snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » When do you open Christmas presents? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: When do you open Christmas presents?
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 219 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just wondering how everyone does it. In my family we open one(usually small) gift before bed on Christmas Eve then the rest in the morning...Then off to family's for more presents & dinner. They don't really have a set place anymore like we used to but everyone goes somewhere

My hubby's family opens everything on Christmas Eve @ midnight(or as close as we can come...we did it around 11:30pm LOL)& does the dinner on the eve as well. Maybe this is a Spanish tradition or even NY...a woman I work with is Spanish & did the same(don't know about the dinner part)

How does your family do it? Do you have anything unique?

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a kid, we lived on Army bases very far from my parents' home town. We only came to visit one time while I was growing up (for Christmas, anyway). We were allowed to open one gift on Christmas Eve- usually the gift sent to us by our grandparents.

Then, the rest on Christmas morning.

And, that's the way my kids do it. Even though we now live in the same town with my parents- they open one gift on Christmas Eve- and it is always pajamas. I thought they were getting sick of the PJs for Christmas Eve, but they said they love it- its "tradition". [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
YeeMum
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YeeMum   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
F_F, that was the same tradition at my house until DH's family 'changed things' I save the 'big/aka Santa' gift for xmas morning (as we wake up) since xmas eve is the big family thing at the MIL's house.
At least the frenzy of a bunch of gifts have worn off and the 'Santa' gift gets more press since it is the only one on xmas morning.The youngest still always gets a stocking.

Note the MIL and auntie showed up a bit early this am(they had a champagne breakfast) with 'extra' santa gifts and another stocking for miss mouse so it seems they are trying to change yet another of my traditions..bah

Yee-not ranting really-Mum

--------------------
Contact me for discounts
Charter member WNDMDC
"I am putting you on hold now.Listen to the elevator music and LIKE it."~My 'J'

Posts: 1816 | From: NE, Oregon | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa   Author's Homepage   E-mail SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We used to open one present at Christmas Eve with my father's family. But then we moved to Tennessee and we didn't go see them in Indiana anymore for Christmas. Then our parents still let us open one present on Christmas Eve. However, about 5 years ago we started opening all our presents on Christmas Eve. The reasons for this have varied. First it was because I was working for Blockbuster and had to work Christmas Day. Then it was because my EMT brother was going to have to work Christmas Day. I think its just become tradition now.

--------------------
You have the Right to Remain Silent. Anything you say CAN and WILL be twisted around, taken out of Context and used against you.

All we need is love and beer. Old school metal and some holiday cheer to be happy.

Posts: 711 | From: Bowling Green, KY/ WKU | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dieter Meyer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dieter Meyer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Over here we open them on Christmas Eve. My family always eat Christmas dinner first, then start opening them at about 7-8 p.m. - this usually lasts for two hours or so, and after that there's coffee and cakes.

Of course, the way it's done varies. We all gather in the living room and distribute all the presents, then one present's unwrapped one person at the time - other people may do it differently, but I think the vast majority opens them on the 24th.

Christmas Day is for relaxing and not really doing anything (except eat delicous leftovers and try out the new presents [Wink] ).

--------------------
"Soyons désinvoltes; n'ayons l'air de rien" - Noir Désir

Posts: 255 | From: Norvegr | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Vinnichanka
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vinnichanka   Author's Homepage   E-mail Vinnichanka   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This year we (me and my fiance) open one gift each Christmas Eve after midnight (which is technically very early Christmas morning). The rest of the gifts - before breakfast Christmas Day.
Back in Ukraine, we opened our gifts New Year's Eve, since we had Christmas and New Year rolled into one (complete with family dinner, Santa Clause/Grandpa Frost and presents) by the evil Communists. Now that the Commies are gone, my people still keep up the venerable tradition of opening gifts on Dec. 31st evening, and do carolling and candy-and-money-getting on Jan 1st through Orthodox Christmas Jan. 7 (kinda like Halloween). Oh, the strange ways of my people...

--------------------
Ladies and gentlemen, chlorinate your gene pools!

Posts: 250 | From: Brooklyn, New York | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pirateslife
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pirateslife   Author's Homepage   E-mail pirateslife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mom has a bag of little presents (buttons, christmas pins, small puzzles, figurines, etc) that we call the "I-can't-wait-'til-Christmas" presents. They are small gifts that help while away the month of December. When we say "I can't wait 'til Christmas," Mom brings out the bag and we select a present. It's never anything large or expensive, but it's a lovely tradition.
In my family and DH's family, we open all presents on Christmas day. DH's family also drinks Mimosas before opening the presents, so we did them in the afternoon and my parents in the morning.

--------------------
If the world were logical, men would ride sidesaddle. -Mama

I won't ask "Am I weird?" because that ship sailed long ago. -Kahuna Burger

Posts: 394 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kitoboo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitoboo   E-mail kitoboo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a kid we were allowed to open our stockings as soon as we got up. Then when everyone was up we could open one present before breakfast. We had to wait until after breakfast to open the rest of them. This was Dad's rule. It was agony, just agony I tell ya.

-kitoboo

Posts: 399 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The immediate family, which includes Me, Sister, Mom, Dad, Brother-in-Law, and Nephew, opens presents on Chritmas Eve after having a Christmas Eve Supper. The rest of the family gets together at Mamaw's on Christmas Day, but I don't always attend that since they do it so early.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's always been Christmas Eve with my family. Nobody wants to get up at 6! [Razz]

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a kid, we would open one present on Christmas Eve and the rest Christmas morning. Hubby's family tradition is to open the presents at night on Christmas Eve and then enjoy your stocking on Christmas morning. I like my way better, because then you have something to look forward to. Hubby likes his way better because then you don't have to wait for your presents, and he insists continuing his Christmas tradition rather than mine or rather than coming up with something all our own.

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Birgie
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Birgie   E-mail Birgie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We open presents on Christmas eve, both my DH's family and mine did it this way. When I was a kid it was great to not have to wait til the morning for prezzies and we could stay up all night playing with them!

--------------------
"of all tyrannies, the tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Posts: 49 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae   E-mail Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We open everything Christmas morning. Christmas Eve is spent at church, and on Christmas morning, the wrapping paper flies -- but only after the coffee is made and served!

Let me tell you, it never seemed to take longer to brew a pot of coffee than when I was a little kid sitting in front of all those wrapped boxes!

--------------------
The Wicked Witch of the West was FRAMED!

Posts: 201 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
emperor_genghis_khan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emperor_genghis_khan   E-mail emperor_genghis_khan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well maybe it is a spanish tradition we have the dinner (usually ore like a party then iner) a dpen the toys on christmas day.

--------------------
Excuses satisfy only those who offer them. Your enemies won't believe them and your friends don't need them.

Posts: 211 | From: Ponce, Puerto Rico | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Algae

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Algae   Author's Homepage   E-mail Algae   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a kid, the tradition was to open one gift. This tended to be from my grandparents and tended to be an outfit we could wear to Mass. (The tradition was broken one year when my parents got my brother a gerbil. They decided waiting until Christmas morning meant that the gerbil would be spending the night in the living room, where the very interested dog slept.) The rest of the gifts were opened Christmas morning.

This year, my husband, the Plankton and I opened gifts several times because we had several people to visit and work schedules to navigate. My parents on Christmas Eve morning. My husband's grandparents (both sets) on Christmas Eve night. Midnight mass. Gifts from Santa this morning. Gifts at my in-laws this afternoon.

--------------------
Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Don't drink and derive!

Posts: 1957 | From: Southeast Michigan | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Minstrel gone caroling
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In my family, traditionally we got one package on Christmas Eve-- pajamas! And then we opened everything else on Christmas morning.

Actually, I don't think I've gotten any new pajamas since the last Christmas I lived with my parents. [lol]

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.
My blog. The Adventures of the Fish O'Thwacking.
Countdown: 177 days (or less!)

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It varies. On some years, we opened one gift Christmas Eve. On other years, we ended up opening all the gifts Christmas Eve.

This year, my father suggested opening just one gift Christmas Eve, only to have it pointed out to him that that plan really only works when everybody has more than one gift. Leaving one person with nothing to open Christmas morning when everybody else still has three or four things would be kind of a letdown no matter how wonderful the single already-opened present was.

As it was, I made sure my one present was the very last one opened by virtue of appointing myself Santa Claus.

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It depends & it seems to be an ever-chaning thing, depending on the year & where we are.
When I was growing up, it was everything on Christmas Day. There was no pre-opening of presents at all. No amount of whining could change my parents minds.
Now that I'm a grown-up & we divide between 2 families at Christmastime, which involves traveling, we usually let the kids open 2 presents (chosen by Mom and Dad) before we load up the car & head to the families in another state. We rotate between 1 family & another so we usually open 1 set on Christmas Day & another the day after.
Stockings are a completely different matter. My family has a strong 'stocking tradition' but my in-laws don't. So, when we are at the in-laws for Christmas, there are 'double stockings' as Santa comes to both my in-laws and my parents (for my kids at the in-laws & for everyone at my parents). When we're at my parents, Santa just comes to my parents (for everyone, both adults & kids). Oh & stocking time is together time. You are not allowed to check out your stocking on your own!
This year, however, because of a last-minute crisis, the holidays looked like this:

-23rd: Open 2 presents at home/crisis occurs
-24th: Presents opened at in-laws (serious break in tradition but we all survived!)
-25th: Stockings at the in-laws. Kids were allowed to go downstairs & get them on their own so Mommy & Daddy could sleep in a bit. A few more presents are opened at in-laws. Drive 5 hours & more stockings & presents at my parents.

So, it was crazy & very, very different but we all made it work.

P.S.: For those of you wondering, I am chosing not to share the details of the crisis on the board but I can tell you that while it was unexpected & made things a bit chaotic, everything & everyone are OK now.

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
cubbie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubbie   Author's Homepage   E-mail cubbie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Usually with my family, we open gifts on Christmas day at my mom's, then on the 26th we go to our grandparents house to open gifts from the rest of the family. But since this year we have a little step child in the family, we had Christmas at my mom's Christmas eve because he (my step nephew) spent this morning with his dad.
My mom did give me and my 2nd oldest brother something to open this morning, since we were the only ones at the house. We still have to go our grandparents (mom's parents) to open gifts.
Also on Christmas day we get into our stockings when we wake up so we wait a little longer to open gifts.

--------------------
i reject reality and submit my own

Posts: 359 | From: Lansing, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LyndaD
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyndaD   E-mail LyndaD   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We (DH, kids and myself) open presents Chritmas moring before breakfast. Chritmas time spent with extended family can range from anytime the week befre Chrsitmas to New Year's, depending when the in-laws, cousins and various other participants can get together.

--------------------
I'll drive it ugly. You can't see the paint job when you're behind the wheel, anyway.

Posts: 570 | From: Central Valley, California | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In the afternoon of the 24th, as is the Swedish tradition.

In our family, this means around 16.00, after eating the Christmas food and watching the traditional Disney Christmas show on TV (Yeah, I know, it's cheap, but it's tradition.).

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Usually Christmas morning. This year Lizzy and I exchanged gifts the night before. And due to visitation issues, Santa came to visit BeanSpout so he could open gifts the morning of the 23rd.

If it were entirely up to me, I'd prefer Christmas morning for everything.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Enjal
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Enjal   E-mail Enjal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was growing up, we'd open the present(s) from Dad on Christmas Eve and then open everything else Christmas morning. Stockings first then someone plays "Santa" and sits by the tree to hand presents to people one by one.

Now, with extended family involved in the mix, we just get together whenever is convenient for everyone.

--------------------
"I'm a leaf in the wind"
New Lungs for George

Posts: 2719 | From: the other Portland (US) | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Growing up my sister and I were allowed to open dad's Christmas tips (he's a letter carrier) on Christmas Eve. On Christmas morning we could open our stockings when we got up, but we often took the stockings into Mom and Dad's room and opened them on the bed where Dad was being stubborn about getting up. (Somehow he managed to get coffee and cookies delivered to him, too. Hmm...) Once everyone was up we opened the presents under the tree, but the torture years were the ones when we had to wait for Granny and Grandpa to arrive after breakfast before we were allowed to open presents.

These days we open them when it works out best. Last year they were opened after dinner on Christmas Eve at Dad's house since that was the day when it would be just family (Christmas dinner was shared with some friends of my sister). This year we opened them on Christmas Day afternoon at my sister's house because it was the day we were all together.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AdmiralDinty

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AdmiralDinty   E-mail AdmiralDinty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We go to my maternal grandmother's house on Christmas Eve. All six aunts and uncles and 15 cousins open up their gifts one family at a time. Needless to say, this takes a few hours.

The wife and I open up our gifts to each other Christmas Eve night as close to midnight as we can get. Usually, this is closer to 11, since we are old fogies.

On Christmas Morning we drive down to my parents' house and open up gifts after breakfast. This is followed by dinner and intoxication.

--------------------
"I wanna bite the hand that feeds me. I wanna bite that hand so badly. I wanna make them wish they'd never seen me." - Elvis Costello

Posts: 2291 | From: The Banks of the Merrimack, MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ladyknight
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladyknight     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Traditionally, my family opened one present on Christmas Eve. It had to be a present from an out of state relative that you'd been staring at and trying to figure out since it went under the tree. Then on Christmas Day, we opened stockings first and presents second (our stockings and our tree were in different rooms, so we migrated as well). Then off to the extended family gathering for lunch and more present opening.

This year, The Fiance and I opened our stockings and our gifts to each other and from my parents on Christmas Eve. On Christmas Day, we went to the future in-law's house for present opening, then to one set of grandparents, and ended at a second set of grandparents. Twelve hours of unwrapping, shrieking children, etc. I want to go back to Colorado for my family's Christmas next year...his tires me out!

--------------------
Triumphs cannot be given. They must be taken, and the worse the odds, and the fiercer the resistance, the greater the honor. -- A Civil Campaign, Lois McMaster Bujold

Posts: 638 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glass papaya
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glass papaya   E-mail glass papaya   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When the kids were small, no presents even went under the tree until they were all in bed on Christmas Eve. Sometimes this was tricky, as more than once DH and I were ordered to go to sleep because "if you're awake Santa won't come!" The presents were opened on Christmas morning, usually at an awfully early hour of the day.

Now that they're older and we have a tradition for the last 5 years of having my parents spend Christmas Eve day with us, we open them all when my parents are here. Since we are the only family they have left around here, my parents really enjoy it.

Posts: 544 | From: Onalaska, WI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barbara
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbara   Author's Homepage   E-mail Barbara   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On Christmas Eve we're too busy sitting around waiting for the cats to talk to open any presents. snopes and I save all the present-opening until Christmas morning, with us usually getting to it in a rather leisurely fashion after we're both up and dressed. The cats assist in the process by burrowing into and hiding underneath the various wrappings stripped from the boxes. Much lurking and many surprise attacks ensue, which apparently appears to be a cat's idea of a great Christmas.

Barbara "that, and having sticky bows stuck on them" Mikkelson

Posts: 2511 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Growing up it was always Christmas morning after Grandma got there. Now we'll go to my inlaws on Christmas Eve and my mom's on Christmas Day. Presents are after dinner at both places.

We attempted to pursuade Little_Aud to open her presents on Christmas morning. The shiney paper was all she wanted.

Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barbara:
Much lurking and many surprise attacks ensue, which apparently appears to be a cat's idea of a great Christmas.

Barbara "that, and having sticky bows stuck on them" Mikkelson

Just look at how happy she is

3.4 seconds after that photograph was taken, the photographer was hunting for peroxide and bandages.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, at least I'm not the only one who stuck a bow on the cat! She looks even less happy in her photo, though...

Usually we open gifts on Christmas "morning" although morning has been getting later and later. Usually "morning" means as soon as we can wake up everyone enough to meet in the living room. When I was younger my sister would usually let me open one gift from her on Christmas eve.
This year it didn't work out, though. We were running really late to get to my aunt and uncle's house so we had to postpone the gift opening until Christmas night. I think it was almost 11pm when we finally opened gifts this year!

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Whenever Dad is awake. Especially if he's had to work one or both nights of Christmas Eve/Christmas.

This year, it was all on Christmas Day. The real present, though, was watching my dog run away from wind-up toys. Seriously, it was far too amusing. We shouldn't unwrap stuff at 10 pm when we're slap-happy. [Smile]

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico

Icon 219 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
In the afternoon of the 24th, as is the Swedish tradition.

That's the German tradition, too.

When I was a kid, we went to church in the early afternoon (the only time in the year we actually went to church), had some light early dinner, then opend the presents from about 18.00h. Later in the evening, when everybody had had a chance to look at his/her presents, we had another, more festive dinner.

Nowadays with my SO, we skip church and early dinner, open presents around 17.00h and have the christmas dinner after that.

This year, we were - among other things - talking about what it will be like with a child in the family from next year on... [Smile]

Don Enrico

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
creative gal
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for creative gal     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We open pretty much everything on Christmas morning, but my best friend and I have a tradition of opening the gifts we give each other together on Christmas Eve.

--------------------
Come sail your ships around me
And burn your bridges down..

Posts: 232 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When we were growing up there were a couple of family traditions.

My sister and I would get gifts from a friend of the family. We got to open those Christmas Eve night.

Then after putting gifts under the tree, Santa would leave a single, small gift (often a book) at the foot of our beds. Luckily that occupied us early risers so that my parents could sleep in for a bit longer. Awfully clever of Santa I always thought. [Smile]

I'm going to have to ask my parents if they came up with that idea on their own, of if they got it from someone else.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages