snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Has snopes changed? (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Has snopes changed?
edu-macated
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for edu-macated   E-mail edu-macated   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Snopes has always been my messageboard of choice for lurking.

I lurked for literally years before I ever posted.

Of course it has changed.

The core remains the same in my belief though.

It is the place for me to come when I want some real thought. Whether or not it happens is not the point. It is my haven.

--------------------
There is no sense in being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

Posts: 379 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zachary Fizz:
If the snopes forums can be likened to a village, which I think they can, then we can think of the various threads as corners of the village green*. It is perfectly reasonable for villagers to occasionally visit each other's houses (PMs, or the odd low-key IRL meet up), or to have a party (ie the various gatherings). PMs allow us to express thoughts and feelings which don't necessarily belong on the main forums (I seem to use them primarily to apologise to people for rude posts, alas, and to express sympathy in words which I cannot find on the forum). But there is no question of them being consciously secret, however private they may be. As witness the occasional cry of "your PM inbox is full" - hardly the mark of sinister secrecy, is it?

If there is a separate clubhouse which happens to overlap with snopes, that is one thing. Many of us have occasionally seen other snopesters on other boards. But if a secret club exists which is defined, or rather defines itself, as being an "inner circle", then I think it is analagous to a secret society in our little village. Whether it can be likened to the KKK or the freemasons, the principle is surely the same: it is, by definition, exclusionary, and it suggests that some posters see themselves as snopesier than others. Is it harmful? I don't know. Is it wrong? I think maybe it is.

Obviously I speak as one who isn't in the alleged inner circle. A Silas Marner figure, if you will. I don't suppose one can reasonably ask for a counterpoint from a member of the secret club, as it wouldn't be secret then.

This fascinates me that there is so much speculation about this alleged super secret club. Taking your village analogy a step further, suppose that some of the snopesters go to the swim club and, over the years, realize they have interests and friendships that they want to continue after the pool closes. So they make arrangements to meet at someone's house from time to time. And, suppose they don't bother discussing their private parties -- gatherings not open to all the people in snopesland, as private parties generally aren't -- because it's just the polite thing to do. We all have that uneasy feeling when two friends discuss a party they've been to at the home of a mutual friend, a party to which we haven't been invited, even when the three people involved are on our A list.

"snopesier"? "inner circle" That sounds like the "cool" kids at school started their own group and tried to run the school. What if it was the geekiest kids who started a club to be as geeky as they wanted to be in private? What if it was the old ladies who wanted to talk about old lady things in private. What if it's a group of swingers who want to talk dirty in private? In all those cases wouldn't you think that the people involved had a right to include whomever they wished? Why would you jump to a conclusion that any "secret club" would be focused on anything related to snopes, let alone that the participants define themselves as the "inner circle"? And why would you assume that it wasn't an "outer circle" of people? Why is the assumption that any "secret" group is holding itself above others? For that matter, why would anyone assume there is only one? Those are simply illogical assumptions.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What? There are also secret snopes swimming clubs, geek clubs, old ladies clubs and swinging clubs? [Eek!]

Well in that case, I don't think I'll be mentioning my secret snopes rocket-powered monkey cycle club to anyone. So there [Razz]

Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is that a club for monkeys who like to use rocket-powered cycles, or is it a club for rocket-powered monkeys who like to cycle?

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Evil_eyes
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evil_eyes   Author's Homepage   E-mail Evil_eyes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Island Manta:
Well, I have to admit I let real life get in the way of ME posting here. It just got to where too many people had personal problems...and frankly I had enough of my OWN to worry about.

Also, living in a tourist destination and working in the tourist industry...I was so tired, I would only check the boards I'm an Admin on...and email.

And for the record...I found the seekrit SLC site (long before snopes changed to this particular board software) before I even registered as a poster. Pissed people off....made amends and found some real good friends.

Now...I gotta go pump the bilge on me boat....so I'm gonna sign out for now [Smile]

-k

Your Alive, I pm'ed you way back when, when the Girl Scouts were selling cookies this year to see if you wanted me to send you more thin mints. I hope you are doing well.

E*E

--------------------
"Taking all the pain I give you
Loving blindly in return
And I need you more than ever"
WWW.Myspace.com/E_E2000

Posts: 1243 | From: Northern VA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dara bhur gCara:
Is that a club for monkeys who like to use rocket-powered cycles, or is it a club for rocket-powered monkeys who like to cycle?

Ssssh! Have you forgotten the first rule of secret snopes rocket-powered monkey cycle club already?

BTW, I thought Sara's counterpoint was very well put, and convincing. But I'm still keeping my rocket-powered monkey cycle experiments to myself, thank you very much.

Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wait a minute, is it a rocket-powered cycle made out of bits of monkey?

Because that's just cruel. For shame, sir.

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dara bhur gCara:

Ssssh! Have you forgotten the first rule of secret snopes rocket-powered monkey cycle club already?
What, "Members should remember to have an ample supply of peanuts and berries on them at all times?"

No, I remember. I just don't see what the relevance of it is.

--------------------

Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
First rule of secret snopes rocket-powered monkey cycle club: There is no secret snopes rocket-powered monkey cycle club.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
2ys4u
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2ys4u     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"There's a real cool club on the other side of town, where the real cool kids go to sit around....."

--------------------
"Guns and butter."

Posts: 966 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara

quote:
Originally posted by Sara Claus at home:
First rule of secret snopes rocket-powered monkey cycle club: There is no secret snopes rocket-powered monkey cycle club.

No, that's rule 7653. Between Rule 7652 (the regulation pinstripe width) and 7654 (the correct and precise finger-splaying techniques permissible in rocket-powered monkey cycling.)

What can I say? Zachary just loves rules.

--------------------

Zachary Fizz

Now you're just being silly, Dara. You know I can't tolerate cruelty to monkey rocket-cyclists. After all, I am the president of the super secret snopes chapter of People for the Ethical Treatment of Rocket-Cycling Monkeys.

ETA: He's right, you know. I love rules. And rocket-cycling monkeys.

Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Rocket-cycling monkeys aren't a patch on camel-riding robots. And your bloody practice area infringes the Camel-Riding Robot Club's race-track around the duckpond. If you don't move it, then you're going to start a turf war.
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about this duckpond. I'm assuming it is super secret.

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Open Mike Night
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 200 posted      Profile for Open Mike Night     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Well in that case, I don't think I'll be mentioning my secret snopes rocket-powered monkey cycle club to anyone. So there [Razz]

Dear Sir,

I am writing to you to express my desire to be a fine member of your club. Please send a membership application, that I may apply as soon as possible. I believe my experiments with turbo powered lemur unicycles may be of interest.

Sincerly,

Mike

--------------------
On the crusade to eliminate Moral Asshattery wherever it exists
Member: AAMAH

Posts: 2940 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara

quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
Rocket-cycling monkeys aren't a patch on camel-riding robots. And your bloody practice area infringes the Camel-Riding Robot Club's race-track around the duckpond. If you don't move it, then you're going to start a turf war.

Pft! Come back and argue when you have a rocket camel.

--------------------

Zachary Fizz

Oh, yes here he comes, with his blooming camel-riding robots. I wondered how long it would be. Well, Mister Hoity-Toity-Make-Way-for-my-Smartypants-Camel/Robots, let me tell you that we were at the duckpond first. And you're having a laugh if you think you can tell us your camels, or your robots, need the water. So you can take them back to Nad-al-Sheba right now, and don't stop to admire the view.
Zachary Fizz

OpenMike Night, you are just the sort of guy we want in our super secret club. (Not like that hi-falutin Richard W). Our super-secret membership secretary will send you the forms, written in invisible ink. I look forward to seeing the turbo-lemur-unicycle concept finally acknowledged.

Slight hijack - I actually see Richard's camel robots quite a lot, as I live about 10km from where they do. I live in fear of them rebelling against their human masters, and trying to make us race camels for their robotic fun.

Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I take it that none of these newbies know about our current super-super-secret-double-secret club?

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tarquin Farquart:
I don't know about this duckpond. I'm assuming it is super secret.

Oops! Um, I meant the ornamental fishpond in the corner of the green. It's not like the Camel-Riding Robot Club has a secret mansion with a huge duckpond in the grounds. Because if we did, there's no way we would be sharing it with those Turbogibbons, as we would no doubt call them if they existed. Which, as Sara and Dara confirm, they don't, according to rule 7653.
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now the Star-bellied Sneetches had bellies with stars.
The Plain-bellied Sneetches had none upon thars.
The stars weren't so big; they were really quite small.
You would think such a thing wouldn't matter at all.
But because they had stars, all the Star-bellied Sneetches
would brag, "We're the best kind of Sneetch on the beaches."

With their snoots in the air, they would sniff and they'd snort, "
We'll have nothing to do with the plain-bellied sort."
And whenever they met some, when they were out walking,
they'd hike right on past them without even talking.

When the Star-bellied children went out to play ball,
could the Plain-bellies join in their game? Not at all!
You could only play ball if your bellies had stars,
and the Plain-bellied children had none upon thars.

When the Star-bellied Sneetches had frankfurter roasts,
or picnics or parties or marshmallow toasts,
they never invited the Plain-bellied Sneetches.
Left them out cold in the dark of the beaches.
Kept them away; never let them come near,
and that's how they treated them year after year.

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Up North:
I rarely post here now. I used to find that the online world was a nice healthy diversion from the day to day "face to face" dealings with people.

Technology has changed us now. Currently I find face to face dealings with people a nice healthy diversion from the usual emails and online interaction.

Hey! I was looking for you in the MIA thread a few months ago!

Glad to hear from you, hope all is well, and Happy Holidays, Jon!

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

If that were the case, Pam, those who join the various "super secret clubs" would no longer be snopesters because they wouldn't associate with other snopsters, just the ones in their club........which would make them no longer snopesters. Zack wouldn't talk to me because I'm not a member his secret snopes rocket-powered monkey cycle club yet there he is, talking to me.....and all the other snopesters not in his super secret club.

--------------------

Salamander
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Salamander   E-mail Salamander   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But Salamander, two snopesters have made posts on this thread which indicate that a super-secret snopesters club did at one point exist. So, unless the snopesters in question were mistaken or the victims of some joke, it can't really be all that preposterous as it actually happened.

Oh... sorry, I wasn't denying that it ever happened. I'm just saying I highly doubt any such thing exists now. The SLC thing most definitely did exist but I'm rather under the impression that snopes (the man himself) isn't terribly fond of exclusive clubs and made everything public.

Working under the assumption that both he and Jenn are being honest (and not co-conspirators), I would struggle to believe any such secret board would be endorsed by the management. An unofficial secret club could well exist outside of the boards... in fact there could be hundreds of them for all I know. I just think there are simpler explanations than this secret club business.

--------------------
"victory thru self-deception"

Posts: 2211 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Regarding the super secret club, I think it's sometimes a matter of perception. And before I continue let me say I in no way am a member of said club, even if it doesn't exist. [Wink]

I am very active in a local theater company where I have made several close friends. At a cast part a few months ago, I was talking to a fellow cast member who I had only known for a few weeks. He started one of his statements with "I know I'm not a member of your core inner group" which had me absolutely flabbergasted because we always perceived ourselves as close friends that just liked to hang out together. But things always look different from the 'outside'.

Beach...so I killed him and buried his body under our ceremonial meeting chamber...Life!

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the point of people’s dissatisfaction with the "seekrit" set-up is/was more to do with posts that publicise the exclusive nature of these places. It’s not the same as a situation IRL where someone casually speaks to a friend about a shared interest or society (“See you at the Philatelists’ Unlimited meeting this evening, bud”). It’s more akin to someone in general company winking desperately to one other person in the room, or giving them an elaborate handshake, while saying “See you on Who’sday, GrandSire!”. Those who were not part of the phenomenon felt as though an effort was being made to advertise the existence of a members’ only club, purely for the purpose of underlining the special nature of its members.

There's no objection to the existence of however many other forums of whatever level of exclusivity. It's just that there did seem to be a period (over 5 years ago probably, I'll grant you) where references were being made to "seekrit" boards in that slightly obnoxious nudge-nudge wink-wink manner. Probably more to do with perception than anything else, but I do sympathise with RichardW and tag's earlier posts.

Now, I've got my monkey, and my JATO motorbike. Where do I sign up?

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

quote:
Originally posted by Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet:
It’s more akin to someone in general company winking desperately to one other person in the room, or giving them an elaborate handshake, while saying “See you on Who’sday, GrandSire!”. Those who were not part of the phenomenon felt as though an effort was being made to advertise the existence of a members’ only club, purely for the purpose of underlining the special nature of its members.

... Probably more to do with perception than anything else, but I do sympathise with RichardW and tag's earlier posts.

My earlier post was about the "semi-hidden" pre-UBB SLC, which did cause a lot of that sort of insider reference on the main board.

I don't remember the "non-official super-seekrit" version being talked about much here, except in the famous argument that SirKnight mentioned, which must have been at least five years ago. And that was obviously written by a disgruntled member or ex-member of the "non-official super-seekrit" board, to stir up trouble. The argument has come up periodically ever since, whenever somebody mentions it again...

But maybe I just missed the other references to it.

(edit) Anyway, yes, I agree with you. I just wanted to clarify that I hadn't been talking about the "non-official super-seekrit" board in question in my post.

(edited again) Might as well keep my terminology consistent.

Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Beach, it *is* all in the way we perceive it.

Some people have posted complaints that the ULMB has "cliques" and discussions which other members aren't "allowed" to join. I find this ridiculous. I don't consider myself part of any inner core, but neither do I know of any snopes-oriented cliques that intentionally close themselves off from outsiders.

A lot of people that would be considered "core" snopesters - those that have been here for many years and/or post every day - have also met each other offline or chat through IM or PMs. I'm not one of them - I really only communicate with other snopesters through the ULMB. But the friendships that people have offline or off-board do often influence the way other snopesters treat each other. There may be some in-joke that was made in a thread or at a gathering, or friends who communicate off-board may seem to be more privy to information than those who don't.

I know I was very surprised at first to realize how many people here communicate through PM, because I don't use it much so I guess I figured no one else did.

Any attempts to make a secret club that's affiliated with the SLC wouldn't be approved by snopes, so if people have their own chat rooms or "inner circles", it's on their own time, off-board, and not endorsed by snopes. I'm sure many exist (for example, the FleetChat I liked to earlier [which I've never seen anyone actually using, BTW]) but these associations are probably based on other interests or friendships that have no relation to the ULMB.

I don't think any of us have to worry about being excluded from a super-secret snopes club. The Gathering of the Naked Wings fans, now that's a different - oops, I've probably said too much... [Wink]

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz

quote:
If that were the case, Pam, those who join the various "super secret clubs" would no longer be snopesters because they wouldn't associate with other snopsters, just the ones in their club........which would make them no longer snopesters. Zack wouldn't talk to me because I'm not a member his secret snopes rocket-powered monkey cycle club yet there he is, talking to me.....and all the other snopesters not in his super secret club.

This leaves just one mystery to clear up, Sara. As I may have mentioned in the past, I have sometimes found the UK snopesters going to great lengths not to talk to me when I have tried to attend their gatherings. On one occasion, they all went to a different pub to the one they told me. Now if it isn't because of super-secret clubs, why would they do that?
Sara at home

They don't like you?

--------------------

Zachary Fizz

Impossible, Sara. To know me is to love me, and I should know.
ParaDiddle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ParaDiddle   E-mail ParaDiddle       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
I take it that none of these newbies know about our current super-super-secret-double-secret club?

I can state for a fact that there is no super-secret snopes club because A; if there was, it would be abbreviated by this cumbersome acronym "S-SsC" and B; I (super cool as I am) would be in it.

Therefore, since I'm not in it, it does not exist. Hell, if I was in it I'd tell you. . . which would result in my immediate ejection from the membership rolls. . ., thereby voiding my original oath of secrecy. . ., so I could tell you who all the other members are and what they wrote about each of you.

So, since no such expose (insert diacritical accent) has been written, the S-SsC does not exist. . . Unless I'm still in it and still bound by my oath of secrecy. . . in which case, this has been "yet another meaningless post".

- P

Posts: 1856 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I agree with you, Sara. Zack is talking to us even without monkeys, which is a good thing. I'm not interested in animals that fling poo.

However, I just don't get enough opportunity to quote from one of my all-time favorite Dr. Seuss books.

Is it ok if I just read about monkeys?

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 607 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Richard W. is talking about when the SLC wasn't really hidden, but wasn't out in public view like it is now. There was a link to get to it, right?

I'm talking about the superseekritsnopesterclubbyinvitationonly. When it all blew up and was exposed was more like 6 1/2 - 7 years ago, maybe early 2000. Yeah, now that I think on it, I think it was early 2000. A member of the super seekrit club obviously got upset at the other special members and exposed it all on the board (then later hightailed it out of snopesworld and took her posts with her). The secret clubhouse wasn't on snopes. I don't recall where it was (maybe I never knew where) but snopes had nothing to do with it at all as far as I could tell. Though, there wasn't a members list published, so I could be wrong. [Smile]

And yeah, it was wrong mostly in perception. Here was this fairly popular snopester (though she was also fairly annoying sometimes) coming on SLC and exposing the seekrit society. The shame was in the presentation. It was a club of elite snopesters that talked about the commoners behind their backs. It was by invitation only.

AT the time of the exposé I mentioned being a little freaked out by her announcement and then I'm getting emails telling me that I (what? was, would, should, could?) be invited into the inner circle, myself. I think the intent was to soothe me, smooth things over. I wasn't upset because I hadn't been invited in. That wasn't the reason I'd been upset at all. Now, I was being told that I couldashouldawoulda been invited, if the whole thing didn't blow up in everyone's faces like it did. *ho hum* That's what really freaked me out! That's the reason I went into read-only mode for a period of time. I mean, do I seem like inner circle material to you? That's not my style. I don't play that sort of game. I was freaked out that people even thought of me for inclusion.

It felt like the KKK were letting me know they thought I'd make a fine member. That's how it felt to me. Of course, this is in light of the big blowup.

And during the big blowup, it was also revealed that Edith D. Bunker, a favorite poster, did not really exist, that several snopesters used this personna to respond to queries. *HUH?* I believe members of the same superseekritclub. So, at one time not only were alternate personnas ok on this site, but the cream of the crop, the elite snopesters themselves, members of the superseekritsnopesterssociety, were all using one.

Does this superseekritclub exist today? Probably not. I'm not sure, but I really don't care.

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz

You know, Danvers Carew's prophetic warnings about navel gazing earlier on in this thread really hits home now that I have inadvertently created baseless feelings of paranoia and alienation over at least three continents. Perhaps we should pay more attention to that dude, and avoid urinating in his desserts.

But on the plus side, we got to speak about rocket-powered monkey cycles. You can't buy experiences like that.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages