snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Second Puberty?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Second Puberty?
AdmiralDinty
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 210 posted      Profile for AdmiralDinty   E-mail AdmiralDinty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
TMI Warning for those who do not want to know about my hormones and body hair. TMI Warning for those who do not want to know about my hormones and body hair. TMI Warning for those who do not want to know about my hormones and body hair. TMI Warning for those who do not want to know about my hormones and body hair.

That should do it. I'll be turning 26 in about a month, and lately it seems like I've been experiencing a lot of the body changes I experienced when I was 14 or so. I'm growing hair in random places: the back of my hands, the fronts of my forearms, my ears, my nose, etc. By itself, this would make sense, since I am getting older.

However, I'm also getting pimples and bumps on my back and shoulders like I did when I was in high school.

My body shape has also changed drastically over the past few months: I've lost 30 lbs, that's two pants sizes, and my face has slimmed, but my shoulders have broadened tremendously, and I'm actually gaining muscle tone.

Finally, I'm getting odd little physical ailments: aching muscles, mild mood swings, and feeling like I'm burning up. These aren't severe enough for me to see a doctor, but I do notice them.

I've been going to the gym regularly since June, so my immediate guess would be that it's all somehow related to that. However, I didn't think that working out could boost testosterone and make a person more hirsute. Can it? I'm not on the "juice", so don't get any ideas. Am I 14 all over again?

Admiral "Just waiting for my voice to start cracking" Dinty

--------------------
"I wanna bite the hand that feeds me. I wanna bite that hand so badly. I wanna make them wish they'd never seen me." - Elvis Costello

Posts: 2291 | From: The Banks of the Merrimack, MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm...maybe thyroid problems? I don't know much about the thyroid, but that's the only thing that occurs to me.

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of mine had a similar experience around age 23. It was like he went through puberty in two stages. His body shape didn't really change that much, but his face became more adult and he got hairier. Before that he had like 7 chest hairs, now he is hairy like Robin Williams.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My brother was 18 when I got married and my husband was taller than him. When we saw him again at the age of 22, my brother was taller than my husband.

My husband was almost 21 when he joined the Army. When he got through boot camp- having lost weight at first, then put on muscle mass- his shoulders broadened and he got hairy-er in places like his hands/arms/chest.

As for thyroid- yes, it could be that too. I have hypothyroidism. I was diagnosed when I was 18 years old. I didn't get the hairy thing, but I get the mood swings, aching muscles, little warm flushes. (of course now, I'm going through menopause, so I've got all that in high gear).

If you're really concerned, see a doc and ask for a test. Its a simple blood test.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AdmiralDinty

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AdmiralDinty   E-mail AdmiralDinty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I had my thyroid hormones tested last spring as part of a routine blood test (along with cholesterol, CBC, etc.) Nothing abnormal popped up.

--------------------
"I wanna bite the hand that feeds me. I wanna bite that hand so badly. I wanna make them wish they'd never seen me." - Elvis Costello

Posts: 2291 | From: The Banks of the Merrimack, MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Let us know if your winkie gets bigger. [lol]

Sorry, nothing of import to add. I'd check the thyroid as well.

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AdmiralDinty

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AdmiralDinty   E-mail AdmiralDinty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malruhn:
Let us know if your winkie gets bigger. [lol]

Don't worry; you'll hear me shouting from the mountain tops.

--------------------

Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've read that body fat produces minute amounts of estergen. (I'm more familar with this in terms of women rather than men.) Perhaps the loss of weight gave your natural testosterone more of a chace to do it's thing.

My next thought was thyroid. It would be interesting to see if there had been a change since the spring.

If you give up medieval philosophy and take up truck driving or sport I'm going to cry!

Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
HenryChicane
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HenryChicane   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if puberty can go in stages. I had very little (almost no) hair on my chest until about two years ago, when I was 28. About then I suddenly grew a thick patch of dark hair on my chest, which I actually shaved a few times just because it was so strange to me. I noticed the hair on my face and legs got thicker and darker then too.

I am hoping it stops the way it is, my dad has the Robin Williams thing going on, chest and back. [Razz]

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/ironhillpark

Posts: 75 | From: NewCastle, Delaware | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
hoitoider
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hoitoider   E-mail hoitoider   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not really puberty, but getting wisdom teeth in when I was in college seemed strange. It's pretty weird being 20 or so & still growing adult teeth, but I understand it's pretty common. Luckily they came in fine & I haven't had any problems.

--------------------
No man has a right in America to treat any other man "tolerantly" for tolerance is the assumption of superiority. -Wendell L. Willkie

Posts: 3833 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hoitoider:
Not really puberty, but getting wisdom teeth in when I was in college seemed strange. It's pretty weird being 20 or so & still growing adult teeth, but I understand it's pretty common.

It's not just pretty common, it's the normal time for them to develop: late adolescence/early 20's. Getting them earlier than that would have been unusual, although it happens. A friend of mine had hers removed when she was in 8th or 9th grade.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AdmiralDinty

quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:
Originally posted by hoitoider:
Not really puberty, but getting wisdom teeth in when I was in college seemed strange. It's pretty weird being 20 or so & still growing adult teeth, but I understand it's pretty common.

It's not just pretty common, it's the normal time for them to develop: late adolescence/early 20's. Getting them earlier than that would have been unusual, although it happens. A friend of mine had hers removed when she was in 8th or 9th grade.
Yeah, I got mine in when I was 14 - right at the time when my braces came off. As a result, my teeth are back to their old, crooked, pre-7th grade pattern.

I'm just the paragon of ill-timed body changes.

--------------------

Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would be seeing a doctor just to make sure it is not something like thyroid or some other problem. If it is something normal you can have some peace of mind, if not then you save your self lot of trouble from not dealing with it.
Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but I've always heard that men develop at a much more slow and gradual pace than women, and that men's bodies (hair, muscle mass, etc.) will continue to develop through their twenties, while most women are fully developed by the time they've reached their twenties. Of course, that could be one of those "urban legends". [Wink]

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages