snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Belief in Santa Claus: When Does it Stop Being Normal? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Belief in Santa Claus: When Does it Stop Being Normal?
ChelleGame
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChelleGame   E-mail ChelleGame   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I stopped believing at 7 or 8, I think. Because I was a rotten kid I would actually make sure to fall asleep under the tree to make it harder for my mother to maintain the illusion. Then, on Christmas day I was sleepy and overstimulated, and apt to throw fits. I truly deserved the lump of coal.

Now I played with my Barbies until 13+ because I wasn't ready to give 'em up.

As late as last week I was cuddling a stuffed animal at work. [Smile]

--------------------
Michelle

Posts: 953 | From: Ely, Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
eif
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eif     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was about 11 or 12 when I figured out the enormancy of Santa's task. How many houses, how much time at each house, travel time, etc. And a reindeer and sleigh not being air-worthy...

But I also realized that there were many people like my father who through his VFW post collected food and toys for the needy. When I was a older teen, I recall him telling my mom about one house were he dropped off food for Christmas dinner and some presents to a single mom with two kids a few days before Christmas. He said she kept repeating, "I didn't know what I was going to do."

At this time of year it seems that people can be nicer, people are more caring, and things happen that can not be easily explained. Is it Santa? Maybe not. I know there isn't a workshop at the north pole. And the man is more myth than flesh and blood. But I choose to believe in him.

From one of the many Santa specials, "Lot's of unhappiness?(In the world) Maybe so. But doesn't Santa take a little bit of that unhappiness away? Doesn't a smile on Christmas morning scratch out a tear cried on a sadder day? Not much maybe. But what would happen if we all tried to be like Santa and learned to give as only he can give: of ourselves, our talents, our love and our hearts? Maybe we could all learn Santa's beautiful lesson and maybe there would finally be peace on Earth and good will toward men."

And from another recent Santa movie, "This bell is a wonderful symbol of the spirit of Christmas- as am I. Just remember, the true spirit of Christmas lies in your heart."

Santa is alive in the hearts of everyone who keeps the true spirit of Christmas.

--------------------
Where I come from we believe all sorts of things that aren't true. We call it History.

Posts: 506 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MissEltoe
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissEltoe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I still believe in Santa Claus (at 25).

Basically, something always happens on or around Christmas day that makes me believe.... [Smile]

Chelle, I played with Barbies just as long as you did! I probably woulda kept on if my mom didn't throw away so much of my stuff when I wasn't looking!!! Waaahhhh!!!

--------------------
Licorice of the Lord! This is classy stuff...Should I be wearing a tie? Or, at least, pants?
~I'mNotDedalus

Posts: 975 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
the Virgin Marrya
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To paraphrase Terry Pratchett: As long as you still get the presents, does it really matter?

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Soft Hyphen
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soft Hyphen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I believed in Santa Claus until I was 15.

Seriously.

My parents, teachers, TV - all told me he was real. I had no reason to doubt. I didn't have many friends, and though I did hear the "Santa isn't real" line every once in a while, I treated it the same way as someone telling me "God doesn't exist" - I pitied the poor heathens for having lost their faith.

I was pretty pissed off when I realized that not only was it untrue, but it wasn't the religious we-honestly-belive-it's-true kind of mistake but a purposeful deceit. I'm still sore about it, to tell the truth.

So, I stopped believeing in Santa at 15. That realization radically changed the way I processed the information I was given.

I became an atheist at 16.

Posts: 78 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages