snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Belief in Santa Claus: When Does it Stop Being Normal? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Belief in Santa Claus: When Does it Stop Being Normal?
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 105 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong forum. It didn't seem important enough for Soapbox Derby, so here it is.

I was reading Cary Tennis's advice column on salon.com today. A woman wrote a letter about her 13 year old stepdaughter who, despite being bright and not developmentally stunted, still believes in Santa Claus. Now, obviously, it seems a bit odd.

Most people figure it out by six or seven, or so I've heard. I personally never really had to...not celebrating Xmas often comes in handy. I do remember in second grade that some of my cohorts did believe, and I recall my mom admonishing me not ruin it for the other kids. So there was never a moment of truth for me. (Although it was around this time that I figured things out about the tooth fairy, so I could feel a burgeoning skepticism arising.)

So my questions are...

How did you figure it out (assuming you participated in celebrating Christmas)? Is it possible for a 13 year old to actually be intelligent and still believe? Should the parents of this girl be worried (about her emotional/mental health and well-being)?

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Magdalene
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Magdalene   E-mail Magdalene   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Based of my personal experiences as a former kid, I find that a bit odd....most of us started whispering "There's no such thing as Santa" to each other at about eight (third grade for me), and most of us had given up the belief by nine (fourth grade)--with the words from our parents to not ruin it for younger siblings. Classmates your age were fair game, apparently.

I don't remember any of my classmates or my younger siblings holding on to the belief past the age of ten, myself....so yeah, I'd have to wonder a bit at a thirteen year old of normal development.

I have a question of my own--presuming this girl goes to public school, she must've heard all the same whispers about it most of us did. When she asked her parents, did they tell her, or did they stubbornly stick to their story?

Magdalene

--------------------
"Don't mess with me. I dance with swords."

Posts: 1656 | From: Colorado | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
macblanc
I Am Curious, Yellowtail

Icon 1 posted      Profile for macblanc   E-mail macblanc   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think my 9-year-old daughter knows the truth. But she's not admitting it. She expects she'll get more presents, I guess, and she's probably right. She's made a few comments that lead me to believe that kids at school are talking about it....

Michael

Posts: 4 | From: Whitby, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glisp42
I'm Dreaming Of A White iPod

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glisp42   Author's Homepage   E-mail glisp42   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nuts, I actually just covered this in Unhijackable.

Here's a copy and paste for which I apologise, I didn't know there was a thread on this.

I actually pretended to believe until I was in the 5th grade and my parents flat out told me the truth. My logic was thus; If I pretend to believe, I will get more presents. I figured why mess with a good thing? Sure enough, the next Christmas, I didn't get as many presents. Years later my mother told me she was actually quite concerned about me because I hadn't figured it out.

I figured it out in 2nd grade when I moved into the basement of the house and heard footsteps from my mother's study upstairs over to the Christmas tree followed by a thump over and over again. I just kept quiet about it. [Big Grin]

--------------------
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK" and other lingo mean?

And we'll collect the moments one by one I guess that's how the future's done. -Feist

Posts: 1641 | From: Kansas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Magdalene, I'm not sure...The letter writer didn't cover that. She was surprised herself that the girl still believed. (There's a link to the letter in the OP, along with Cary Tennis's reply.) I, too, am sort of stumped.

It occurred to me that maybe she's just pretending for more presents. (I'd heard about that from others, in the past.) But then, I feel like in that situation it would make sense just to keep quiet/not say anything. She actually asked, "How will he know where we are?" Unless she's really laying it on thick.

Another hijack--how many extra presents do you get if you still believe in Santa? Is it more like, these are your presents from mom, dad, grandma...and here's a present that Santa left under the tree? Or two presents? Or just a stocking full of gifts from Santa? Do the "Santa" gifts get special wrapping paper so the kid won't figure it out?

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was wondering that too Artemis. I mean it's not like :Christie looks around furtively to make sure no little ones are reading over her shoulder: Santa is actually delivering any of the presents! Do parents really buy less stuff for the kiddies when the Santa secret is blown? We certainly didn't!

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glisp42

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glisp42   Author's Homepage   E-mail glisp42   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Christie, that was my experience. I've been thinking about it, and I realised that without Santa, Christmas just seemed less magical. Santa is a part of childhood and I think it's sometimes hard to let go of that.

--------------------

And we'll collect the moments one by one I guess that's how the future's done. -Feist

Posts: 1641 | From: Kansas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kmcm
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kmcm   Author's Homepage   E-mail kmcm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My 10yo still beleives in santa, as far as i know. As does the 6yo. If either of them asks about him, i just ask them what they think, and let them come to their own conclusions. They are already gonna need therapy just from being my kid, no reason to add the "My parents spoiled Christmas for me when i was young" to it.

--------------------
Of course this land is dangerous! All of the animals are capably murderous. Especially the penguins.

i'm a figment of my own imagination, sometimes i don't exist

Posts: 1099 | From: Kitsap County, WA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by glisp42:
Christie, that was my experience. I've been thinking about it, and I realised that without Santa, Christmas just seemed less magical. Santa is a part of childhood and I think it's sometimes hard to let go of that.

I found once my kids were small that I got that "Christmasy" feeling back again. It's gone now though. Rats. Don't get me wrong, I still love Christmas but, you're right, it's just not the same. Maybe my son is right and we should adopt some more kids [Big Grin] .

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amigone201
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amigone201   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wait...you guys mean there's no Santa Claus???

Sniff...sniff...WAAAH!!!

--------------------
Check out my blog! http://fundiewatch.blogspot.com

Posts: 1527 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
violetbon
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for violetbon   E-mail violetbon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure that I ever really believed there was an actual Santa. He was always just a big fun part of the Christmas celebrations. Having grown up in Chicago, there were umpteen stores back in the late 60's that had a spot for visiting Santa, and we hit them all in one day (The downtown ones anyway.) Burgeoning young capitalist that I was, I had my route all worked out to get the most free giveaways)

Add that to the fact that my dad was actually employed as the Santa at Sears, and the cover was pretty much blown for me.

As a teacher who has taught first, second, and third grades (6-9 year olds), I would say that in first grade nearly all of them believe, but by the third grade, probably only about 25% do.
What is amusing to me is that some of them are totally cool that there is no Santa, but they will totally fight to the death that the tooth fairy is real. As for me in the classroom, I play dumb if asked.

Posts: 193 | From: Seymour, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ComicBookGeek

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ComicBookGeek     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm 27 and I still believe in Santa Clause.

I just dont believe in a physical, living-breathing man from the North Pole who literally comes through the chimney. (at my house, he just kicked down the front door and fixed it before we woke up)

--------------------
My Blog

Posts: 177 | From: Mobile, AL | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa   Author's Homepage   E-mail SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I still believe in Santa Claus. Not for more presents, but because he is my father. He hasn't done it since my youngest brother was 5 or so, but my father used to dress up as Santa. He didn't need padding, being a large man, and he looked like the Sundbloom (Coca-Cola) Santa. When and if I have any children and if he is up to it I'm going to try and get him to do it again.

As for the belief ya'll are talking about, it usually comes around 8 or 9 when you have learned enough about the world to realize that what Santa does is quite impossible. If the child is mentally challenged like the kid in the OP though, they may have not matured to that point in the mental development.

--------------------
You have the Right to Remain Silent. Anything you say CAN and WILL be twisted around, taken out of Context and used against you.

All we need is love and beer. Old school metal and some holiday cheer to be happy.

Posts: 711 | From: Bowling Green, KY/ WKU | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If the child is mentally challenged like the kid in the OP though, they may have not matured to that point in the mental development.
I believe the OP said that the girl is not mentally challenged. Unless you are saying that tongue-in-cheek.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa   Author's Homepage   E-mail SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeaflessMapleTree:
quote:
If the child is mentally challenged like the kid in the OP though, they may have not matured to that point in the mental development.
I believe the OP said that the girl is not mentally challenged. Unless you are saying that tongue-in-cheek.
I misread something. My bad.

--------------------
You have the Right to Remain Silent. Anything you say CAN and WILL be twisted around, taken out of Context and used against you.

All we need is love and beer. Old school metal and some holiday cheer to be happy.

Posts: 711 | From: Bowling Green, KY/ WKU | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My kids stopped truly believing around 9ish years old. As each of the older ones reached that conclusion- they were ordered by me not to spoil it for the younger.

We still talk about Santa filling the stockings and its always done with a lovingly mocking tone.

As for if he exists- I've been to his house, so I know. [Wink]

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ToadMagnet
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ToadMagnet   E-mail ToadMagnet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My parents went to the trouble of using different wrapping paper for "Santa's" presents until we were all old enough to know better. (Funny how closely Santa's handwriting resembled my mom's, though.) By the time I was in high school, my youngest sister had learned the truth, and though the bulk of the presents were still marked as being from Santa Claus, the wrapping paper gave it away. We also still had gift-and-candy-filled stockings, too (including my dad and the dog), but we no longer put out cookies, milk, and carrots for Santa and his reindeer.

One of our traditions was my dad reading "The Night Before Christmas" on Christmas Eve. We kept that up long past the time any of us believed in Santa; one of my sisters married at the end of a November; the phone rang around 11:30 pm that December 24th, and it was her calling to listen in while he read it.

Which is a long way of saying, while by the age of 8 or 9 we no longer believed in the magic of an actual man performing world-wide giftly duties, we enjoyed the idea enough to carry it through until the next generation of tiny believers came along.

Toad"Santa-believer against all odds"Magnet

--------------------
Listen ... it's Mellow!

Posts: 927 | From: Virginia | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe in Santa like ComicBookGeek does (and I'm 35).

The way we did gifts while I was growing up was that we opened gifts on Christmas Eve, and then on Christmas morning we had a few more from "Santa" to open. When I got old enough to know the truth about Santa, I still got the same number of presents, but that could be because we never quit giving gifts from 'Santa' in the first place. Even when I moved back in at 26 (with then-BF in tow) we just had three Santas in the house instead of one (mom & dad only count as one Santa, really). We all took turns sneaking into the living room to put stuff into stockings and add gifts under the tree.

Since I now live alone, I did have to provide my own Santa present this year. 'He' brought me a Lego set, just like I asked for! [Big Grin]

As for the girl in the OP, could it be that she doesn't want to disappoint her dad by admitting to not believing? The letter didn't explain what kind of story he had told her growing up, and if he was her only parent for so long, it could have a different meaning (maybe to do with her real mom or something) than it would to other kids. And every family treats the truth differently when it comes to Santa, too. I mean, in my house, even if they knew that you knew, you just didn't say that sort of thing out loud - it ruins the magic of it if you do (or something).

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pirateslife
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pirateslife   Author's Homepage   E-mail pirateslife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In my family, Santa just left the presents in front of the fireplace. Santa never bothered to wrap our presents. Santa didn't come to my parents house this year, because my parents said that since I was married he'd come to my house now. He didn't come to my house, but he did leave me presents at the in-laws!

--------------------
If the world were logical, men would ride sidesaddle. -Mama

I won't ask "Am I weird?" because that ship sailed long ago. -Kahuna Burger

Posts: 394 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What is wrong with believing in Santa? Why is it cute and acceptable at age 5, but weird and wrong (and seemingly, a harbinger of mental illness) at age 13?

I don't remember how old I was when I found out that Santa's handwriting greatly resembled my father's, and I don't recall feeling crushed at the loss of the magic, nor did I feel the need to milk it for more than it was worth to get more presents or anything. It simply was what it was.

Personally, I think it's lovely that someone can hit their teens without becoming a cynic. Kids lose their innocence faster and faster, and it's a little disheartening. But just because some folks think she oughtta grow up doesn't make her mentally unhinged.

Then again, maybe she's just milking it.

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae   E-mail Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm...I remember how I figured out that there was no Santa -- every year, "Santa" would write me a thank you note for the cookies and milk that I left out, as well as writing my name on the presents. When I noticed that Santa's notes were in my mom's handwriting, the little light bulb flickered on over my head. I think I was about 7 or 8 at the time.

But the 13 year old who still believes...I can't believe that her friends haven't spoiled it for her yet. My guess is that she's playing dumb, but probably has it figured out, at least on some level.

I wrote this post hours ago, but my internet went out so I am just now posting it -- and in the time it took for my internet to come back on, it seems that someone else has admitted to the same kind of realization that I had about Santa's handwritten notes [Smile]

--------------------
The Wicked Witch of the West was FRAMED!

Posts: 201 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect DS realised there was no Santa from about the age of 9, but it was only when he was 11 that he posed the question. I remember we were driving in the car on late December, when he casually asked "Father Christmas doen't exist - does he?"

"Err - no." was all I could manage. We have never spoken of it since.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
delta_T
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for delta_T   E-mail delta_T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My older sister made me stay up with her on Christmas Eve when we were about 3 and 5, and we saw our grandfather fill our stockings in his boxer shorts. (This is a memory of a memory at this point) So I didn't believe for very long. My sister was one of those annoyingly precocious kids who had to be told not to ruin it for the kids at school, but did anyway.

My older son never really seemed to buy the idea, but he played along. When he was about 6, I asked him what he thought, and sure enough, he had already figured it out. I did ask him to play along for his younger brother's sake, and he was happy to comply. My younger son was (I think) about 7 when he asked me straight out if Santa was real. I told him the truth (IMO, Santa is a spirit that lives in everyone, not a guy in a red suit). A couple weeks later, he asked about the Easter Bunny, and then the Tooth Fairy.

Even after the kids knew these things weren't "real", we continued all the traditions we had before. They are 14 and 17, and they still get Easter baskets, presents from Santa, and my younger son still gets money from the Tooth Fairy (although he doesn't insist on the trail of "fairy dust" leading from the window to the pillow anymore).

ETA: To add a word.

Posts: 25 | From: Guelph, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I never believed in Santa Claus. I must have been a snopester from birth. My mom told me about Santa and I laughed and said there was no way that was true. Now I think about how sad it must have been for my mom to have her 3-year-old laugh off Santa. We still did stockings, and my younger brother believed in Santa until he was 11!

Starlet must have inherited my scepticism because she has never believed in Santa either. She made it clear pretty early on that she thought it was a fun game, but did not think it was real. This year was weird for her because all her Kindergarten friends seem to believe. I think she wants to, but just doesn't (I can relate). But she still likes setting out a treat for Santa. She thinks he must get sick of cookies so this year she left him a ham sandwich!

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ToadMagnet:
(SNIP)
One of our traditions was my dad reading "The Night Before Christmas" on Christmas Eve. We kept that up long past the time any of us believed in Santa; one of my sisters married at the end of a November; the phone rang around 11:30 pm that December 24th, and it was her calling to listen in while he read it.

(SNIP)

The Night Before Xmas is a tradition with us as well. Xmas Eve is my birthday as well, so reading it is also part of the closing festivities. I hope it continues as long as yours seems to have lasted!

And, I'll add my sense that this 13 yo doesn't truly believe, but is simply keeping up her own personal tradition. It's nice to hold a little magic inside, isn't it? As long as fantasy isn't interfering with everyday life -- I bet most of us hold something like this inside.

Here's the Straight Dope take on it, which I like a lot.

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I honestly don't remember when I figured it out but it must have been around 9 or 10. I don't remember believing for an abnormally long length of time. My DS did mention this year that he still believed in Santa but, at age 9, I'm thinking this is my last year for both kids to believe.
I personally never got the 'only kids get stuff from Santa' theory/train of thought. I'm in my 30s & today Santa brought me a bookmark, some toothpaste, some coffee & some nice hand soap among other things. Even my older than dirt grandfather gets a stocking with things in it. To me, Santa is for all, not just kids & it takes the shine off the 'magic' (not to mention its a bit harder to explain) if only kids get stuff from Santa. Aren't adults nice & not naughty too?
When we got married, my MIL gave my DH his stocking & I thought she was crazy! Why did he need it? My stocking is still at my parents house so Santa can fill it on Christmas Eve. The 'magic' does work in other places but I like having my stocking at my parents for its yearly filling.

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lynnejanet
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynnejanet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Our 12 yo son still professes to believe in Santa. He's not just playing along - I think he wants to still believe, so he actively avoids any conversation that would force him to openly discuss it. He hates the song "I saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" for the same reason. And, as NeeCD brought up, I think he doesn't want to disappoint us, because we have such fun with the Santa myth. We don't go all out as my parents did (reindeer and sleigh tracks in the snow, and long notes in disguised handwriting), but we do leave milk and cookies. I don't know how he handles this at school. He's in Grade 7, so I'm sure there's open discussion of it.

I wouldn't be surprised if we never talk about it with him - I think he'll prefer to choose to believe for a long time. He's a unique kid, and I'm never really sure what goes on in his head (he's gifted/learning disabled/Asbergers).

Our youngest son (now 8) will confront it head on any time now, I'm sure, which will royally piss off his older brother!

--------------------
lynne"insert appropriate punny phrase here"janet

Posts: 1460 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Diesa

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diesa   Author's Homepage   E-mail Diesa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think for myself i probably figured it out around 10 or 11. But just kept telling myself that I was being Crazy, because Santa always called us from his sleigh when he was on his way to our house, when i think back now it makes me miss my Grandpa who out found out at 13 was the one making the calls to us. Even if I had the idea that maybe he was not real I did not ask the question until I was 13, and I will not go into what made me ask that would be TMI, that I doubt anybody wants to know about [Smile] But I do not think that there is anything wrong with to believe it makes the magic of the Holiday season even more special. Happy Holidays to All
Posts: 21 | From: Leland, NC | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ToadMagnet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ToadMagnet   E-mail ToadMagnet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dogwater:
quote:
Originally posted by ToadMagnet:
(SNIP)

(SNIP)

The Night Before Xmas is a tradition with us as well. Xmas Eve is my birthday as well, so reading it is also part of the closing festivities. I hope it continues as long as yours seems to have lasted!

{snip}

Keep it up - we were well into our 20's (our eldest sister in her 30s) and visiting for Christmas when this occurred. The aforementioned sister's husband has taken up the tradition since my dad's death - he even keeps the book in his family's safe. If that's not "the spirit of Christmas," I don't know what is.

--------------------
Listen ... it's Mellow!

Posts: 927 | From: Virginia | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glisp42

Family tradition was always to read "A Christmas Carol" on Christmas eve. I guess that's what happens when your mother has a doctorate in English Literature.

There's also the family tradition of my brother making me cry, and then later laugh, by telling me he was going to wait up for Santa with a shotgun.

--------------------

Quink
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quink   E-mail Quink   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Asking about Santa when I was six is one of most my most vivid Christmas memories. It was shortly after Christmas, and I was terrified that my parents would be mad that I'd found out (It was the wrapping paper that gave it away for me), so I snuck out into the workshop where they were working on a project and hid under a table saw until I worked up the courage to ask. I remember my dad making me a big mug of hot chocolate to make me feel better. I wasn't disappointed about Santa, but I was worried that I'd disappointed my parents. Of course, my sister showed up the next year and my brother two years later, so I had lots of fun being on the inside. By the time they were old enough to appreciate it, I was going all out to do interesting things with gift wrapping (And you should have seen some of the places my nine-year-old Easter Bunny self hid the eggs).

I seem to remember my first 'boyfriend' still believing when we were 11 and getting very mad when anyone tried to tell him something different. That may have been what made me break up with him (As much as you can break up the boy you hold hands with at recess). As for the Santa presents, that never changed. We've always gotten one medium present from 'Santa' and a full stocking. I'm 27 now and still expecting my stocking to show up any day, filled with chocolates and gift cards and booze. [Smile]

Posts: 53 | From: Calgary | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wild.Otaku
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wild.Otaku   Author's Homepage   E-mail Wild.Otaku   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wait..what? Santa isn't real? What the heck? Who are you crazy people? Of course he's real! He's at the malls and..what? *quiet whispers* ooooh, okay...

In all seriousness, I knew by the time I was 8. My mother got mad at me for something, though it could have been when she'd been taken off Prozac and just came out and told me after we missed the local Santa visit.

--------------------
Tom, we're flying a giant robot into space! "Safe" isn't the first word that springs to mind! - Colleen, Last Hope, Vol.2

Posts: 2710 | From: Meet me in St. Louis | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tzarina
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tzarina     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Peanut is 6, and we think this may be her last Christmas believing in Santa.

My dad plays Santa, and has done so for the Peanut's school. We told her that the Santas at the mall and other places were special helpers that the Real Santa has so he can keep working at the North Pole, making toys. So Granddad is a special seasonal employee of the big man himself. (this is also why she doesn't have to make a Christmas list, Granddad just lets Santa know what she wants)

This year when she started asking questions about Santa, we decided to turn the questions back to her rather than fib about it. I think she'll figure it out soon.

As for Santa, I believe in Santa. The myth and the magic of the man and the spirit of giving surprises, if not the man himself.

Posts: 1359 | From: Akron, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't remember ever believing in Santa. I was a bright and analytical kid and it just didn't make sense (biggest clue was that Santa's writing on the tags was identical to my mother's). However, my mother was really into playing up the Santa thing so I played along. I think I could sense that it would be a hard "My baby's growing up" moment for her so I went with it.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dawnda

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dawnda   E-mail dawnda   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. [Wink] I'm 36, & like ComicBookGeek, I like the idea that is Santa, that we carry around in our imaginations & hearts.

Ray Bradbury (one of my all-time fav authors) wrote a short story called 'The Exiles', about ficitional characters like Santa & the Tooth Fairy living on the moon because there was no place left for them on earth, & what happens when they are eradicated. Has his usual anti-censorship morals, but also has the theme that our imaginations & fiction are Good Things(TM).

--------------------
Behind every good man there is a good woman and behind that another
man looking at her rear end.

Posts: 35 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages