snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Snopesters alone and/or working on Dec. 25 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Snopesters alone and/or working on Dec. 25
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll be working all night. No, not riding a sleigh, grading papers. Class all day on the 25th. The little one and his mother will be away for a few days after the morning present ritual (we have a special treasure hunt each year -- I have to wake up and hide the presents, make clues -- his idea, not mine!).

So, basically, it's just another day for me. I thought I'd start a thread for anyone else who just wants to tell how their Monday has been.

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lydia Oh Lydia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I'm working today (the 24th) for the first time in about 7 years. I swore I'd never work again on Christmas Eve or Christmas. But, now I work for myself and I'm trying to find a job.

Between today and tomorrow, I need to read 100s of pages of reports and come up with some meaningful questions for some meetings next week. I'm hoping I get that done today, but it's more likely I'll be finishing up tomorrow evening.

I have family around, but DH and I have basically been separated since October. So, when I wake up tomorrow, it'll be just me and the cats.

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll be on my own for the whole period. Since my mother died a couple of years ago my dad has been to the guest house he goes on holiday to in the summer. My brothers go to their in-laws. So, after church, tomorrow that's it.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa   Author's Homepage   E-mail SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to work today and have tomorrow off. My family really doesn't do a whole lot of celebrating, so it will be more like we are all alone. We have dinner and presents tonight after I get home and tomorrow is just another day.

--------------------
You have the Right to Remain Silent. Anything you say CAN and WILL be twisted around, taken out of Context and used against you.

All we need is love and beer. Old school metal and some holiday cheer to be happy.

Posts: 711 | From: Bowling Green, KY/ WKU | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm working today, but only from 2-7. Plus I don't really have anything special to do today (Chanukah is over), so it's not like it's a big deal for me.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kmcm
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kmcm   Author's Homepage   E-mail kmcm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I work today, have christmas off, then work the 26th. I was not amused when i saw the schedule.

--------------------
Of course this land is dangerous! All of the animals are capably murderous. Especially the penguins.

i'm a figment of my own imagination, sometimes i don't exist

Posts: 1099 | From: Kitsap County, WA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Suiren
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suiren   E-mail Suiren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This will be my third Christmas in a row without my fiance'. First he was in Germany, then Iraq, now Fort Sill, OK. We got engaged on Christmas in 2003, so this especially sucks.

Sui 'hopefully not alone next year' ren

--------------------
"No, I'm not running a black market out of my trenchcoat! Why would you think that? ... Those are green tea packets... GREEN TEA!"

Posts: 177 | From: Missouri | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll be spending tomorrow writing internship applications and/or getting in some quality time on my novel (I hope!!!). I do have a couple of friends still hanging around campus, so I won't be totally alone. Also, with any luck at all, I'll be off on a train to Portugal or maybe even Morocco later this week.

To be honest, I haven't enjoyed Christmas with my family at least since I was a teenager, so I don't feel too bad to be on my own. As for significant others, the one I hope will be my next sweetie is happily off at home with her family, where she desperately needs to be just now. She and I had a couple of delightful days together this past week and just maybe absence really does make the heart grow fonder. So again, no regrets!

Ramblin' "I always have been too damn good at being on my own" Dave

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll be standing duty on Christmas. Don't worry, I'm not complaining-- I volunteered. [Smile]

The only thing I can complain about is that snopes is firewalled on the NIPRNET... grumble grumble.

Anyway, wish me luck that it's a quiet Christmas with no accidents, no suicides, and no domestic violence. [Big Grin]

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll be alone, but it doesn't matter as Christmas is celebrated on the 24th in Sweden and I've already celebrated it.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
HelloLlama
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HelloLlama     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I won't be alone, but I'm in a similar situation. Llamaboy, Neill, went in to get some chemo yesterday, got a fever, and then got admitted. Hubby is staying with him. So it's just me and Llamaboy, Ian, at home right now and tomorrow.
Posts: 498 | From: Ypsilanti, Michigan | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
random guy
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for random guy   E-mail random guy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
currently im in a oil rig in the north sea . at least im home for new year tho
Posts: 2 | From: Scotland | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
queen of the bah-caramels
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 105 posted      Profile for queen of the bah-caramels   E-mail queen of the bah-caramels   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll be working, i am a mum after all [Big Grin]

--------------------
Focus On The Family- An opinion group who think more about Gay Sex than gay people do- Rick Mercer

Posts: 590 | From: Rawdon, Quebec | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll be alone on Christmas. I'm in California, the rest of my family is in North Carolina, and I don't have enough vacation days left to make traveling that far really worth it.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Quink
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quink   E-mail Quink   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been working non-stop for the last month, so tomorrow I'm going to sleep, clean my apartment, make kraft dinner, then go back to bed so I can be at work at 5:30 on Boxing day. Good times!
Posts: 53 | From: Calgary | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Diesa

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diesa   Author's Homepage   E-mail Diesa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For the first time in 8 years, I get to be home with my family in North Carolina for a change.
Posts: 21 | From: Leland, NC | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glisp42
I'm Dreaming Of A White iPod

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glisp42   Author's Homepage   E-mail glisp42   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had planned on going down to see my family and but things happened to prevent it. I touched on this in another thread but my dog got a puncture wound that got infected in his cheek from playing to rough with the other dogs so I have to stay here and take care of him. Since I work for myself I just can't take the time off right now to go see the family, especially since they are 3 hours away.

--------------------
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK" and other lingo mean?

And we'll collect the moments one by one I guess that's how the future's done. -Feist

Posts: 1641 | From: Kansas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
happyholidaysfrog
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happyholidaysfrog   Author's Homepage   E-mail happyholidaysfrog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll be alone, kind of. It's just my Dad and I here (step-mom and little bro went to her moms out of state for a week) and we hosted our family get-together tonight. The last three days for me have been a flurry of cleaning, baking and candy making, and then today the event, whew, it's a helluva lotta work to play hostess to twenty one people!

I am so glad it's over. Tomorrow for X-Mas I will be sleeping to my hearts content, then I will eat something with no nutritional value (most likely fudge) and muck about on the net and talking to family on the phone.

--------------------
~All we see or seem is but a dream within a dream~
E.A.Poe

Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
~James Dean~

Posts: 516 | From: Anderson, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Toad Buddy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toad Buddy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just got off work at midnight, am off Christmas Day but back at it for day shift on Boxing Day. Then [sarcasm] lucky me [/sarcasm] I get to work New Year's Eve from 3:30 to midnight. Oh well, I shouldn't complain, it's a new job & I'm glad I have it!
Happy Christmas ~
~ Toad Buddy

Posts: 122 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm working both tonight and tomorrow night; I'll see my dad tomorrow afternoon. I don't mind working Christmas.

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DAnnino
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DAnnino     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm at work now. In fact, we have three lanes of traffic. But I'm BDO (before day off), so after tonday, I get my two days off.

I offered to give up the holiday pay for Christmas if I could have it for Hanukkah! [Big Grin]

--------------------
NO BETTER FRIEND, NO WORSE ENEMY
--
"I grok when apes learn to laugh, they'll be people."

Posts: 727 | From: Southeastern Arizona | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by queen of the bah-caramels:
I'll be working, i am a mum after all [Big Grin]

Same here. [Wink]

Back when I was working, I worked every bloody holiday- no matter if it fell on one of my regularly scheduled days off. I was a shift supervisor- the "boss" didn't care that I had very young children at home (I worked till 7 AM). My immediate supervisor came in one year at 4 AM and let me go home so I could be there when my kids woke up.

You all have my sympathy.

Of course, at this point in my life, I'd like to be working in general and I wouldn't care if I had to work on the holiday.

quote:
Originally posted by Suiren:
This will be my third Christmas in a row without my fiance'. First he was in Germany, then Iraq, now Fort Sill, OK. We got engaged on Christmas in 2003, so this especially sucks.

Sui 'hopefully not alone next year' ren

During my spouse's 8 year hitch in the Army, we only spent one Thanksgiving together, which also happened to be our anniversary and we were in the middle of a transfer. We never had any of my/kids'/his birthdays together. And Christmases together were sort of 50/50. But, you make do with what you get. **hugs**

Frog-been there-Feathers

edited because its 230ish AM

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday (24th) I was working (3pm to 9:30pm) but it was light stuff, just folding blankets in laundry and we did long breaks 45 minutes dinner and 45 minutes normal breaktime.
Today (25th) my wife has to go to work (7pm to 7:30am) and I'll take care of the wee ones.

But DW has to work New Years Eve, I have to work New Years day.

--------------------
~Reality, the refuge of those who fail in RPGs~
aka Darkfist Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Posts: 334 | From: Lancaster, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm lucky and am at home with my wife and kids today. To all you snopesters who are working and alone--well, you're not really alone. Merry Christmas, everyone.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm wearing antlers. None of the guests seem to have noticed yet. This worries me a little.

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DAnnino
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DAnnino     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by christmas tree kitapper:
I'm wearing antlers. None of the guests seem to have noticed yet. This worries me a little.

That's because the average tourist doesn't notice anything! And they're all in danger of waking up in a tub of ice, minus a kidney! [Big Grin]

--------------------
NO BETTER FRIEND, NO WORSE ENEMY
--
"I grok when apes learn to laugh, they'll be people."

Posts: 727 | From: Southeastern Arizona | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
unklesamta
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unklesamta   E-mail unklesamta   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am here from 7:30 AM till 3:30 PM, and the only counselor in the building. But then I get to join little unklesamta and DW at the in-laws for a christmas dinner and football, they are all big eagles fans, (I love them too, just not as much as my bears.) and hopefully some good holiday spirits!

--------------------
The less you know, the more you believe. -Bono

Posts: 457 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
desertdweller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertdweller   E-mail desertdweller   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am working today, I worked Thanksgiving and wil be working both News Day and New Years Eve. Looking around, most desks are empty. But, gives me time to google and rant on blogs.

Merry Christmas to all!!!

--------------------
Just singin' in the Bahrain

Posts: 49 | From: Manama, Bahrain | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
S.P.E.C.T.R.E.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for S.P.E.C.T.R.E.   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRat:
I'll be standing duty on Christmas. Don't worry, I'm not complaining-- I volunteered. [Smile]

The only thing I can complain about is that snopes is firewalled on the NIPRNET... grumble grumble.

Anyway, wish me luck that it's a quiet Christmas with no accidents, no suicides, and no domestic violence. [Big Grin]

Good luck with that last one Marine! Here's hoping for no DUIs as well.

--------------------
"SPECTRE's a dedicated fraternity whose strength lies in the absolute integrity of its members."

- Blofeld

Posts: 186 | From: Safely back at my Norfolk, VA evil lair | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to work @ 9am today & got off @ 1 b/c my big boss didn't want me to call anymore customers for the service survey & my manager said I could leave since it was slow...guess a lot of people aren't getting locked out today [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday (the 25th) was one of my busiest days of recent memory. I finally crashed at about 1 AM. But it's back to work now!
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
senshisteph

Icon 1 posted      Profile for senshisteph   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Spent yesterday doing the big end-of-year clean at work. I work at a buddhist temple kindergarten so we weren't even allowed to mention the C-word...
But it was the last day today - now I'm on holiday for 2 weeks - yay!

Phoned my family last night, 3pm their time, midnight mine. My 7-year-old neice answered, we chatted a little and then she passed the phone to my sister. As she handed it over I heard her say "Mum, it's Aunty Stephanie. She's speaking ENGLISH!". Aww, bless - guess she thought I'd gone native!

--------------------
七転び八起き
nana korobi ya oki
'fall down seven times, get up eight.'

Posts: 155 | From: Nagoya, Japan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by senshisteph:
I work at a buddhist temple kindergarten so we weren't even allowed to mention the C-word...

That's unusual. My son went to a Buddhist temple daycare for many years and I was, for some of that time, the head of the parents' association. I'd never heard that they minded the mere mention of Christmas. (But I guess it's different when you're working there.)
WildaBeast

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
quote:
Originally posted by senshisteph:
I work at a buddhist temple kindergarten so we weren't even allowed to mention the C-word...

That's unusual. My son went to a Buddhist temple daycare for many years and I was, for some of that time, the head of the parents' association. I'd never heard that they minded the mere mention of Christmas. (But I guess it's different when you're working there.)
I find that unusual as well. I'd always though the Buddhism was fairly accepting of practices from other religions.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I worked the 24th, 25th, and 26th. I haven't had Christmas (or really any other holiday for that matter) off in quite a few years but that doesn't bother me because I wouldn't do anything if I had the day off.
Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages