snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Trembling Fingers... What Does It Mean?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Trembling Fingers... What Does It Mean?
DesertRat
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
First off, let me apologize for not posting much lately... we just completed a major exercise in Yuma that was eating up pretty much all of my time. I'm back in NC now, but we're kneedeep in predeployment prep, so I probably won't have much more free time even though I'm home for a little while... sorry. [Frown] I feel like I'm abandoning my snopes family...

Anyway, for those who have some degree of medical savvy, I was hoping you could offer some quick wisdom. I'd like to get some informed opinions BEFORE I address the issue with Navy Medical, and start that whole spool-ex. My situations deals with my hands--specifically, my right hand. This is the first time in my life I've had this problem--it started infrequently (every few days), but now it happens almost every day, sometimes several times a day.

The problem: for the past, oh, six weeks or so, my right ring finger has been having very short (anywhere from 1-10 seconds, varies every time) involuntary trembling spasms, in which it...well, trembles rapidly and uncontrollably. A few days ago, my right index finger also did this, though this was the only time.

I have been attributing this solely to stress, and hadn't given it a second thought until today, when one of my Marines informed me that trembling appendages is a sign of early Parkinsons.

Now, before I start spooling, I'm sure there can be a million others causes for this, but I'm not the most adept at medical research, especially online.

Sooo... does anyone out there have any suggestions on what else this may be? Is this nothing to worry about, or do I need to get this checked? Any wisdom y'all can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much! [Smile]

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ir could be any number of things and others may have opinions. But I think the best option is to get it checked as soon as you can.

And keep safe. I always think about you when I see stuff about military. I assure you, it's good thoughts for your safety [Smile]

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auntie Witch
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a student who did this non-stop, and it was due to stress, so don't panic just yet. In her case, there was a pressure point in the underside of her wrist that she could press to make it stop. I discovered it by accident one day, and told her parents. They got her an anti-nausea wristband to wear with the bump on that spot, and the trembling was controlled, but it never did go away that school year.

--------------------
"Feel my head! I feel like a puppy!" -My mother
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Myspace about my mom, kids

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MissBethie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissBethie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always find that after heavy lifting or carrying something for a while that my hands tremble a bit and I have spasms in my fingers as well. I do have early onset arthritis though and I know that its just from the exertion that was put on the joint. It usually stops after a few seconds or minutes. I sometimes have to shake out my hands a bit to make my fingers relax better.

If it seems like it isn't merely from exertion or stress, or if you just want to put your mind at ease, getting it checked out just in case would be the best thing that you can do.

--------------------
"Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they?" --the Scarecrow

"The Christian Right is neither."

Posts: 72 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It could be stress. It also could be a pinched nerve. Nerves can do strange things when pressed just so. Have you injured/strained/sprained/pinched any part of your arm from your neck to your fingers? Carry anything regularly on that shoulder that could cause pressure?

I would still talk to a doctor though.

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Salamander

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Salamander   E-mail Salamander   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Eaten any bananas recently? Magnesium deficieny can cause muscle spasms (Googling 'muscle' 'tremors' 'magnesium' turns up a heap of info). Bananas are a pretty decent source of magnesium as are dried pumpkin seeds. Of course you could also just take a supplement instead.

Not that I'm suggesting you load up on magnesium-rich food immediately, it is something I'd definitely research first and speak to a medical practionier before doing anything.

ETF: spelling.

--------------------
"victory thru self-deception"

Posts: 2211 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lulu

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lulu   E-mail Lulu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Salamander:
Eaten any bananas recently?

Hee hee hee. I just had a vision of millions of Australians with trembling fingers, desperate for banana prices to drop back to normal [Smile]

--------------------
"What I do not understand is why it makes a difference how the goat is exposed." ~ Rhiandmoi

Posts: 2153 | From: Northern NSW, Australia | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cinnamon
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cinnamon   Author's Homepage   E-mail Cinnamon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I get tremors occasionally - sometimes it's so bad I can't write, but that never lasts long. I've been getting them for years and saw a doctor about it when I was at uni. He said it can be (and thinks it is in my case) a form of muscle imbalance which a lot of people have but don't normally notice because the tremors are so minor. It just so happened I was feeling stressed as well which was probably why it was more pronounced.

But I would certainly recommend getting checked out by a doctor. As people have said, there can be many reasons for tremors it's just that Parkinson's is best known.

--------------------
My blog - a continuing obsession with my weight plus much randomness
My opinions on books, music, and other stuff

Posts: 845 | From: Gloucestershire, UK | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Menolly
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Menolly   E-mail Menolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
DesertRat, you said you just finished a major execise. Bet you stressed something; something's now out of alignment and pinching a nerve. I usually notice tingling in my fingers when that happens; the twitch happens when I have my hand in the same position for a while (like using a mouse).

Ditto the sentiments on taking care of yourself and staying safe. I greatly appreciate our Service people too.

--------------------
Let's just pretend we're normal for a minute ~ New favorite T-shirt quote

Posts: 1193 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I inheirited shaky hands from my father. I usually get the worst shakes when my wrists are tired or strained. I wear a brace when it gets really bad for a prolongued period and that helps.

Neither of us had shaky hands as children, but rather developed them as we became teenagers- more writing, typing, stress, and joining the workforce causes it, I think. So maybe there's a particular activity that you're doing that's causing it?

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Dave
Frosty the Pitchman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dr. Dave     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You're taking medical advice from a Marine? (j/k) [fish] <-- for me.

Seriously though, while trembling appendages can be an early sign of Parkinson, you are describling spasms isolated to individual muscle groups, not trembling of the whole hand.

Anyway, given your situation, have you been drinking a lot of coffee recently? The caffeine twitches can be very isolated. Also, anything that could have compressed or irritated either a nerve or or artery higher up in your arm- near the elbow or biceps, such as sleeping on a hard surface in the field, lifting, carrying, hand-to-hand combat training, etc. (Sorry, I don't know what your duties or training were, but you get the idea,) or in the wrist?

All of that said, this is of course general information- I don't even have a 4 minute video of you to use for my diagnosis. If it was a nerve iritation, it should improve unless you keep experiencing repeated "trauma." But if it progresses any, given that you will soon be deployed, it would probably be best to get it checked out state-side.

Godspeed to you and your comrades.

Posts: 400 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with the others, get it checked out, it's probably related to an irritated nerve.

It could also be something called benign Essential Tremor. Usually if it is ET the tremor will happen when you are trying to do something. Like for me if I am trying to push the button on the garage door opener my hand will tremble. If the tremor gets more pronounced with exertion, I am told that is a pretty good sign that it is not Parkinson's, since Parkinson's tremors are resting tremors and get worse as the muscle relaxes. It could also be benign Fasiculation Syndrome. Which is twitches in voluntary muscle groups. ET and BFS are both irritating, but neither lead to any kind of fatal condition. But the trick is getting the tremor to do its thing in front of the doctor so they can see what kind of movement it has.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Rhiandmoi, Essential Tremor sounds from your brief description like what my dad and I have, which freaked me out because I thought it said essential Tumor at first.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I also vote with the temporary nerve problem. The thing with nerves is, they can get better on their own, but sometimes don't. Sometimes they get worse. A doctor should be able to help you sort it out. The last you want is to end up with any permanent damage.

I am not a doctor and I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. But I do have a bit of permanent nerve damage in my hands, and familial temors. So don't end up with any permanent damage, and see the doc. And I second godspeed to you and your comrades.

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThornyWreath
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThornyWreath   E-mail ThornyWreath   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ThistleSoftware:
Rhiandmoi, Essential Tremor sounds from your brief description like what my dad and I have, which freaked me out because I thought it said essential Tumor at first.

/Ah-nold voice
"It's not a Toom-ah!"
/Ah-nold voice off

Ok, nothing to see here, move along [fish]

DR, I hope you're doing ok, and good luck with the upcoming deployment.

--------------------
A little glitter can turn your whole day around.--Junie B. Jones

Engine 3:16

Posts: 1456 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BoKu

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoKu   Author's Homepage   E-mail BoKu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had symptoms very similar to those a couple months ago, and it did scare me spitless (still does). So I understand your concern.

What did it for me was dialing back on the caffeine and avoiding as much stress as I reasonably could.

Good luck on your deployment, and keep us posted!

Bob "BoKu" K.

Posts: 2079 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not a doctor of course but I would suspect carpal tunnel syndrom, especially is you spent a lot of extra time on the computer recently.

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages