snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Stop me before I eat again!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stop me before I eat again!
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My friend in L.A. just sent me a 2 pound box of See's candy. Plus my neighbor just handed me a Hefty bag full of home made chocolate chip walnut cookies and tin full of fudge.

for the past 2 hours it has been a freakin' chocolate orgy around here. This is almost (just almost) my least favorite thing about the holidays, since I have no self control when it comes to this stuff. If there are sweets in the house, I will eat them 'til I am sick. It doesn't help that my doctor just had to put me on blood pressure medicine due to weight gain.

I'd put this in "Rantidote", except it would seem rather churlish. People are just showing their love through offerings of food. I just wish I wouldn't try to eat all that love at once!

Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
mm...chocolate orgy...

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ya know, I'm not that far from Ohio... I mean, I could drive there, I'm sure. If you need help with the next onslaught of chocolate, give me a call... I drive fast. [Big Grin]

My friend in Alaska sent me an "Alaska Box". Yeah, the candy is almost gone and we got the box yesterday.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Algae
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Algae   Author's Homepage   E-mail Algae   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, I'm only about 3 hours from Columbus...I could make it there.

Mmm...chocolate

--------------------
Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Don't drink and derive!

Posts: 1957 | From: Southeast Michigan | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Snopesters chocolate meet! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you need a FedEx # to ship some to me???

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JoFo
Joy to the world, the Wii has come.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoFo   E-mail JoFo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You really need help here. I know, you could mail all of that nasty chocolate to me!! [Smile]

On a serious note, when I have a boatload of sweets in my house and I need to stop myself from eating them, I go brush my teeth. That'll do a decent job of detering me from eating, because I don't want to undo my teeth cleaning.

--------------------
I'm not paranoid, I'm just surrounded by enemies!

Posts: 420 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChildofMusic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChildofMusic   E-mail ChildofMusic   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm usually fine around the holidays. Then again, this chocolate allergy is a fine deterrant. [Smile] Of course, when my loved ones start sending me sugar cookies and peanut brittle...That's when I'm in trouble.

--------------------
- ChildofMusic

"Music is one of the fairest and most glorious gifts of God." -Martin Luther

Posts: 231 | From: Somewhere up in Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa   Author's Homepage   E-mail SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I could drive really fast and be there in about 3 hours. As a confessed Chocoholic I am always up for a Chocolate Orgy!

CHOCOLATE! CHOCOLATE! CHOCOLATE!

--------------------
You have the Right to Remain Silent. Anything you say CAN and WILL be twisted around, taken out of Context and used against you.

All we need is love and beer. Old school metal and some holiday cheer to be happy.

Posts: 711 | From: Bowling Green, KY/ WKU | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jocko's Jolly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jocko's Jolly   E-mail Jocko's Jolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know what you mean. I jsut discovered this week that the new girl at the salon (she started there during the couple of years I wasn't working) is a fantastic baker! She's constantly bringing in a new platter full of cookies and fudge and all kinds of creations. Plus all the clients bringing by the goodies. I keep filling up the platter sitting ont he coffee table in the reception area and we're still getting backed up in the kitchen!

Plus I'm giving gift baskets with muffins or cookies, so I'm baking away myself! And, of course, one must taste one's own creations to make sure no mistakes were made. And have a second one to make sure the first wasn't just a fluke. And a third to, um, uh, oh heck, I'm just having it because it's yummy! [lol]

--------------------
Like every good third-in-a-series it contains a whole load of ewoks, ‘Clubber’ Lang, whey-faced Sophia Coppola, Sean Connery as the Pirate Captain’s estranged dad, a crappy CGI alien, and Richard Pryor on a donkey. -- Gideon Defoe

Posts: 2211 | From: Harford County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To give myself a break from all the chocolate, I just ate half a jar of peanut butter... with a spoon. I ate the other half yesterday.

That can't be healthy.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
happyholidaysfrog
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happyholidaysfrog   Author's Homepage   E-mail happyholidaysfrog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, tell me about it. I have been on a baking spree this week. I made a ton of pecan and walnut stickey buns and I've made cookies, chocolate chip pecan and gingerbread, and then today I made divinity, I made three kinds of rice crispie treats, I have two dozen turtles waiting for a chocolate bath tomorrow and two dozen caramels (not too soft, not too chewy) wrapped up and waiting to go in goodie boxes. I think I've been on an almost all sugar diet for a couple of days now.

I love the holidays but I'm ready for them to be over!

--------------------
~All we see or seem is but a dream within a dream~
E.A.Poe

Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
~James Dean~

Posts: 516 | From: Anderson, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Em:
To give myself a break from all the chocolate, I just ate half a jar of peanut butter... with a spoon. I ate the other half yesterday.

That can't be healthy.

Definitely not. I'd venture a guess that the peanuts were long dead. But you're right - it probably wasn't very healthful [Smile] sorry!

Maple"Grammar nerd"Leaf

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Healthy:
adj., Conducive to good health

[Smile] Sorry!
Em "Misapplied pedantry nerd."

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Moth Drone
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moth Drone   E-mail Moth Drone   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My workplace is where I actually get killed with the goodie overload. Yesterday, employees brought in two different types of pie, a super chocolate cake, candy cane-shaped cookies, two different boxes of chocolates and yogurt covered pretzels...and we only have about 20 employees and most everyone had already left for the holidays.

I came home and saw my husband cooking me a wonderful dinner. I was mostly able to push it around my plate. It was yummy but every bite I forced myself to take because I was waaaaay to full to be eating again.

Posts: 182 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Today I'm going to make peanut butter balls.

Dipped in chocolate.

Double recipe.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Heroic Muse, Catfish Lover
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heroic Muse, Catfish Lover   Author's Homepage   E-mail Heroic Muse, Catfish Lover   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's what I do when I have things that are "not on my diet" lying around the house:

1) Put most of it away on a high shelf, behind other things, and leave out only a few pieces. That way I eat a reasonable amount instead of the whole thing.

2) When I am tempted to eat more than a proper portion, picture clearly how I'm going to feel if i get through the holiday time and lose weight and how I'll feel if I find I've gained weight during the holiday. That keeps me on track.

3) If all else fails, give the sweets away--to friends, family, or whomever (I've heard of people giving them to food banks, but I've never actually done so.) If it's not around, I'll stop thinking about it.

Heroic "lost 21 pounds over the past three months" Muse

--------------------
Elsie Worthing and the Hydra's Curse
Can one small girl overcome the darkness within to thrive at Hogwarts?
http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/viewstory.php?sid=57042
In memory of David Newton (1962-2006)

Posts: 689 | From: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auntie Witch
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Heh. All this week I've been feeling ill. I assumed it was the flu that's been going around, until I paused during lunch to peruse the piece of cake and cookies I'd grabbed, and the cup of Campbell's Soup-in-hand that I've been having as my lunches for the past two or three weeks.

Calories in the average cup of soup: 100

Calories in the average cookie (I'm guessing here): 100

Average number of cookies I've been having with my lunch: (Do I have to admit the number?)

No wonder I've been feeling ill! [fish]

--------------------
"Feel my head! I feel like a puppy!" -My mother
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Myspace about my mom, kids

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 603 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not chocolate, rosettes have been my binge item this year. Traditionally my friend and I get together and make rosettes and split them. Now usually I eat more than I should and end up with maybe just enough for my intended targets. I have to have them on xmas day or my sister and nieces would kill me. This year I had two jobs to take them to so I figured I better make more. Knowing I was going to make another full batch, I ate rosettes and ate them. Then I looked at the bottom of the brown paper shopping bag and saw a scant layer left. Omigod! I nearly ate a half recipe of rosettes all by myself!

Thank goodness xmas calories don't count!

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages