snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Has snopes changed? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Has snopes changed?
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know if the posting style of the boards has changed or if I am just reading them from a different perspective, but I feel like there is a general confusion about the difference between wit and snark.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When you examine into the navel, the navel examines back into you.

No? How about:

At snopes, we examine our collective navel. In Soviet Russia, collective navel examines us.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LikeHeyScoob
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LikeHeyScoob   E-mail LikeHeyScoob   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:

No? How about:

At snopes, we examine our collective navel. In Soviet Russia, collective navel examines us.

A Nietzsche reference and a Yakov Smirnoff reference in the same post?

History has been made, congrats GenYus!

--------------------
Support you local community newspaper! CNN.com probably won't be covering your child's spelling bee.

Posts: 609 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kmcm
We Three Blings

Icon 212 posted      Profile for kmcm   Author's Homepage   E-mail kmcm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Snopes has changed a bit. Why? Because the more chatty people who post more often changes. We have some people who are consistant, post often, and have been around for ages. We have some people who are relatively new, but makes themselves well known but the frequency of their posts.

There are oddballs like myself, who lurk more than they post.

I imagine this place as a giant room filled with people who sit around and talk. Some people have been here since the beginning of the conversation, while others have recently joined. The tone and flavor of the conversation changes as the most vocal people change over time.

Of course this place is going to change, snopes and Barbara try new things all the time. We have the mods who help keep this place civil.

I don't really see cliques on here, i don't see an "in crowd." I see people who post more often and are more well known so there is more banter between them.

There are others who post, but their posts are sometimes so silly that they are remembered for that.

Why are we worried about change? Change is a part of life. If you aren't finding what you need here anymore, take a break, come back and see whats new. We'll miss you, but you'll always be welcome, as is the nature of this board.

Whew, i think i'm done.

--------------------
Of course this land is dangerous! All of the animals are capably murderous. Especially the penguins.

i'm a figment of my own imagination, sometimes i don't exist

Posts: 1099 | From: Kitsap County, WA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bufungla
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 18 posted      Profile for bufungla   Author's Homepage   E-mail bufungla   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:

(edit) Actually, to be fair, there have always been a lot of back-slappy posts about how great and intelligent and open-minded we all are. I find those a bit annoying too.

Don't forget about how we all:

• are physically attractive (in an unconventional way, without being so skinny that we're unhealthy or look unrealistic)
  • only shop at mom and pop stores and never at any huge comglommerate-owned chain store
  • have unbelievably eclectic music collections
  • vote, donate blood, and do volunteer work
  • recycle and drive green cars (or only own SUVs because we absolutely have the need for such vehicles)
  • always obey all traffic laws and never, ever exceed the speed limit, forget a turn signal or use a cell phone while driving
  • never eat fast food
  • would never even dream of illegally downloading music
  • never ever watch network TV and only watch education channels or DVDs
  • are extremely unique and unconventional (and thus were never understood or liked by any of our peers in high school)

buf 'when one curmudgeon just isn't enough' ungla

--------------------
"Pardon him. Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature."

George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra

Posts: 4847 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bufungla:

• are physically attractive (in an unconventional way, without being so skinny that we're unhealthy or look unrealistic)
  • only shop at mom and pop stores and never at any huge comglommerate-owned chain store
  • recycle and drive green cars (or only own SUVs because we absolutely have the need for such vehicles)
  • always obey all traffic laws and never, ever exceed the speed limit, forget a turn signal or use a cell phone while driving
  • never eat fast food
  • are extremely unique and unconventional (and thus were never understood or liked by any of our peers in high school)

Wait. Is that the list I'm supposed to conform to? Oh, crap. I'm going to get kicked off the board.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LikeHeyScoob
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LikeHeyScoob   E-mail LikeHeyScoob   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bufungla:
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:

(edit) Actually, to be fair, there have always been a lot of back-slappy posts about how great and intelligent and open-minded we all are. I find those a bit annoying too.

• never eat fast food

Well,

* I admit to being breathtakingly handsome.
But:
* I've been known to shop at Wal-Mart.
Though:
* My music collection is certainly odd, if not eclectic.
* I do vote, at least.
* I drive a Toyota Yaris. But I only traded in my Explorer when gas hit $3/gallon.
But:
* I drive as though Roscoe P. Coltrain was hot on my tail at all times.
Except that:
* I slow down for drive-thrus.
And:
* I don't own an ipod or a cd burner.
But:
* I watch network TV and crappy cable networks regularly.
However:
* I was extremely popular in high school, mostly because I am, as I stated earlier, breathtakingly handsome.

LikeHey"Who you calling a curmudgeon?"Scoob

--------------------
Support you local community newspaper! CNN.com probably won't be covering your child's spelling bee.

Posts: 609 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bufungla

Icon 18 posted      Profile for bufungla   Author's Homepage   E-mail bufungla   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LikeHeyScoob:
LikeHey"Who you calling a curmudgeon?"Scoob

Me, actually

buf '*knew* I should've referenced Rhi's post in my sig' ungla

--------------------
"Pardon him. Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature."

George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra

Posts: 4847 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, 10 out of 10........

that are not me......

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey buf! You forgot how we all excel at grammar.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
are physically attractive (in an unconventional way, without being so skinny that we're unhealthy or look unrealistic)
only shop at mom and pop stores and never at any huge comglommerate-owned chain store
have unbelievably eclectic music collections
vote, donate blood, and do volunteer work
recycle and drive green cars (or only own SUVs because we absolutely have the need for such vehicles)
always obey all traffic laws and never, ever exceed the speed limit, forget a turn signal or use a cell phone while driving
never eat fast food
would never even dream of illegally downloading music
never ever watch network TV and only watch education channels or DVDs
are extremely unique and unconventional (and thus were never understood or liked by any of our peers in high school)

-Attractive? Not any more.
-Shop at Walmart more than any other store and own stock in it.
-Eclectic music? I'm about a 13 out of 10 on that one. Bach, Mozart, Garth Brooks, POD, Nine Inch Nails, Christian Pop, Alt, Indie, incredbily obscure. . that's me! [Smile]
-Don't normally speed
-Seldom use cell phone in car
-Have never illegally downloaded a single song
-ONLY watch network TV for lack of cable
-Unique, unconventional and misunderstood? Yep. No one gets me, but Mooommmeee tries.

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop:
quote:
Originally posted by Silas Sparkhammer:

When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy.

Silas

Silas, may I steal this please? I need a new sig....
It would be my very great pleasure. I'm just glad I said "navel" and not the other bodily orifice mentioned by Danvers Carew!

Silas (I found a very nice silver tea service up *there* once)

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 97 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
  • do not let our friends have their baby circumcised

--------------------
Terrified, mortified, petrified, stupefied... by you!

Posts: 3157 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
  • never look at another attractive person for a second longer than is neccesary

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Island Manta

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Island Manta   E-mail Island Manta   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I have to admit I let real life get in the way of ME posting here. It just got to where too many people had personal problems...and frankly I had enough of my OWN to worry about.

Also, living in a tourist destination and working in the tourist industry...I was so tired, I would only check the boards I'm an Admin on...and email.

And for the record...I found the seekrit SLC site (long before snopes changed to this particular board software) before I even registered as a poster. Pissed people off....made amends and found some real good friends.

Now...I gotta go pump the bilge on me boat....so I'm gonna sign out for now [Smile]

-k

--------------------
"You never know when you will be attacked by a wild tortilla" - José Zavala
"Happiness isn't happiness without a violin playing goat"
Be good and you will be lonesome

Posts: 3569 | From: USVI | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop:
quote:

When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy.

Silas

Silas, may I steal this please? I need a new sig....
It would be my very great pleasure. I'm just glad I said "navel" and not the other bodily orifice mentioned by Danvers Carew!

Silas (I found a very nice silver tea service up *there* once)

Done. Thank you kindly.

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Noemi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
quote:
Originally posted by tagurit:
As regards the secret clubhouse outside of the SLC, I remember being told after it was exposed (as a means of making me feel better about the whole expose, I think) that I was being or had been considered; ie, that it was being discussed among the inhabitants of the secret spot whether or not to invite me in. I was simply alarmed by this. I was so freaked out that I went into read-only mode for several days. I just didn't quite know what to make of it.

It's invitation only? [Frown]

I thought people were talking about the snopes chat room on FleetChat, open to everyone. You mean there's a super double-secret clubhouse? Now I feel extremely out of the loop.

If I remember correctly it is something from an earlier incatnation of the board so it was gone some time ago. It's not anything you were out of the loop on really, except in a broad not even on the message board sort of way.

On the OP, I think the board has changed since I first joined, but really it's to be expected. People's posting habits wax and wane, new people join and add something different to the mix and so on.

Noemi

--------------------
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
My blog, no guarantees about witty or intelligent content. My current projects.
Coveted Beads <---- our eBay store, new items being added somewhat regularly

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Noemi, I think it was the hidden SLC which was related to the pre-Feb 2000 board format (which was before my time).

The super-secret snopesters' club, which it seems was revealed as being in existence a couple of years ago when SirKnight began his hiatus, is the one to which Cervus was referring.

Jenn has asked if it matters whether there is a secret club, and expresses the view that it does not, and is the same as using PMs, or having IRL meet-ups. Personally I think it is different. If the snopes forums can be likened to a village, which I think they can, then we can think of the various threads as corners of the village green*. It is perfectly reasonable for villagers to occasionally visit each other's houses (PMs, or the odd low-key IRL meet up), or to have a party (ie the various gatherings). PMs allow us to express thoughts and feelings which don't necessarily belong on the main forums (I seem to use them primarily to apologise to people for rude posts, alas, and to express sympathy in words which I cannot find on the forum). But there is no question of them being consciously secret, however private they may be. As witness the occasional cry of "your PM inbox is full" - hardly the mark of sinister secrecy, is it?

If there is a separate clubhouse which happens to overlap with snopes, that is one thing. Many of us have occasionally seen other snopesters on other boards. But if a secret club exists which is defined, or rather defines itself, as being an "inner circle", then I think it is analagous to a secret society in our little village. Whether it can be likened to the KKK or the freemasons, the principle is surely the same: it is, by definition, exclusionary, and it suggests that some posters see themselves as snopesier than others. Is it harmful? I don't know. Is it wrong? I think maybe it is.

Obviously I speak as one who isn't in the alleged inner circle. A Silas Marner figure, if you will. I don't suppose one can reasonably ask for a counterpoint from a member of the secret club, as it wouldn't be secret then.

*About seeing the forums as corners of the village green: we can wander through them, nodding to our friends and acquaintances on the way, laughing at the village idiot, pausing to watch constable Jenn discourage rowdy behaviour, and so on. Occasionally we will see Squire snopes out riding his bicycle, or Barbara judging the prize marrows at the village fete. I like this metaphor a lot, you know.

Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zachary Fizz:
*About seeing the forums as corners of the village green: we can wander through them, nodding to our friends and acquaintances on the way, laughing at the village idiot, pausing to watch constable Jenn discourage rowdy behaviour, and so on. Occasionally we will see Squire snopes out riding his bicycle, or Barbara judging the prize marrows at the village fete. I like this metaphor a lot, you know.

I hear "Saturday in the Park" as the soundtrack. Anachronistic, to be sure, but classic, nonetheless.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, the bicycle is anachronistic in that scene anyway, so Chicago songs should be acceptable.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Noemi

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Noemi, I think it was the hidden SLC which was related to the pre-Feb 2000 board format (which was before my time).

The super-secret snopesters' club, which it seems was revealed as being in existence a couple of years ago when SirKnight began his hiatus, is the one to which Cervus was referring.

Wow, that shows how far out of the loop I am, I had no idea they were two separate things. I do vaguely remember the flap from a few years but I didn't realize it was such a big thing, I just thought it was some inside jokes and kvetching that went too far.

quote:
Whether it can be likened to the KKK or the freemasons, the principle is surely the same: it is, by definition, exclusionary, and it suggests that some posters see themselves as snopesier than others. Is it harmful? I don't know. Is it wrong? I think maybe it is.
I agree with you on this point, and in many ways it disappoints me to see it happen. There's not much I can do about it, mostly because I can be pretty oblivious to those sort of things, but I definitely dislike it.

quote:
Obviously I speak as one who isn't in the alleged inner circle. A Silas Marner figure, if you will.
I'm definitely not part of the inner cicle either as evidenced by the fact that I didn't have an idea it even existed. I think in the terms of your excellent village green metaphor I'm the eccentric lady who tends to wander around deeply in thought and talking to herself.

Noemi "Hunh? What?"

--------------------
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
My blog, no guarantees about witty or intelligent content. My current projects.
Coveted Beads <---- our eBay store, new items being added somewhat regularly

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, Noemi, I would always have assumed that any inner circle worth its salt ought to have both you and Cervus as members (not because I think you are conspirator types, but just because you are both essential parts of the snopes community as I see it).

Which suggests that it isn't really that much of an inner circle, or that it doesn't exist at all and we are all now in a state of collective paranoia.

Or, that there is one, and they are fiendishly subtle and secret. Aargh. Look out - they're behind you! [Big Grin]

Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Which suggests that it isn't really that much of an inner circle, or that it doesn't exist at all and we are all now in a state of collective paranoia.
Perhaps it's a ULMBL: an Urban Legends Message Board Legend.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz

quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
Perhaps it's a ULMBL: an Urban Legends Message Board Legend.

If only there was a website we could go to which investigated that sort of thing. I heard there once was, but it degenerated into non-UL chat and navel gazing years ago.... [Wink]
Salamander
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Salamander   E-mail Salamander   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Actually, Noemi, I would always have assumed that any inner circle worth its salt ought to have both you and Cervus as members (not because I think you are conspirator types, but just because you are both essential parts of the snopes community as I see it).

Or, that there is one, and they are fiendishly subtle and secret. Aargh. Look out - they're behind you! [Big Grin]

I've been pondering this whole "secret club" thing and I think it is both preposterous and yet the reasons for people to think there is one are quite understandable.

It is the reasons for the misunderstanding that I wish to discuss.

For starters, there are a lot of active ULMB members. Not all are members are active in the same threads or even in the same sections of the board. I've no idea on the actual figures, but I'd imagine that over the course of a week there are probably a fairly large number of new threads created as well.

The end result is that apart from the dedicated few, most of us do not read all of the threads, all of the time. As a result of that, there are probably a large number of social interactions that we just simply are not aware have even happened. It might be a rousing debate/argument or discovery of common ground ("OMG... you like cross-stitching scenes from X-Men comics?? So do I!") but they're happening between people and we don't all see it.

I believe this is at least partially responsible for the impression that there is some sort of secret club. The mistake is assuming these things happen behind close doors when in fact the doors are wide open... it's just that the conversation happens outside of our focus.

ETA: The one exception to the "secret club" would be the fact that I imagine (although I could be wrong) there is some sort of administration forum that is otherwise not visible to regular members. If there is, and if it is anything like the admim forums I've been a part of elsewhere, I can tell you that we're not missing out on very much at all. They're usually about as much fun as watching soap dry.

--------------------
"victory thru self-deception"

Posts: 2211 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonlight
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight   E-mail moonlight   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the message boards have changed a bit, and I've changed a lot, which is why I'm not quite a regular anymore. But I can't stay away completely. [Smile]

--------------------
I'm back to lurking.

Posts: 2709 | From: Illinois | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz

But Salamander, two snopesters have made posts on this thread which indicate that a super-secret snopesters club did at one point exist. So, unless the snopesters in question were mistaken or the victims of some joke, it can't really be all that preposterous as it actually happened.
frogpond
Jingle Sales

Icon 08 posted      Profile for frogpond   E-mail frogpond   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow. The talk of a secret club must have been before I started posting or even lurking. I'd never heard of it before this thread.

I do recall some squabbling over in-jokes and private messages (along with a major rant about fluff bunny threads) when I first found my way to this board. I didn't worry about it too much because that sort of thing tends to happen in any group of people that numbers more than two. I've posted viewpoints that appear to upset or at least annoy other board members so it is quite possible I've been the subject of irate pms myself. As long as no one indicates publicly they've been discussing me behind my virtual back I wouldn't have a clue. There's no tell-tale hush when you log on to alert you something is up!

If there is a secret club that doesn't want me there isn't anything I could possibly do about it. You can't force your way in and saying that it shouldn't exist would just make the super-secret members positive you don't belong. If such a club does exist I hope that anything exciting discussed makes it to the public board but missing in-jokes and personal chit-chat probably won't hurt the rest of us..

I find the large and varied membership of this board is what makes it interesting to me. Though some seem to think that all the posters subscribe to the same ideals and lifestyles I find this to be not at all the case! What we do seem to have in common for the most part is a certain amount of ability for intelligent discussion and coherently expressed posts. (Yes, I include IND, he's perfectly understandable when he wants to be!)

--------------------
So many books, so little time.

Posts: 1192 | From: McDonough, Georgia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mouse goddess
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mouse goddess   E-mail mouse goddess   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh Salamander!! You cross-stitch Xmen!! We should compare projects.

I found the most awesome shiny red Mylar thread that I've been using for Mr. Sinister's eyes, I just have a problem with it streching.

--------------------
"this could increase your brain power, or it could kill you..." "Increase my killing power, ehh???"

Posts: 1153 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Drainfluid
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drainfluid   E-mail Drainfluid   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it the message board that has changed or just us as individuals?

When I first stumbled across this site I eagerly read everything, then registered and posted a lot in the first few weeks.

But then after a while you realise that a lot of the discussion repeats itself (ad nauseum sometimes)and attendance no longer becomes compulsory.

Now I just dip in every now and then and post rarely.

Posts: 305 | From: South Africa | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:

No? How about:

If you don't respect the navel, the navel won't respect you...
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doc J.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc J.   E-mail Doc J.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Morrigan:
I remember when I first came here (five years ago! My how does time fly!) a thing called (I believe) the "penalty box." And there was almost always a name in it. And not always the same name.

The penalty box was a fleeting thing, and as far as I remember only ever had 3 residents:

Myself, Doghouse Reilly and JK Will

The latter two were subsequently deleted.

I am merely on hiatus.

Posts: 3100 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz

Ah, Doc J, the Cooler King [Big Grin]

It's nice to see you here again.

Doc J.

Icon 214 posted      Profile for Doc J.   E-mail Doc J.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ah, Doc J, the Cooler King [Big Grin]

It's nice to see you here again.

I pop by from time to time, although sadly I haven't had anything constructive to add recently.

Anyway, seasons greetings to one and all.

Posts: 3100 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc J.:
I pop by from time to time, although sadly I haven't had anything constructive to add recently.

Anyway, seasons greetings to one and all.

That doesn't stop the rest of us...

Happy Christmas!

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages