snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » I got an e-mail from someone surfing snopes (I think) (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: I got an e-mail from someone surfing snopes (I think)
tagurit
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 401 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got a couple of emails from non-members and couldn't figure out for the life of me what was going on, until Spam solved the mystery, thankfully. Since my email was changed to hide it from public view, I haven't received any more mystery emails.

It's a bit disconcerting to have some stranger email you out of the blue regarding something you posted on snopes. As RangerDog mentioned, a snopester would normally send a PM.

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I, too, have gotten unsolicited emails from non-snopesters about topics posted on snopes. It made me a little uneasy.

And then I stopped making my email available and it stopped.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is another day I've learned something new. I had no idea you could find a snopester's e-address by using Google. Thanks for the info, folks.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 218 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RangerDog:

All I had to do what put "RangerDog" and "snopes" into Google, and your email was the first address to pop up...

I tried this with my own screen name, just because I was curious. All but one of the links referenced either the board or Dark Dan's Wiki site. The one exception, though, was a post on another message board of which I'm not a member. It was dated 2003 and referenced a post I'd made on this board about the 'Hurricane Isabel' picture when it showed up here. As it turns out from the snopes article, my guess about the origins of the picture was wrong (surprise, surprise)... I was just shocked to see a post I'd made here show up somewhere else.

Now if everyone will excuse me, I'm going to go hide under a rock...

~Psihala
(*Gonna have to start putting accuracy disclamers in my sig line from now on, methinks...)

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DarkDan
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkDan   Author's Homepage   E-mail DarkDan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wah, no one emails me... But a year or two ago, I got an email from a former troll saying "I see you run that wiki... Can you answer a few questions for my investigation? 1) snopes is run by the government. Which party are they? 2) snopes has been giving out false information and the FBI has been investigating them..." Questions three to whatever were basically the same tin-foil hat crap. It was pretty strange.

--------------------
Missing snopesters | snopesters Facebook group | SLC Birthdays | What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?
"Gonna free fall out into nothing, gonna leave this world for a while" --Tom Petty

Posts: 3698 | From: Philadelphia, PA or >Tinton Falls, NJ< | Registered: Oct 1492  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps I'm mis-remembering, but didn't you gain some noteriety in a news article or something about calling 867-5309 in every state, Dan?

~Psihala
(*Unsolicited board-related Emails since 2001: 5 (all from members), Unsolicited PM's received since 2001: 0... 'tis better to give than receive... [Smile] )

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A long time ago, I posted in a Disney World thread that I owned a particular stuffed animal from a ride that is now shut down. Someone sent me an email (quite rudely) asking how much I would take for it. They didn't even bother to include a name, Snopes-handle or otherwise. Very tacky.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DAnnino
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DAnnino     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
RangerDog, I think you were hit by the militant wing of the Salvation Army. It's teh first stage of Dr. Evil's cyberattack! [Big Grin]

Oh, all right... [fish]

And I'm going to check my profile settings right now.

--------------------
NO BETTER FRIEND, NO WORSE ENEMY
--
"I grok when apes learn to laugh, they'll be people."

Posts: 727 | From: Southeastern Arizona | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Awesome! I intended for this thread to be lighthearted and to sort of see if anyone else had the same experience and BAM here it comes!

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's pretty cowardly not to identify yourself in an email, even if to say "I was lurking on this message board and wanted to comment on what you wrote..."

It's like the people on MySpace who want to friend me but don't identify themselves or give me a reason why I should be their "friend". [Razz]

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I finally Googled my username and came up with a space to email me, my recent posts and a link on somebody's Yahoo page that takes people to a page for quilts made by Pam, but a different one from me. Interesting - I think about selling stuff online from time to time, but haven't yet. Maybe I shouldn't bother then.

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just got an email from a completely random person! YAY!

Of course, it was just so I could say I got an email from a completely random person, but, still! That counts for something, right?

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr:
I, too, have gotten unsolicited emails from non-snopesters about topics posted on snopes. It made me a little uneasy...

Whe do some people seem to get squicked out by receiving unsolicited email from "outside the group"? I've gotten a few such emails over the years that related to various postings I've made (primarily on usenet) but I've always enjoyed getting them.

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Theodorakis:
Whe do some people seem to get squicked out by receiving unsolicited email from "outside the group"? I've gotten a few such emails over the years that related to various postings I've made (primarily on usenet) but I've always enjoyed getting them.

In my case, the person did not identify themselves or the ULMB post they were writing in reference to. Usually I disregard unsolicited emails, but this person offered to buy something I'd mentioned owning - but had not placed for sale anywhere. Eventually I figured out the person was referencing something from snopes. I thought it was rude and a little creepy to neither identify himself nor how he got my information - and quite rude to offer to buy something from me that I'd mentioned on the ULMB but had not advertised for sale.

Plus, having thought my email was set to "hidden/members only", I was also concerned someone might have hacked into my account.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
callee

Icon 1 posted      Profile for callee         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseGirl:
Huh, when I google myself all I get is callee's sig line....

you sound so disappointed!

--------------------
a moment for old friends now estranged, victims of the flux of alliances and changing perceptions. There was something there once, and that something is worth honoring as well. - John Carroll

Posts: 3375 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
HollowMan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HollowMan     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I notice that callee's signature line now has no mention of TGirl.

--------------------
Heisenberg may have slept here.

I got an idea... an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about.

Posts: 291 | From: Greenville, SC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bonnie
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 401 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Yeah, I see it as you do, but then you and I (and a few of our peers) post using our real names, which I think means we don't mind being "out there" as much our comrades who choose to post using aliases apparently do.

Bonnie "Miss Nomer" Taylor

--------------------
Se non č vero, č ben trovato.

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ParaDiddle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ParaDiddle   E-mail ParaDiddle       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a previous episode of outsiders mining the snopes profiles for e-mail addresses. It was even discussed at length in several threads. I described two instances that happened to me. In one, a poster who told me he had forgotten his password asked me to post his inflammatory diatribe to a thread in which I had participated. I later learned that the individual was well known around here and had been banned for previous bad behavior.

In another, someone began sending me spam using my snopes name in the salutation. I thought I had started a thread about this one, but my searches for it have produced nothing.

What I do know is that these and several other incidents prompted snopes to change how profiles are viewed.

- P

Posts: 1856 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ryda, did you reply to your anonymous e-mailer? Oh, wait. You said "completely random person." Same thing, I guess.

Nick and Bonnie, I've only registered on a few sites, but on the first one I put my complete real name in my profile. I had a problem with a real pain-in-the-neck member on a board I moderate, and he posted my complete name, along with threatening messages, on two of his sites. A person registered on "my" site for the sole purpose of PMing me with that information. The messages were posted to "My Real Name" aka "My Usual Screen Name." She had Googled my usual screen name and found me. If not for her concern, I would never have known it because I had stopped visiting the pain's site after I heard from quite a few people that he was dangerous and had actually gone to Vegas to stalk one woman. I complained to Tripod, the messages were removed, and he was banned (not by Tripod, by me), but still. . . It was rather unnerving. The only way he could have found out my name was to Google the screen name I usually use. I did that at the time and up popped the profile page with my name. That site is now defunct, and the page no longer appears, unless it is archived on archive.org. Anyway, that could explain why some of us might be a little skittish about using our full name. There are too many weirdos out there in cyberland, and some of them can find you.

I was still surprised to learn how easy it is for a non-snopester to locate snopesters' e-addresses, though. The above took place so long ago that I had forgotten about it.

ETA: [/hijack]tagurit, look what I found!~~~~~  - [/hijack]

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 108 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Can you answer a few questions for my investigation? 1) snopes is run by the government. Which party are they?
I'm pretty sure the government is Republican. At least until January.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bonnie:
quote:

Yeah, I see it as you do, but then you and I (and a few of our peers) post using our real names, which I think means we don't mind being "out there" as much our comrades who choose to post using aliases apparently do.

Bonnie "Miss Nomer" Taylor

I wouldn't have had a problem with it had the email not been so abrupt and demanding. I post knowing the ULMB is an archived site and most of the information will show up on Google. My complaint has more to do with the particular message I received than the fact that the person was able to contact me.

I don't care whether you're a registered member or not, emailing a person with a slightly less eloquent version of "GIB TOY NOW!" without bothering to even attach any form of contact information is not going to impress me. Especially when the post the idiot apparently saw noted what a treasured souvinir that particular toy was to me. Jerk.

And if you're reading this, whoever you are, Skippy is MINE. Bug off and don't bother trying to put a price on my childhood memories.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ParaDiddle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ParaDiddle   E-mail ParaDiddle       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I couldn't edit my previous post to add this link, but that is the thread which exemplifies the first case I described. I just can't find the other one.

- P

Posts: 1856 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bonnie

Icon 104 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago, G.R.I.T.S.:

Anyway, that could explain why some of us might be a little skittish about using our full name.

I'm sorry that you had that experience. Examples such as yours get to why I allowed in my response to Nick that those of you who prefer to post under aliases probably generally do so in an attempt to preserve privacy. At the same time, for some individuals there are valid reasons for posting using one's real name.

In any event, like Nick, I've had some favorable feedback from "outsiders," including a reporter who contacted me recently about something I'd posted here a while ago.

Bonnie "cognomen is an island" Taylor

--------------------

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My e-mail is available to anyone, but I have a separate "snopes account" set up.

When I googled, I ddn't get my full name anywhere -- I'm not concerned about people's knowing my first name is Liz, there's a lot of us in the world. [Wink]

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hm, I googled my screen name and snopes, and all I got remotely pertaining to me is my "recent posts" pages. There are a lot of other people out there on various websites who use Zorro as a screen name, though.

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh, the penguin! Thank you so much, Signora. The problem is, there's no way for me to use it as my message icon, unless snopes has it included in the bundle of message icons. That's what I was missing. [Smile] But, he is a cutie, isn't he?

For me, being a member and posting on a forum means that I'm having a discussion with a huge, but known, even if somewhat vaguely, group of people that I'm fond of for the most part. I realize there are people outside the group that can read my, and everyone else's, posts, but I feel that for these non-members I am basically a read only file.

Yeah, maybe if I didn't live alone, or wasn't older and feeling more vulnerable, or publicly promoting myself, I wouldn't mind it if someone gets my email address that I think is not able to get my email address, and writes to me, maybe then, yeah, maybe it'd be ok. Maybe I'd welcome the email. After all, I'm only one of several thousand Bonnie Taylors on the planet. What are the chances they could actually find me, if they wanted to? Because, by the same token that these people are even reading snopes, is assurance to me they are good-natured and harmless people. I should just welcome them all into my inbox by including my name and email address in my sigline!

Ok, let's get real, shall we? I do live alone. I'm older and feeling more vulnerable than I did when I was younger. I AM unique. Just having my first name in an online public profile freaks me.

Those of you that have big ole huge security nets may wonder why those of us with smaller securenets get squicked out when we receive an anonymous email from a stranger out of the blue, but it's not really that hard to understand, is it?

My apologies to Bonnie for using your name as an example. It's a good common name (googling on it reaps 90,200 hits) and you're involved in this discussion. My purpose wasn't to point solely to you.

--------------------
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kch8021
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kch8021   E-mail kch8021   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Some people want to boycott Target because they do not allow bell ringers in the front of our store.

Others like me, love to go to Target, because there are no bell ringers, or canned music.

Posts: 87 | From: Burlington, Iowa | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Post in the wrong thread?

--------------------

Bonnie

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, just in case there's some confusion about it, I didn't advocate that everyone use his or her name real when posting. That practice works for some folks and it obviously doesn't work for others. It's nice, though, that we have choices about how we identify ourselves here.

(And I know you were simply illustrating a point, tagurit, so I don't mind being singled out as it were, but I'll also note that the other information I share about myself here keeps me a least a little distinctive from the other 90,199 Bonnie Taylors one runs into.)

Bonnie "me, I'm the only one who lies over the ocean" Taylor

--------------------

Signora Del Drago

Oh, I didn't think you meant everyone should post his/her full name, Bonnie. Sorry if my post caused any confusion about that.

You may not be the only one who lies over the ocean, but I bet you're the only one who has a negative post number on any message board. [lol]

Edited because I left out a word. And because there's no such word as "negavite."

--------------------

Bonnie

Icon 105 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
Post in the wrong thread?

I think our friend kch8021 was being scrupulously on-topic, in a sense, given that the OP mentions bell ringers and whatnot.

Bonnie "at least, his post rang a bell with me" Taylor

--------------------

tagurit

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's the other side of the story, also. The last time many of us made any changes to our profiles dealing with our email addresses, we had set it so our email addresses were not publicly seen. Receiving anonymous emails from non-members is like locking your door at night and having some stranger open it and come on in.

--------------------
---
AAMAH

tagurit

Icon 506 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago, G.R.I.T.S.:
Oh, I didn't think you meant everyone should post his/her full name, Bonnie. Sorry if my post caused any confusion about that.

Signora, I respectfully submit that your post did not cause me any confusion, ok?

--------------------
---
AAMAH

Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread makes me a bit nervous. Since, snopes policy says that I have to put my first name and initital, and correct location in my profile, it's very easy to find me using my profile. I'm going to change my location to be a little more ambigious, if that's ok with the mods.

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Jay, that's why I've always listed just my state in my profile. If I listed my town, it would be far too easy to find me.

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages