snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Toronto and area snopester meet: the birthday cake is divine!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Toronto and area snopester meet: the birthday cake is divine!
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 24 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So we got together yesterday. We blasphemed, we lusted and we watched some hockey. Oh, and we also talked to people across the continent.

You know, we need to do this more often!

So after lunch at the restaurant with NobleHunter and Nonny, as well as TwoGuys, foglifter, MapleLeaf, Squeaky and her companion, we paid a visit to the local supermarket. We had a birthday cake to pick up.

MapleLeaf was quite happy with the cake. But we were honoured when Bobblehead Jesus also showed up for the festivities. We then all sang Happy Birthday, Mr. Saviour, thereby guaranteeing a seat in hell for the lot of us. [lol]

MapleLeaf bonded with our new friend, so not all was lost. And we did attack the cake like there was no tomorrow.

Of course, what would a Toronto meet be without everyone in my bed?

Yes, we all had a good time. Of course, some had a better time than others. Much, much better. [lol]

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Yleemjseg
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yleemjseg   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice. It's a shame i had prior engagements. Had i come to this one, i might not have passed out in a restaurant washroom.
Posts: 225 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yleemjseg, why did you pass out in a restaurant washroom? I noticed you said that in another thread and didn't want to pry, but since you've posted it twice (that I've seen), I'm asking because I'm concerned that you may have been ill. Was there someone with you to help you? What a scary experience that must have been. I hope you're okay, now.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:
And we did attack the cake like there was no tomorrow.

Roman workmanship, I assume?

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Yleemjseg
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yleemjseg   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, it was weird. I don't know why, since i'd only had two drinks. One of the guys in the party came in to the restroom to see if i was okay, and my nausea/dizzy spell had passed, so i said i was okay. so, i'm standing next to him at the sink, and next thing i know, he's puttting me in a chair. Half an hour later, i was fine again.
He's a strong, athletic guy, and i'm a rake, so he caught me and carried me easily. My wife was feeling dizzy earlier in the day, so i think we might have caught some weird bug, and maybe the little bit of alcohol i had made things worse for me. Passing out is very disorienting, and i think i've only ever done it once before.

Thinking about it, if i was out, maybe it was better that i was with him, and another girl in our group was a First Medical Responder. Not that i don't trust the snopes meet people, but these friends knew me better and i was much closer to home. (you know, to put it back on topic) I would have liked some Jesus cake though.

I appreciate the concern, and i will try to make the next meet, and stay concious throughout.

I don't think that there were enough candles on the cake. Canuckistan has mentioned to me that they represent the 12 days of Christmas, but i think that if it's a birthday, there should be 2006 candles.

Edited for typos made while trying to type and hold a baby at the same time.

Posts: 225 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glisp42
I'm Dreaming Of A White iPod

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glisp42   Author's Homepage   E-mail glisp42   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Screw a midwest meet. I'm coming up for a Toronto meet. Y'all look like you had a good time.

--------------------
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK" and other lingo mean?

And we'll collect the moments one by one I guess that's how the future's done. -Feist

Posts: 1641 | From: Kansas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yleemjseg:
i'm a rake

Aw, don't put yourself down like that. You seem very nice to me.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bonnie
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 402 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jenn:
quote:

Which just goes to show that you can have your cake and eat et tu, Brute.

-- Bonnie

--------------------
Se non è vero, è ben trovato.

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bonnie:
quote:
quote:

-- Bonnie

[Eek!] No! No! BAD! [Smile]

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bonnie:
quote:
quote:

-- Bonnie

Okay, I love puns and can drive people bonkers with them, but that one was just too much, even for me!  - Loved it!

Yleemjseg, glad to hear you're okay and hope you guys are over whatever bug that was. I've only passed out a few times, and it's an awful feeling. I hate the feeling right before - kind of nauseated and in a cold sweat. Yecch.

Canuckie, looks like you guys had a blast. There are six people in your bed but eight, counting you, were listed as attending the meet. Did NobleHunter take that photo? I recognize others from previous photos, but please name each of the two young ladies. Which one is foglifter, and which one is Squeaky. Did I miss a photo of Squeaky's companion? Thanks, Pal.

Oh, and there seems to be a disproportionate number of photos of MapleLeaf. Hmmmm. [Wink]

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GiftHunter
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiftHunter     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm stealing the answer from Canuckistan, bwahahaha. And why do I look terrible in all the pics, hmmmm?

The bed photo was taken by Squeaky's boyfriend, who should be showing up here in the near future if he knows what's good for him.

Nonny wasn't able to stay after she got syphilis and gonorrhea from Twoguys. That or she had previous obligations or something.

Squeaky is the pretty one in the jester hat on the left and foglifter is the pretty girl on the right. I'm the one sprawled out at the foot of the bed.

--------------------
There are two constants in life: there is no god but God and this too shall pass. Everything else, including death and taxes, is negotiable.

Posts: 108 | From: Peterborough, Ontario | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago, G.R.I.T.S.:
Canuckie, looks like you guys had a blast. There are six people in your bed but eight, counting you, were listed as attending the meet. Did NobleHunter take that photo? I recognize others from previous photos, but please name each of the two young ladies. Which one is foglifter, and which one is Squeaky. Did I miss a photo of Squeaky's companion? Thanks, Pal.

Wow. Demanding little thing, aren't ya? [Razz]

quote:
Oh, and there seems to be a disproportionate number of photos of MapleLeaf.
Well, he keeps doing insane things. What do you expect?

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GiftHunter
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiftHunter     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You keep asking him to do insane things.

And here I'd thought that I had managed to spank Canuckistan but he didn't answer Signora's questions so I didn't. [Frown]

And, yes, I could've done it at the meet, but then it would have ended up on camera, and who knows where that would have ended.

--------------------
There are two constants in life: there is no god but God and this too shall pass. Everything else, including death and taxes, is negotiable.

Posts: 108 | From: Peterborough, Ontario | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So...here I am at home, typing a message (to Doug4.7) on snopes...and suddenly I get a phone call from a bunch of drunk Canadians!

It was so cool! We are all in complete and utter awe at this world: hooray for the "information age" where we, who have interests in common but are otherwise wholly disparate, can find each other!

I was so at a loss for words, I kept saying "Gosh," and "Jeepers" and "Jinkies" and even "Gollywompers!"

Love ya, Canuckistan! Never stop partying!

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you  - NobleGiftHunter! I just couldn't figure it out by myself. I think one reason I was so confused is because you look very different in that photo, with your face kind of upside-downish, and I had wondered if maybe you were Squeaky's fellow.

Yep, Canuckie, I'm demanding, but did you notice I usually get what I want? Send me all of your money.
::insert maniacal laughter here.::  -

MapleLeaf does seem like a real cut-up  - , so I suppose that's understandable. I thought maybe he bribed  - you, or something.

--------------------

Canuckistan

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GiftHunter:
You keep asking him to do insane things.

Nah, he kept volunteering. And you know that's true.

quote:
And here I'd thought that I had managed to spank Canuckistan but he didn't answer Signora's questions so I didn't. [Frown]
Why would I answer Signora's questions when you had already answered them for me?

quote:
And, yes, I could've done it at the meet, but then it would have ended up on camera, and who knows where that would have ended.
Probably on The Smoking Gun. [Eek!]

quote:
Originally posted by Silas Sparkhammer:
So...here I am at home, typing a message (to Doug4.7) on snopes...and suddenly I get a phone call from a bunch of drunk Canadians!

It was so cool! We are all in complete and utter awe at this world: hooray for the "information age" where we, who have interests in common but are otherwise wholly disparate, can find each other!

I was so at a loss for words, I kept saying "Gosh," and "Jeepers" and "Jinkies" and even "Gollywompers!"

Love ya, Canuckistan! Never stop partying!

It just wouldn't be a Toronto meet if we didn't call Silas. It just wouldn't, I tells ya!

ETA: And, of course, I love you too, Silas!

--------------------

Rhea
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhea     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I will need to find a way to move to Canada. What's the weather in Toronto like?
Posts: 1201 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Right now, it's actually not bad. But you have to like both extremely humid and extreme windchills -- sometimes in the same hour!

Oh, to those who were here last night: in my cleanup, I found a calendar and a pair of mittens. If they are yours, contact me.

--------------------

Rhea
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhea     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Right now, it's actually not bad. But you have to like both extremely humid and extreme windchills -- sometimes in the same hour!

Sounds like home. [Smile]

It's not really on a coast, but it's next to a big lake, which is close enough. And it has at least one university which I assume has a medical program.

Ok, I'm moving.

(Now that I look at the map it seems Toronto is just a little bit further away than Philly. Odd, I always pictured Canada to be really far away.)

Posts: 1201 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jocko's Jolly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jocko's Jolly   E-mail Jocko's Jolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Oh, to those who were here last night: in my cleanup, I found a calendar and a pair of mittens. If they are yours, contact me.

Pshaw -- that's nothing. When we got married, I stayed at a hotel the night before the wedding (the reception site) and DH and the groomsmen stayed at our house and got ready for the wedding there. When DH and I came back from our honeymoon I found a pair of leopard-print briefs behind our master bathroom door! [Eek!]

And they turned out to be from the one guy I would have least suspected.

--------------------
Like every good third-in-a-series it contains a whole load of ewoks, ‘Clubber’ Lang, whey-faced Sophia Coppola, Sean Connery as the Pirate Captain’s estranged dad, a crappy CGI alien, and Richard Pryor on a donkey. -- Gideon Defoe

Posts: 2211 | From: Harford County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TwoGuyswithaHat
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwoGuyswithaHat   E-mail TwoGuyswithaHat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Everyone was at least somewhat sadly disapointed to discover that I was but one guy, and for the first part of the evening I was not even wearing a hat!

I did make up for it though, as a set of pictures exist of me as TwoHatswithaGuy as well as the rainbow flamed candles upon Jesus' bday cake. Though I think those will have to wait until Squeaky uploads her photos.

quote:
Originally posted by Rhea:
(Now that I look at the map it seems Toronto is just a little bit further away than Philly. Odd, I always pictured Canada to be really far away.)

If you are in the right part of PA, you can even get a radio station from London. Rumour has it FM96 is even the #1 radio station in Erie.

--------------------
In politics, absurdity is not a handicap - Napoleon Bonaparte

Posts: 1801 | From: The Forest City, Ontario | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jocko's Jolly:
When we got married, I stayed at a hotel the night before the wedding (the reception site) and DH and the groomsmen stayed at our house and got ready for the wedding there. When DH and I came back from our honeymoon I found a pair of leopard-print briefs behind our master bathroom door! [Eek!]

And they turned out to be from the one guy I would have least suspected.

Pat Robertson?

--------------------

Jocko's Jolly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jocko's Jolly   E-mail Jocko's Jolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No, but you're close, the guy is a cantor at Mass at his church. I was able to embarass him years later when I asked his wife if he still had the leopard-prints (he wasn't married or even dating her at the time of our wedding)!

I also found out from DH and the guys that another friend of his from law school has a foot fetish -- at DH's bachelor party, they went to some strip clubs and this guy kept trying to bribe the dancers into taking off their shoes!

It's amazing what one finds out about one's friends. It also makes it hard to carry on normal conversations sometimes (I keep fighting this urge to ask his wife what kind of shoes she has in the closet at home!). Luckily we don't see them often enough to make this painful!

--------------------
Like every good third-in-a-series it contains a whole load of ewoks, ‘Clubber’ Lang, whey-faced Sophia Coppola, Sean Connery as the Pirate Captain’s estranged dad, a crappy CGI alien, and Richard Pryor on a donkey. -- Gideon Defoe

Posts: 2211 | From: Harford County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It will be a bit before I get my pics up as I'm waiting for the next photo challenge to finish off my film, but I have a lovely posed shot of Gonorrhea and Syphilis getting cozy (as they do) and one of Squeaky almost YOMANKING all over the table at something He-Who-Comes-As-A-Free-Bonus-Gift-When-You-Order-Squeaky said.

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
callee
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for callee         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like you all had fun, I wish I could have made it. Alas, a 3 hour drive just wasn't in the cards. hopfully next time. I feel left out of canuck's bed.

--------------------
a moment for old friends now estranged, victims of the flux of alliances and changing perceptions. There was something there once, and that something is worth honoring as well. - John Carroll

Posts: 3375 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Minstrel gone caroling
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I feel very honored to have received a phone call from the people in Canuckie's bed. And having Canadians discuss hockey with me as if I were an equal was also an honor. [Wink]

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.
My blog. The Adventures of the Fish O'Thwacking.
Countdown: 177 days (or less!)

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 301 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by callee:
I feel left out of canuck's bed.

Don't worry. I always take a picture of you to bed with me. That way, you'll always be there with me. Together. [Eek!]

[Razz]

quote:
Originally posted by Minstrel gone caroling:
I feel very honored to have received a phone call from the people in Canuckie's bed. And having Canadians discuss hockey with me as if I were an equal was also an honor. [Wink]

Yeah, we won't hold the whole ... :shudder: ... Red Wings thing against you. [Razz]

--------------------

LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Minstrel gone caroling:

Oh, that reminds me - Silas had the best hockey quote of the night:

Me: We were just watching the hockey game. The Leafs beat the New York Rangers 9-2!

Silas: Well, I guess it's our fault for trying to get involved.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NancyFancyPants
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NancyFancyPants     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like you had a great time...and I wouldn't have had to worry about the weather at all. So I still went to my annoying 3-hour rehearsal and missed getting into bed with Canuck. Plus the Pens got their asses kicked by Montreal. Life just isn't fair.

--------------------
And on the 7th day, God said, "Let there be lips!"

Posts: 296 | From: Munhall, PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages