snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Unhijackable New Year (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Unhijackable New Year
glisp42
I'm Dreaming Of A White iPod

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glisp42   Author's Homepage   E-mail glisp42   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That reminds me, when I was visiting the family over Thanksgiving I found a picture my grandmother had taken of a Peregrine falcon eating a Blue Jay.

I thought that was pretty cool.

--------------------
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK" and other lingo mean?

And we'll collect the moments one by one I guess that's how the future's done. -Feist

Posts: 1641 | From: Kansas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa   Author's Homepage   E-mail SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That sounds pretty sick to me glisp. But to each his own.

--------------------
You have the Right to Remain Silent. Anything you say CAN and WILL be twisted around, taken out of Context and used against you.

All we need is love and beer. Old school metal and some holiday cheer to be happy.

Posts: 711 | From: Bowling Green, KY/ WKU | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I went way over my Christmas CD limit this year but only 5 of the 7 I bought were for my family. The other 2 are gifts. I got:

-Now That's What I Call Christmas 3 (I wanted the Judy Garland 'Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas'
-A Pier1 Christmas CD [Can't remember the title] (I wanted Bryan Adams 'Christmas Time')
-A Muppet Christmas (12 Days of Christmas- 'Nuf said!)
-A Care Bear Christmas
-Celtic Women Christmas

They were all 50% off & some only started at $4.75 so those were some cheap CDs!! Go me!!

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, we had a very successful Boxing Day. Our new mail carrier is about seventy and I took her in three rounds.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glisp42
I'm Dreaming Of A White iPod

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glisp42   Author's Homepage   E-mail glisp42   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Y almost OMANK!

--------------------
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK" and other lingo mean?

And we'll collect the moments one by one I guess that's how the future's done. -Feist

Posts: 1641 | From: Kansas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NorthernLite
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorthernLite     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago, G.R.I.T.S.:
Lainie, You really don't have to "tit for tat" where gifts are concerned.

I strongly believe in "tit for tat" when it comes to presents. I have been industriously handing out tats all year.

--------------------
You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons. -Blazing Saddles

Posts: 1074 | From: High Level, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jocko's Jolly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jocko's Jolly   E-mail Jocko's Jolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barbara:
In just about an hour, snopes is going to quietly slip into our living room in search of the cats. On the off chance that they really are briefly granted the power of speech at midnight on Christmas Eve, he wants to be present to hear what they have to say, a situation which year after year results in his sneaking into whatever room where the moggies are in hopes of catching them whispering secrets to one another. I've told him it's pointless in that even if they ever did say anything, all they'd do is ask to be fed more often or perhaps make some derogatory comment on the state of the litter box.

One of these years, me and a tape recorder are going to have ourselves a great deal of fun.

Barbara "sell sirius... buy alcatel" Mikkelson

Now, I'm not encouraging such shenanigans, but if someone WERE to pull such a trick and that person WERE to want to be most successful, that person should find a couple of people that Snopes has never spoken to (especially not on the telephone) and ask them to record the voices.

You didn't get this advice from me... [Wink]

--------------------
Like every good third-in-a-series it contains a whole load of ewoks, ‘Clubber’ Lang, whey-faced Sophia Coppola, Sean Connery as the Pirate Captain’s estranged dad, a crappy CGI alien, and Richard Pryor on a donkey. -- Gideon Defoe

Posts: 2211 | From: Harford County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Me and my newest nephew, Murphy (and my newest niece, Grayce, can be seen on the pagoda roof to the left).

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa   Author's Homepage   E-mail SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr:
Roadie, good Lord! That sounds terrible!

And the "explosion" wasn't anything, apparently. At least nothing visible. I've got 30 minutes left at work, then I'm hightailing it on home to find out what happened.

I think I finally know what your explosion was AnglRdr. I read tonight in the City Paper that there was an electrical arc in a vault underneath the Capitol. You can read the an article here. And another one here.

--------------------
You have the Right to Remain Silent. Anything you say CAN and WILL be twisted around, taken out of Context and used against you.

All we need is love and beer. Old school metal and some holiday cheer to be happy.

Posts: 711 | From: Bowling Green, KY/ WKU | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On Christmas day, I was reading a recipe and walking from the kitchen into the hallway, heading for the dining room. What no one had told me is that they had put a table leaf across the doorway as an additional baby gate because we only have two. I tripped over it at mid-shin level never knowing what had happened. I have scraped the skin off from mid-shin to the top of my feet, bruised and skinned both knees, bruised my left shoulder, and to top it all off my left pinky finger was dislocated. There was blood pouring down my legs. I am sore all over and on top of all that I have a cold and have to work today.

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Graeybeard
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Graeybeard   E-mail Graeybeard   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Saw this on a license plate holder yesterday on my way home from work:

"When I'm good, I'm good
When I'm bad, I'm better"

Chuckled a bit when I read it. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"It matters not, the size of dot, what colour skin, or paper thin;
What matters more, to set the score; the heart within, and spirit kin." PLH 2006

Posts: 25 | From: Burbank, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graeybeard:

"When I'm good, I'm good

Classic Mae West--did they credit her?

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RangerDog:
On Christmas day, I was reading a recipe and walking from the kitchen into the hallway, heading for the dining room. What no one had told me is that they had put a table leaf across the doorway as an additional baby gate because we only have two. I tripped over it at mid-shin level never knowing what had happened. I have scraped the skin off from mid-shin to the top of my feet, bruised and skinned both knees, bruised my left shoulder, and to top it all off my left pinky finger was dislocated. There was blood pouring down my legs. I am sore all over and on top of all that I have a cold and have to work today.

Ouch!1 that is quite a tumble, RD. Hope you are feeling better

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's been 616.5 hours since I smoked, but who's counting? [Smile] I really wasn't needing all this new board stress. [lol]

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yay Tagurit! Nice work.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Good for you, Tag!!!11!!!11!!!

RangerDog - OUCH! How are you doing now? I bet you're still hurting quite a bit. *hug*

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bored and Dangerous
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bored and Dangerous   Author's Homepage   E-mail Bored and Dangerous   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got the best Christmas present ever when I went to my parents' house. They gave me a car! A car! Not a brand new one, but a 2000 Ford Focus with around 60K miles on it that runs nicely. No strings attached, either. What a Christmas!

--------------------
My blog

Watch?? I'm gonna pray, man! Know any good religions?--Zaphod Beeblebrox

Posts: 2366 | From: Harrisonburg, Virginia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bored and Dangerous:
I got the best Christmas present ever when I went to my parents' house. They gave me a car! A car! Not a brand new one, but a 2000 Ford Focus with around 60K miles on it that runs nicely. No strings attached, either. What a Christmas!

Very nice! [Big Grin] Take care of it, and it'll last ya a while.

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms. Kringle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms. Kringle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm having a "my baby's not a baby anymore!" moment here.

We got our twelve year old daughter a nice 2GB iPod Nano for Christmas. Not to mention, an iTunes gift card. She? Could use it straight out of the box. Didn't need to read the instructions.

Well, we checked in with the Cingular store last night, and got her a cell phone, and added her to our plan. It's cheaper in the long run than pay as you go wireless (if she goes over our minutes, I will simply separate her from her phone, and maybe her head from her body, too), and it makes sense since she is always going places with her friends, and I'd like to be able to keep tabs on her.

She doesn't know about the phone yet. But, I am having an overwhelming desire to sniffle and sob over the fact that she's growing up. I mean, didn't we just celebrate her very first Christmas as a four month old baby? And now we've gotten her a cell phone?

Time is flying waaaaay too fast!

--------------------
Beware corporate zombies! They will purchase your brain on E-Bay!

Posts: 2310 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glass papaya
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glass papaya   E-mail glass papaya   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hear you, Ms. Kringle. I'll bring some chocolate over and sniffle and sob with you. [Smile]
Posts: 544 | From: Onalaska, WI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms. Kringle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms. Kringle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Glad to know I'm not alone, glass papaya.

Damn, this is really depressing!

*goes off to get more chocolate*

--------------------
Beware corporate zombies! They will purchase your brain on E-Bay!

Posts: 2310 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tzarina
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tzarina     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hear ya, too Ms.K

The Peanut didn't squeal over her gifts this year. She'd just open them and say "Sweet". She's only six. I have to admit after gift opening, I went into the kitchen and felt sad for a while.

Posts: 1359 | From: Akron, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The First USA Noel

quote:
Originally posted by Ms. Kringle:
I'm having a "my baby's not a baby anymore!" moment here.

We got our twelve year old daughter a nice 2GB iPod Nano for Christmas. Not to mention, an iTunes gift card. She? Could use it straight out of the box. Didn't need to read the instructions.

Well, we checked in with the Cingular store last night, and got her a cell phone, and added her to our plan. It's cheaper in the long run than pay as you go wireless (if she goes over our minutes, I will simply separate her from her phone, and maybe her head from her body, too), and it makes sense since she is always going places with her friends, and I'd like to be able to keep tabs on her.

She doesn't know about the phone yet. But, I am having an overwhelming desire to sniffle and sob over the fact that she's growing up. I mean, didn't we just celebrate her very first Christmas as a four month old baby? And now we've gotten her a cell phone?

Time is flying waaaaay too fast!

If you think this is bad wait until she graduates. My momma sobbed for a week when I graduated. Mainly because I was her first child, but also because her "baby" was growing up. She actually sobbed when two of my other brothers graduated as well. I hate to think what will happen when my youngest brother (15) graduates.

--------------------

FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ms. K, I'm there. My baby... my baby is 13 and a half! And a half! Not to mention her older sister graduates from high school this year and her older brother is almost driving age.

We got the oldest a cell phone this Christmas as well. It was a huge battle with the spouse to get him to allow it. And same with us- we just added her to our plan because when we broke down the numbers, it was cheaper.

Frog-and we can add up to two more phones!-Feathers [Frown]

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Graeybeard
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graeybeard   E-mail Graeybeard   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker:
quote:
Originally posted by Graeybeard:

"When I'm good, I'm good

Classic Mae West--did they credit her?

Seaboe

You're right, it is. Love her quotes. [Smile]

And no, there was no credit to her on the license plate holder.

GB

--------------------
"It matters not, the size of dot, what colour skin, or paper thin;
What matters more, to set the score; the heart within, and spirit kin." PLH 2006

Posts: 25 | From: Burbank, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tagurit:
It's been 616.5 hours since I smoked, but who's counting? [Smile] I really wasn't needing all this new board stress. [lol]

Yay you! I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier!

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice, tag. I'll live everyone. The cold kind of makes the other oowies not hurt as bad..

See you all on the new board.

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 22 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, everyone! You ok, RD? :fret fret fret:
quote:
tag, there must be something in the water because I just went to amazon.com and bought a Mario Lanza christmas CD, "Christmas with Mario Lanza" - the one with "Guardian Angels" on it. I also ordered the one with "The Student Prince" and "The Desert Song" music on it. I have a lot of his opera recordings and some things I downloaded (Legally. I paid for them.) but not that particular music.

That's the one I ordered, "Christmas with Mario Lanza," with "Guardian Angels (with Harpo Marx on Harp?!?)" on it! [lol] And it came today. It was on the porch when I came home. I'm converting it to mp3 format right now.

--------------------
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Simply Madeline
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Simply Madeline     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For those who missed this announcement, there's a new board in town.

Give it a whirl...

Posts: 763 | From: Chicago | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 02 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Simply Madeline:

Give it a whirl...

Are you getting much of a bounty for killing the last of the threads or just doing it for kicks?

--------------------
---
AAMAH

Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Thanks, everyone! You ok, RD? :fret fret fret:
quote:
tag, there must be something in the water because I just went to amazon.com and bought a Mario Lanza christmas CD, "Christmas with Mario Lanza" - the one with "Guardian Angels" on it. I also ordered the one with "The Student Prince" and "The Desert Song" music on it. I have a lot of his opera recordings and some things I downloaded (Legally. I paid for them.) but not that particular music.

That's the one I ordered, "Christmas with Mario Lanza," with "Guardian Angels (with Harpo Marx on Harp?!?)" on it! [lol] And it came today. It was on the porch when I came home. I'm converting it to mp3 format right now.
I guess mine should be here by tomorrow. Hope, hope! I got an e-mail notification that it was shipped on 12/26. I can't wait to hear those songs from "The Student Prince" and "The Desert Song" again.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Simply Madeline
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Simply Madeline     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Simply Madeline:

Give it a whirl...

Are you getting much of a bounty for killing the last of the threads or just doing it for kicks?
?? Not sure what you're getting at ??
Posts: 763 | From: Chicago | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I was going to do the same thing.

There are several people who didn't see the message that the board has moved. Some have thought that they were banned, because they clicked on the snopes community link on the main snopes.com page, which took them to a new board where they couldn't log in. Others who have this page bookmarked and missed the announcement are chatting happily away, not knowing that this board will eventually close.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, I see. Well, I think that's not the case in this thread. I don't see anyone here that's not aware. I thought Mad was just trying to take away the last bit of fun left on this board.

I was feeling a bit like I was looking through the last of my memories left after the area'd been devastated and here comes Madeline in a tank telling me I had to get out of here.

g'night, johnboy....

--------------------
---
AAMAH

Simply Madeline
The First USA Noel

quote:
Ah, I see. Well, I think that's not the case in this thread. I don't see anyone here that's not aware.

I was actually thinking more of people who were reading rather than posting.

But I guess I've learned my lesson about trying to be helpful.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages