snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Words that need to make a comeback (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Words that need to make a comeback
glisp42
I'm Dreaming Of A White iPod

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glisp42   Author's Homepage   E-mail glisp42   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Antidisestablishmentarianism

--------------------
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK" and other lingo mean?

And we'll collect the moments one by one I guess that's how the future's done. -Feist

Posts: 1641 | From: Kansas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zekaille
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zekaille     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
All those words are so lovely!

How about:

elocution (I'd just like to hear BETTER elocution)
ramshackle
flabbergasted (a friend told me a story of using this word and having his boss write him up for profanity!)
infanta (okay, I just like to say that one)
pulchritude (ditto)

and I second a comeback of "please" and "thank you"

Indeed, with all the commotion about whether or not store employees wish me a Happy Holiday or a Merry Christmas, I would like to say I really don't care what holiday I am wished. I would just like to hear an enthusiastic "Hello, Ma'am! How are you this evening? Did you find everything you were looking for?" followed by an equally enthusiastic "Thank you for shopping at Big Impersonal Store! Hope you come back soon."

Ze "Kerfuffled and Discombobulated" Kaille

--------------------
"Oh, you're nothing but two ears and a hat!"--my (then) 4 year old niece, following an argument with her uncle

Posts: 100 | From: Bridgeport, CT | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Towknie
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Towknie   E-mail Towknie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
balderdash, harumph, groovy, and neato

--------------------
Towknie: Ryda-certified as wonderful, enlighted, and rational.

Posts: 1011 | From: Frisco, TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pshaw

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sparklygirl
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparklygirl   E-mail sparklygirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Contrary
directly
yonder
lollygag

Sparklygirl

--------------------
Few things are harder to put up with than a good example. -- Mark Twain
_ _______________________________ _

For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Posts: 34 | From: SW Missouri | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TallGeekyGirl
O Read, O Read, The Manual

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TallGeekyGirl   Author's Homepage   E-mail TallGeekyGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
More in the spirit of the tread...

Dastardly
Tarnation (as in "What in tarnation?!")

and "niggardly," without it being mistaken as a racist epithet.

--------------------
See, if I tell you about it, it won't be a mystery. It'll just be a fact, an ugly, moist fact, squatting on your brain like an octopus. And you don't want an octopus squatting on your brain, do you, son? -- Stan Smith, American Dad

Posts: 980 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had never heard the word snollygoster before. What a great word! I can hardly wait to work it into a conversation. It shouldn't take long.

Among the words listed here that I still use are copacetic, discombobulated, dilapidated, indubitably, persnickety, tarnation, lollygag and balderdash. I'm sure there are more, but I'm too indolent to go back through the thread to find them.

Someone mentioned snickerdoodle. Is there another use for that word besides the cookie? I love the way it sounds.

My contribution to the list:
jocularity
serendipitous
fantabulous

24/7
can disappear, along with utilize.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TwoGuyswithaHat
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwoGuyswithaHat   E-mail TwoGuyswithaHat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by glisp42:
Antidisestablishmentarianism

I chosen an essay topic last year specifically to use the word antidisestablishmentarianism somewhere in the essay, and then I forgot to include it.

But I can now tell you all about the Anabaptist movment

--------------------
In politics, absurdity is not a handicap - Napoleon Bonaparte

Posts: 1801 | From: The Forest City, Ontario | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
crotchety
curmudgeon
plebian
despondent
despicable
dastardly
fulminate

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
HenryChicane
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HenryChicane   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To add to my last post, I was once grounded in my pre-teens for calling my brother a malodorous codpiece. Both of those words could be used more often.

I am even more proud of it now that I just googled the phrase, "malodorous codpiece," and it returned no hits.
[Razz]

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/ironhillpark

Posts: 75 | From: NewCastle, Delaware | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
evilrabbit
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilrabbit   E-mail evilrabbit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this may be my favorite thread ever.
"Reverberate" is fun to say, I also accept the noun version, "reverberation".

--------------------
"My sandwich choice is uncertain, until I actually order. It's like Schrodinger's Sandwich."
"Is plutonium involved in this sandwich in any way?"
"Maybe."

Posts: 496 | From: Whitby, ON, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Birgie

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Birgie   E-mail Birgie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HenryChicane:

Crepuscular could stand more use as well.

That is a great word. I actually started calling my cat "Crepusky" or "Creepy Crepusculate". He has a lot of nicknames.

I also put my vote in for:

Bees knees
Fisticuffs
Please &
Thank you

--------------------
"of all tyrannies, the tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Posts: 49 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lunasa
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lunasa   E-mail Lunasa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
kerfuffle

--------------------
"England and America are two countries divided by a common language." - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 555 | From: Ireland | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sou'wester
Right-oh
Perchance

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jessboo:
Sou'wester
Right-oh
Perchance

I used two of those this morning. And is that rain I see outside? [Wink]

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TallGeekyGirl
O Read, O Read, The Manual

Icon 506 posted      Profile for TallGeekyGirl   Author's Homepage   E-mail TallGeekyGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cromulent!

Embiggen!

Never mind... I'll do it myself... [fish]

--------------------
See, if I tell you about it, it won't be a mystery. It'll just be a fact, an ugly, moist fact, squatting on your brain like an octopus. And you don't want an octopus squatting on your brain, do you, son? -- Stan Smith, American Dad

Posts: 980 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by evilrabbit:
I think this may be my favorite thread ever.
"Reverberate" is fun to say.

I use that word rather a lot. Maybe it's a musical thing.

I offer up "scurrilous".

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TwoGuyswithaHat:
The non-ironic use of nifty is sorely lacking in today's age.

I very frequently use nifty in a non-ironic sense.

I'd like to see more use of the word capital in the superlative sense.

"This thread is simply capital!"
"How are you today?" "Why, I'm capital!"

There are many that have been posted in this thread, though, that I honestly do see and hear on a regular basis - impeccable, opaque, flummox, dilapidated, elocution, ramshackle, flabbergasted, contrary, directly (seriously?), despondent, despicable, reverberate ... and I don't just mean in my weird circle of friends either. At work, friends, family, out and about, on television - I hear these words frequently.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Monza305
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monza305   E-mail Monza305   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Once my wife told me that she saw a zeppelin in the sky.

This topic made me think of that, 'cause I teased her for months for using such an old fashioned word.

--------------------
I've got a pen in my pocket does that make me a writer?
Standing on the mountain doesn't make me no higher.
Putting on gloves don't make you a fighter.
And all the study in the world doesn't make it science. -Paul Weller

Posts: 199 | From: Kalamazoo, MI | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Monza305:

[nitpick]I bet she didn't. [Wink] A zeppelin is a dirigible. She almost certainly saw a blimp.[/nitpick]

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Sultana of Beetroot

Icon 106 posted      Profile for The Sultana of Beetroot   E-mail The Sultana of Beetroot   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Discombobulate, my favourite word, has already been said so I give you:

• Spavined
  • Spiflicate

Also we should use the phrase 'cock a snook' more frequently!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Be Somebody or Be Sombody's Fool

Posts: 41 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

This topic made me think of that, 'cause I teased her for months for using such an old fashioned word.

I think the good people at Zeppelin might take umbrage at your use of the term 'old-fashioned' - is it not entirely possible that not only is your wife aware that Zeppelin still make airships, but that she was also more than capable of identifying them in the air? [Wink]

http://www.zeppelin-nt.com/

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Besmirch
Friable

I just used "besmirch" in an IM conversation and it was declared word of the day.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I used the word "wristwatch" this summer and one of my coworkers is still teasing me about it.

--------------------
"You better respect the Rap or the Rap won't respect you." Ledatru

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Virulaceous
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Virulaceous   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
lollygagging
buffoon
folderol
twitterpated

--------------------
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

Posts: 86 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
truthScope

Icon 1 posted      Profile for truthScope   E-mail truthScope   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Defenestration.

And not just the word, the act. [Smile]

--------------------
...the only thing original is the way we destroy things...

Posts: 2 | From: Minot, North Dakota | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How about the phrase "cock up your beaver" (the link is safe for work, believe it or not).

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the
New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LyndaD
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyndaD   E-mail LyndaD   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A coworker of mine used canoodling at our staff Christmas party. He accused a fellow teacher and her husband of 'power canoodling' on the couch.

My words:

pickin' beggar
fewmets
barbarians
heathens
ill-mannered
courting (instead of hookin' up)
betrothed
conspicuous
niblish (I don't know that this is actually a word, but in my family it means 'the feeling of wanting to snack on small foods)

I'll think of more later.

--------------------
I'll drive it ugly. You can't see the paint job when you're behind the wheel, anyway.

Posts: 570 | From: Central Valley, California | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't know that some of these words had gone away. Especially "conspicuous," "heathen," and "ill-mannered."

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just heard a great one on TV last night:

folderol

ETA: I always heard that antidisestablishmentarianism was a made-up word (?). Also, I use "heathen" on a fairly regular basis... but only because it is fun to describe myself thusly.

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
I didn't know that some of these words had gone away. Especially "conspicuous," "heathen," and "ill-mannered."

There seem to be a lot words mentioned in this thread that either I have used or have heard others use in casual conversation without any indication that they were rare or obsolete.

Nick

ETA quote to clarify to whom I'm replying

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Faith
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faith     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hobbledehoy & Slobberchops.

--------------------
"You watched it. You can't UNWATCH it."

Posts: 1646 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AdmiralDinty

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AdmiralDinty   E-mail AdmiralDinty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Iguana:
Just heard a great one on TV last night:

folderol

As in "he's still lifting platinum folderol"? That's a line from the song "Guys and Dolls" of the musical with same name.

--------------------
"I wanna bite the hand that feeds me. I wanna bite that hand so badly. I wanna make them wish they'd never seen me." - Elvis Costello

Posts: 2291 | From: The Banks of the Merrimack, MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Monza305
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monza305   E-mail Monza305   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
[nitpick]I bet she didn't. [Wink] A zeppelin is a dirigible. She almost certainly saw a blimp.[/nitpick]

Well, of course she did. I just thought it was funny for her to pull that word out of nowhere. For the next couple of weeks, I tried to come up with every old-fashioned, Mr. Burns type word I could come up with, when talking to her. Finally, when I told her I was taking her horseless carrage to the general store she'd had enough.

--------------------
I've got a pen in my pocket does that make me a writer?
Standing on the mountain doesn't make me no higher.
Putting on gloves don't make you a fighter.
And all the study in the world doesn't make it science. -Paul Weller

Posts: 199 | From: Kalamazoo, MI | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Soft Hyphen
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soft Hyphen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TallGeekyGirl:
How about "please" and "thank you"? [Smile]

Never heard of these before. Had to look them up. Can't see much use for them.

I'm partial to "acquiesce," "thrice," "quietus," and of course "pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis."

Posts: 78 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages