snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Has snopes changed? (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Has snopes changed?
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tagurit:
And during the big blowup, it was also revealed that Edith D. Bunker, a favorite poster, did not really exist, that several snopesters used this personna to respond to queries.

That was a pre-UBB leftover. As I mentioned, in "the olden days" you didn't need to sign up to post, and you could type any user name you liked on any post - a different one for each, if you wanted. (That wouldn't work now, I don't think!)

The "in-joke" on the old board was that, if you were simply posting a link to a snopes page in answer to a question, people would post as "Edith D. Bunker" and say something like "Here's your link, dear". It was pretty much the same as the "chow" now - anybody could do it.

So when the new board needed proper accounts, snopes agreed to set up a "common" account that could be used to duplicate this. As far as I remember, originally at least, the password and user name were posted publicly on this board itself. I can't remember exactly what happened after that, but it was done with snopes's permission. I think it was a secret known to the people who'd seen the original thread here, rather than a secret known only to the "seekrit club" members.

Clearly that wouldn't work now, or be allowed under the current rules, but in those days there were far fewer members and people were still feeling their way and finding out how it would all work in the new format.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
I'm sure many exist (for example, the FleetChat I liked to earlier [which I've never seen anyone actually using, BTW])

When are you checking? Most evenings (around 8:00-10:00 Pacific time) you can usually find me and a few other current and former posters there. Sometimes it can be a little quiet depending on exactly who's there and what's going on, but there are people there.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zachary Fizz:

But on the plus side, we got to speak about rocket-powered monkey cycles. You can't buy experiences like that.

Oh, dear, and we already sent you the invoice. I'm afraid we've already set you up on net 30 terms. We'd hate to have to report you to our credit department.
Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Jenn has asked if it matters whether there is a secret club, and expresses the view that it does not, and is the same as using PMs, or having IRL meet-ups. Personally I think it is different.

Upon further reflection, I will agree that it is different, but not quite in the way you might expect. People should be more paranoid about the PMs or IRL meet-ups, because the people attending are known to have a current interest and knowledge in the message board. There's little reason to assume that members of the secret board from 7 years ago, if it still exists, are even members of the ULMB at all anymore. Very few people from that time are still around here.

quote:
But if a secret club exists which is defined, or rather defines itself, as being an "inner circle", then I think it is analagous to a secret society in our little village.
I disagree. I think it is analagous to people who started with a common connection moving to a new village because they didn't like how the current village became a huge, open, tourist attraction. They moved from the big city out into the country, if you will.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 219 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
in the deepest boughs of the densest xmas tree, my seekrit clubhouse lies
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
quote:
And during the big blowup, it was also revealed that Edith D. Bunker, a favorite poster, did not really exist, that several snopesters used this personna to respond to queries.

That was a pre-UBB leftover. As I mentioned, in "the olden days" you didn't need to sign up to post, and you could type any user name you liked on any post - a different one for each, if you wanted. (That wouldn't work now, I don't think!)

The "in-joke" on the old board was that, if you were simply posting a link to a snopes page in answer to a question, people would post as "Edith D. Bunker" and say something like "Here's your link, dear". It was pretty much the same as the "chow" now - anybody could do it.

So when the new board needed proper accounts, snopes agreed to set up a "common" account that could be used to duplicate this. As far as I remember, originally at least, the password and user name were posted publicly on this board itself. I can't remember exactly what happened after that, but it was done with snopes's permission. I think it was a secret known to the people who'd seen the original thread here, rather than a secret known only to the "seekrit club" members.

Clearly that wouldn't work now, or be allowed under the current rules, but in those days there were far fewer members and people were still feeling their way and finding out how it would all work in the new format.

Possibly I wasn't around or was too new at the time to notice. I registered in, what, August or September of '99? Lots of things took place while the dust from the new software was settling. I only know that when she exposed the superseekrit clubhouse, she also exposed Edith, as if it were a big deal. I had no point of reference to react within.

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You registered in Mar of 2000 Tag, says so at the bottom of your post. [Big Grin]

No one registered until the UBB software was installed and that was Feb of 2000.

Gibbie

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jenn:
There's little reason to assume that members of the secret board from 7 years ago, if it still exists, are even members of the ULMB at all anymore. Very few people from that time are still around here.

quote:
But if a secret club exists which is defined, or rather defines itself, as being an "inner circle", then I think it is analagous to a secret society in our little village.
I disagree. I think it is analagous to people who started with a common connection moving to a new village because they didn't like how the current village became a huge, open, tourist attraction. They moved from the big city out into the country, if you will.
Yes, I can see now that what I thought was just three years ago is in fact seven years ago or more, and effectively ancient history.

Also, after reading your, Beachlife's and Sara at Home's thoughts on the topic, I agree that offshoot clubs aren't automatically sinister at all. To use the examples offered by Sara, I don't think I would be upset after all if there really were super secret snopes clubs for swimmers, geeks, old ladies, or swingers.

Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gale:
quote:

But on the plus side, we got to speak about rocket-powered monkey cycles. You can't buy experiences like that.

Oh, dear, and we already sent you the invoice. I'm afraid we've already set you up on net 30 terms. We'd hate to have to report you to our credit department.
Oh, dear. Do you accept payment in robotic camel jockey spare parts?
Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If there is a club for geeky old ladies, I'm ready to join...

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
birdman
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for birdman   E-mail birdman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not to switch topics back to the original topic, [Big Grin] but, a corollary to what I said before about the increase in membership: longer threads. I remember when a three-page thread was a rare occurance, only for heated debates. Now we can rack up a five-pager in 24 hours on a topic of no consequence. That's another reason I'm sometimes loath to post, because I know I'll be tempted to read all 2309583 responses.

-birdman

Posts: 1104 | From: near Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 221 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gibbie:
You registered in Mar of 2000 Tag, says so at the bottom of your post. [Big Grin]

No one registered until the UBB software was installed and that was Feb of 2000.

Ok, fair enough. But, I was here in August or September of '99. And that's another thing I wanted to know. Why are you registered, as so many others are, Feb 2000 and I got stuck with Mar 2000? Hmmmmm? I recall shortly after I got my registration date something happening that changed everyone's registration date, or at least some of our registration dates, but what it was I don't remember.

So, back to me saying that bannings are new. How new is new? I just meant that, early on, I don't recall people being banned. The first banning I recall, of an actively posting member, is JK Will, ole spider boy. I still miss him. At any rate, I asked if bannings are new or bannable offenses are new. I'm not sure which it is. Did bannable offenses spring out of the need to ban people who couldn't conform?

--------------------
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember long ago (pre UBB?) from time to time ISPs were blocked for a while to prevent disruptive people from posting. Unfortunately, that sometimes resulted in blocking people in good standing. That was problem was solved when people had to register.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a setting changed that shuffled everyone's member number (which I used to know how to find but can't remember now), but not their registration date. I don't think the registration date has ever changed. Why does yours say March when mine and other old timers says Feb? Dunno, maybe you were just pokey signing up! I know that I signed up the day it changed to the UBB board from the old frames format. As soon as I stopped hyperventilating from such a radical change that is.

Gibbie

--------------------

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
birdman
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for birdman   E-mail birdman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you click to read your profile, the last few digits of the URL corresponds to the order in which you registered. So Gibbie must have been the 62nd person to register, and I was the 205th. I must have been on a brief hiatus and waited a few weeks to register.

Hmm, now that I think about it, I do seem to recall some sort of member number being in our profiles once upon a time. I remember there were some instances where a person with a membership date in February had a later number than I who registered in March.

And didn't Beverly register even before snopes himself?

-birdman

Posts: 1104 | From: near Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
I think it might be the invitation only part, if true, that some people dislike. So rather than just moving to a new village, some people left and built an exclusive gated community where the HOA decides who can live there and who can't.

Or, they left the Stonecutters and formed the No Homers Club. That might not be the best analogy, but I really wanted to make a Stonecutters reference because all I can think of when I read this thread is "I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff! And I want in."

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But, I was here in August or September of '99.

Then I expect you're remembering 'here' being the pre-UBB board or you're getting this place mixed up with somewhere else. As Gibbie said, the UBB board did not launch until February 2000.

quote:
Why are you registered, as so many others are, Feb 2000 and I got stuck with Mar 2000?
Because Gibbie and others registered in February and you registered in March. The registration dates have not changed (as Gibbie said, the member numbers were reshuffled, but not the dates). You simply must have registered in March 2000. March 24, to be exact.

quote:
I just meant that, early on, I don't recall people being banned.
Not all bannings are public knowledge/business or noticed. You may recall JK Will being the first, but he was perhaps just the first notable one. Banning people when deemed necessary really goes back to the beginning of the board (including the pre-UBB board).

There are also more members now. It might feel like bannings are more common or happen more often, but I expect it's still proportionate to the number of members.

--------------------

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You may recall JK Will being the first, but he was perhaps just the first notable one.

Wasn't there a German or Swedish woman banned long before him because she would constantly complain about the themes, particularly ones that were food-releated? I remember her because she practiced the Norse religion -- and was quite outspoken about it -- and that was the first time I realized people still worshipped the ancient Norse gods.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
birdman
We Three Blings

Ah yes, ISNorden. To quote: "Read my lips: NO MORE FOOD THEMES!!"

She posted on the pre-UBB board too, and I think scared off Bonnie on at least one occasion.

-birdman

Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WildaBeast:
I think it might be the invitation only part, if true, that some people dislike.

As if all parties and gatherings are open to any and all who happen by or want to come? What other use of invitations do some people dislike?

quote:
So rather than just moving to a new village, some people left and built an exclusive gated community where the HOA decides who can live there and who can't.
Least we forget, snopes is built on private property and while the invitation to participate is open, snopes has the power to decide who can live here and who can't. And while, to my knowledge, he has always been more than fair and tolerant about who may post here, he is fully free be as arbitrary as he wants.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by birdman:
Ah yes, ISNorden. To quote: "Read my lips: NO MORE FOOD THEMES!!"

Huh?
Did she have food issues, or just get bored with the themes easily?

An ISNorden on Wikipedia.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bonnie
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 600 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

She posted on the pre-UBB board too, and I think scared off Bonnie on at least one occasion.

Tell me about it.

In hindsight, though, given how much she detested food themes, I really should have anticipated how she'd feel about a reference to the Swedish Chef . . .

Bonnie "bork, bork, bork" Taylor

--------------------
Se non č vero, č ben trovato.

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

quote:
Originally posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm:
Did she have food issues, or just get bored with the themes easily?

After many increasingly shrill complaints about food themes and starting several threads trying to rally everyone to brainstorm new themes for snopes, she finally explained: Food turns into feces, thus food themes are really poo themes, and that's nauseating.

Yes, really.

Pogue, I suppose she probably was before JK Will. The banning wasn't specifically over the food theme thing, but that was part of the cumulative problem. IIRC, the final straw was when she started criticizing people and trying to dictate how others participated in a fun contest thread because she personally didn't think that their answers were funny.

--------------------

Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My, *she* sounds fun!

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
IIRC, and this was in my early early days, she also dredged up the secret board thread drama over a year later for no particular reason. Fuzzy memory.

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast

quote:
Originally posted by Sara Claus at home:
quote:
I think it might be the invitation only part, if true, that some people dislike.

As if all parties and gatherings are open to any and all who happen by or want to come?

Of course not, but it's quite common for people to to be disappointed when they aren't invited to a party they were hoping to get invited to.

--------------------

Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
I'm sure many exist (for example, the FleetChat I liked to earlier [which I've never seen anyone actually using, BTW])

When are you checking? Most evenings (around 8:00-10:00 Pacific time) you can usually find me and a few other current and former posters there. Sometimes it can be a little quiet depending on exactly who's there and what's going on, but there are people there.
Maybe I'm in the wrong room or something. The few evenings I've logged on and kept the chat room window open for a few hours (while perusing other things on the web and checking it periodically) no one's ever shown up. Just me.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abbubmah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/category/6.html

--------------------
Fundamentally Unfundie since 1975

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie

Cervus, it sounds like the you are in the wrong room. When you connect to Fleetchat type:

/join #urban_legends

Don't forget the underscore. At the very least you'll see the bot, whose name is Urbanbot. There's usually a small crowd there.

Gibbie

--------------------

Noemi

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ah yes, ISNorden.

Since she and I are the same religion I'm really glad I haven't run into her on any Asatru-related forums or lists. I'd have a really hard time keeping from saying something like "Hey, I've heard about you. You hated food related themes on the snopes message boards.

I'm also grateful that people have not jusdged me based on her.

Noemi

--------------------
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
My blog, no guarantees about witty or intelligent content. My current projects.
Coveted Beads <---- our eBay store, new items being added somewhat regularly

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for answering my questions, Jenn. Yes, I was here pre-ubb.

Ah, ISNorden. I forgot all about her. Selective memory? I think so....

And something else that's changed is this is not the San Fernando Valley Urban Legends Reference Pages anymore. I think I recalled that correctly, or somewhat close.

--------------------
---
AAMAH

Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by abbubmah:

Were you trying to direct us to a particular archived thread?

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheBobo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
After reading all 5 pages of this thread I realized one thing. Snopes hasn't changed a bit.

--------------------
The views expressed in the above Post does not necessarily reflect those of snopes,The Infopoop Corporation,the Internet or most of society for that matter.

Posts: 2474 | From: Scranton, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abbubmah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker:
quote:
Originally posted by abbubmah:

Were you trying to direct us to a particular archived thread?

Seaboe

No; I didn't realize the archive had an index. I spent a good hour looking at stuff from 2000. All this talk is making me nostalgic... there's a lot of people I miss.

--------------------

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If you click to read your profile, the last few digits of the URL corresponds to the order in which you registered. So Gibbie must have been the 62nd person to register, and I was the 205th. I must have been on a brief hiatus and waited a few weeks to register.

-birdman

Edited because I clicked the wrong button. Duh!

The easiest way to see a registration/member number is to place your cursor over the post number. The r/m number is shown at the end of the line in the status bar.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abbubmah

Interestingly enough, snopes is #272.

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages