snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Pacific Northwest Windstorm!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pacific Northwest Windstorm!
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 221 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I managed to time it so my commute home last night was during the worst of the rainy part of the storm (and during the rush-hour migration of many to the Seahawks game). I slogged through several 'lakes' on the freeway through Seattle, but eventually made it home safely, with a stop to get assorted batteries.

My husband had a harder time. Both of the onramps near his workplace were closed due to flooding. He had to take a lengthy detour just to get on the freeway, but once there his trip was relatively uneventful.

The wind started while we were eating dinner. And I had just finished getting ready for bed when the power went out, around 9:45. We put batteries in our portable TV/radio, and I turned on the local newsradio station to hear the drama unfold.

Our power came back on for just long enough to wake us up at about 5:30 am, then off again. It was still out when I left for work, and my husband (who has the morning off) hasn't called to tell me it is back on yet. I'm hoping all the stuff in our freezer in the garage will survive.

There was no obvious damage to our house or the immediate neighborhood, although we did have someone else's garbage can in our driveway this morning.

I'm more concerned about my father-in-law, who has Alzheimer's and is on oxygen. I passed his residence on my way out and it looked like their power was out. However, just before the recent snow storm, his caregivers arranged for an extra portable tank to keep on hand, so he should be OK in that respect. I asked my husband to stop in and check this morning.

So, those of you who can, share your storm tales. I hope everyone is OK.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Tootsie, those storms look miserable!

I don't know if your local power company does this, but ours makes a priority of repairing "Critical need" power lines, where there are customers who use oxygen or other services. Not that it helps when the entire grid is down, of course. One of our neighbors has installed a decent-sized generator for his wife who is bed-ridden and on oxygen, as well. If I ever wake up wondering whether the power is on, all I have to do is listen for the genny.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I read the story on MSNBC and thought of you NW snopesters, and my other friends out there. Hope everybody's all right.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
daisyslegs
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisyslegs     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
ok here. just some downed trees and power lines. We got our power back on early this morning.

Heck of a storm! We don't usually get good ones like that! It seemed to start winding up in the late afternoon while I was driving home from a dr. appointment in Woodburn. several "lakes" to drive thropugh and the wind was battering the car bad. Makes driving fun. [Smile]

--------------------
~tough as nails yet nice as pie~
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar.
"and don't threaten anyone with your pants today!" - Frog_Feathers
daisys does Myspace

Posts: 3206 | From: Molalla, OR | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette

Icon 219 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If I have a chance today I'm hoping to touch base with some of my friends, particularly those who have tall trees near or around their homes.

Seaboe, you there?

ETA: Seaboe just sent a text message to my phone. She has power at home, but not at work.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Although it flashed off and on several times, my power was only really out for a couple of hours (about 2am to 4am). I woke up around 4:30 long enough to re-set my alarm and turn the rest-warmer (heated mattress pad) back on. I only had to make one detour on the way into work this morning, too.

A friend of mine who was visiting last night called me this morning and said that during his drive home, the sky was just lighting up everywhere from transformers blowing. That was around 8 o'clock.

According to the news, some areas of Beaverton aren't expected to get power on until early next week, due to the number of downed power poles (they showed a row of eight poles down in one area). A cold front is supposed to be coming in, so I sure hope the people affected have somewhere warm to go.

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Die Capacitrix
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Die Capacitrix     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mom called to let me know they are okay (North Seattle area). The odd thing is that their phone isn't putting out digital signals. My dad called the doctor and the answer system gives the options to press 1 for blah, press 2 for, etc. He had to wait on the line until someone took the call.

He and the neighbor had to clean out the drains - there was a lake growing in the road. Then the power went out around 11 pm. So far they don't have power, but they have a woodstove, so heat's not a problem. They may get an opportunity to clean out their fridge. Since the freezer's absolutely filled, they're not worried about its contents, unless the power stays out until tomorrow.

--------------------
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces." Judith Viorst

Posts: 1082 | From: Luzern, Switzerland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NewZer0
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NewZer0   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Early this week, practically at the last minute, I flew to WI to help take care of my mom. I guess, luckily, I've missed all of the storms.

One of my friends in Corvallis sent me a text message last night that the power was out ("wind" he said) and that he and another friend were cooking by candle light.

I haven't heard if the power is back.

I hope everyone out there is okay!

--NewZer0

--------------------
I study medieval literature because that's where the money is.

Posts: 1431 | From: Corvallis, OR | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Tootsie, thanks for starting this thread. I came in here earlier to start one but got side-tracked. Glad to hear from you and to know that Seaboe is in touch and others are okay, too.

Has anyone heard from YeeMum?
daisyslegs, if you hear from her, please let her know we're thinking about her. Thanks.

Love and good wishes to all of those coping with this storm.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aimee Evilpixie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aimee Evilpixie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Aimee Evilpixie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
While I was at work yesterday, around 4:30-5, there was a RIVER flowing down 4th Ave. I took a picture with my camera phone. I mean, it was easily 6 inches deep in places. Since to get home I walk straight up James, I was understandably worried about having to walk home wading uphill through a waterfall.

The guys at the office were worried about getting home at all. Some of them asked me, only half-joking, if they could crash at my place.

Fortunately, the rain had stopped and the winds had started when I did walk home. The winds were quite helpful, since they were coming off the Sound and blowing me uphill. Made my walk a little easier, actually.

We never lost power, but the sound of the wind outside kept waking me up. And the cat decided to walk on me several times last night...

Aimee "Hopefully I'll get more sleep tonight" Evilpixie

--------------------
Ugg want you find JESUS!

My website!

Posts: 1853 | From: Washington (The State) | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose that is one good thing about living in this part of the state- I'm in no danger from trees. It is a horrible wet mess here though, we still had snow and the pounding rains have made everything into a half-frozen, slushy mess. I'm not sure how safe it is going to be to drive out of our driveway onto the gravel road, as the washed-out area is now about twice its previous size and completely overflowing with rainwater, but it seems my husband made it out ok this morning. We had a brief power outage, maybe twenty minutes, around midnight. It's still blowing pretty good out this way but we're more or less used to it over here. I hope I don't have to drive the van though, it's scary in a higher-profile vehicle. [Frown]

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wicked Tinkerbell
Hock Harold Angel's Bling

Icon 221 posted      Profile for Wicked Tinkerbell   E-mail Wicked Tinkerbell   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NewZer0:
Early this week, practically at the last minute, I flew to WI to help take care of my mom. I guess, luckily, I've missed all of the storms.

One of my friends in Corvallis sent me a text message last night that the power was out ("wind" he said) and that he and another friend were cooking by candle light.

I haven't heard if the power is back.

I hope everyone out there is okay!

--NewZer0

The power is back on in Corvallis (most of it, at least). My department has power. I heard from someone in a different department (further west than me) that didn't have power this morning. [They were still required to come in & sit in the dark until power was restored.] Maintenance was out cleaning up debris this morning. I haven't heard of any major damage, yet.

A friend, who lives on Witham Hill, said that she didn't have power for 12 hours. Her family slept in front of the fireplace. Winco was running on generators last night.

It was hailing about an hour ago...now the sun is out [Confused] .

edited to fix word

--------------------
"I'm not Irish, I'm Celtic. The difference? Celts cut off your head and put it on their door lintel." --Aimee Evilpixie
"People are bastard-covered bastards with bastard filling."--Scrubs

Posts: 269 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wicked Tinkerbell

Icon 216 posted      Profile for Wicked Tinkerbell   E-mail Wicked Tinkerbell   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Last night, my trip from work (Corvallis) to home (in the sticks) was very interesting. Nothing like trying to drive a compact car in high winds. People still wanted to drive 70mph in a 55 zone despite the winds + rain + debris in the road.

The road debris increased in amount & size the closer I got to home: branches, wood planks, & other unidentified items littered the road.

Lost power several times.

--------------------
"I'm not Irish, I'm Celtic. The difference? Celts cut off your head and put it on their door lintel." --Aimee Evilpixie

Posts: 269 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Clarity
Toys to the World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarity   E-mail Clarity   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Call me frivolous, but I thought the storm was amazing. I didn't have anyplace I needed to go (I live on campus at my college) so the wind and rain and flying debris were pretty exciting! I went for a walk in the storm to watch the trees whipping around, and the sky was a really strange orange color. It wasn't cold, which surprised me the most. So I stood on the edge of of an open field, played around with standing in the wind that almost knocked me off my feet, sheets of rain flying in my face, and felt so alive. I ended up soaked through to the skin and my hair was a wild rats nest, but boy that was fun.
I do sympathize for anyone who had to drive in that, though... Falling branches and lakes of rain and wild wind gusts- sometimes you gotta give in and say, "Nature, you win. I'm at your mercy."

--------------------
Kevin: Pink Bunkadoo?
Randall: Yeah. Beautiful tree that was. Og designed it. 600 feet high, bright red, and smelled terrible.

Posts: 71 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It was hailing about an hour ago...now the sun is out [Confused] .
We just had the opposite happen. It was sunny for about 30 minutes, then we just had a nice little hail storm.

One of my co-workers had a tree take out his deck last night, and then a while after that, another tree dropped a branch through a skylight and onto his pool table. Nobody was hurt, thank goodness, but he brought in pictures and it was a huge mess, poor guy.

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My house in Bellingham is some what protected from the wind from the South. I have a good weather station at home here. The max wind gust was at 9:05 PM with a speed of 46 mph. For a few hours off and on thru the night the avarge 10 min windspeed was a little over 20 mph. The wind storm last month did more damage with wind gust of 70 mph, but it was from the Southeast and a much better direction for wind at my house. When the wind is from the South like last night most of the wind is above my house by 30 to 40 feet. So I only lost on tall tree, a 150 plus tall Douglas fir. About 10 of the smaller ceder trees that were already half way over from the Nov storm are now a lot closer to the ground as some are on it now. I'm on a 5 acre lot and there are no trees that are close enough to hit it. I also did not have any power outages and only .92 inches of rain for the day.

Now my parents 110 miles South in SeaTac recieved 1.55 inch of rain, 47 mph sutatained wind speed with a max gust of 60 mph. There were still with out power when I taked to them a 6 PM and most people South of Seattle are still with out power.

Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kmcm
We Three Blings

Icon 219 posted      Profile for kmcm   Author's Homepage   E-mail kmcm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just got my power back on about an hour ago (8:30am Sat) I lost it thursday night.

Everything outside right now is frozen, and they are talking about potential snow today. le sigh. Winter in Washington is so entertaining.

I haven't seen much damage out there, but i know my town was out of power for about as long as i was. (not that any of you missed me [Big Grin] )

It was really nice hearing the heater kick on this morning.

~kmcm

--------------------
Of course this land is dangerous! All of the animals are capably murderous. Especially the penguins.

i'm a figment of my own imagination, sometimes i don't exist

Posts: 1099 | From: Kitsap County, WA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, it is shaping up the be a interesting winter this year in Western Washington.

In November I have seen 11 inches of rain a 2 strong wind storms. Then there was the foot of show Thanksgiving weekend. Now its the middle of December and we are just starting to dry out and get thawed out. Now some god with a sense of humer is trying to tell us something with this last storm. Now I hear on the radio that there is a good chance of snow to night.

Just got off the phone with my mother. She and lots of others in the South Seattle area was still without power.

Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wicked Tinkerbell

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wicked Tinkerbell   E-mail Wicked Tinkerbell   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Singing in the Drizzle:
Yes, it is shaping up the be a interesting winter this year in Western Washington.

Same here.

I live about 1000ft above the floor of the Willamette Valley. I hit ice twice on the way home last night. There is talk of snow here this weekend.

I have had snow days & flooding. I already have had the problems that I expect in January.

--------------------

Wicked Tinkerbell

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wicked Tinkerbell   E-mail Wicked Tinkerbell   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my sisters was stuck in the elevator for an hour on Thursday night. In the dark. They had to call the fire department to get her out.

They had to take her out through the roof of the elevator. (And she was wearing a short skirt.)

She said that the firemen were cute, though. [lol]

--------------------

YeeMum

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YeeMum   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago, G.R.I.T.S.:
Tootsie, thanks for starting this thread. I came in here earlier to start one but got side-tracked. Glad to hear from you and to know that Seaboe is in touch and others are okay, too.

Has anyone heard from YeeMum?
daisyslegs, if you hear from her, please let her know we're thinking about her. Thanks.

Love and good wishes to all of those coping with this storm.

Wind here was not really much more than we get anyway..It rained like a bugger and then the fog socked in about dusk.
Thanks for your concern Signora
Daisyslegs missing you--when storms attack you just have to hang on to dear Mr. Legs, he won't let any weather mess with ya!

--------------------
Contact me for discounts
Charter member WNDMDC
"I am putting you on hold now.Listen to the elevator music and LIKE it."~My 'J'

Posts: 1816 | From: NE, Oregon | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Penny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I still don't have power at home. It's pretty cold and dark there so I came in to work - it's warm, it's bright, and it has The Internet! Heavenly!

--------------------
"Do not dance on the sand"

Posts: 340 | From: Redmond, WA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FuzzDuckie
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuzzDuckie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The couple who run the Invasion/CWoT sites are in the Kitsap Penisula area- she said that the power has been intermittent for the last 3 days or so. Oddly his workplace was fine but at home it was a gamble. I was able to talk to her for a bit last night. They just got done having snow and inches thick ice. I don't know if the wind storms and all the power outages will continue through to tomorrow-- we're supposed to have Round 9 tomorrow afternoon...its in the air now. I care more about their saftey though...

Meanwhile here in Georgia the weather has gotten warmer again-- back into the 70's during the day!

--------------------
Clever Waste of Time Invasion IV
An unique Riddle adventure.
PM me for more info. I'm on Brain Candy.
Purple Hell- Riddle Tools

Posts: 1551 | From: Georgia | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kmcm
We Three Blings

Icon 500 posted      Profile for kmcm   Author's Homepage   E-mail kmcm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FuzzDuckie:
The couple who run the Invasion/CWoT sites are in the Kitsap Penisula area- she said that the power has been intermittent for the last 3 days or so. Oddly his workplace was fine but at home it was a gamble. I was able to talk to her for a bit last night. They just got done having snow and inches thick ice. I don't know if the wind storms and all the power outages will continue through to tomorrow-- we're supposed to have Round 9 tomorrow afternoon...its in the air now. I care more about their saftey though...

Meanwhile here in Georgia the weather has gotten warmer again-- back into the 70's during the day!

We had snow two weeks ago, then ice, then it warmed up. Then stupid wind storms, then it's freezing up out there again. Stupid washington winters.

--------------------
Of course this land is dangerous! All of the animals are capably murderous. Especially the penguins.

i'm a figment of my own imagination, sometimes i don't exist

Posts: 1099 | From: Kitsap County, WA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Katness
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Katness   Author's Homepage   E-mail Katness   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm about 35 miles south of Seattle. The interesting stuff around here started before the wind even really began to pick up.

Around 5:30 Thursday night, a fir tree fell through our neighbor's house and landed in their 7 year old's bedroom. Everybody's fine, but it was a little exciting watching a crane lift a tree out of the house!

Then around 10 pm the winds really picked up, and we lost power at midnight. No power all day yesterday, we stayed relatively warm with a gas fireplace, and our stove is gas as well so we could cook. My boyfriend even had the foresight to get our camping coffeepot out of storage, so we had coffee! [Big Grin] (although it wasn't that good, it was better than none.. and yes, I'm a coffee snob so that was hard for me.. heheh)

I've had a horrible headcold all week, and wouldn't ya know that yesterday was my worst day with it. I couldn't sleep at all for 3 days, but finally got some decongestant and conked out late last night. Woke up this morning, and the power had come back on about half an hour before. Boyfriend was up already, putting stuff away and he'd even made REAL COFFEE for me!

31 hours with no power, 2 extremely bored kids, headcold from hell, and 28 degrees outside. Yup.. glad it's over. [Smile]

--------------------
Eschew Obfuscation.

Posts: 72 | From: Puyallup, WA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

I woke up today to hear that there are still 500,000 homes with out power in Washington. I hope I miss heard that since it was before my first cup of coffee.
Aimee Evilpixie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aimee Evilpixie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Aimee Evilpixie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My dad drove down to Portland on Friday to get a generator, since he and Mom had heard that they might have to wait 4 to 5 days for the power to come back. (They live near Centralia.) They have the generator keeping the lights, the fridges and the TV on, so they have food and light and football. They still have wood stove in the living room, so they've been using that for heat.

Craziness all around.

--------------------
Ugg want you find JESUS!

My website!

Posts: 1853 | From: Washington (The State) | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Worst storm in more than 10 years; 1.5 million (yes, MILLION) people were without power at the peak.

I wasn't one of them. My power never did more than flicker.

My commute home on Thursday (which took place *before* the worst of the storm hit) took 2:40. I live 19 miles from where I work.

I slept Thursday night in my living room because they were saying that if you have large trees (I have a pine, a sequoia and a doug fir) and a south facing bedroom, don't sleep there. It was very hard to sleep due to the noise.

I did not work on Friday; my facility was one of three Boeing facilities that suspended operations (they kind of had to--there was no power). This is very rare for Boeing. The last time Boeing suspended operations in the Puget Sound area was after the earthquake in 2001.

Four people were killed Thursday night due to falling trees (two in apartments, two in vehicles). Another four have died since, at least two of those due to carbon monoxide poisoning. If you want to see some impressive pictures, go to the Seattle Times' website and take a look at their electronic editions from Friday and Saturday. Speaking of the Times, they were unable to print the paper for the first time in 53 years.

For me, the worst part was that we were supposed to be having our holiday luncheon on Friday. And I was in charge of the planning. The facility sits on top of a hill (the Golf Club at Newcastle). Needless to say, they had no power. I got up early, slogged over to work to find out the facility had no power (no power = no access, as all the doors use card readers to open the doors) so I couldn't get at the party information on my desk. My boss's boss had to call and have a message sent from Chicago back to here cancelling the party. All in all, it was quite an adventure. I'd prefer not to repeat it again soon. ;-)

BTW, did you hear they referred to the football game as the "Fish Bowl" because there was so much water in the stadium?

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is your office up and running today? And have you heard if anyone went to the party venue to find it closed?

--------------------
--Tootsie

Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, we're up and running. It appears the message about the cancellation did get out via e-mail from Chicago (I saw the e-mail myself this morning).

I don't yet know if anyone actually tried the venue--they had no electricity at least through Friday. I just hung up from talking with a coworker who told me how funny it was. People showed up to her site (which was also without electricity but didn't suspend operations until later in the morning) all dressed up for the party to then sit in the dimness playing cards.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was with our mutual photographer friend at a small gathering on Saturday. A group of people from his office had planned to go to a theatrical performance at a local community college later that evening. He wasn't involved in the planning of the event, but he'd included his cell phone number in his email replies. So he got at least three calls during the party, asking if he knew if the performance was still on. Finally, he looked up the phone number for the community college and called, but of course no one was there, it being Saturday.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Seaboe Muffinchucker

I just found out our venue is still without power!

Man, I'm glad I live in the City proper.

Tootsie, when did you get power back, do you know?

Seaboe

--------------------

Tootsie Plunkette

Yes, it was almost exactly 3:15 Friday afternoon. I was at home when it came on.

My sister-in-law up in the Totem Lake area didn't have power as of last night, and I suspect still doesn't. She at least has a fireplace for some heat. She went to a sewing circle at a friend's house yesterday, and took a towel and some shampoo so she could take a hot shower (at the invitation of the hostess)! We've offered her shelter but she thinks she'll be OK.

--------------------
--Tootsie

daisyslegs

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisyslegs     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
well, it looks like we lost a dear friend in the storm. [Frown] Cleo was a female fawn found abandoned last spring. Our friend's dog found her and led them to her (Great dog, btw).

Cleo became a major part of their family and an endlessly facinating critter. Bottle fed since being found, she was very tame. I'll need to post some pics.

Something happened during the wind storm and something either fell on her head or she ran into something. [Frown] She managed to make it home, but was pretty badly messed up, seizuring and getting worse. The vet gave meds and said she was not going to recover. [Frown]

Mr. Legs was asked to put her down yesterday. I still don't know why they didn't have the vet do it. He is still upset about it and he is a hunter.

RIP Cleo, you were very loved and brought so much joy...

--------------------
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar.
daisys does Myspace

Posts: 3206 | From: Molalla, OR | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
daisyslegs

Sorry to drag this back up, but I said I'd post pics

-
 -

And I was told the reason the vet did not want to Euthanize (sp?) her was because of the poisions getting into and harming the other wild life. If they, you know, scavenged her. [Frown]

--------------------
daisys does Myspace

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages