

DH's Blackberry is fine; it didn't penetrate the casing, and the track wheel was able to be all cleaned out. He just got a new one the other day, so he hadn't even taken off the screen protector yet.
Thanks again for the help!

--------------------

Posts: 394 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Diesa
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diesa   Author's Homepage   E-mail Diesa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pirateslife here are a few things my friend and I have found helpful on candle wax

From carpet and upholstery:

Use the spatula to get off the big stuff. Then use a spot
remover like Goo-off.

Ironing is NOT a great idea on fiber because if it is not
ALL NATURAL fiber you can RUIN the surface with the heat. I
know that I am shouting here but you have no idea the number
of emails I get from people who have a perfectly formed out-
line of an iron melted into the carpet!

For carpets you can also try using acetone-based nail polish
remover or a spot remover with acetone in it. Careful not to
saturate the carpet, the padding can stain the carpet.

Posts: 21 | From: Leland, NC | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, how deep in the pile? The "cut it out" suggestion from Roadie, although tongue-in-cheek, may be an option. If it's a new carpet, you may have some remanents from the install? The installers may be able to cut out a small area and replace it with new. The deeper the pile, the easier it is to hide the patch.

If you have a pattern (as we do)it probably won't work because when the carpet is installed, it is stretched and the "patched" area pattern won't be stretched and will look 'off'.

Of course, the other suggestions listed seem much less destructive [Smile] .

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pirateslife
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pirateslife   Author's Homepage   E-mail pirateslife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The wax all came out of the carpet! Yay! There is some staining, but not any worse than from the dogs' accidents, just a prettier colour. Thank you all for the advice.

--------------------

Remarkgullabull
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Remarkgullabull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For the remaining stain, try Folex. This stuff is the best stain remover ever invented. I've even used it on laundry stains. It's extremely cheap and is sold at places like Lowe's and Home Depot.

--------------------
Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Posts: 1961 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny T   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jonny T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
set it on fire!

--------------------
Hello, I love you - won't you tell me your name?
Hello! I'm good for nothing - will you love me just the same?

Greetings from the dark side...

Posts: 2731 | From: York/Reading, England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Menolly
We Three Blings

Icon 304 posted      Profile for Menolly   E-mail Menolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Jonny, one more comment like That outta you and ... we'll make you clean up the anti-grav chamber after the December initiates leave!! [Smile]

ETA: just kidding smilie

--------------------
Let's just pretend we're normal for a minute ~ New favorite T-shirt quote

Posts: 1193 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages