snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Unhijackable New Year (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Unhijackable New Year
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just got back from the ER. I managed to jam a 3/4" sliver, the width of a cheap toothpick, all the way under my thumbnail right to the base [Eek!] Since it was my right hand, and my left hand is next to useless for any fine motor-skills, off to ER I went.

The doctor and the nurses were very nice, offering to give me a note for work, a note for no housecleaning or dishes for 3 months, and a note telling DH he had to take me out to dinner for the rest of the year. [Smile]

The also gave me antibiotics and Vicodin, the latter of which I am going to indulge in as soon as the numbness wears off my thumb.

Typing with only one thumb is challenging, I tells ya!

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa   Author's Homepage   E-mail SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ouch Roadie. How in all Hells did you manage that? That makes my thumb ache just thinking about it.

--------------------
You have the Right to Remain Silent. Anything you say CAN and WILL be twisted around, taken out of Context and used against you.

All we need is love and beer. Old school metal and some holiday cheer to be happy.

Posts: 711 | From: Bowling Green, KY/ WKU | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Roadie, good Lord! That sounds terrible!

And the "explosion" wasn't anything, apparently. At least nothing visible. I've got 30 minutes left at work, then I'm hightailing it on home to find out what happened.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was dusting/polishing a wooden 6-panel door, and one of the trim pieces on one of the panels slivered and jammed under my nail. I don't think I'll do that again.

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ow ow ow ow ow ow ow! That's why I don't do housework -- it's dangerous.

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
See, housecleaning is dangerous! That's why I don't do it.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Noemi

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roadie:
The also gave me antibiotics and Vicodin, the latter of which I am going to indulge in as soon as the numbness wears off my thumb.

Based on my experience with a damaged thumbnail after Thanksgiving, you definitely will. The nurse told me my thumb would be throbby when the digital block wore off, it actually felt like someone smacked it with a mallet.

quote:
Typing with only one thumb is challenging, I tells ya!
I've discovered it's hard to do much of anything with just one thumb.

Noemi

--------------------
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
My blog, no guarantees about witty or intelligent content. My current projects.
Coveted Beads <---- our eBay store, new items being added somewhat regularly

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ouch, Roadie! *shudders* That sounds so painful. Here's hoping your thumb heals quickly. In the meantime, enjoy the Vicodin.

--------------------
"You better respect the Rap or the Rap won't respect you." Ledatru

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I just got back from the ER. I managed to jam a 3/4" sliver, the width of a cheap toothpick, all the way under my thumbnail right to the base [Eek!]

I did something similar once, although the sliver did not go all the way in. Unfortunately, in my case, the wood I hit was rotten, the sliver splintered into tiny bits and got infected.

Given that infections swell a bit and this one was trapped under my (as it happens) right thumbnail, it was incredibly painful. I went to the on-campus clinic to get it taken care of. They gave me novocaine, clipped off part of my nail to clean up the mess.

With the pressure off the wound, I didn't even need painkillers once the novocaine wore off. And now, [mumble] years later, you can't tell it ever happened.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 301 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I was dusting/polishing a wooden 6-panel door, and one of the trim pieces on one of the panels slivered and jammed under my nail. I don't think I'll do that again.

[Eek!]

I'm cringing in my cubicle here.

If anyone asks, I'm showing them your post. Then they can cringe in their cubicles.

[Eek!]

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Noemi has convinced me to take my drugs right now!

Seaboe, that's what I was afraid of with this sliver - that it would get infected, so I didn't even have to have a stern chat with myself to get my behind into ER. It came out in 6 pieces.

I now know why bamboo shoots are effective as torture devices. I was willing to confess to anything just to make it stop hurting.

I have already dropped a line to the hospital administrator, who I know quite well, and complimented the staff. They were the bestest!

--------------------

Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I will admit, on the fingernail front (and for the squeamish, no further details will be provided except through PMs), I've done worse.

Not as painful but lots more OMG, what did I just do? than the sliver.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mmmmm... Vicodin is good. I like my Vicodin.

I just made all the squicky noises and cringes here. I read your posts out loud to my kids. Now they're in the other room squicking.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Noemi

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Noemi has convinced me to take my drugs right now!

Well, you might want to wait until the block wears off to see how bad it is. [Smile] It's possible it may not hurt as badly as mine did. I had blood and other junk building under a thin layer of nail and they had to go in and release the pressure and clean things up.

ETA: *looks down* Oops, looks like I was a bit late with that advice.

Noemi

--------------------
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
My blog, no guarantees about witty or intelligent content. My current projects.
Coveted Beads <---- our eBay store, new items being added somewhat regularly

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Squicking out snopesters and their families throughout Canada and the U.S.

Not exactly a tag line I aspire to! [Wink]

And yezzzz, me lurves me Vicodin.

--------------------

Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Yep, too late Noemi! I'm getting ready to snuggle in and watch Apollo 13. And take a lil nappypoo. [Smile]

--------------------

Ana Ng

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Saw Vicodin in the active topics and thought I'd drop in... [lol] That stuff was a lifesaver when my kids were little. I'd hoard it for the really bad days and then when my husband came home I'd take one and my body would stop vibrating and my head would stop pounding. It was great.

Roadie, in my haste to find a sufficient supply of #2 pencils for the SAT, I got a massive splinter from a drawer under my right pointer finger. And I had to take the damn thing anyway! [lol]

It sucked sucked sucked!

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

I'd say I'm so glad I'm not the only one, but I don't wish this on anyone!

Well, I only had one more meeting/luncheon before I was on vacation until January, so at least I'm not missing anything.

--------------------

Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd have started a thread for this, but the sign was changed before we could get back there with a camera, so I'll just drop it here in Unhijackable.

On Monday night, we went to our favorite Chinese takeout restaurant, and had a good laugh at their message-board sign. It said "NO WE HAVE NOT SEEN YOUR LOST CAT PLEASE STOP ASKING QUESTION"

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Giselle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Giselle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[lol] Thats great Spam.

I ordered $34 worth of clam chowder for the husband and it arrived today. I don't have to cook tonight!

--------------------
Ralphie, get off the stage sweetheart.

Posts: 2041 | From: Yuba City, California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pixiechic
Here We Come A-Mall Crawling

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixiechic   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pixiechic   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
DH and I just spent a couple of minutes teaching MoPixie (the 2 year old) the finger horns, headbanging and air guitar. Sometimes I really, really love being a parent. [Big Grin]

Pixie"Rock On!"chic

--------------------
Pixiechic's MySpace page
Our Homepage

Posts: 381 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sparklygirl
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparklygirl   E-mail sparklygirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pixiechic:
DH and I just spent a couple of minutes teaching MoPixie (the 2 year old) the finger horns, headbanging and air guitar. Sometimes I really, really love being a parent. [Big Grin]

Pixie"Rock On!"chic

I took my two year old Grandson to the store with me today and everytime someone passed by he was "Rock on" or "Peace" (Got some funny looks from some older people [Smile] ). Everyone says terrible twos, but I think it is a fun age.
Sparklygirl

--------------------
Few things are harder to put up with than a good example. -- Mark Twain
_ _______________________________ _

For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Posts: 34 | From: SW Missouri | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pixiechic

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixiechic   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pixiechic   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Your two year old grandson is my kinda kid sparklygirl! MoPixie has her terrible moments, but I do love this age too!

Pixie"Terrible but oh so cute!"chic

--------------------
Pixiechic's MySpace page
Our Homepage

Posts: 381 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'mNotDedalus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'mNotDedalus   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'mNotDedalus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I just got back from the ER. I managed to jam a 3/4" sliver, the width of a cheap toothpick, all the way under my thumbnail right to the base [Eek!]

Awesome! Way to be extreme, Roadie!

...just thought you might want a different perspective, in case you were gettin' bored.

Anyway, be careful. Leave all the fingerwork to me.

--------------------
The salty fragrance of L’Eau D’I’mNotDedalus - made entirely of and entirely for sea turtles.

Posts: 1983 | From: Chicagoland, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
First, Roadie OUCH!!! I could hardly read what happened (I know it had something to do with a thumbnail & sliver of wood) but anything that requires Vicotin must be serious. Ouch, ouch, ouch!!!

I think I finally got all the presents wrapped tonight. I think I'm putting the last few in gift bags & just calling it good. The kids won't care!

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pixiechic

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Pixiechic   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pixiechic   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by I'mNotDedalus:

He..he...he...*guffaw* Is this where we let your fingers do the walking?

Pixie"why yes I am a perv"chic

--------------------
Pixiechic's MySpace page
Our Homepage

I'mNotDedalus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'mNotDedalus   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'mNotDedalus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pixiechic:
He..he...he...*guffaw* Is this where we let your fingers do the walking?

I should hope so. I mean, someone has to give in sooner or later. I generally aim, first, for the wounded in all of their vulnerability.

--------------------
The salty fragrance of L’Eau D’I’mNotDedalus - made entirely of and entirely for sea turtles.

Posts: 1983 | From: Chicagoland, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mmmm... blueberry jam. [Big Grin]

Just pulled a fresh jar out of the canning boiler, and this is good stuff. [Smile] Christmas present!

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Algae

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Algae   Author's Homepage   E-mail Algae   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just finished wrapping the last of the presents, made hot chocolate bags, finished sewing my son's stocking (that I'd needlepointed over the last 2 years, so seeing it done is really satisfying), and made little felt bags as part of a gift for the young cousins (they're getting "bags of gold" - 3 Sacajawea dollars). Oh, and made lunches for tomorrow and a load of laundry.

Time for bed!

--------------------
Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Don't drink and derive!

Posts: 1957 | From: Southeast Michigan | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

quote:
Originally posted by I'mNotDedalus:
quote:

Awesome! Way to be extreme, Roadie!

...just thought you might want a different perspective, in case you were gettin' bored.

Oh, honey, trust me, I now have a waaaayyyy different perspective. *snerk* I was just thinking, "I think I've moved into IND's world..." [Big Grin]

--------------------

tribrats
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not to pleased with my Christmas gift from my doctor. I have officially been diagnosed with asthma. I went in for a back recheck and came out with another diagnosis. It seems every time I go in there is something else.

At least now I am sure why I feel like my chest has been stuffed with cotton at times.

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jocko's Jolly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jocko's Jolly   E-mail Jocko's Jolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, I need help on two things for my gift bags (well, OK, three, but they're interrelated):

(1) What's a good recipe for mulling spices for wine?

(2) What sort of bag can I make to hold said spices (would some cheesecloth tied with string work?)?

(3) What kind of wine makes the best mulled wine?

I'm giving my boss/friend a basket with muffins and I wanted to include wine and mulling spices, for something different (she's returned to the dating scene, so something for her and BF to enjoy at night AND the next morning!). DH and I luurve the mulled wine, but we used to buy it already bottled from a vineyard closer to DC. I didn't have time to drive down there this year, so I thought I'd make my own.

Thanks in advance for the help!

ON a similar note, I got two double batches of muffins, a batch of brownies and a batch of hot cocoa made today. Tomorrow another double of muffins, brownies and sugar cookies, the wine and spices. Then assembly and wrapping and I'm done with all the prep work. Just in time for the work party Saturday night.

Sunday, I only have to make the mashed potatoes and enjoy time with DH and the kids. Yea!

--------------------
Like every good third-in-a-series it contains a whole load of ewoks, ‘Clubber’ Lang, whey-faced Sophia Coppola, Sean Connery as the Pirate Captain’s estranged dad, a crappy CGI alien, and Richard Pryor on a donkey. -- Gideon Defoe

Posts: 2211 | From: Harford County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
the Virgin Marrya

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[two pages already?!]

Lil' Miss is getting a kitten for Christmas [yes, and for life, I know I know [Big Grin] ] and he arrived today!

He's barely six weeks old, but the mother's owner was uber-keen to be rid, so here we are!

Silly wee Tinsel [forever to be known as Tinsy] came home, took one look at our other cat [who is a large, extreeeeeemly fluffy persian] and puffed himself up to all of his 6 inches, and spat in her face.
Needless to say, they are not bosom buddies.

I'm assuming she will come around because she has been so lonely, and had had 5 litters in 3 years before coming to us, coupled with his tinsy-wincy-ness and tendency to cry pitifully [when not spitting at his elders...]

Did I mention he is T3h cuteness1 Tomorrow, I'ma making pics for the Im in ur x doing ur y thread!

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tribrats:
I am not to pleased with my Christmas gift from my doctor. I have officially been diagnosed with asthma. I went in for a back recheck and came out with another diagnosis. It seems every time I go in there is something else.

At least now I am sure why I feel like my chest has been stuffed with cotton at times.

I was diagnosed with asthma in my very early 30s. (I'm 37 now) My docs gave me, at one point, four different inhalers to try and control it. One inhaler was for emergencies, another was for three times a day, another for four, and the other twice. Nothing worked. They finally put me on Advair. After being tortured for over a year with emergency room visits and breathing treatments (and refusals by me to be put on steriods), the docs got off their butts and did something. (Not typical- it is the VA docs). A few months ago, they took my Advair from me (waaaah!) and replaced it with two inhalers that apparently do the same thing. I still liked Advair better.

Anyway, I was angry when I was diagnosed too (I used to be an athlete, dammit! How could I have asthma!). But then, I was glad to know I wasn't seriously ill- I actually had horrible thoughts of what was truly wrong with me. And, I used the asthma as a doctor's excuse to talk my husband into central AC. [Big Grin]

Frog-wheeeeeze-Feathers

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
the Virgin Marrya

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks to VeebleFetzer, I can now fully indulge my velleity to get off the net and go to sleep... [lol]

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages