snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Cryptic Christmas carols for DD

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cryptic Christmas carols for DD
sparklygirl
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 05 posted      Profile for sparklygirl   E-mail sparklygirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
DD needed some help with her homework tonight. We have figured out all but two of these cryptic Christmas carols (I put the two we don't have in bold text . I posted all of them though as I found some amusing. I thought perhaps you could help us out. I am sure I'll slap my forehead when someone posts the answer. [dunce]

Sparklygirl

Embellish interior passageways: Deck the Halls

Vertically challenged adolescent percussionist:

Caribou with vermillion olfactory appendage:

It's arrival occurred at twelve o'clock during a clement nocturnal period:

Righteous darkeness:

Singular yearning for the twin anterior incisors:

First person singular experiencing an hallucinatory phenomenon of natal celebration devoid of color:

Allow crystalline formations to descend:

Exclamatory remark concerning a diminutive municipality in Judea southwest of Jerulalem:

Nocturnal noiselessness:

Omnipotent supreme being elicit respite to ecstatic distinguished males:

Query regarding the identity of descendant:

Bipedal traveling through an amazing acreage during the period between December 21st and March 21st in the northern hemisphere:

Red man en roughte to borough:

Proceed and enlighten on the pinnacle:

Dueodecimal enumeration of the passage of the Yuletide season:

Move hither the entire assembly of those who are loyal in their belief:

We are Kong, Lear, and Nat Cole:

The Yuletide occurrence preceding all others:

I beheld a trio of nautical vessels moving in this direction:

Jubilation of the entire terrestrial globe:

Do you perceive the same vibrations, which stimulate my auditory sense organ?:

Vehicular homicide was committed on Dad's mom by a precipitous darling:

Boulder of the tinkling metal spheres:

Far off in a feeder:

Jovial Yuletide desired for the second person singular or plural by the first person plural:

Listen, the winged heavenly messengers are proclaiming tunefully:

Parent was observed osculating a red-coated unshaven teamster:

Cup-shaped instruments fashioned of a whitish metallic element:

A joyful song of reverence relative to hollow metallic vessels which vibrate and bring forth a ringing sound when struck:

At the zenith of the habitat:

During the time ovine caretaker supervised their charges:

Seraphim we are aurally detected in the stratosphere:

Hence arriveth Kris Kringle:

Melancholy Yuletide:

Famous crystalline caricature with spherical optic orans made of a combustible carbon-based substance:

Honorable monarch of Wenceslas lineage:

First person singular predicting arrival at own domicle for Yuletide season:

Exclamatory remark concerning a festive perennial:

White and yellow malleable metallic elements:

Journey in open conveyance with runners:

--------------------
Few things are harder to put up with than a good example. -- Mark Twain
_ _______________________________ _

For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Posts: 34 | From: SW Missouri | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TallGeekyGirl
O Read, O Read, The Manual

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TallGeekyGirl   Author's Homepage   E-mail TallGeekyGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I Saw Three Ships Come Sailing By

and

When Shepherds Watched Their Flocks By Night.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
See, if I tell you about it, it won't be a mystery. It'll just be a fact, an ugly, moist fact, squatting on your brain like an octopus. And you don't want an octopus squatting on your brain, do you, son? -- Stan Smith, American Dad

Posts: 980 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I beheld a trio of nautical vessels moving in this direction: I saw three ships come sailing in.

During the time ovine caretaker supervised their charges: While shepherds watched their flocks.

Festively spanked by TGG. That's what I get for too much Googling.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sparklygirl

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparklygirl   E-mail sparklygirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
DD thanks you!!!

Sparklygirl

--------------------

Posts: 34 | From: SW Missouri | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LadyLockeout
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LadyLockeout   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Vertically challenged adolescent percussionist: - The Little Drummer Boy

Caribou with vermillion olfactory appendage: Rudolph the rednosed reindeer

It's arrival occurred at twelve o'clock during a clement nocturnal period: - It came upon a midnight clear

Singular yearning for the twin anterior incisors - all I want for christmas is my two front teeth

give me a few minutes, I'll get some more [Smile]

ETA:

Honorable monarch of Wenceslas lineage: - good king wenceslas

A joyful song of reverence relative to hollow metallic vessels which vibrate and bring forth a ringing sound when struck: - Carol of the bells (I think)

Listen, the winged heavenly messengers are proclaiming tunefully: - Hark! The herald angels sing

Far off in a feeder: - away in a manger

Move hither the entire assembly of those who are loyal in their belief: - oh come all ye faithful

We are Kong, Lear, and Nat Cole: - we three kings

Nocturnal noiselessness: - silent night

ok, I'll stop now and give others a chance. [Smile]

ETA2: whoops, I misread. It was fun anyway. (ponders the bolded ones) I need to show this to DH. That'll keep him busy

--------------------
Katesune: We still can't find the way to albuquerque, and glisp won't stop to ask for directions.
Glisp42: Of course not. I know where I'm going, I just don't know where I am right now

Twisted Links

Posts: 2599 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Righteous darkeness: Holy night

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jusenkyo no Pikachu
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jusenkyo no Pikachu     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LadyLockeout:
ETA2: whoops, I misread. It was fun anyway. (ponders the bolded ones) I need to show this to DH. That'll keep him busy

Ooh! Another festive spanking! Can I watch?

And it's my turn:

Do you perceive the same vibrations, which stimulate my auditory sense organ?: Do You Hear What I Hear?

Red man en roughte to borough: Santa Claus (or Karl Marx) is Coming To Town

Proceed and enlighten on the pinnacle: Go Tell It On a Mountain

Dueodecimal enumeration of the passage of the Yuletide season: The Twelve Days Of Christmas

Move hither the entire assembly of those who are loyal in their belief: O Come All Ye Faithful

Hence arriveth Kris Kringle: Here Comes Santa Claus

--------------------
"Never underestimate a nerd from outer space."
--Von, that alien from that Kids Incorporated episode.

Posts: 1189 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LyndaD
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyndaD   E-mail LyndaD   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

Angels We Have Heard on High

--------------------
I'll drive it ugly. You can't see the paint job when you're behind the wheel, anyway.

Posts: 570 | From: Central Valley, California | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kmcm
We Three Blings

Icon 219 posted      Profile for kmcm   Author's Homepage   E-mail kmcm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got all but one, i think. This was fun.(ETA: got it!)

Embellish interior passageways: Deck the Halls

Vertically challenged adolescent percussionist: Little Drummer Boy

Caribou with vermillion olfactory appendage: Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer

It's arrival occurred at twelve o'clock during a clement nocturnal period: It Came Upon a Midnight Clear

Righteous darkeness: O Holy Night

Singular yearning for the twin anterior incisors: All I want for Christmas is my Two Front Teeth

First person singular experiencing an hallucinatory phenomenon of natal celebration devoid of color: I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Allow crystalline formations to descend: Let It Snow

Exclamatory remark concerning a diminutive municipality in Judea southwest of Jerulalem: O Little Town of Bethlehem

Nocturnal noiselessness: Silent Night

Omnipotent supreme being elicit respite to ecstatic distinguished males: God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

Query regarding the identity of descendant: What Child is This?

Bipedal traveling through an amazing acreage during the period between December 21st and March 21st in the northern hemisphere: Walking in a Winter Wonderland

Red man en roughte to borough: Santa Claus is Coming to Town

Proceed and enlighten on the pinnacle: Go tell it on the mountain

Dueodecimal enumeration of the passage of the Yuletide season: The 12 days of Christmas

Move hither the entire assembly of those who are loyal in their belief: O Come All Ye Faithful

We are Kong, Lear, and Nat Cole: We Three Kings

The Yuletide occurrence preceding all others: The First Noel

I beheld a trio of nautical vessels moving in this direction: I Saw Three Ships

Jubilation of the entire terrestrial globe: Joy to the World

Do you perceive the same vibrations, which stimulate my auditory sense organ?: Do you Hear What I Hear?

Vehicular homicide was committed on Dad's mom by a precipitous darling: Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer

Boulder of the tinkling metal spheres: Jingle Bell Rock

Far off in a feeder: Away in a Manger

Jovial Yuletide desired for the second person singular or plural by the first person plural: We wish you a merry christmas

Listen, the winged heavenly messengers are proclaiming tunefully: Hark, The Herald Angels Sing

Parent was observed osculating a red-coated unshaven teamster: I saw mommy kissing santa claus

Cup-shaped instruments fashioned of a whitish metallic element: Silver Bells

A joyful song of reverence relative to hollow metallic vessels which vibrate and bring forth a ringing sound when struck: Carol of the Bells

At the zenith of the habitat: Up on the Housetop

During the time ovine caretaker supervised their charges: While Shepards Watched

Seraphim we are aurally detected in the stratosphere: Angels We Have Heard on High

Hence arriveth Kris Kringle: Here comes Santa Claus

Melancholy Yuletide: Blue Christmas

Famous crystalline caricature with spherical optic orans made of a combustible carbon-based substance: Frosty the Snowman

Honorable monarch of Wenceslas lineage: Good King Wenceslas

First person singular predicting arrival at own domicle for Yuletide season: I'll Be Home For Christmas

Exclamatory remark concerning a festive perennial: The Most Wonderful Day of the Year

White and yellow malleable metallic elements: Silver and Gold

Journey in open conveyance with runners: Sleigh Ride

--------------------
Of course this land is dangerous! All of the animals are capably murderous. Especially the penguins.

i'm a figment of my own imagination, sometimes i don't exist

Posts: 1099 | From: Kitsap County, WA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TallGeekyGirl

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TallGeekyGirl   Author's Homepage   E-mail TallGeekyGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Proceed and enlighten on the pinnacle: Come Ye Lofty (maybe)
Go Tell It On The Mountain. [Big Grin]

--------------------
See, if I tell you about it, it won't be a mystery. It'll just be a fact, an ugly, moist fact, squatting on your brain like an octopus. And you don't want an octopus squatting on your brain, do you, son? -- Stan Smith, American Dad

Posts: 980 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kmcm
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kmcm   Author's Homepage   E-mail kmcm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TallGeekyGirl:
quote:
Proceed and enlighten on the pinnacle: Come Ye Lofty (maybe)
Go Tell It On The Mountain. [Big Grin]
You posted just before i edited it to fix it...You rock!

--------------------
Of course this land is dangerous! All of the animals are capably murderous. Especially the penguins.

Posts: 1099 | From: Kitsap County, WA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TallGeekyGirl

Wow, thanks! [Big Grin]

--------------------

sparklygirl

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparklygirl   E-mail sparklygirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kmcm:

I thought it was a rather fun homework assignment (DD's language arts teacher is a good one) and wanted to share. I was surprised DD didn't know more of these carols--although we don't go to church and she doesn't watch much TV.
Sparklygirl

--------------------

kmcm
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kmcm   Author's Homepage   E-mail kmcm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sparklygirl:
quote:
Originally posted by kmcm:

I thought it was a rather fun homework assignment (DD's language arts teacher is a good one) and wanted to share. I was surprised DD didn't know more of these carols--although we don't go to church and she doesn't watch much TV.
Sparklygirl

Hee hee, i pulled up a list of christmas carols and matched them up with the list.

--------------------

Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, I was just getting ready to go look on a search engine from something similar for our holiday party next week, and here I find one posted.

Thank you, sparklygirl!

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages