snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Calling all accounting snopesters! Help!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Calling all accounting snopesters! Help!
CSGirl
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CSGirl   E-mail CSGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, for one of my business classes, we have to write a sample business plan as our end of the semester project. So, our group split up the responsibilities- and today we're compiling everything (it's due tonight). The person preparing the financial plan, didn't finish their part! There are blanks and wrong numbers all over the place, and it's basically up to me to fix it at this point (everyone else has exams this afternoon). Since I haven't taken accounting.... help! I'm figuring most of it out, but I have questions. Here are a few to start, more to follow I'm sure!

*How do we calculate the accounts payable (for the year)? What is it based on?

*On the Profit and Loss sheet- the interest expense and taxes incurred- I think some of them are there, but what are all the parts they should be coming from? Loans? What else?

*Balance sheet: current borrowing is what we pay back for the whole year, right? And long term liability would include the total amount of the loan after the amount we paid for the year?

Thanks so much in advance!

--------------------
My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.
Dr. Wilson: Beauty often seduces us on the road to truth.
Dr. Gregory House: And triteness kicks us in the nads.
-House MD

Posts: 114 | From: Glastonbury, CT / Houghton, NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Quick answer on Account Payable. That's the total money you owe to your vendors at the end of year.

Are you projecting Accounts Payable as part of the business plan?

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CSGirl
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CSGirl   E-mail CSGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes- our business is a healthy fast food restaurant. So, amount we own vendors would just be how much is costs us to buy our inventory?

--------------------
My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.
Dr. Wilson: Beauty often seduces us on the road to truth.
Dr. Gregory House: And triteness kicks us in the nads.
-House MD

Posts: 114 | From: Glastonbury, CT / Houghton, NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ILS
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ILS   E-mail ILS   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
vendors would normally include more then just your inventory providers. Any services contracted for example, such as cleaning, gardening, accounting :-), payroll, uniforms to name a few I've dealt with when in the restaurant industry. Don't know if your example is this complicated, but just wanted to say vendor != inventory.
Posts: 287 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jocko's Jolly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jocko's Jolly   E-mail Jocko's Jolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Accounts Payable is ANY money you pay out, includes what ILS mentioned, as well as advertising, utilities, rent, etc. -- unless they are listed as separate line items. Accounts Receivable is any money you get in through billing, so there shouldn't be any of that for your type of business, it should be all cash.

If you're a franchise, don't forget about franchise fees as well!

I think interest expense is just through any loans (mortgage, equipment). Taxes you should be able to project, since most businesses of your type pay estimated taxes on a quarterly basis and it's calculated/projected based on your previous year's return.

And don't forget ALL the taxes -- on the business profits as well as property (if you're not renting but purchasing the building), withholding, etc. for your employees, as well as any sales tax you have to charge.

Does one of your textbooks have sample forms for you to use? If so, you should be able to get definitions off of that, too. You can also check various small business sites -- they often have the appropriate forms/publications that explain and detail all the information for you.

--------------------
Like every good third-in-a-series it contains a whole load of ewoks, ‘Clubber’ Lang, whey-faced Sophia Coppola, Sean Connery as the Pirate Captain’s estranged dad, a crappy CGI alien, and Richard Pryor on a donkey. -- Gideon Defoe

Posts: 2211 | From: Harford County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
HollowMan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HollowMan     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Interest expense comes from the loans or notes that you owe to other parties.

Taxes incurred are the taxes you owe to the government.

Current borrowing is any loan(s) that you have taken out that are due within one year. Long term is anything due in longer than one year.

--------------------
Heisenberg may have slept here.

I got an idea... an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about.

Posts: 291 | From: Greenville, SC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
HollowMan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HollowMan     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jocko's Jolly:
Accounts Payable is ANY money you pay out, includes what ILS mentioned, as well as advertising, utilities, rent, etc. -- unless they are listed as separate line items.

Slight nitpick. AP is not necessarily any money you pay out. It is an expense you will pay for in the future. Think of any kind of bill you get at home. You owe it, but you don't pay it right away.

--------------------
Heisenberg may have slept here.

I got an idea... an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about.

Posts: 291 | From: Greenville, SC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages