snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Grammatical question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Grammatical question
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 500 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Results in less emissions

or

Results in fewer emissions

?

because emissions are measured, but does measured=counted?

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would say "fewer emissions" but that doesn't really sound right either. Would "a lower level of emissions" fit?

(edit) Or "a lower level of emission"...?

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Results in reduced emissions?

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ghijkmnop
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ghijkmnop   Author's Homepage   E-mail ghijkmnop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would go with "lower."

--------------------
http://www.smokedsalmonband.com/forum

Posts: 41 | From: Augusta, Maine | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
surfcitydogdad
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surfcitydogdad     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Fewer" is correct, but "lower" or "reduced" are good, too, if they fit.

--------------------
Only when we remake ourselves can we remake the world.
- Outer Limits (2001)

Posts: 559 | From: Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Reduced" is, IMO, the best fit for this particular usage.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Jay Tea's is best... I should have thought of that. Bah. This sort of thing is meant to be my job.
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Reduced won't really work in this context, because it's in comparison to other systems. Basically 'ours results in fewer/less emissions than others'. Lower would work, though.

--------------------

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ours result in fewer emissions.

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's not the actual sentence, just the gist of the article. But 'lower' does the job.

--------------------

Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In that context, I agree that "lower" is better than "fewer." "Fewer" emissions, to me, would seem to refer to types or sources of emissions, while "lower" seems more appropriate to refer to the level of emissions.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Less emission. Fewer emissions.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Regarding the "Lower"...

It should (in my twisted mind), "Resulting in lower emissions," or "Results in lowered emissions."

If there are less at the end, they have been lowered rather than lower... and if they are still in the process of falling, they are lower.

Clear as mud?

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A lot depends on whether you take "emissions" as discrete or continuous.

A quart jar holds fewer waters than a gallon jug...

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Produced fewer emissions" means that the plant produced one of the following:

1) A reduction in total emissions
2) The regular amount of any one kind of emission, but less different kinds.

"Produced less emissions" means only one thing:

1) That emissions are continuous (like water, so you can't only have one emission), and that the plant produced less of it.

However I don't really know the answer to Silas's question. Can you have 1 emission? If so, then "fewer" works, but people could be confused. And "less" is misleading.

If you cannot have 1 emission, use "less".

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeaflessMapleTree:
Can you have 1 emission?

Yes, but not every night.

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Damnit, Silas! I wrote and rewrote my version of that riposte, and still couldn't get it to work. *grumble*

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Paulie Jay
O Little Down-Payment of Bethlehem

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paulie Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Fewer / Less

We use "fewer" when speking of specific things i.e. "fewer oranges", but not "fewer fruit"

We use "less" when speaking collectively i.e. "less fruit", but not "less oranges".

--------------------
All the way with Paulie Jay

Posts: 476 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Silas Sparkhammer:
quote:
Originally posted by LeaflessMapleTree:
Can you have 1 emission?

Yes, but not every night.

Silas

Gaaaaaah! Ya got me. [Wink]

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Steve
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Either 'less' or 'fewer' works. The myth that only 'fewer' can be used with a count noun is really the sort of thing we should discourage on this board.
Posts: 1699 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve:
Either 'less' or 'fewer' works. The myth that only 'fewer' can be used with a count noun is really the sort of thing we should discourage on this board.

I drank fewer milk than Johnny drank.
He has less quarters than I have.

Those sentences don't sound correct to me. What am I missing? Thanks.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Steve
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago, G.R.I.T.S.:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve:

I drank fewer milk than Johnny drank.
He has less quarters than I have.

Those sentences don't sound correct to me. What am I missing? Thanks.

As far as your first sentence goes, you're missing nothing. To the best of my knowledge, no native speaker of English would ever use it. With a noncount noun, I think I'm correct in saying that only 'less' works. No one disputes that.

But does 'less quarters' sound wrong to you? It doesn't sound wrong to me. And to judge from the amount of times I hear 'less' used before a noncount noun, I'd assume it doesn't sound wrong to many native speakers. If a rule against using 'less' with a noncount noun exists, I have to wonder where such a rule came from. Oh, and I have to wonder if anyone's ever had a post using the word 'noncount' so many times before. [Wink]

Posts: 1699 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Steve, I misread your post. Sorry. Of course the first sentence is incorrect!

Yes, "less quarters" sounds wrong to me. "Fewer quarters" sounds correct. I suppose it depends on what one is accustomed to saying.

You may find the following interesting. Or not. I'm sure there are examples to the contrary to be found somewhere.
http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/amount.html

These references only say the use of "fewer" for items that can be counted is "traditional," which doesn't necessarily mean "wrong."
few
less
It still sounds wrong, to me, though. [lol]

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages