snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Florida-fresh Grapefruit! *drool* YUM!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Florida-fresh Grapefruit! *drool* YUM!
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 23 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mmm...my mom's school was selling boxes of citrus fruits fresh-picked and flown in from Florida as a fundraiser. She bought a box of 20 grapefruit for $24. It's for a good cause. But also they are insanely, amazingly, unbelievably delicious! My grandmother had a grapefruit tree in her backyard in Florida, but that was when I was really little. I'd forgotten how amazing fresh-picked Florida grapefruit are. Waaaay better than what I can find the the grocery store.

Mmm!

(Okay, I think I have touted grapefruit for long enough. But they're just sooooooo good.)

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
LMT, I've bought that fruit from a girl at my church, and I was highly dissappointed when she graduated and was not selling it anymore nor was I approached by anyone else.

That fruit is FABULOUS. Really much better than what you generally find at the store, as you say. I'd put it on a par with Harry and David. I've never had H&D grapefruit though (only the pears) so it might be even better.

If any snopesters are approached with kids selling this fruit, I recommend it.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know just what you're talking about LeaflessMapleTree and snapdragonfly. My friends have retired and have a winter home in Florida. Last year they brought me back some fresh grapefruit that grows on a tree belonging to their neighbor. The neighbor likes the tree but gives the fruit away. Best.grapefruit.I.ever.had!

When I lived in California, I was given huge beautiful lemons from a Santa Monica friend's tree. I thought she was giving me too many, but I was so sad when they were gone. You could eat those lemons by hand they were so good-tasting.

Nothing beats fresh when it comes to citrus!

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just heard on the news this morning that Florida citrus has canker and so their fruit is not being allowed into other citrus producing states. No sweet Florida grapefruit coming here. [Frown]

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was in the marching band in high school we sold those boxes of fruit every year for our fundraiser. The naval oranges were absolutely amazing, and the grapefruit were quite good as well.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We got a box of grapefruit and oranges from a friend of the family. Yum... I don't like grapefruit much but these oranges are huge and delicious! Mmmmm...

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages