snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » When do you open Christmas presents? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: When do you open Christmas presents?
Barbara
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 604 posted      Profile for Barbara   Author's Homepage   E-mail Barbara   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking of cats and bows, from Christmas 2004, here's Ashes, with Buster and Irene in the background.
Posts: 2511 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Don Enrico:
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
In the afternoon of the 24th, as is the Swedish tradition.

That's the German tradition, too.
And the Hungarian, along with fish for dinner.
quote:
Originally posted by Jenn:
On Christmas morning we could open our stockings when we got up, but we often took the stockings into Mom and Dad's room and opened them on the bed where Dad was being stubborn about getting up.

We always opened stockings on my parents' bed, too, and the first year I was married I tried to convince my husband to join in the fun. We all sat down on the bed and looked around quietly for a moment before someone said, "my, isn't this awkward!"

We do the living room thing now.

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bashful
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bashful   E-mail Bashful   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We're still working on our own family traditions, and we're lucky that our daughter is still young/pliable/mouldable etc at 3.

This is the first year she's been old enough for the memories to really gel, so we tried especially hard to come up with some family trads. We have the decorations up all December (basically from the first Sunday of Advent), gifts go into individuals sacks, and on Christmas morning, we can choose one gift each to open before breakfast and church. Other gifts get opened after we get home, and on Monday, we were still opening the last couple at about 7pm because we stopped for cooking and lunch etc.

Worked well for us; hope that next year will be just as civilised as we try to keep our kids from the clutches of "The Man" and the materialism which is perpetuated by the dominant paradigm....

--------------------
It Takes A Village To Raise An Idiot

Posts: 12 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Monza305
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monza305   E-mail Monza305   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was growing up, my parents wouldn't even put any gifts out until we fell asleep on Xmas eve. We couldn't open anything until we woke our parents up, and we were not allowed to wake them up until 6 AM. I tried to talk them into opening one gift on Xmas eve, but they wouldn't buy it.

In my house now, one gift is opened on Xmas eve. Then the rest are opened after Ma & I wake up in the morning. This Xmas it was 5:30 when the youngin woke up. That was actually the first time my 7 year old didn't have to be woken up for Xmas, so we let it slide.

When we have company over on Xmas eve, then the gifts we exchange are opened, instead of one from the Santa stash.

--------------------
I've got a pen in my pocket does that make me a writer?
Standing on the mountain doesn't make me no higher.
Putting on gloves don't make you a fighter.
And all the study in the world doesn't make it science. -Paul Weller

Posts: 199 | From: Kalamazoo, MI | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Monza305:
When I was growing up, my parents wouldn't even put any gifts out until we fell asleep on Xmas eve. We couldn't open anything until we woke our parents up, and we were not allowed to wake them up until 6 AM. I tried to talk them into opening one gift on Xmas eve, but they wouldn't buy it.

A former co-worker and his wife went even further. The kids had to make their beds, get dressed, sit down and eat a full breakfast, help clear the table, and brush their teeth before they could open presents. The parents would also check the kids' rooms to make sure they were tidy -- if they weren't, they had to be cleaned before presents could be opened.

I was never sure if they were trying to teach the kids about responsibility and delayed gratification, or if they just liked working them up into a fever pitch of anticipation.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh I forgot something. When I was a kid, us kids were not allowed in the living room (where the gifts were) until we woke our parents up. The gifts from other family members would have been under the tree for at least a few days, but the "Santa" gifts (and the stocking stuffers) didn't appear until after we went to bed Xmas eve, so it was also a big surprise when we all went into the living room together and saw everything there!

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Monza305
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monza305   E-mail Monza305   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
A former co-worker and his wife went even further. The kids had to make their beds, get dressed, sit down and eat a full breakfast, help clear the table, and brush their teeth before they could open presents. The parents would also check the kids' rooms to make sure they were tidy -- if they weren't, they had to be cleaned before presents could be opened.

I was never sure if they were trying to teach the kids about responsibility and delayed gratification, or if they just liked working them up into a fever pitch of anticipation.

That's just sadistic!

My parents didn't put out gifts just because they flat out didn't trust us. They didn't give us enough credit, they figured we would peek, or open them before Xmas.
As a parent, I can understand the wait until 6 thing. A few years ago, our teenager actually tried to wake us up at 2 in the morning! That, obviously, didn't work.

--------------------
I've got a pen in my pocket does that make me a writer?
Standing on the mountain doesn't make me no higher.
Putting on gloves don't make you a fighter.
And all the study in the world doesn't make it science. -Paul Weller

Posts: 199 | From: Kalamazoo, MI | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The tradition when we lived in Massachusetts was to get together with the rest of my mom's family the night of Christmas Eve and open presents from them, then everything else on Christmas morning. (So I'm told.) We moved to Missouri when I was four. The first year, we went back for Christmas. After that, we essentially duplicated what we'd done before. The first year, I misunderstood and started opening the out-of-state gifts the morning of Christmas Eve.

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages