snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Unhijackable New Year (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Unhijackable New Year
tribrats
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I was angry and very upset. I know I have a bad knee and back. Those didn't bother me nowhere nearly as bad. I don't smoke, I don't drink very often, I don't do drugs. Just about my only weakness in Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. After Hubby went to bed I sat here and let myself have a good cry.

It was kinda interesting at the doctors. I was telling her about the episodes I had and expected to get scolded. I did but not for the reason I expected.

A few days before Thanksgiving I was on the phone with my Sis and started having trouble breathing and started a hacking cough. Sis said it sounded like an asthmatic cough but I shrugged it off. Thanksgiving day I had another episode. I had a very severe case of bronchitis the month before so I thought it was coming back. But I was struggling to breathe and was doing that hacking cough again. I think I was starting to scare Hubby. He said after that my face was a strange reddish-purple.

Sis finally dragged me into the bathroom and opened one of her Albuteral inhalers. Told me I was going to use it and walked me through it. Within a couple minutes I was breathing normally.

I really thought I was going to be spending Thanksgiving in the ER. And that would have sucked. I ended up having 5 more episodes between then and now. The Albuteral has helped each time.

I expected the doctor to scold me for using someone else's medicine. Instead she said Sis did the right thing and scolded me for not coming in immediately. She said Sis hit it right on and indeed I did have asthma. Since the inhaler Sis gave me was still almost full, she said to continue using it for now. She also is having me do a diary about my episodes and use a peak flow meter. I go back in 3 weeks.

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tribrats:
I am not to pleased with my Christmas gift from my doctor. I have officially been diagnosed with asthma. I went in for a back recheck and came out with another diagnosis. It seems every time I go in there is something else.

At least now I am sure why I feel like my chest has been stuffed with cotton at times.

Join the club. I was diagnosed when I was 19 (it took my dating a smoker to really hit me). Depending on how bad it is, it's not so hard to live with. I have to use my inhaler primarily when allergies are in full swing (or when I'm exercising or dusting).

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Tribrats, I used my daughter's inhaler once, and cringed when telling my doc, but like yours, she said I'd done the right thing. My asthma is, fortunately mild. It was quite severe, but never diagnosed, when I was a child (long story).

Advair is da bomb. I'm not on it, because mine is so mild, but DD is, and it has changed her life. She uses her rescue inhaler so rarely now that the struggle is getting her to remember to keep it with her.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We are in the early stages of diagnosing it but so far the triggers seem to be extreme changes in temp (Not good in New Hampshire!) and for some reason laughing hard. I actually suspect the onset isn't as sudden as we think. I've had the problems with the temp changes for years but just thought it was normal. But this year is worse than even the year we were at -25F and I was going out daily.

It just ticks me off because neither Sis or I smoke and neither did our parents. Sis has had it for about 20 years.

You always hear the warnings/threats to never use someone else's meds. So, yeah, I would expect to get yelled at. I am deathly allergic to Erythromycin but didn't know it and was just barely conscious when Hubby called the doctor saying that I was unresponsive and wasn't sure what was going on. I took the Benadryl just fine but still fought Hubby about taking my Son's Claratin (It was still a prescription then.).

--------------------

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got an email from a friend (who sends a bunch of crap emails) that said her daughter needed prayers. She said she has a lump the size of a grapefruit in her uterus. I sent back an email saying I would pray for her.

And then I got to thinking... this is the woman (the duaghter) who faked a pregnancy up to the time when she was due to have the baby (supposed scheduled C-section). Her husband never went with her on a doctor's visit and never noticed that the "baby" wasn't actually a baby.

So now I'm thinking uncharitable thoughts. Is this just another scam? A plea for attention? Or is she really sick.

There was also a event back before the "pregnancy" where she was tracked down by an ex-boyfriend who beat her up and raped her.
She doesn't live here and I only hear this stuff from her mother so I don't know if it happened or if she just told her mother it did.

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Algae
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Algae   Author's Homepage   E-mail Algae   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
tribrats, my mom was diagnosed with asthma a few years ago. She has the hacking cough, but is now controlling it with an inhaler and allergy shots. She started out getting them every week and is now only getting them every 3 weeks.

--------------------
Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Don't drink and derive!

Posts: 1957 | From: Southeast Michigan | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

Thanks so much everyone! I know asthma is very controllable and many people have it (In my extended family to not have it is the exception and not the rule!) I am just allowing myself a couple days of selfish "why me" time. And because the episodes are getting worse with each one, I get frustrated trying to figure out when to use the inhaler. I keep wondering "Should I use it now or is this just a normal cough?" Then I wait to long and have trouble using it because I can't breathe.

ETA: Plus I have seasonal allergies so that threw some confusion in and I wonder if some of the trouble I had at the tail end of my bronchitis were actually allergies, bronchitis or asthma. Or a mix of all three.

--------------------

Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We are in the early stages of diagnosing it but so far the triggers seem to be extreme changes in temp (Not good in New Hampshire!) and for some reason laughing hard.

Laughing hard will set mine off, too. If I'm having a flare-up, I have this wheezy laugh that sounds like the little dog in the Snidely Whiplash cartoons.

--------------------

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

I feel better now knowing that I am in good company. With laughing, it starts off sounding like when a child has croup then progresses to that same wheeze. (And I used to love the Snidely cartoons!)

--------------------

quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Thanks so much everyone! I know asthma is very controllable and many people have it (In my extended family to not have it is the exception and not the rule!) I am just allowing myself a couple days of selfish "why me" time. And because the episodes are getting worse with each one, I get frustrated trying to figure out when to use the inhaler. I keep wondering "Should I use it now or is this just a normal cough?" Then I wait to long and have trouble using it because I can't breathe.

ETA: Plus I have seasonal allergies so that threw some confusion in and I wonder if some of the trouble I had at the tail end of my bronchitis were actually allergies, bronchitis or asthma. Or a mix of all three.

Gee, there's nothing like keeping things interesting, Tribrats.

My ex has asthma that is triggered by an allergy to cats. When I was growing up, we always had cats. So time spent at Mom and Dad's was always a bit difficult for him. We've spent several Christmas Days at the emergency room because he thought he'd be ok. Now that we're divorced, I have cats again. They're less trouble than the ex.

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

You know, Pam, that's just what my Doc says too [lol] ! (I could write a book on the interesting ways I've gotten hurt or stuck!) And we have a couple hypochondriacs in the family so I'm always worried about mentioning something new because I don't want "The Label".

--------------------

Gibbie
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
tribrats you keep mentioning that no one smokes, but smoking doesn't cause asthma. It can make it worse but there's nothing to logically say that if you never smoke you'll never get asthma. I don't smoke, no one in my household smokes but my daughter has it. She inherited it from her dad and grandmother. Neither of them were smokers either. It's just one of those things.

My daughter's asthma had eased for a long time but recently has started to come back. She just got off a course of prednisone that was the first she'd needed since she was little and the doc has her on Singulair. It's a tablet rather than an inhaler and she's thrilled with it. Of course she still has a rescue inhaler but she's happy not to have to use one for maintenance.

Frogfeathers don't fear the short term steroids for asthma. Predinsone really turns the trick on a bad attack and it's rarely prescribed for more than a week.

Gibbie

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
daisyslegs
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisyslegs     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
guru, she soumds a lot like my mother- a liar. My mother has come up with some doozies. Like being stabbed with a broken bottle, cancer, a wide variety of allergies that continually change, car jacked, robbed at gun point, etc.

It sounds a lot like attention getting, but on the chance it isn't, prayes wont hurt.

--------------------
~tough as nails yet nice as pie~
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar.
"and don't threaten anyone with your pants today!" - Frog_Feathers
daisys does Myspace

Posts: 3206 | From: Molalla, OR | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Roadie, Ouch, dammit! That made me cringe and almost get nauseated. Hope it won't hurt too very long. My youngest child did something similar, and it makes me sick to even think about it.

Froggie_Feathers, you said you refused to be put on steroids, but a steroid (fluticasone) is one of the ingredients of Advair. Is an inhaled steroid different than one taken orally or by injection?

guru, maybe you should pray for your friend's daughter whether this is true, or not. It sounds like she does have problems of some kind, either physical or mental, so it couldn't hurt.

tribrats, good luck with getting your meds regulated. It probably won't take very long. I imagine you know this, but when you start having trouble breathing, one thing that helps is to not panic and to try to take deep, slow breaths until you can get to your inhaler. Easy to say, hard to do. My husband uses four different kinds of meds in a nebulizer several times a day. He used Advair and two different kinds of rescue inhalers for quite a while, but now he doesn't have inhalers of any kind. Laughing too hard will also start him coughing at times. He also has acid reflux, with esophageal damage, and the laughing doesn't make him cough so much, now that the reflux is more or less under control and his esophagus has almost healed.

Reading this board, not just this particular thread, makes me wonder how we maintain our sanity. Physical problems, mental problems, cheatin' spouses, mean friends, horrible bosses, we hate fruitcake, we don't like gifts people give us, most everything makes us angry. . .the list goes on and on and on and on and. . .No foolin'. One thing good about it, though, it makes me see that I'm not alone, with my ill husband, my horrible wife-beating first husband, my own physical problems, my own depression, etc.
Okay, all together, now ~ ::group hug::

Love to everyone  - , and I hope things are better for all of us in 2007.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Signora, according to DD's allergist, inhaled steroids do not have the same serious side effects that oral/injected steroids have. I don't know why.

--------------------

Signora Del Drago

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Lainie. I had planned to ask my husband's doctor the next time I see her. I thought as much because a friend who was on steroids gained weight and got horribly puffy looking, but my husband never did. Interesting. Maybe it's because the dosage is lower in inhaled steroids. (?) We've both had prednisone at times, but not for long at a time.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
daisyslegs

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisyslegs     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll jump in on the group hug Signora, I need it!

All the kiddos will be at my place tonight. Christopher's first over nighter since I found him. [Big Grin]

--------------------
~tough as nails yet nice as pie~
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar.
"and don't threaten anyone with your pants today!" - Frog_Feathers
daisys does Myspace

Posts: 3206 | From: Molalla, OR | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Dave
Frosty the Pitchman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dr. Dave     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Inhaled steroids have not much systemic absorption, so you do not get the severe systemic side effects. (Long term use of inhaled steroids by kids may lead to sightly less growth.) Short-term (few days) use of oral steroids like prednisone in "asthma" doses might cause some fluid retention, headache, "mania" and the like, but these go away when the medication is stopped. Long-term (weeks) use of high dose systemic (oral or IV) steroids can cause the severe weight gain, fat redistribution ("hump," round face, etc.)

But anyway, inhaled steroids such as Flovent or Advair (a combo that includes the same med as Flovent) should not cause much in the way of systemic side effects.

ETA: Just in case anyone does not know: the varous anti-inflammatory steroids such as prednisone and all the inhaled steroids are "corticosteroids" which mimic cotisol, a steroid from the same organ but not at all having the same action as anabolic steroids that athletes use/ are not supposed to use.

Posts: 400 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Dave:
(Long term use of inhaled steroids by kids may lead to sightly less growth.)

Hmmm. How would you define "long-term"?

--------------------

tribrats

daisyslegs, that is awesome! I hope everything goes great for you!

Signora, I know what you mean about staying calm. It's hard when your brain is shouting "My kingdom for some air!".

And a great big thanks for everyone telling their experiences. I didn't realize asthma was so common. I sorta feel foolish about complaining but if I hadn't I wouldn't have learned so much about it. And I really appreciate it.

--------------------

Lainie

quote:
Originally posted by Gibbie:
Predinsone really turns the trick on a bad attack and it's rarely prescribed for more than a week.

Five days is what DD's allergist prescribes, and what I was given to clear a recent flareup. The results are fantastic, and I find the side effects minimal and not particularly unpleasant. It clears up any other inflammation you may have, too: my bursitis never felt better!

--------------------

Signora Del Drago

quote:
daisyslegs, that is awesome! I hope everything goes great for you!

Signora, I know what you mean about staying calm. It's hard when your brain is shouting "My kingdom for some air!".

And a great big thanks for everyone telling their experiences. I didn't realize asthma was so common. I sorta feel foolish about complaining but if I hadn't I wouldn't have learned so much about it. And I really appreciate it.

Have fun with your kiddies, daisys!

tribrats, asthma may be very common, but it is also very scary when you are the one who has it. Please, don't feel foolish. I was serious when I mentioned maintaining our sanity. It seems like every time we* turn around, there's somedamnthingelse©, and it helps to vent.

*we = alluvus©

**more hugs for anyone who needs one**

--------------------

Dr. Dave
Frosty the Pitchman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dr. Dave     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:
(Long term use of inhaled steroids by kids may lead to sightly less growth.)

Hmmm. How would you define "long-term"?
Short answer: years, but you can see some in 1 year.

Sorry, I did not mean to open a can of worms. I think this was my first ever post in an unhijackable, and I saw either yours or Signora's post and thought "Hey something in my wheelhouse!" I included the caveat about growth to not give the misperception that there are noside effects.

Anyway, the situation is complicated. To give a quick summary:
1. In most kids, the final adult height is not affected, but in the first couple of years their growth velocity might be slowed- so after say 2 years they might be 1-2 inches shorter than they would have been. They just catch up later. ETA- or maybe after several years are 1 inch shorter than predicted.
2. It depends on the kid, the dose, and the actual steroid, so most experts recommend monitoring height growth every 6 months and if there is a marked deviation in growth rate for age, consider switching or further evaluation.
3. Uncontrolled asthma itself can lead to poor growth, so in fact someone who is well controlled using meds including the inhaled steroid might wind up taller than they would have without. Obviously uncontrolled asthma also has more severe problems that have nothing to do with height.
4. All of this is "population based," so there is no guarentee for an individual child.
5. I do not think that intranasal steroids (e.g. Flonase) have the same issue.

Caveat: all of this is meant to be general information, started by the inocent querry "Why don't inhaled steroids used for asthma cause the chnages that prednisone do?"

Posts: 400 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

The doctor's office just called and they want me to go in for some breathing tests. [sarcasm] Things just seem to be getting better and better [Wink] ! [/sarcasm]

--------------------

Dr. Dave
Frosty the Pitchman

Probably spirometry to quatify what is going on and your response to treatment (albuterol). Really, nothing to it except for the PITA of scheduling/ missing work/ arranging for child care/ etc.
tribrats

Thanks Dr. Dave! I called Hubby and he is going to schedule that morning off so he can get the kids ready for school and stay with Abby. They have it for 7:30 in the morning. I'm just barely conscious then! I'm a night person.

--------------------

Signora Del Drago

And be prepared for a lot of yelling, which makes it harder to do. This may not happen to you, but the woman at the doctors' clinic we use can't just tell you how to do it. Oh, no. She tells you how do to it, then yells loudly the whole time you are exhaling, "Blow out, blow out, blow out." I guess she means exhale but am not sure. Anyway, by the time the thirty seconds or so is up, I feel like hitting her, but I don't. The yelling hurts my brain, or something. I don't react well to excessive noise, and she only needs to tell me once what is expected. I do not require a coach, much less a screaming one.

One other thing, if you feel like you are about to pass out, stop exhaling and take a breath. I don't care what the tester is yelling. It beats hitting your head on the side of the counter on the way down. [lol]

Good luck. It's really not all that bad, it's just that the yelling makes me nervous.

Edited because I forgot to put ETA: here. Duh!

Dr. Dave please do give information. It saves a lot of research time!

Lainie, my mother was all of 5'2" tall, and my Daddy used to sing that song to her.
Five foot two,
Eyes of blue,
Oh what those
Five feet can do!

Somehow, I made it to 5'7", but I've shrunk to 5'6". Oh, well.

All this talk about ashtma made me remember I bought a birthday card for my husband that seemed funny at the time.
Front: "Birthdays are like boogers."
Inside: "The more you have, the harder it is to breathe."
After I got it home and read it again, I realized how awful [Eek!] it was and threw it in the garbage.

--------------------

Lainie

Dr. Dave, don't worry, I won't treat your unhijackable ramblings as diagnosis. And DD's allergist does, in fact, monitor her height at her twice-yearly visits (and whenever she goes in for a flareup).

I'm 5'3/4" -- I reached that height at 12. DD is almost 14 and hasn't caught up with me yet. I do realize her being short may have nothing to do with her ashtma or the steroids, and isn't terribly important anyhow. I just hoped she'd squeeze out a couple more inches before she stopped growing, and now I'm not sure she will.

--------------------

Dr. Dave
Frosty the Pitchman

SDD [lol] If I could add to the visual:

Nurse: OK tribrats, you are going to take a deep breath, then put your mouth on this tube and then blow as hard and fast as you can. Ready? Good!Takeadeepbreathwhuuuuuuuu [last sound is her taking a deep breath] holditnow {said while holding her own breath}...GO!!! BLOWBLOWBLOWBLOWBLOWBLOWBLOW

Lainie Anytime. I will only reassure you that the timing of when a girl stops growing has to do with her pubertal development rather than age and I'll stop it here rather than risk violating the rule against giving specific advice and a TMI situation for you (or actualy the Lainette). Wish her a Happy (end of) Hannukah for me though.

Lainie

quote:
Lainie Anytime. I will only reassure you that the timing of when a girl stops growing has to do with her pubertal development rather than age and I'll stop it here rather than risk violating the rule against giving specific advice and a TMI situation for you (or actualy the Lainette).

Alas, I'm afraid you may have unwittingly confirmed my suspicions. [Wink] Now I have some googling to do using the term "pubertal development" . . .

quote:
Wish her a Happy (end of) Hannukah for me though.
Will do, and the same to you and your family.

--------------------

tribrats

Only thing that worries me about the yelling is if I mistake it for "PUSHPUSHPUSHPUSH!".

--------------------

Starla

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm free! FREEEEEEEE!!!111!! elevnty-one!!!11!!

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glisp42
I'm Dreaming Of A White iPod

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glisp42   Author's Homepage   E-mail glisp42   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This NFBSKing sucks. I have just been informed that I have to work over Christmas and since the entire family will be 3 hours away there is no chance of me being able to even stop by for 5 minutes.

--------------------
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK" and other lingo mean?

And we'll collect the moments one by one I guess that's how the future's done. -Feist

Posts: 1641 | From: Kansas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

glisp42, that does suck. I'm so sorry. Will you get any extra pay or time off to compensate?

--------------------

tribrats

I agree, that sucks. What kind of job do you do that has you working Christmas day?

--------------------

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages