snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Unhijackable New Year (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Unhijackable New Year
glisp42
I'm Dreaming Of A White iPod

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glisp42   Author's Homepage   E-mail glisp42   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The joys of being an entrepreneur. I sell on eBay. Basically if I go, the business goes under and I need a new job. Add to that my dog somehow got a puncture wound, I think from playing too rough with one of the other dogs, that's become infected so the left side of his face is all swollen up. I took him to the vet yesterday and got him antibiotics.

Basically it's been a crummy week from the word go.

--------------------
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK" and other lingo mean?

And we'll collect the moments one by one I guess that's how the future's done. -Feist

Posts: 1641 | From: Kansas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NorthernLite
We Three Blings

Icon 602 posted      Profile for NorthernLite     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, Glisp that really sucks. Any chance of getting away a little early and maybe spend Saturday or Christmas Eve with them? If I could I'd be willing to share my family. May be I can send you my idiot BIL.

--------------------
You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons. -Blazing Saddles

Posts: 1074 | From: High Level, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glisp42

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glisp42   Author's Homepage   E-mail glisp42   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No but I just talked to my Dad and we're going to do a small Christmas celebration with him and his SO when they get back from Wichita so it's not a complete loss. I'm actually feeling a lot better about it now that I've ranted about it and talked to my Dad about it. Thanks for letting me rant about it. You guys are awesome.

And you can keep your idiot BIL. If he's as idiotic as you say he is, I might have to murder him in his sleep but if you send him down here for the express purpose of being murdered in his sleep I won't do it just to spite you! [Razz]

--------------------

And we'll collect the moments one by one I guess that's how the future's done. -Feist

Posts: 1641 | From: Kansas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had no idea selling on eBay would require working on a holiday. Bummer! How much business are you likely to do on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, anyway? And what about New Year's Day? Do you get the weekends off? If any of your family members have a computer, couldn't you take care of any eBay business by using that one?

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NorthernLite
We Three Blings

Icon 602 posted      Profile for NorthernLite     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's good that you'll at least get some holiday time with your family. We'll be thinking of you on Christmas.

--------------------
You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons. -Blazing Saddles

Posts: 1074 | From: High Level, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr S has a 24 hour shift on Christmas Day. A co-worker of his volunteered to stay late on Christmas morning so Mr S could be home to see our girls open their presents. Co-Worker shares custody of his kids and won't see them until the afternoon. He told Mr S he doesn't want them both to miss Christmas morning with their kids! So sweet. It's quite a relief to not worry about taking all the presents over to the station & hoping he's not on a call when we arrive or celebrate on a different day. I'm sending a roast in a crock pot to work with him and hopefully we'll be able to join him for dinner. If not, at least he and his partner will have a decent meal.

Ambulances, like much of the health care field, cannot shut down for holidays!

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had two books to finish last-minute edits on before Christmas, and I vowed to do it. Just sent the second one in.

As for the first...the editor had promised to send me a list of changes, and when she didn't, I called her. She said, quote, "I honestly couldn't find a thing I wanted you to change!"

Heyyyyyy...either I'm a real good writer, or else the office party eggnog was getting warm.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glass papaya
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glass papaya   E-mail glass papaya   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There. Shopping is done, no need to go to the store until Tuesday. Presents are all wrapped and under the tree. House is clean. Mulled cider is simmering on the stove making the house smell really good.

After 20 years I think I finally got it right! Now I can relax!

Posts: 544 | From: Onalaska, WI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Spike's rot's gotten worse, so I went to the local pet store to get more aggressive treatment (Jungle Fungus Eliminator and aquarium salt) and some fresh brine shrimp, because that'll apparently be better for him than pellets while he's sick.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa   Author's Homepage   E-mail SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mickey that sucks. Here's (((Vibes))) for Spike.

Starla that's cool. We have to have our Christmas celebration on Christmas Eve as my brother is on call too. Life never stops for the Emergency Profession does it?

--------------------
You have the Right to Remain Silent. Anything you say CAN and WILL be twisted around, taken out of Context and used against you.

All we need is love and beer. Old school metal and some holiday cheer to be happy.

Posts: 711 | From: Bowling Green, KY/ WKU | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Noemi

Icon 401 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just got the explanation of benefits for my trip to the urgent care clinic to take care of my damaged fingernail. The total cost was $277 and the majority of that was because I would not leave the damaged area alone. I may need to frame it so I remember to not pick at things.

Noemi

--------------------
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
My blog, no guarantees about witty or intelligent content. My current projects.
Coveted Beads <---- our eBay store, new items being added somewhat regularly

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just found out I have "unclaimed funds." Around 270.00. Strangely this is from a company I cannot recall doing business with. Interesting.
This was on the state's website- not a scam thing.

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
the Virgin Marrya
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 503 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As promised, here is the Teensy-tiny Tinsel:

-

[apparently Missy is...not so impressed ...]  -

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa   Author's Homepage   E-mail SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Awww Marrya. She is so cute. Missy looks like the cat from "Cats and Dogs", which means she's pure evil. But know you that's probably not the case.

--------------------
You have the Right to Remain Silent. Anything you say CAN and WILL be twisted around, taken out of Context and used against you.

All we need is love and beer. Old school metal and some holiday cheer to be happy.

Posts: 711 | From: Bowling Green, KY/ WKU | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Aw, Tinsel is a cutie. I love Missy's cranky expression, too. I still haven't posted a pic of our little Cheeto, but he looks very much like Puss from Shrek when he's doing the cute face. Purrs loudly like that, too.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cuteness! I love the name Tinsel too.

I found out that a certain relative of mine will be at my parents' house for Christmas dinner. I think I'll bring my mom's laptop out and just leave it on the snopes page. And whenever this realitive speaks, I'll just type in the keywords and say, "Uh, no... it isn't true..." or "Kinda true, inaccurate description..." Because this relative doesn't seem to care that I know this stuff just from being here. At Thanksgiving dinner my oldest said something to this relative and then said, "My mom knows it, she's a snopester." Of course, I had to explain what a snopester was. [Wink]

Frog-Eye learn'd gud stuff heer-Feathers

[fish]

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diehard
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diehard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just thought I would stop by and drop in some utter cuteness!!!

cuteness

--------------------
Daddy "You are my "Special Angel" 1942-1999"

Posts: 440 | From: Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glisp42

I just popped in here to test my new sig line. Move along, nothing to see here.

--------------------

Canuckistan

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Marrya: KITTY!

Kitty kitty kitty kitty kitty!

*ahem*

I meant to say ... KITTY!

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
As for the first...the editor had promised to send me a list of changes, and when she didn't, I called her. She said, quote, "I honestly couldn't find a thing I wanted you to change!"

I want one of those editors for Christmas!

Nonny "should probably find new publisher first..." Mouse

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Noemi

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
KITTY!!!

Marrya, Tisel is adorable! Is Misty a Persian or a Himalayan? She has that perpetually irritated look that push faced cats have.

Noemi "and by the way KITTY!!!"

--------------------
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
My blog, no guarantees about witty or intelligent content. My current projects.
Coveted Beads <---- our eBay store, new items being added somewhat regularly

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Aw, kitty!

Two things overheard this weekend with BeanSprout:

Lizzy: Nicholas! Don't put the pizza on your head!

Then this morning was "Christmas":
Lizzy: Did Santa come?
Nicholas: No.
Lizzy: Are you sure? Go look!
Nicholas: (from the living room) No, he didn't- PRESENTS! MAMA! I GOT PRESENTS!

[Smile]

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by diehard:
Just thought I would stop by and drop in some utter cuteness!!!

cuteness

That is just about the cutest thing I've ever seen! It would make a great card.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How old is Nicholas now, Lizzy and/or Chillas?

What did Santa get him? My boy is 6, and all he wanted was Star Wars stuff. He has a stuffed Darth Vader he can't sleep without, he cuddles it. And I'm all, isn't he like, a mass murderer?

Even worse, they sleep right next to the TV room and I constantly jump when I hear the Darth Vader breathing. And it's just him rolling over on the damn thing.

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
ETA: Damn you all and your cats! I love cats and I'm severely allergic and I want one so bad!

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Awwww, Marrya, KittyKittyKittyKittyKitty! Tinsel looks just like my Zoe did when she was little, except Zoe has white toes and a little white necklace.

And diehard, the sleeping Santa/baby are just too cute for words.

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 203 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
I had two books to finish last-minute edits on before Christmas, and I vowed to do it. Just sent the second one in.

Of course, that'll be the first thing you tell your new students next semester!

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I met somebody today whose aunt I could have been.

She's the two-year-old daughter of my ex-boyfriend's sister, and was at the mall with her father when my mom and I stopped by to pick up a couple of last-minute gifts. Cute kid--got the same big brown eyes and long, thick lashes that used to make my heart go kerthump on her uncle.

I know that my breakup from her uncle was for the best (he turned out to be gay...) and it's long in the past, but sometimes old hurts just kinda sneak up on you when you least expect it.

Ah, well. I'll get to see the kids whose aunt I actually am in just a few days, and the youngest girl has my eyes!

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nonny, I feel you. I sometimes still think about the niece and nephew of a man I broke up with 20+ years ago, and what they would have grown up to be like.

Our neighbors stopped by tonight to drop off gifts for us. We have nothing for them. DD feels really bad about it, and I feel a bit of a twinge myself. I'm trying to resist the urge to rush out and get something right away; that always seems so obvious. I was thinking of taking something over after Xmas -- anybody have any thoughts on that, or on the general situation of unintentional one-sided gift-giving?

--------------------

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I usually plan ahead and have a few boxes of chocolate or really nice "boughten" cookie tins wrapped up to give if we are unexpectedly gifted. This year I never even thought of it though!

I'd suggest that you bring over a plate of home-made fudge or other Christmas baking - that way you can say you were waiting to give out gifts til after you'd finished your baking. Well, if you do baking of course!

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
American Eagle is evil. In a shopping way.

I went to get earrings after work today (I was rewarding myself after having an 8 1/2 hour day). And as I went in, I saw that sweater that I got a few months back...on sale. So I had to get it in purple. I couldn't help it!

Oh, and a new cami to go under it.

Evil...but oh-so-good...

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Damnit, Sylvanz! [lol] I'm either loving you or cursing you. I went to amazon.com and bought a Mario Lanza christmas cd, then for some ungodly reason I typed "Christmas" into their search engine under "Music" category. You have any idea how much Christmas music amazon has? I'm on page 34 and I'm fading now. I was putting anything interesting I found in my wish list. I figured I'd buy a few xtras after xmas. I'm closing it up now. I can't look at another version of "Do You Hear What I hear?"

Marrya, Missy reminds me of the evil cat in "Babe."

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 106 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
tag, there must be something in the water because I just went to amazon.com and bought a Mario Lanza christmas CD, "Christmas with Mario Lanza" - the one with "Guardian Angels" on it. I also ordered the one with "The Student Prince" and "The Desert Song" music on it. I have a lot of his opera recordings and some things I downloaded (Legally. I paid for them.) but not that particular music.

--------------------

Lainie

quote:
Originally posted by Christie:
I'd suggest that you bring over a plate of home-made fudge or other Christmas baking - that way you can say you were waiting to give out gifts til after you'd finished your baking. Well, if you do baking of course!

No, sadly, I do not bake. I'd like to do something for them. The families used to be very close, and have grown apart. We've separately had rather rough years, theirs worse than ours. I need to think of something that the whole family could enjoy -- and given one family member's recent behavior, something that can't be pawned. [Frown] Like I said, they've had a rough year.

--------------------

Lydia Oh Lydia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Last night, I went to a nearby local business that has Christmas display with the lights set to music. Basically, you go in your car, tune to a particular station, and then watch the lights. It was so cool!

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages